Ban

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

Nousaine wrote:

The best part of modern listening is that anybody can have a 2 or
greater channel system that blows the doors off the best 1970s could
offer no matter how rich you were.

I disagree here, one of my first customers in 1972(I worked as a student
part-time in a HiFi shop) wanted a decent reproduction gear mostly for
playing wheel to wheel tapes on an Ampex which were original masters. He was
a film director. I got him some ESS speakers with the AMT Heil transducer
and a 12" woofer, and as amplifier a combo Citation 11 and 12. Guess, he
still is using that same gear at home. And all of the components have become
legendary. Now I believe there are not many new speakers with better
resolution and in fact the AMT is still sold. The EQ on that Citation11 is
utterly useful, even if there are only 5 sliders for each side. Also the
CrownDC350 is a decent amp still manufactured. I think the 70s were the time
with the most progress in audio, studio automation, 24 channel multitrack 2"
tapes, introduction of digital sound processing, invention of CD...
And not only technically but also musically the most creative time. Great
rock groups and solo musicians were coming up, almost daily new records were
recorded that still today have not been surpassed.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 7/26/2004 9:32 PM Pacific Standard Time

On 25 Jul 2004 19:05:01 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 23 Jul 2004 19:09:10 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

Oh Sure; and the Thelma Huston "Pressure Cooker" lps I bought with
the
assurance that once the masters were used up there would never be
availability
again; was forever askanst by the release of the same material on cd;
in a
couple years by the "discovery" of analog back-up copies that were
made at the
time.

What a crock; then and now.

Sorry Sheffield announced from the beginning that they were making

analog
recordings as backups, and that they might be released after the direct

disks were gone. The only think promised was that the direct-to-disks

were
limited in number and once sold, were gone forever.

That is simply not true. I collected many Sheffields in the '70s,
right from Lab 1 (the third in the series.....), and no mention was
*ever* made of the existence of any backup tapes, until *after* all
the DD discs were safely in music stores.

The fact that they didn't tell you personally doesn't mean it wasn't in
their press releases and interviews.

So quote one single source of such a statement from *before* the
Treasury series magically appeared.

Quote one single source from Sheffield that claims they would never do reissues
from the analog tape backups. Their claim was that the direct to discs were
limited editions. That was true and still is true.

The crock is your mistaken assertion.

No, the crock is Sheffield telling porkies to keep up prices.

S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 7/25/2004 7:56 AM Pacific Standard Time
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:14:20 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 7/22/2004 10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time
The nice thing about classical CDs
is that they are almost never compressed- because they don't *have* to
be,

Most of them sure sound compressed.

A classic beginners mistake.

I am not a beginner in this hobby.

Compressed music always *appears* more
'dynamic' than genuinely wide range sound -

maybe to you. Not to many experienced listeners. Not to me.

radio station sound
engineers have known this for many decades

Radio engineers use compression for many reasons none of which have anything to
do with high end audio.

Truly wide range sound,
such as is easily obtianable from CD, sounds slightly 'flat' by
comparison - but more like the original mic feed.

Not according to some people who actually compare playback to mic feeds.

whereas more than 90% of all classical LPs have noticeable
compression, if only to lift the low-level detail above the noise
floor.

Not IME.

Clearly, we have different experiences..................

And different issues of the LPs we have been comparing to CDs.

BTW, that's the reason behind the common claim of better 'inner
detail' from LP's - it's not *really* low-level detail at all!

Sure it is.

No, it isn't,

Yes it is. Low level detail is low level detail regardless of the source.

that's the whole point of compression - it turns
low-level detail into medium-level detail, so that you can hear it
above vinyl surface noise.

But not every record is compressed so your assertion fails. Besides, even with
some compression low level detail can still be low level detail.

Good thing some one came up with dither to help digital with this
problem.

Dither is an essential part of the process - and always was, way back
before CD was launched. That some ignorant clowns in the industry were
unaware of this, doesn't alter the facts.

Hmm, That seems like a pretty harsh thing to say about all the objectivists of
the early eighties. you know, the ones that gave an unqualified endorsment of
CD playback even with undithered CDs.

Funny thing though, CDs were already proclaimed champion by the
measurement folks before they were being dithered.

The good ones were *always* dithered.

What about the unditherd ones? You know, the majority of CDs produced in the
early years of CD? The ones no objectivist ever cited as bad back in the day.

