Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Studio CD player recommendation?

JackA wrote: "Face it, these remastering gurus, after they "remaster" and played the CD, they yelled, "Houston, we have sound!"
and that was it. Luckily with DAW, you can AT LEAST make those tons of CDs sound as good as their vinyl counterparts. "

That's why the vast majority of CDs in my collection are original
release.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:52:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Face it, these remastering gurus, after they "remaster" and played the CD, they yelled, "Houston, we have sound!"
and that was it. Luckily with DAW, you can AT LEAST make those tons of CDs sound as good as their vinyl counterparts. "

That's why the vast majority of CDs in my collection are original
release.

(10) for $1.00 variety, in other words.

One of my (late 80's) "first" CDs was an Elton John's greatest hits. Its tape hiss loaded sound could choke a horse; vinyl LP sounded superior. I even returned the CD player, since pristine sound could not be had from spent tapes.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 22/06/2016 10:47 a.m., JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:52:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Face it, these remastering gurus, after they "remaster" and played the CD, they yelled, "Houston, we have sound!"
and that was it. Luckily with DAW, you can AT LEAST make those tons of CDs sound as good as their vinyl counterparts. "

That's why the vast majority of CDs in my collection are original
release.

(10) for $1.00 variety, in other words.

One of my (late 80's) "first" CDs was an Elton John's greatest hits. Its tape hiss loaded sound could choke a horse;

Accuracy to the master eh ! Should buy a remastered one, preferably
recent since noise-reduction and other technology (DAW-processing bit
depth) got hugely better.

vinyl LP sounded superior.

Limited HF response.

I even returned the CD player, since pristine sound could not be had from spent tapes.

Jack

???

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 7:28:06 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 22/06/2016 10:47 a.m., JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:52:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Face it, these remastering gurus, after they "remaster" and played the CD, they yelled, "Houston, we have sound!"
and that was it. Luckily with DAW, you can AT LEAST make those tons of CDs sound as good as their vinyl counterparts. "

That's why the vast majority of CDs in my collection are original
release.

(10) for $1.00 variety, in other words.

One of my (late 80's) "first" CDs was an Elton John's greatest hits. Its tape hiss loaded sound could choke a horse;

Accuracy to the master eh ! Should buy a remastered one, preferably
recent since noise-reduction and other technology (DAW-processing bit
depth) got hugely better.

It was funny when Warner claimed "new noise reduction" used on The Doors (CD) catalog, when I knew they found/used the multi-tracks. Even have some (multi-tracks) myself, as evidence bucko!! Warner was always warning "Danger, Analog Recordings Ahead!" on CD! Funny how they stopped.

You need to gather the evidence before you speak.

Jack

vinyl LP sounded superior.

Limited HF response.

I even returned the CD player, since pristine sound could not be had from spent tapes.

Jack

???

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "Accuracy to the master eh ! Should buy a remastered one, preferably "

I own all the original release Elton John greatest hits
CDs, and never noticed the amount of tape hiss
JackA claims - even through Sony 7506's.

I wouldn't want the remasters - reduced dynamic
range I already know about.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 21/06/2016 11:21 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
Pressed CDs seem to last pretty long, but CDRs aren't worth a hoot as
long term storage. Most people have found at least a few that won't play
after 10 years. I have tape more than 50 years old that still plays just
fine.

But a lot of original tapes lost, stolen, damaged in fires etc. with
sadly no possibility of lossless backup. I've found recovery of music
from many CD's that "won't play" is often not that difficult. Unlike
program files, a few corrupt bits of music data is easily fixed. By
comparison tape would have the equivalent of millions of "corrupt" bits
due to HF loss, print through etc. Not even counting the added noise and
distortion when the tape was new!

And I think I still have a deck of punch cards in the attic that did
something useful at one time. Even if you don't have access to a card
reader today, you can read the data by eye and create a binary file from
it. I once figured out how many 80-column cards it would take to store a
3 minute "CD quality" song. Now you can probably Google it.

Punch cards are easily damaged in fires and floods, far better to chisel
the data in stone. In fact pressed polycarbonate is probably better than
stone anyway.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 22/06/2016 4:18 PM, Trevor wrote:

Punch cards are easily damaged in fires and floods, far better to chisel
the data in stone. In fact pressed polycarbonate is probably better than
stone anyway.

M-Disc

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 8:55:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
geoff wrote: "Accuracy to the master eh ! Should buy a remastered one, preferably "

I own all the original release Elton John greatest hits
CDs, and never noticed the amount of tape hiss
JackA claims - even through Sony 7506's.

I wouldn't want the remasters - reduced dynamic
range I already know about.

Then, what exactly are you here for?
You seemed pleased with any early CD, you can find tons of them on Amazon, from private sellers, for pennies on the dollar.

Just like Randy (past participant) he wanted to show me up with BS&T. I heard tape hiss, and THAT is what the people here dig, noisy audio? Ned a .FLAC to hear it better? Granted, I am thankful Randy shared that BS&T hit stereo "single", forgot it contains some guitar work void from album mixes!!
Like Trevor, oh, no, that Stone Poneys song is the original mix. Really, very unimpressed here with people's knowledge of past music.

Take care.

Jack

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Oh boy, Trevor you really inspire confidence:

"But a lot of original tapes lost, stolen, damaged in fires etc. with
sadly no possibility of lossless backup. I've found recovery of music
from many CD's that "won't play" is often not that difficult. Unlike
program files, a few corrupt bits of music data is easily fixed. By
comparison tape would have the equivalent of millions of "corrupt" bits
due to HF loss, print through etc. Not even counting the added noise and"

Why focus on all the potential disasters
that might never happen?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

Why vinyl LPs are making a comeback, people prefer to hear less!! :-)

Jack