Posted to rec.audio.pro
Erik Korte[_2_] Erik Korte[_2_] is offline

Default Firewire Bus Power

Hi.

I've been using my Echo AudioFire12 for years with my Mac Pro, but now
I'm using it in the field with my MacBook (no-pro).

The AF 12 is (AC) self powered yet the MacBook automatically sends it
bus power, thusly running hotter and the fan never stops.

If I plug in a 6 pin FW cable to the MacBook and leave the other end
un-attached the fan never turns on. When I plug in the AF 12, the fan
starts up (within a few minutes).

It there an adapter cable or a mod that can be done to the AF12 so it
doesn't "ask" for bus power? Or is there a way to disable Firewire bus
power on the Mac (10.6.5)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Erik
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Clayton Mike Clayton is offline

Erik Korte wrote:
Hi.

I've been using my Echo AudioFire12 for years with my Mac Pro, but now
I'm using it in the field with my MacBook (no-pro).

The AF 12 is (AC) self powered yet the MacBook automatically sends it
bus power, thusly running hotter and the fan never stops.

If I plug in a 6 pin FW cable to the MacBook and leave the other end
un-attached the fan never turns on. When I plug in the AF 12, the fan
starts up (within a few minutes).

It there an adapter cable or a mod that can be done to the AF12 so it
doesn't "ask" for bus power? Or is there a way to disable Firewire bus
power on the Mac (10.6.5)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Erik

Firewire cables that don't pass bus power are freely available. A Google
search will find you local suppliers.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

On Dec 1, 4:08*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Erik Korte" wrote in message

Hi.

I've been using my Echo AudioFire12 for years with my Mac Pro, but now
I'm using it in the field with my MacBook (no-pro).

The AF 12 is (AC) self powered yet the MacBook automatically sends it
bus power, thusly running hotter and the fan never stops.

If I plug in a 6 pin FW cable to the MacBook and leave the other end
un-attached the fan never turns on. When I plug in the AF 12, the fan
starts up (within a few minutes).

It there an adapter cable or a mod that can be done to the AF12 so it
doesn't "ask" for bus power? Or is there a way to disable Firewire bus
power on the Mac (10.6.5)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Erik

See thishttp://www.mlancentral.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=6&Board=mLAN&Numbe...

There is/was actually an inline adapter that does what you want, but I could
not spot it in a casual search.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Found it. Bus power isolator.
http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-cfe-66-np06.html
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Erik Korte" wrote in message

[...]

Hey....

Thanks. I wonder if this would be that different from using a 6 pin -
4 pin cable with a 4 - 6 adapter on the end?
Or am I over simplifying it some?