However, it's true that even an
undithered CD is greatly superior to vinyl as far as measurements go.

I'll just listen and decide thank you.

Now an undithered digital
recording is considered defective.

Always was, if you actually understood the technology.

Hmmm, this suggests that the folks at Stereo Review didn't understand the
technology. So much for one hero.

Kind of like those old SS amps.

They were always bad, and only the audio industry was dumb enough not
to know this.

Anotherr blow to the same hero who editied Stereo Review. Harsh.

Last years
perfection is this years damaged goods.

No, last year's 'product of the month' is this year's damaged goods -
because it was always damaged. The good stuff is always good - but
almost never 'high end'.

It seems you are using your own definitions for things like high end. Given
that this forum is called Rec Audio High end I suggest you review the forum's
stated defenition of high end.

chung

S888Wheel wrote:
(snip)
You seem to be taking
Tom at his word that he can tell what MF's system sounds like without

hearing
it.

I take Tom's word that he knows the sonic merits, or lack thereof, of
the Wavav amp.

I guess some people can be taken for their word while others need to provide
results from DBTs to be trusted.

Uhh, it's really simple. DBT's are necessary for subtle differences.
That Wavac has errors that I don't think even you would call subtle.

I take Tom's word that he could tell what distortion and bass bumps
sound like.

Now do you not believe Tom's ability to tell what those errors sound like?

I do not believe he knows what MF's system in MF's listening room sounds like
with the WAVACs in that system.

Well, do you believe in Tom's ability to tell what those errors sound
like? Does MF's system hide those errors? You think Tom has trouble
turning up the level and noticing huge distortion? Or bass bump?

(snip)

Of course if someone wishes to arrange a test
I'll happily place a wager on my opinion.

Anyone who has any understanding of amplifiers will appreciate the
significance of the following:

1. Huge bass bump at around 80 Hz.

2. High output impedance.

3. 10% distortion at 20 Hz (8 ohm tap, 8 ohm load).

4. 5% distortion at 15W output, 1KHz. 2.2% at 2W. (8 ohm tap, 8 ohm

load.)

5. Huge intermodulation distortion at 2.5W output.

6. Significant AC spurious components.

Most of us would say that you do not need an audition to form an opinion
of the sonic merits of that amp,

I am aware of that. Most of you have said it.

Do you believe it?

No.

Ahh, measurements just don't mean a thing to you. Ever wonder why
Stereophile makes those measurements and reports them?

(snip)

I do think blind comparisons on MFs system between these amps and

"competent"
amps would be most interesting.

Why need blinding if there is a huge bass bump? Or 5% distortion at 2W?
Are those subtle effects?

As a control for the obvious bias the measurements have created about this amp.
A lot of people are saying they don't like the sound of it without ever hearing
it in the system used for the positive review.

So you have trouble believing that those people do not like amps with
bass bumps or huge distortion levels?

Why would people care about hearing it in MF's system? You think anyone
is interested in getting exactly the same system that MF has? And how
would MF's sytem hide the huge distortion levels, and the bass bumps?

Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Jul 2004 23:32:24 GMT, B&D wrote:

On 7/26/04 1:56 AM, in article 721Nc.187393$XM6.133782@attbi_s53, "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

No, I think the phrase "high-end" was coined by Harry Pearson in the early
days of TAS, to define companies that were primarily listening-oriented

vs.
measurement-oriented, because everything was called "hi-fi" in those days,
including stuff that measured well but sounded like dreck...mostly mid-fi
stuff that was positioned as "hi-fi".

IIRC there was a standard for what was considered Hi-Fi, it had to perform
within certain limits. None of the measured well/sounded like dreck stuff
was ever compared via ABX to see if the sounded like dreck part was really
true, so in essence, it's just a blank assertion.

One common mistake in amplifiers is the use of feedback in order to make an
amplifier absolutely flat - since the time constant of the loop can be
exceeding during transients, letting the open loop amplifier response
(complete with distortion and so on) for a small amount of time.

Not in any decently designed amp. In extremis, you just put a passive
filter on the input stage to prevent this.

I don't think an ABX test would need to be done in this particular case as
it is easily measured on a bench, and calculated by math.

Certainly, you can measure defects in amplifiers which are *way* below
the threshold of hearing.

The way the very best amplifiers are designed (RF ones anyway that require
linearization) is that the basic amplifier is made as flat and linear as
possible and feedback or other linearization technique is used to make it
better. I think audio amplifiers would need this as well.

