Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default DAW Copy/Replace - A True Savior

My memory of this song on CD, is garbled near the end. Seems a better source was later used (longer ending). However, the "sn" portion below sounds a tape edit, doesn't flow nicely. Was I going to leave it as others published? Heck no, they just look for money, not perfection in sound! A Copy/Replace feature fixed the annoyance! Also, on the mono mix this doesn't occur...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...rnunion-sn.mp3

Digitally enhanced!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...sternunion.mp3

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 8:03:14 PM UTC-4, JackA wrote:
My memory of this song on CD, is garbled near the end. Seems a better source was later used (longer ending). However, the "sn" portion below sounds a tape edit, doesn't flow nicely. Was I going to leave it as others published? Heck no, they just look for money, not perfection in sound! A Copy/Replace feature fixed the annoyance! Also, on the mono mix this doesn't occur....

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...rnunion-sn.mp3

Digitally enhanced!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...sternunion.mp3

Jack

I purchased a (4) CD set, just for (1) remix of a Top 40 song (Chairmen Of The Board). Tom Moulton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Moulton made it. Never did think much of Tom's (stereo) mixing, sort of amateurish sounding. The remix was flooded with bass. Yuck! Put amateurs in charge, and they drive people back to vinyl records.

I get reports that Tom is a hoarder (stolen property), has some material of Sun Records (copyright holders).

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 8:03:14 PM UTC-4, JackA wrote:
My memory of this song on CD, is garbled near the end. Seems a better source was later used (longer ending). However, the "sn" portion below sounds a tape edit, doesn't flow nicely. Was I going to leave it as others published? Heck no, they just look for money, not perfection in sound! A Copy/Replace feature fixed the annoyance! Also, on the mono mix this doesn't occur....

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...rnunion-sn.mp3

Digitally enhanced!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...sternunion.mp3

Jack

There HAS to be SOMEONE ELSE who enjoys enhancing audio/music!! Speak up!
I mean, you guys have that expensive software, I stand firm with budget software ( $50).
As I mentioned, Sterling Sound (NYC) did nothing BUT enhance sound, and made a bundle!! I have yet to hear them remix anything!! Actually, Bob Ludwig realized the potential and left there to hoard some cash of his own!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/7/2016 12:38 PM, JackA wrote:
There HAS to be SOMEONE ELSE who enjoys enhancing audio/music!! Speak up!

"Enhancing" covers a lot of ground. I really don't think this crowd is
really interested in what you're doing to already produced and sometimes
classic, that may have got buggered up somewhere on the long road
between the studio and you.

I "enhance" original recordings that I make or that are brought to me. I
don't try to re-do someone else's hard work.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 3:27:59 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/7/2016 12:38 PM, JackA wrote:
There HAS to be SOMEONE ELSE who enjoys enhancing audio/music!! Speak up!

"Enhancing" covers a lot of ground. I really don't think this crowd is
really interested in what you're doing to already produced and sometimes
classic, that may have got buggered up somewhere on the long road
between the studio and you.

I "enhance" original recordings that I make or that are brought to me. I
don't try to re-do someone else's hard work.

I see. If this newsgroup was R.A.P. - Rid Automobile Pollution, you'd argue horses are fine, and there is no need to "improve" anything.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: ""Enhancing" covers a lot of ground. I really don't
think this crowd is really interested in what you're doing to already
produced and sometimes classic, that may have got buggered up
somewhere on the long road between the studio and you.

I "enhance" original recordings that I make or that are brought to me. I
don't try to re-do someone else's hard work. "

Uhm Mike: Exactly what do you think has been
passed off on the masses as "remastered" for
the last 15-20 years? And why I won't buy it?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 6:59:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote: ""Enhancing" covers a lot of ground. I really don't
think this crowd is really interested in what you're doing to already
produced and sometimes classic, that may have got buggered up
somewhere on the long road between the studio and you.

I "enhance" original recordings that I make or that are brought to me. I
don't try to re-do someone else's hard work. "

Uhm Mike: Exactly what do you think has been
passed off on the masses as "remastered" for
the last 15-20 years? And why I won't buy it?

