Mr. Bigstuff

Default Speaker Wiring Question

Can I wire 3 dual 6ohm voice coild subs into a 2 ohm load? I think 1 ohm is
blowing my amp.

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:00:06 -0500, "Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote:

Can I wire 3 dual 6ohm voice coild subs into a 2 ohm load? I think 1 ohm is
blowing my amp.

Only use one voice coil from each sub, and wire the three subs
together in parallel. That will give you an overall 2-ohm load. The
total power handling will be reduced since you'll only be using one
coil per speaker, but it won't be cut in half or anything that
drastic.

Scott Gardner

SF

Actually, yes

6 6 ohm loads in parallel will equal 1 ohm.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:00:06 -0500, "Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote:

Can I wire 3 dual 6ohm voice coild subs into a 2 ohm load? I think 1 ohm

is
blowing my amp.

Only use one voice coil from each sub, and wire the three subs
together in parallel. That will give you an overall 2-ohm load. The
total power handling will be reduced since you'll only be using one
coil per speaker, but it won't be cut in half or anything that
drastic.

Scott Gardner

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:00:08 GMT, "SF"
wrote:

Actually, yes

6 6 ohm loads in parallel will equal 1 ohm.

That's true, but it's the one-ohm load that he suspects is giving him
trouble. What he was asking for was a way to wire the subs as a TWO
ohm load.

Scott Gardner

Cyrus

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Tech...oilDrivers.pdf

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Mr. Bigstuff

Read the 3rd? question down in this faq from Audiobahn (i have audiobahn
subs). http://www.audiobahn.com/frame2004.html
Im reading conflicting info here. Should I really be worrying about trying
to wire these down to 2 ohms in stead of 1ohm? Was my A2200HCT blowing
because I was running it at 1ohm or because it is a piece of junk? Will the
Directed 1500d be fine running my subs at 1ohm?
"Cyrus" wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Bigstuff" sd!
wrote:

I though I head that you cant use only one voice coil.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Tech...oilDrivers.pdf

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Mr. Bigstuff

Well the link wont take you to it but it reads: " Q:Is it necessary to wire
both voice coils of my subs up to an amplifier?
A: Yes, by wiring only one voice coil , you can cause damage to the
subwoofer making it unplayable. You always need to wire both voice coils
together."
"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
Read the 3rd? question down in this faq from Audiobahn (i have audiobahn
subs). http://www.audiobahn.com/frame2004.html
Im reading conflicting info here. Should I really be worrying about trying
to wire these down to 2 ohms in stead of 1ohm? Was my A2200HCT blowing
because I was running it at 1ohm or because it is a piece of junk? Will
the Directed 1500d be fine running my subs at 1ohm?
"Cyrus" wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Bigstuff" sd!
wrote:

I though I head that you cant use only one voice coil.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Tech...oilDrivers.pdf

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

MZ

That's simply untrue. The Adire audio site clearly demonstrates why you CAN
wire only one VC. If you'd like an explanation, just ask.

Or, alternatively, since those who claim it could be damaging never offer an
explanation, that should tip you off right there.

"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
Well the link wont take you to it but it reads: " Q:Is it necessary to
wire both voice coils of my subs up to an amplifier?
A: Yes, by wiring only one voice coil , you can cause damage to the
subwoofer making it unplayable. You always need to wire both voice coils
together."
"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
Read the 3rd? question down in this faq from Audiobahn (i have audiobahn
subs). http://www.audiobahn.com/frame2004.html
Im reading conflicting info here. Should I really be worrying about
trying to wire these down to 2 ohms in stead of 1ohm? Was my A2200HCT
blowing because I was running it at 1ohm or because it is a piece of
junk? Will the Directed 1500d be fine running my subs at 1ohm?
"Cyrus" wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Bigstuff" sd!
wrote:

I though I head that you cant use only one voice coil.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Tech...oilDrivers.pdf

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Mr. Bigstuff

Well at this point I trust you guys more than I do Audiobahn. Ill look into
it.

"MZ" wrote in message
That's simply untrue. The Adire audio site clearly demonstrates why you
CAN wire only one VC. If you'd like an explanation, just ask.

Or, alternatively, since those who claim it could be damaging never offer
an explanation, that should tip you off right there.

"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
Well the link wont take you to it but it reads: " Q:Is it necessary to
wire both voice coils of my subs up to an amplifier?
A: Yes, by wiring only one voice coil , you can cause damage to the
subwoofer making it unplayable. You always need to wire both voice coils
together."
"Mr. Bigstuff" sd! wrote in message
Read the 3rd? question down in this faq from Audiobahn (i have audiobahn
subs). http://www.audiobahn.com/frame2004.html
Im reading conflicting info here. Should I really be worrying about
trying to wire these down to 2 ohms in stead of 1ohm? Was my A2200HCT
blowing because I was running it at 1ohm or because it is a piece of
junk? Will the Directed 1500d be fine running my subs at 1ohm?
"Cyrus" wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Bigstuff" sd!
wrote:

I though I head that you cant use only one voice coil.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Tech...oilDrivers.pdf

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
Dumb (stupid?) speaker question... docsavage Pro Audio 9 July 22nd 04 03:53 PM
Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
Speaker Wiring affects phase relationships Bill Pallies Car Audio 6 November 13th 03 09:09 PM
Speaker Wire & Sound Quality Question Nousaine High End Audio 3 September 16th 03 03:43 PM