Yes, that has always been the best way to design any audio amplifier.
The 'zero feedback' guys always seem to forget that their beloved
300B/211 amps have *lots* of negative feedback, it's just that it's
mostly built right into those triodes! And of course each stage has
its own regeneration, aka local feedback. Most of the worst-sounding
amps have mistakenly tried to use low-bandwidth feedback loops to
starighten an open-loop transfer curve like the hind leg of a donkey.

Overall I agree - but AB or ABX or other controlled subjective listening
tests is not always required provided you know what measurements to make.

Quite so, although whether anyone *needs* something as linear as a
Halcro power amp is another matter!

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:28:11 GMT,
(John Atkinson) wrote:

"Ban" wrote in message
John Atkinson wrote:
Most of the pro audio digital hardware available in the early 1980s
did not use dither, unless it was inadvertently done by a fortuitous
noisefloor. The original Sony digital editor, for example, did not
dither its mathematical operations, merely truncating the longer
word lengths. Worse, even when set to unity gain, it had a gain
very slightly different from unity, meaning that it still operated
on the data, reintroducing quantizing distortion as it did so.

It was only at the end of that decade that pro audio digital
components routinely incorporated dither, thanks to the
proseltyzing of academics like Stanley Lip****z, who had been
beating the drum on the behalf of dither since before the CD launch.

Are you really sure John?

Yes. It was not until the second-generation Sony editor, introduced in
1988, if I remember correctly, that dither was correctly used. While
some products (as you mention) did use dither, many did not.

It is of course uncertain just how much effect this had in reality (as
opposed to artificially generated -90dB signals), since there are no
master tapes with noise floors (due to microphone noise) less than
85dB below peak level, so all digital recordings of 16 bits or more
are essentially self-dithering, even if no dedicated dither circuits
were employed in the early days of digital audio (and I'm not sure
that this is true). The need for dithering itself had been well-known
in industrial electronics for at least a decade before the advent of
CD.

chung

B&D wrote:

McKelvy" wrote:

[...]

Time constant of the loop can be exceeding? What exactly are you talking
about?

Exceeded, not exceeding - sorry meaning you can exceed the speed of the loop
with a transient. For every loop there is a finite loop constant - if you
are slower than it - the response is the closed loop response. If you are
faster - then it will approach the open loop response. If the open loop
response has distortion and ripple in the pass band - then until the loop
takes control - you will have distortion.

From the way you describe it, I don't think you understand feedback
very well. Feedback extends the bandwidth of the amp, so that it
reproduces high frequency signals more accurately. And it also reduces
the open-loop distortion by the loop gain.

If you look at a feedback amp from a small-signal point of view, the
bandwidth of the amp is extended beyond the open-loop bandwidth. That
amp can be made stable and predictable in operation. Feedback is truly
wonderful.

What some amp designers did was ignoring the large signal performance of
the amp. If the input stage cuts off or saturates in the presence of a
large input signal, the loop is essentially open, and the output simply
slews (sometimes slowly), resulting in significant and possibly
detectible high frequency distortion. To avoid this type of problem, you
need to make sure that the slew rate of the amp is sufficient to handle
the largest input signal at the highest frequency into the worst-case
load, and that the input stage has sufficient voltage range.

The problem is not because there is too much feedback, or some
time-constant being exceeded.

Of course, every attempt should be made to have the open-loop response
be as linear and as wideband as possible. That insures good
high-frequency distortion performance.

It is not uncommon for a class AB (RF) amp to have -40dB intermodulation
distortion and harmonic distgortion ~ -30dB or so.

Of course.

A loop would clean it up
really nicely, but would be audible open loop.

RF amp being audible?

BTW, it is trivial to test for large signal distortion effects.

I don't think an ABX test would need to be done in this particular case as
it is easily measured on a bench, and calculated by math.

The way the very best amplifiers are designed (RF ones anyway that require
linearization) is that the basic amplifier is made as flat and linear as
possible and feedback or other linearization technique is used to make it
better. I think audio amplifiers would need this as well.

There are plenty of solid state amps designed with the open-loop
response optimized for linearity and bandwidth. Read the Doug Self
website for examples.

Yes, there are - now.

They have been plenty of SS amps designed since the beginning of the
solid state era that do not have this problem. Don't fall for the
high-end urban legend.

