Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

Default identify this device

On 6/14/2016 8:01 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/14/2016 8:48 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
That's why they're [spring reverb] on Fender guitar amps. I like it, so far as
it goes.
I can't imagine running snare thru it though.

Well, you're just missing out on an opportunity. You've be surprised at how much
stuff that sounds awful on its own makes a little change in a recording that
makes you perk up your ears.

You don't want to be the guy who always uses a spring reverb on a snare, but
some time you might run into a project that you think just needs a little
something else, and a little spring reverb on a snare might be it - sometimes.

Reverb does add some spice. It was a must have in the 60 and 70s when I was
playing guitar and steel. I'm surprised how my taste has changed in my old age.
I no prefer almost/no reverb at all. It kills the definition. I like the sound
right in my ear rather that from the other end of a cathedral. In fact I wish I
could remove it from some of the stuff I have. I can't recall anything I have
that sounds better with more reverb. There are some very poor recordings that it
does seem to help sometimes. What I really like is hearing a small acoustic
group where I can hear each instrument clearly, in their own space, as opposed
to being at the bottom of a well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Trevor wrote:

So your ultimate mix is total silence? John Cage fan perhaps?

"Music is the space between the notes."
-- Franz Liszt

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Trevor wrote:

Wouldn't it be FAR easier to simply stop after recording the first
track? Save a lot of time putting stuff in and taking it out again!

Sometimes that is indeed the best thing to do. The early Joan Baez recordings
were made this way. Sadly, the later ones were not.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 17/06/2016 12:46 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
Yeah, but mixes get better when you start taking stuff out.

So your ultimate mix is total silence? John Cage fan perhaps?

Nah. You Madman Muntz it. Take stuff out til it stops working,
then put that last piece back in.

Wouldn't it be FAR easier to simply stop after recording the first
track? Save a lot of time putting stuff in and taking it out again!

Have you ever been part of a musical ensemble? This approximates
the part of that... experience where final arrangement decisions are
made in rehearsal.

But who gets to decide which members of the ensemble are taken out?

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/06/2016 5:56 PM, Trevor wrote:

Have you ever been part of a musical ensemble? This approximates
the part of that... experience where final arrangement decisions are
made in rehearsal.

But who gets to decide which members of the ensemble are taken out?

The 'members' aren't necessarily taken out. Elements of the arrangement
are taken out.

..... by any of; the band-leader, the producer, the artistic director,
the majority, or the person with the best persuasion skills.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

"Music is the space between the notes."
-- Franz Liszt

"Music is the greatest silent force in the world." - Lionel Richie
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

geoff writes:

On 17/06/2016 5:56 PM, Trevor wrote:

Have you ever been part of a musical ensemble? This approximates
the part of that... experience where final arrangement decisions are
made in rehearsal.

But who gets to decide which members of the ensemble are taken out?

The 'members' aren't necessarily taken out. Elements of the arrangement
are taken out.

.... by any of; the band-leader, the producer, the artistic director,
the majority, or the person with the best persuasion skills.

Or -- for better or worse -- the exec producer (or whoever has the gold and is
making the rules).

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 17/06/2016 12:46 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
Yeah, but mixes get better when you start taking stuff out.

So your ultimate mix is total silence? John Cage fan perhaps?

Nah. You Madman Muntz it. Take stuff out til it stops working,
then put that last piece back in.

Wouldn't it be FAR easier to simply stop after recording the first
track? Save a lot of time putting stuff in and taking it out again!

Have you ever been part of a musical ensemble? This approximates
the part of that... experience where final arrangement decisions are
made in rehearsal.

But who gets to decide which members of the ensemble are taken out?

Either the producer or the arranger, depending on who wins the wrestling
match.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 17/06/2016 6:44 PM, geoff wrote:
On 17/06/2016 5:56 PM, Trevor wrote:
Have you ever been part of a musical ensemble? This approximates
the part of that... experience where final arrangement decisions are
made in rehearsal.

But who gets to decide which members of the ensemble are taken out?

The 'members' aren't necessarily taken out. Elements of the arrangement
are taken out.

.... by any of; the band-leader, the producer, the artistic director,
the majority, or the person with the best persuasion skills.

Oops, forgot the sarcasm emoji.

Trevor.