Before you begin to criticize, you must first understand the foundation of audio. In my opinion, many improvements can be made to existing audio.
Unlike you, I do not live in a prefect world. You and Mike would have left this as you found it, looking brick-walled, with no chance of audio improvement. I tone down what bothers me (bass frequencies), remaximize, and low and behold, the waveform now looks like I'd expect it to look like...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...littletime.mp3

Thank you.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 8/09/2016 5:27 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/7/2016 12:38 PM, JackA wrote:
There HAS to be SOMEONE ELSE who enjoys enhancing audio/music!! Speak up!

"Enhancing" covers a lot of ground. I really don't think this crowd is
really interested in what you're doing to already produced and sometimes
classic, that may have got buggered up somewhere on the long road
between the studio and you.

I "enhance" original recordings that I make or that are brought to me. I
don't try to re-do someone else's hard work.

Must admit I do these days if I like the song and can't stand what they
have done with it. That often means cutting the cRap out of songs now
where the producer has simply decided it would increase the market,
rather than improve the song at all. I don't care personally what others
choose to listen to, but why does it have to be added so often where it
is completely inappropriate? Now you may simply say listen to something
else, and I usually do, but there are a few I have "fixed" that I now
enjoy, and that is fine by me. In fact the first song I ever cut bits
out of was back in the day before CD's and PC's even existed and I had
to edit my tape! :-) Always preferred my version of "I saw her again
last night" without the false start. I know others disagree, and that's
their choice.

Then there are live albums with minutes of applause I'm happy to trim
off for my listening, or noises that don't belong and are easily fixed
these days. And plenty more I might attack if I had the time and could
be bothered. Most are simply not worth the effort of course.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 10:49:19 PM UTC-4, Trevor wrote:
[...]

Trevor does have a point. Personally, I love studio talk followed by the song w/ count-off. Sadly, for EMI's Legendary Masters series, the majority didn't care for the "chat", they just wanted the music.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Always preferred my version of "I saw her again
last night" without the false start. I know others disagree, and that's
their choice.

funny you should bring that up.

I just saw the M&P special on PBS and they discussed this very detail.

Yes it was a false start but they decided it was great and left it in.

Until I saw this, it never occurred to me that it was a "mistake" it seems perfect.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:02:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Always preferred my version of "I saw her again
last night" without the false start. I know others disagree, and that's
their choice.

funny you should bring that up.

I just saw the M&P special on PBS and they discussed this very detail.

Yes it was a false start but they decided it was great and left it in.

Until I saw this, it never occurred to me that it was a "mistake" it seems perfect.

But, with California Dreamin', music wasn't meant exclusively for M&P, but maybe Barry McGuire. Hard to say who wrote what, it's so tangled...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...niadreamin.mp3

Even with the "official" M&P release, Barry still can be heard singing!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:02:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Always preferred my version of "I saw her again
last night" without the false start. I know others disagree, and that's
their choice.

funny you should bring that up.

I just saw the M&P special on PBS and they discussed this very detail.

Yes it was a false start but they decided it was great and left it in.

Until I saw this, it never occurred to me that it was a "mistake" it seems perfect.

Mark, Jim Liddane (ISA, Ireland) told me a story where a music score was written, and the recording would be in a trunk of a car, hoping to find a decent group or singer to achieve a hit with it. Here's my story to verify...

Frankie & The Classicals - What Shall I Do? (1967) Mono (special mix). This song captured the attention of Bill Buster of Eric Records when I initially posted a crude stereo mix snippet. It was Tom Diehl (TopShelfOldies) who brought it to my attention that multiple artists utilized the (music) backing track hoping to score a hit. Honey Townsend (instrumental, Mala Records) opens this fine Philly regional hit. Kent Records, a division of Ace Records (UK), published it with an instrumental/spoken word intro that (DJ) Jerry Blavat initially told the record company (Calla Records, NY) to drop, since it's difficult to dance to. Other artists, such as The Essex, also attempted to score a hit with the backing track...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...atshallido.mp3

It was Jim who asked me if I was a recording engineer, probably due to my audio "enhancements", great, friendly person (once a DJ in the States).