Overall I agree - but AB or ABX or other controlled subjective listening
tests is not always required provided you know what measurements to make.

I am glad that now you believe in the power of measurements. That's a
new position for you. What happened?

I use measurements every day. I don't have to believe in them - they are
100% valid in the context of what they measure.

It is *how* to measure and what it means that is the main issue and you and
I would (usually) disagree.

I thought you said once that you did not put much faith in tests and
measurements because that's not how you would use these components. But
I am glad that you realize that it's not the measurements, but "how you
interpret them" that could lead some people into the wrong conclusions.
S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 7/26/2004 9:33 PM Pacific Standard Time

"Nousaine" wrote in message

Oh Sure; and the Thelma Huston "Pressure Cooker" lps I bought with
the
assurance that once the masters were used up there would never be
availability
again; was forever askanst by the release of the same material on cd;
in a
couple years by the "discovery" of analog back-up copies that were
made at the
time.

What a crock; then and now.

Sorry Sheffield announced from the beginning that they were making
analog
recordings as backups, and that they might be released after the
direct to
disks were gone. The only think promised was that the direct-to-disks
were
limited in number and once sold, were gone forever.

That is simply not true. I collected many Sheffields in the '70s,
right from Lab 1 (the third in the series.....), and no mention was
*ever* made of the existence of any backup tapes, until *after* all
the DD discs were safely in music stores.

The fact that they didn't tell you personally doesn't mean it wasn't in
their press releases and interviews.

Press releases? Interviews? Why not on the liner notes?

Why would they put something about some day reissuing the same material from
back up analog tapes in the liner notes?

Just because Bill
Gates
doesn't send me a personal note about program bugs he isn't 'responsible?'

The analogy makes no sense.

And
exactly how did audio-salon personnel 'know' to tell people otherwise?

How does Sheffield control what some guy in Detroit told you about their
albums?

The crock is your mistaken assertion.

No, the crock is Sheffield telling porkies to keep up prices.

"Porkies" New term to me. What does it mean :-)

S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 7/26/2004 4:24 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 7/23/2004 12:07 PM Pacific Standard Time
Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

On 22 Jul 2004 00:14:53 GMT,

Subject: Steely Dan The Absolute Sound
From: "Ban"

Date: 7/21/2004 10:09 AM Pacific Standard Time

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Unfortunately, the hobby hasn't been called "high-fi" in many
years...high-end audio has replaced that terminology.

That should make you think. Why was the term Hi-Fi abandoned?

Could it be true that some of the higher priced gear didn't fulfill
the
"HiFi" requirements, which were coined down in international
standards, and
for that reason another term had to be invented?

No, the history of the terminology is well known amoung some
audiophiles and
this was not what happened.

Quite right. Harry Pearson simply had to find some labels on which to
hang his tweaky notions of why ultra-exotic and weirdly-designed
equipment could be sold at exorbitent prices to an unsuspecting
public. He and his accomplices at rags such as TAS have probably done
irreparable harm to the high-fidelity sound reproduction field by
encouraging nonsenses such as 'audiophile' cable and single-ended tube
amps.

So you couldn't nail down
the company and return the crappy gear. At least with the Wavac that
seems
to indicate this lengthly practiced habit.

Really? Do you have any evidence that WAVAC owners have been trying to
return
their amps but WAVAC refuses because audiophiles commonly use the term
"high
end" instead of "hifi?"

Do you have any evidence that anyone actually *does* own one of these
ludicrous toys?

Isn't that an interesting question. If it sounds so good why doesn't JA
own
one? And if he does ....... what was the purchase price?

Maybe because he is not so wealthy that 350,000 bucks isn't an issue, even
with
a discount. Maybe he likes other amps better. Maybe they are too big and too
hot. People can like things and not wish to buy them or even wish to own
them.

But IF it sounds MORE like live music wouldn't he almost be required to use
it
as a reference?

Does the magazine you write for require you to use the speakers you believe
best in the world?

Otherwise why would we accept his personal word about the
quality of any other device?

Why wouldn't we? Do you have the best possible sound system in the world? If
not why should we accept your word about the quality of any other device? Of
course Stereophile explicitly states that no one should just take the word of
any reviewer on any subjective review. They suggest that prospective buyers
conduct personal auditions before any purchase.

Or any other reviewer that doesn't use one.

