Mr. Bigstuff

Default I got ripped off!

My local shop (House of Car Stereo Lansing MI) sold me a new set of 5.25s
for the front about 3 months ago. Just for the hell of it I tested my old
speakers at school. They both meter fine. What would you do? I guess I do
have the new model blaopunkts.....still.....

MZ

My local shop (House of Car Stereo Lansing MI) sold me a new set of 5.25s
for the front about 3 months ago. Just for the hell of it I tested my old
speakers at school. They both meter fine. What would you do? I guess I do
have the new model blaopunkts.....still.....

What do you mean they meter fine? There's more to blowing a speaker than
changing the resistance of the coil.

Dark1

"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
They sound fine. They werent playing before I went in and now when I hook
them back up they are fine. BTW how can a speaker blow w/o changing the
resistance?

overexcursion.. blowing it by exceeding the mechanical, rather than thermal
limits..
example: http://home.columbus.rr.com/strangem...ic1800x600.JPG
2kw into an elemental SP... coil reads just fine, just happened to come all
the way out of the magnet and land on the top plate

bobb

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:07:26 -0500, "Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote:

They sound fine. They werent playing before I went in and now when I hook
them back up they are fine. BTW how can a speaker blow w/o changing the
resistance?

Sound fine as in when you push it hard, it's still fine?

What made you switch? No sound? or it sounded horrible all of a
sudden?

MZ

"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
They sound fine. They werent playing before I went in and now when I hook
them back up they are fine. BTW how can a speaker blow w/o changing the
resistance?

Aside from the example dark1 provided, the coil's "insulator", so to speak,
is often not the first thing to melt. Oftentimes it can become deformed
first, and no longer operate within the small confines that a voice coil is
designed to operate in. This typically wouldn't register on the meter.

Eddie Runner

alot of folks are showing ways to justify the shop
swapping out these speakers... Or showing the speakers
may be blown and still read something with an ohm meter..

But the real issue is whether the shop took advantage of
the customer, in other words like the title of the message.
DID HE GET RIPPED OFF BY THE SHOP?

it is certainly possible.....

If he took the car in to the shop cause the speakers didnt play,
and now the speakers DO PLAY after they have been removed,
there seems to be some discrepency right there...

Its pretty common for a salesman to say, "speakers out? Lets
replace em"

Customer says "Yes, if thats what it takes"

Then the installers get the job from the salesman, they may not
have been advised to trouble shoot the factory speakers, they
likely just thought it was a speaker swap cause the customer
wants better speakers.... The installers may have run accross
the real problem (loose wire or whatever) and fixed it in the
course of doing a normal speaker swap...

Of course there are also unscrupulous shops that may find the
loose wire, and then falsly claim the speakers are bad just to
make a bigger sale.

Or the not so brainy shops that might blindly replace the speakers
HOPING it would fix the problem, then after the speakers are in
the darned thing still doesnt play so they put a little brain power
into the job to actually find and fix the probem, then they have
the delima of not wanting to pull the new speakers out, so they lie
and tell you it was the speakers....

There are really alot of scenarios that could have happened, its
really up to the customer to decide whether he thinks he was
treated right or if he feels RIPPED OFF...

Being an installer I can only add my input about the kind of things I
have seen happen that are similar to this deal...

Eddie

bobb

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:11:17 GMT, Eddie Runner
wrote:

There are really alot of scenarios that could have happened, its
really up to the customer to decide whether he thinks he was
treated right or if he feels RIPPED OFF...

I am a customer, and I say the customers have to be a savvy consumers.
Of course the shop wants to replace the speakers. It takes effort/time
to go into the dash, look around. The shop is not going to say "ah, a
sheered off wired, no charge!" That would be great, but no business is
going to survive long that way.

If you know how to "meter" a spkr, u know how to take it off, hook it
up to your home stereo and test it out blah-blah-blah. No time to do
this yourself, well...

Dark1

"Dark1" wrote in message

"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
They sound fine. They werent playing before I went in and now when I
hook them back up they are fine. BTW how can a speaker blow w/o changing
the resistance?

overexcursion.. blowing it by exceeding the mechanical, rather than
thermal limits..
example:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/strangem...ic1800x600.JPG
2kw into an elemental SP... coil reads just fine, just happened to come
all the way out of the magnet and land on the top plate

heh...yeah...result of pure stupdity.. in my excitement of finally getting
it all installed (spent months putting it together) I didn't get the trunk
closed all the way..
just jumped in and started turning it up, wondering why it wasn't very loud
without ever looking back to see the trunk opened all the way back up..
about the moment I noticed I got there just in time to hear it cry for mercy
before ripping the spider in half..
never even got to hear it really play.. 300 down the drain.. and you can't
buy these anymore =(