Fredas

Default Realtime audio capture program?

If you want to capture PC video in realtime, there is a handy
program called Fraps which works perfectly well. But, amazingly,
I am having a difficult time locating the audio counterpart to
Fraps.

Preferably, I would like to be able to tell the program to capture
audio in OGG format, to split the audio into chunks of 30 or 60
minutes, and only capture the audio generated by a specific
application. But finding a capture program at ALL is difficult
enough so I'm mostly just interested in knowing what all is
available.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Fredas

Thanks for the recommendation. I've checked the program out. It seems
to be a good match for my needs. However, I have not yet been able to
figure out how to force it to export the audio (as OGG) in realtime.
For now,
all I can do is record to (presumably) ram, and then stop recording at
some
point and tell Audacity to export the recorded audio. I don't even
want to
think about how that would go if I'd been recording for eight hours.

What option have I overlooked?

Kurt Albershardt

Fredas wrote:

I would like to be able to tell the program to capture
audio in OGG format, to split the audio into chunks of 30 or 60
minutes, and only capture the audio generated by a specific
application. But finding a capture program at ALL is difficult
enough so I'm mostly just interested in knowing what all is
available.

http://totalrecorder.com/
John Phillips

I agree! Total Recorder will do what you want. I use it every day and save
as mp3 but you can do OGG.

http://www.highcriteria.com/

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
Fredas wrote:

I would like to be able to tell the program to capture
audio in OGG format, to split the audio into chunks of 30 or 60
minutes, and only capture the audio generated by a specific
application. But finding a capture program at ALL is difficult
enough so I'm mostly just interested in knowing what all is
available.

http://totalrecorder.com/

J. P. Morris

Fredas wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've checked the program out. It seems
to be a good match for my needs. However, I have not yet been able to
figure out how to force it to export the audio (as OGG) in realtime.
For now,
all I can do is record to (presumably) ram, and then stop recording at
some
point and tell Audacity to export the recorded audio. I don't even
want to
think about how that would go if I'd been recording for eight hours.

What option have I overlooked?

This is half-crazy, but under linux I tried this:

arecord -fcd - | oggenc - -o out.ogg

...it seemed to work. Not sure offhand how you'd limit the duration,
and more importantly you probably want a solution for Windows.

It might work on the Mac if you can get vorbistools for that, but you'll
still need a way of recording from the commandline to a pipe.
Perhaps something like:

cat /dev/audio | oggenc - -o out.ogg

...I don't have access to a mac, so I can't help you find the right
/dev file.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Fun things to do with the Ultima games
Rayn2 Rayn2 is offline
Junior Member

What about capture video try use Screen VidShot http://macvide.com/Macvide_ScreenCap/.It's prog can record screen video and audio)