How about ALL the other reviews conducted prior? It seems likely that they
don't sound AS MUCH like live music as this amplifier. So does this 'slide'
everything down a category on the RCL?

I suppose it would. wouldn't it do the same every time you discovered better
speakers? Would that make all your previous opinions meaningless?

And how about the rest of the other
review staff? Have they acquired this new MORE like live music reference?

It is clearly stated in Stereophile that each reviewer has their own personal
reference system. Is it different fot the magazine you write for? Do you all
share one reference system?

It seems most likely to me that this product is just another not-so-good
ampliifer that gets on the RCL like all the other amplifiers that this
magazine evaluates.

Maybe you should listen to it in blind comparisons with the same system MF used
before passing judgement.

S888Wheel

Absolute Sound
From: (Nousaine)
Date: 7/27/2004 5:58 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 7/23/2004 9:09 AM Pacific Standard Time

(S888Wheel) wrote:

(S888Wheel)

Do you have any evidence that anyone actually *does* own one of these
ludicrous toys?

This particular amp or WAVACs in geeneral? In general, yes. This

particular
amp, no. But it would be quite surprising to me if no one has purchased

one
yet.

So who? One of the Reviewers? Mr Atkinson? Mr Fremer?

You want me to speculate? If you want a good answer just contact WAVAC and
ask
them. I know their primary market is in Japan.

My guess is that NONE of the Stereophile review staff has or will purchase
one.

I'd guess the same. So?

The related question is that if one of the review staff hasn't bought one
(even
at an accomodation price which would normally be roughly 50% of the retail
price) i would wonder exactly why this piece would not have been made the
"reference" piece for ALL of the staff?

I would think the answer is obvious. It is expensive and it is huge. The
writers for Stereophile do not all live in a frat house.

So;

So it is not something you can casually pass around from reviewer to reviewer.

they are willing to recommend it as sounding "more" like live music

They? No. MF.

but
won't buy one for themselves? Hmmm.

Hmmm maybe you have an unrealistic idea of what Stereophile pays it's
reviewers. The amp costs 350,000 bucks! even with a huge discount this is a
very expensive unit.

When is yours scheduled for delivery?

I'm not planning to buy one.

Ban

John Atkinson wrote:
Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message
I repeat, there are no *master* tapes with more than 14 bits dynamic
range.

This is a bit too sweeping a generalization, Stewart, IMO. It is
certainly true at low frequencies, where room noise restricts dynamic
range. But even on my own recordings, which are almost all distantly,
miked, the background noise in the treble can be lower than the
16-bit noise floor.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Careful, John. Even with a Nagra_IV-S, one of the finest analog tape
machines ever made, at 19ips you only reach 74.5dB S/N. This is with the NAB
eq curve, which is used for professional recording. This has an overall
preemphasis of 15dB at 19kHz. The tape noise is basically "white", so the
distribution is even across the frequency. Since the high frequencies are
boosted when recording, their level has to be low(-15dB) or distortion will
occur. It corresponds to the preemphasis bit on CD. The dynamic range stays
still 74.5dB, and if you allow for +4dB peaks it will still be less than
80dB. Now you can apply a noise reduction system like dbx or Dolby-A and you
gain maybe 12 to 15dB more dynamics. Still at the best you might get 90dB
S/N.
If you record at 38ips you might gain another 5-6dB, but this is only what
any CD can reproduce easily. I do not see *any* possibility your noise being
lower than 16bit.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

"No, the subjectivists arguing here agree on only one thing...that the dbt
abx test that is considered the "gold standard" for the objectivists in
accepting that there is a difference *may be* a flawed test that has never
been verified for its use as an open-ended evaluation of audio gear (as
opposed to attempting to spot a known artifiact). We have challenged the
majority objectivists here on that point and engendered their hostility as
result."

