Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Default Speaker Impedence

As we all know, OEM Bose systems have speakers that are very low
impedence...1/2 ohm, or 1 ohm, or something like that.

Is there any way, in terms of adding resisters and the like, to lower the
impedence of regular speakers from 4 ohm down to 1/2 or 1 ohm? Something
that I can do myself and be able to replace the Bose speakers with my own?

Or, if this isn't possible, are there any manufacturers out there that make
very low impedence speakers?

Excuse my ignorance. I've always been ohm-challenged.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

puttin resistors in-line does very little, becuase while it drops the
impedence, half the power just gets wasted through heat through the
resistor anyways, so there is really no extra power going to the
speaker.

all you can do is replace the speakers and take the power hit, or else
replace the head unit and/or get an external amp to power the new
speakers.

lowest speaker impedences I've seen are 2 ohm, by infinity kappas,
orion HCCA's, and I think image dynamics made some. but buying for
impedence only is sort of the worst way to buy because it has no affect
on sound (given the same power).

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"but buying for impedence only is sort of the worst way to buy because it
has no affect on sound (given the same power)."

Thanks for your response. I understood everything you said except for this
last sentence (see above).

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
eezip eezip is offline

As long as your amplifier doesn't overcurrent, there's no reason it
can't run a 1 or 0.5ohm load. Try it out. That is pretty darn low, but
keep the gain low and give it a shot. You might be fine. If the amp
cuts out or goes into protect at high volumes, then it's pretty clear
it can't support that load.

Of course, this only works if the amp has good overcurrent protection.
Every amp should have, but it's possible some amps can't fully protect
themselves. Try it at your own risk.

--
eezip
Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Eezip,

This has nothing to do with trying to run any amps at low impedance loads.
I'm trying to find speakers to replace the Bose speakers, which are 1 or 2
ohms, or something like that.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Not good advice, I'm afraid Tony. I know EEZIP means well but I blew an amp
once (a Rockford Fosgate Punch 75, an amp KNOWN for it's reliability) doing
EXACTLY what he is recommending. But then again, I have seen others who
have done this with amps not rated for those impedences with no problems.
Of course, it all depends on the amp, but THERE ARE DANGERS. Frankly, if
you value the amp, I wouldn't do it.

Nick

"eezip" wrote in message

As long as your amplifier doesn't overcurrent, there's no reason it
can't run a 1 or 0.5ohm load. Try it out. That is pretty darn low, but
keep the gain low and give it a shot. You might be fine. If the amp
cuts out or goes into protect at high volumes, then it's pretty clear
it can't support that load.

Of course, this only works if the amp has good overcurrent protection.
Every amp should have, but it's possible some amps can't fully protect
themselves. Try it at your own risk.

--
eezip

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

This has nothing to do with trying to run any amps at low impedance loads.
I'm trying to find speakers to replace the Bose speakers, which are 1 or 2
ohms, or something like that.

Tony

Oh, sorry Tony. I didn't read this message before I posted the other. Oh

well, what I said still stands of course.

See ya,

Nick

making a speaker selector box andrew_h Tech 3 March 9th 06 02:31 PM
The Art of Bose Bashing and Amar's Supposed Descent into Mediocrity Wylie Williams General 3 September 27th 04 03:16 AM
Using a speaker switch box in reverse? Lee J Tech 3 July 24th 04 01:00 PM
Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
Comments about Blind Testing watch king High End Audio 24 January 28th 04 04:03 PM