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

theckmah @ braindamage . retardsRtheckmah . nut wrote...
Exactly what do you think has been
passed off on the masses as "remastered" for
the last 15-20 years? And why I won't buy it?

Nobody gives a **** what you won't buy, or why you keep mutilating the
rotting head of the dead hobbyhorse that't festering in your bed.
Thecccckkkhhhmah sleeps with the horses.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 8/09/2016 11:37 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/8/2016 9:02 AM, wrote:
Always preferred my version of "I saw her again
last night" without the false start. I know others disagree, and that's
their choice.

I just saw the M&P special on PBS and they discussed this very detail.
Yes it was a false start but they decided it was great and left it in.
Until I saw this, it never occurred to me that it was a "mistake" it
seems perfect.

A lot of people like to feel like they're "on the inside," but a little
of this goes a long way. You hear it too many times and it's no longer
all that cool.

Exactly my opinion. Same goes for too much applause on live recordings.
Boosts the artists ego's perhaps, but not something I want to listen to
repeatedly if I actually like the album. Since I've recorded a lot of
live concerts myself, I often have this discussion when they think I
have faded too early. The problem is of course they just want to sell
records, whether you still like all those decisions a year or decade
later is not relevant to them at the time. But may be to the listener.

Most people just don't play the track, but I guess some
will modify it to their liking. That's fine, but in the opinion of the
record producer, it's something that most people will enjoy, or at least
not mind hearing. And it makes that take unique since there will (or
are) certainly be alternates in circulation.

That's the thing, there weren't at the time. A lot easier for anyone
with a computer to "remaster" to their hearts content now of course.
These days of course they can just add the alternative cut as a bonus
track and let the buyer decide which they prefer. Not something anyone
would do with a vinyl LP though.

And the producers opinion is just that, an opinion you may or may not
agree with. Hell the artists themselves often don't agree with the
producer! Been in the middle of that fight many times myself. So why
should any listener think the producers decision is *always* the best?
And even the producer has been known to change their mind later.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

On 9/7/2016 9:49 PM, Trevor wrote:
[...]

I cut noise and applause too. I'm more interested in the guitar so I'll cut a
out lot of other instruments' solos in the group's performance. 30 min. drum
solos, Flamenco dance steps and such get old real fast. Audition CS6 is good at
this. I just casually highlight the undesired parts and hit delete. Audition is
very good at keeping the beat on track and other things to make the splice
almost seamless. Sure beats editing tape.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/09/2016 10:42 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
I cut noise and applause too. I'm more interested in the guitar so I'll
cut a out lot of other instruments' solos in the group's performance. 30
min. drum solos, Flamenco dance steps and such get old real fast.
Audition CS6 is good at this. I just casually highlight the undesired
parts and hit delete. Audition is very good at keeping the beat on track
and other things to make the splice almost seamless.

Sure beats editing tape.

You can say that again! I've said that for a couple of decades, but
still amazes me some actually disagree.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I tend to take the first edition of anything - on
CD or vinyl - as canonical. Leave in the imperfections,
the inconsistent levels, that dropout 2/3 way through,
etc.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 8:50:18 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I tend to take the first edition of anything - on
CD or vinyl - as canonical. Leave in the imperfections,
the inconsistent levels, that dropout 2/3 way through,
etc.

First edition of what, 45, LP, reel tape, cassette, 8 track, CD, SACD, etc.?

Jack

Sarah Palin Isn’t Our Savior Bret L Audio Opinions 0 July 23rd 09 04:56 AM
fa rca 77 mic copy hydebee Vacuum Tubes 0 July 16th 06 07:04 PM
fa rca 77 mic copy hydebee Marketplace 0 July 16th 06 07:04 PM
Best way to copy LPs to CD??? Marty Troum Audio Opinions 4 April 2nd 06 02:03 AM
Looking to replace my DAW... Henry Padilla Pro Audio 6 May 18th 05 11:54 PM