Not just the dbt/dbx, any controled listening alone testing is dismissed,
despite the almost universal use of such testing in all other areas
involving humans where perception might be a confounding variable. This
includes something as simple as putting a cloth over connections so the
active bit of gear is not known. If that simple step confuses the results
that alleged differences in amps/wire are "easily" heard, then those
holding such views need to either explain why by controlled research
and/or come up with testing of their own to demonstrate the flaw or
results to the contrary. A benchmark of a variety of listening alone
tests is now established, subjective hand waving is a now rapidly
receeding notion whose only response is "I heare it, I really really do,
don't you believe me?" The answer to which is, yes when you hear it when
not knowing what is connected by listening alone, human perception as a
confounding variable has been widely established in all areas and demands
controlling for valid evaluations, don't you believe me?
normanstrong

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

No, the subjectivists arguing here agree on only one thing...that

the dbt
abx test that is considered the "gold standard" for the objectivists

in
accepting that there is a difference *may be* a flawed test that has

never
been verified for its use as an open-ended evaluation of audio gear

(as
opposed to attempting to spot a known artifiact). We have

challenged the
majority objectivists here on that point and engendered their

hostility as a
result.

Suppose that we agree that ABX is NOT the gold standard for proving
there is a difference in audible sound between 2 systems. What might
replace it--given that the results are to be repeatable, and that it's
impossible to cheat? Long term sighted listening to 2 systems,
switching between them at will, might very well be the most reliable
method. But how are you going to prove it?

The best I can come up with would be to do the
comparison--sighted--then when you finally convince yourself that you
can tell one from the other by sound alone, prove it with a blind
test.
Somehow though, I get the feeling that no such method would be
acceptable to high-enders.

Norm Strong

Michael McKelvy

"B&D" wrote in message
On 7/27/04 7:36 PM, in article , "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

The MEANS of this is what creates the "Objectivist/Subjectivist" split.

The split, it seems arises from so many of the subjectivists claiming,

or
trying to claim that there is some sort of scientific reason why their
preferences are better. They also seem to put words in the mouths of

the
objectivists, claiming they think all equipment sounds the same. No

matter
how many times it's pointed out that this is not what is being said and

that
nobody gives a rat's patute about one's preferences.

There's also a lot of animosity about the people from the subjectivist

side
making the claims and their lack of credentials.

I have noticed that the love is shared both directions. :-)
Objectivists/Subjectivists both have beefs with one another. Most are not
willing to listen to each other (which is kinda funny given what this

hobby
is supposed to be about! :-) ).

But, sure - at the end of the day the goals of everyone are roughly the

same
- but as in politics - the methods of getting there are what causes the
controversy.

I suspect that the way someone evaluates and chooses personal purchases of
equipment regardless of the philosophy is about the same for just about

any
audiophile.

AFAIK no objectivists has a problem with how you choose to buy or enjoy your
stereo. The beef is with outrageous claim of superiority.
goFab.com

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:23:45 GMT, in article RDHNc.44155$eM2.20182@attbi_s51,
Harry Lavo stated:

My reaction goFab's post was: "then why are you hanging out here on
rec.audio.high-end? You've given up on high end and don't have time to
listen, you say. If that's true, you certainly don't have time to hang out
here and argue with those of us who still find listening to music on our
"big rigs" enjoyable."

Thank you. I guess you know better than I what I do and don't have time to do.
)
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, I don't make a habit of collecting press releases, or indexing
twenty
year old magazines. I remember it because it affected my decisions as
what direct to disks to buy and what to save for later (even if they
ran out
of D-D's and it had to be an analog-release version).

How convenient. IOW, you have no evidence for your assertion, which
runs contrary to the memories of everyone else contributing to this
thread.

Nousaine

"Ban" wrote:

Nousaine wrote:

The best part of modern listening is that anybody can have a 2 or
greater channel system that blows the doors off the best 1970s could
offer no matter how rich you were.

I disagree here, one of my first customers in 1972(I worked as a student
part-time in a HiFi shop) wanted a decent reproduction gear mostly for
playing wheel to wheel tapes on an Ampex which were original masters. He was
a film director. I got him some ESS speakers with the AMT Heil transducer
and a 12" woofer, and as amplifier a combo Citation 11 and 12. Guess, he
still is using that same gear at home. And all of the components have become
legendary. Now I believe there are not many new speakers with better
resolution and in fact the AMT is still sold.

Well I have always liked thr Heil but matched to a 12-inch woofer it didn't
produce a particularly good speaker by todays standard. In fact I have a very
good friend who spent the better part of 15 years optimizing the Heil in his
DIY system but about 5 years ago he switched the B&G ribbons. That system has
been featured in Speaker Builder/Audio eXpress, btw.

The EQ on that Citation11 is
utterly useful, even if there are only 5 sliders for each side. Also the
CrownDC350 is a decent amp still manufactured. I think the 70s were the time
with the most progress in audio, studio automation, 24 channel multitrack 2"
tapes, introduction of digital sound processing, invention of CD...

