BGManne

Default FA: McIntosh MC-240 Amp and C20 Pre Amp

I have recently posted Ebay auctions of a gorgeous McIntosh MC-240 Amp
and very nice C20 PreAmp. Both pieces have been inside a closed
cabinet/entertainment center since their purchase in about 1962 and
look terrific. I recently removed them and took them to a qualified
electronics technician for a thorough inspection, cleaning and minor
repairs – a couple of new tubes, a new power cord on the amp…. They
are now sound every bit as sweet as they look. Check them out on Ebay
under auction numbers 3081153916 (Amp) and 3081157540 (PreAmp). The
auctions end March 4 at about 8PM EST and 8:20PM EST, respectively.
Also, I have a nonworking McIntosh MR-55a Tuner that goes to the
winning Amp bidder (if they want it) for just the cost of shipping.
progunner

Hi Steve,

INDEED! Houston is rife with hucksters and rip-off artists...PT Barnum
would be proud!

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=au... le.com&rnum=2

I am not sure if you saw this earlier thread (see url above)
surrounding this guy and these auctions, but these two ebay auctions
have all of the earmarks of a swindler.

Low feedback on a very desirable, high dollar item...

User ID kept private...

"RESERVE MET" Yeah RIGHT!...

This guy actually admits that he is a lawyer...(the only form of being
lower than a cockroach)..."My name is Burton Manne. I am a lawyer in
the Houston, Texas area"

Hey, maybe it's really Bill Clinton masquerading as an audiophile
huckster to raise money for his porn library in Little Rock!

I suspect that he will not answer this thread, and allow his auctions
to close quietly...
----
I too have purchased a 10B tuner from Ebay a while
back and the seller claimed it has been went through by a Technician. Upon
receiving it, I found out all the tubes are weak and one of the opto
isolators for the Stereo switching is bad. I have to swap in the mono one to
get the Stereo receiption to work properly.

----
Yepp! ebay is (very unfortunately) a dumping ground for problematic
audio gear to unsuspecting buyers.

I feel for ya, and hope that you can restore your mac w/o too much
trouble or expense.

By the way, wouldn't it be funny if a Houston local redneck won this
guy's auction(s), and
it turned out to be a rip-off!

Boy, I'd love to be a fly on THAT wall...

James
Steve O'Neill

Hi:

"Steve Yeung" wrote in message

snip

BTW, anyone know where to get a replacement for the isolator ?

FWIW the original isolators are bad more often than not...they were in my
10B. I guess it's a rite of initiation for new 10B owners

Reproduction 10B opto-isolators show up on epay frequently. Usually around
$40 for a set of three

Apparently there is nothing more to these opto-isolators than an NE-2 neon
bulb optically coupled to one or two photo-resistors. It appears that the
failure mode is the NE-2 failing to ignite as it gets older. So another
repair possibility if you're so inclined would be to unpot the coupler and
replace the bulb. Unfortunately, I've not found any solvent that attacks
the potting compound and I'm afraid that heat necessary to open it up would
damage the photo-resistor so mine still await some unpotting revelation.

--
Steve