Blacktick

Default Audigy -> powered monitors: bad idea?

You'll be fine. I regularly 'blow out' the hr824s we have (when the mixer
is relaying the mac's speaker out). They will probably be fine.

"cam" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I have a half-decent pair of powered studio monitors that I want to
use with
the Audigy Platinum. Before I bought my Audigy, I used to take the
line-out from my soundcard to a mixing desk and the signal from
there to each of the speakers. I felt a bit safer having the desk
between the (crap) soundcard and the (rather expensive) studio
monitors.

With the Audigy, I'm tempted to take leads straight from the line-out
on the back of the card to each of the monitors - as long as I power
them up after booting and before shutdown, do I have anything to worry
about? I'm aware that it's a fairly Mickey Mouse card, as it were, so
I don't want to knacker the monitors...

Any experiences/advice gratefully received.
cam

Geoff Wood

"cam" wrote in message

Should be "Audigy - bad idea !"

But seriously, as long as you power up the active monitors last and turn
off first (or use the level controls equivalently, there should be no
difference compared with using a discrete amp and passive speakers. Or any
difference in comparison with any other soundcard (wrt powering up/down).

geoff

cam

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
I recommend making up a special cable that exploits the balanced

inputs of
your studio monitors if they are truly balanced. IOW the cable should be
balanced as close as possible to the 1/8" stereo headphone jack. This will
help minimize turn-off transients and hum.

Arny,

Do you mean a lead which utilise the 'balanced' XLRs on the backs of
the monitors? (These are Spirit Studio Monitors btw, but I don't have
the model number close to hand - they have nice little blue lights on
the front if that helps...)

I thought that connectors like these required an appropriate (i.e.
XLR) outs on the source? That little 1/8" jack just doesn't look
serious enough to have XLRs coming out of it...

Many thanks to everyone who bothered to reply - certainly more action
here than on creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy!

cam
Laurence Payne

I have a half-decent pair of powered studio monitors that I want to
use with
the Audigy Platinum. Before I bought my Audigy, I used to take the
line-out from my soundcard to a mixing desk and the signal from
there to each of the speakers. I felt a bit safer having the desk
between the (crap) soundcard and the (rather expensive) studio
monitors.

With the Audigy, I'm tempted to take leads straight from the line-out
on the back of the card to each of the monitors - as long as I power
them up after booting and before shutdown, do I have anything to worry
about? I'm aware that it's a fairly Mickey Mouse card, as it were, so
I don't want to knacker the monitors...

The Audigy can be bettered for audio performance, and has serious
limitations for musicians working with multi-track audio. But it's no
more likely to harm speakers than any other sound card.

What are you doing with this system? If any more than simple audio
playback, won't the mixer come in useful?

cam

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
Here's my *bible* of interconnects:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

If you go there and translate Rane's diagram #13 into 1/8" jacks (it's
drawn for 1/4 jacks which are electrically similar) you will have something
that can work very nicely in many circumstances.

Thanks a lot - a very useful reference. I'll seriously consider
digging out the soldering iron..

cam

cam

"Blacktick" wrote in message ...
You'll be fine. I regularly 'blow out' the hr824s we have (when the mixer
is relaying the mac's speaker out).

As in 'trip' - they just need power-cycled? If so, fine. I also
managed this via the desk once or twice with subbasses.

I just don't want to repeat an experience years ago when I blew out
(as in 'shafted') a nice little Mordaunt Short when pumping a Juno 106
through it...

cam

Brains with different monitors? DJ TecThreat Car Audio 1 July 13th 04 03:13 AM
powered subwoofers, its confusing me SpongeHead Car Audio 0 June 30th 04 09:53 PM
Edirol MA10D monitors Kingy75 General 0 November 16th 03 06:32 AM
ADAM P11a vs Truth Audio TA-1 monitors (not Behringer) Joshua David Pro Audio 1 July 24th 03 01:13 AM
opinions on Truth Monitors TA-1(not Behringer') Ron Florentine Pro Audio 1 July 2nd 03 03:28 PM