CD may have been in the process of being brought to the consumer level but that
didn't really happen until the 80s.

And not only technically but also musically the most creative time. Great
rock groups and solo musicians were coming up, almost daily new records were
recorded that still today have not been surpassed.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

I'm not saying that anything about the 70s was bad. Sure there was a tremendous
amount of progress but it certainly didn't stop in 1980 and IMO has expanded
exponentially since that time.

In 1975 you could buy a good amplifier with a lot of power for $1 a watt
(Heathkit AA-1640 or Dynaco 400) IF you were willing to buy your own labor. The
last amplifier I bought produces 5000 watts for $0.56 a watt and that's not an
indistry accomodation price .... purchased directly by me from a large
mail-order por-audio company.

In 1980 I had no choice but to pay $100 to $400 for phono cartridges (not
counting the cost of the turntable) to play my Direct-Cut lps which cost $16 to
$25 each. By 1984 I was able to buy a $450 cd-player to play my $16 cds and
never have to replace any cartridges. By 2004 I can buy a cd player for under
$100 and play my $12 (average price) cds.

Or better yet, I can buy a universal dvd player and play anything that's ever
been put on plastic (except perhaps for cd-g and laser discs.)

Speakers? Well in the late 70s I paid $750 for a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s only
to find they basically had no bass below 60 Hz. There are any number of $200
6-inch 2 ways that blow the doors off the DQ-10s in every significant
performance aspect.

In the 70s you could always buy the Dahlquist Subwoofer (which was no such
thing .... it was a modestly extended common woofer) and although I can't
recall the actual cost I think the crossover itself cost as much as a Hsu VTF-2
subwoofer ($450) which is significantly better in every respect.

My point is that today any interested enthusiast can buy performance for a
reasonable cost that exceeded that commerically available in the 70s.....no cd,
no dvd, no 'real' subwoofers, no speakers that don't vary significantly from
unit-to-unit, no graphic EQ, no Dolby PLII or Logic 7, no discrete
multichannel. I didn't mean that the 70s weren't fun ... I lived that life too.
But things are much better today even if you cling to 2-channel and lp.

Harry Lavo

wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

Well, let's see - exactly four people have participated in this specific
discussion:

1) You say Sheffield never revealed they were making analog tapes of the
sessions, much less releasing them.

2) I said they revealed both things right up front when announcing the D-D
series...the only promise was that once the D-D disks were gone, they were
gone.

3) Tom jumped in and said "then why did a salesman in NYC not tell me".

4) S888Wheel jumped in to ask why you "thought the company had an obligation
to put in its liner notes on the D-D that eventually analog versions would
be made available".

That is the sum and substance of this discussion. Might you want to
reconsider your conclusion that my "assertion ..... runs contrary to the
memories of everyone else contributing to this thread"? Inventing support
just isn't going to fly.

John Atkinson

"Ban" wrote in message
John Atkinson wrote:
Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message
I repeat, there are no *master* tapes with more than 14 bits dynamic
range.

This is a bit too sweeping a generalization, Stewart, IMO. It is
certainly true at low frequencies, where room noise restricts dynamic
range. But even on my own recordings, which are almost all distantly,
miked, the background noise in the treble can be lower than the
16-bit noise floor.

Careful, John. Even with a Nagra_IV-S, one of the finest analog tape
machines ever made, at 19ips you only reach 74.5dB S/N...

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, Ban. Stewart was talking
about real-world digital recordings where the _acoustic_ background noise
limits dynamic range to less than the CD's 16 bits' worth. I was talking
about hi-rez digital recordings where Stewart's contention is indeed
correct at the LF end of the spectrum, but may not be true at higher
frequencies. I didn't mention analog recordings.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Nousaine

"goFab.com" wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:23:45 GMT, in article
RDHNc.44155$eM2.20182@attbi_s51,
Harry Lavo stated:

My reaction goFab's post was: "then why are you hanging out here on
rec.audio.high-end? You've given up on high end and don't have time
listen, you say. If that's true, you certainly don't have time to
hang out
here and argue with those of us who still find listening to music on
our
"big rigs" enjoyable."

Thank you. I guess you know better than I what I do and don't have
time to
do.
)

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a "big rig" with a retail value
of well
over 50k not counting the labor for the design and contruction of the
world's
best subwoofer.

And that's just the main system.

This system plays NO vinyl that hasn't been extracted and duplicated on
Cd-r.
It also has more than one source of HDTV. It also contains NO branded
wiring.

Yet I don't spend time on RAHE telling you that I have some magic that
makes my
time and my pursuits better than yours. I fully agree that for the most
part
anybody with an interest can get great sound for a reasonable price
(and you
don't need to go vinyl to do so.)

Believe me IF I really felt that vinyl were superior to newer formats
I'd still
be attacking like a pit bull. But it isn't today and it wasn't in 1984,
no
matter how hard the vinyl and high-end "big rig" proponents argue
otherwise.

Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
(Nousaine)

....snip....

[...]

No they don'r. But I hold myself to that standard.

Otherwise why would we accept his personal word about the
quality of any other device?

Why wouldn't we? Do you have the best possible sound system in the
world? If
not why should we accept your word about the quality of any other
device?

I have a reference sound system that equals or betters any other system
I've
ever heard.

Of
course Stereophile explicitly states that no one should just take the
word of
any reviewer on any subjective review. They suggest that prospective
buyers
conduct personal auditions before any purchase.

Or any other reviewer that doesn't use one.

How about ALL the other reviews conducted prior? It seems likely
that they
don't sound AS MUCH like live music as this amplifier. So does this
'slide'
everything down a category on the RCL?

I suppose it would. wouldn't it do the same every time you discovered
better
speakers? Would that make all your previous opinions meaningless?

Fair point; let's see if the RCL gets a new rating class for the more
like
"live music" Wavac.

And how about the rest of the other
review staff? Have they acquired this new MORE like live music
reference?

It is clearly stated in Stereophile that each reviewer has their own
personal
reference system. Is it different fot the magazine you write for? Do
you all
share one reference system?

No we don't. But I'd prefer we did. And I'd prefer we always used a
common set
of program material. If I were the Editor these things might come to
pass.

It seems most likely to me that this product is just another
not-so-good
ampliifer that gets on the RCL like all the other amplifiers that
this
magazine evaluates.

Maybe you should listen to it in blind comparisons with the same
system MF
used
before passing judgement.

Why? You're telling me that I should accept his say-so about sound
quality when
this device went off the skid-pad during lateral acceleration testing?
Michael McKelvy

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
From: "goFab.com"
Date: 7/26/2004 4:35 PM Pacific Standard Time
On 22 Jul 2004 00:08:29 GMT, in article

,
S888Wheel stated:

This is a very good point. It makes me wonder what those who choose to
abandon
the LP format altogether are thinking?

Gee, we ask a lot of our audiophiles, don't we?

No, I don't ask anything of audiophiles.

Not only are they expected
hold down jobs of sufficient importance and responsibility to enable

the
purchase of $20K speakers and $20K amplifiers, but they are expected to

do so
while still simultaneously having the free time required to

affirmatively
search
out relatively scarce vinyl releases, optimize their analog rigs, clean

the
playback medium every time they interact with it, get up every 15-20

minutes
flip the record over and spend enough of that free time sitting in a

room
at
home to listen in the first place.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to do that. I don't "expect"

it
from
anyone else. Audiophiles are free to do as they please. But I am amazed

at
the
hostility towards those of us who do hold down jobs "of significant

importance
and responsibility" (whatever that is supposed to mean) to enable us to
purchase expensive gear and simultaniously have the time required to

search out
"reletively scarce" vinyl releases (many of my favorites are not scarce

and
take little effort to "search out") optimize our analog rigs, clean the

records
and equipment effectively (your desciption of this is way off base with
reality) and have the energy left over to flip the record at the end of

each
side. Why such hostility?

I have a reasonably decent system and I respect what it can do and the

folks
who
designed the components, but at the end of the day most of my musical
enjoyment
comes through an iPod while I'm on the go (the iPod having freed us

from
the
last great mobile music impediment, having to carry the software around

and
change it).

That's nice. What is your point though?

Listening at the computer through an inexpensive sat/sub system
comes a distant second. In terms of time spent, my home rig is not

even
on
the
chart, and I can't imagine how any person who doesn't have the good

fortune
be a person of extreme leisure can spend enough time with the Walkers

and
Nordosts and Lyras of this world to make it all worth it.

The confines of your imagination are, fortunately for me and other

enthusiasts,
not a real world boundary.

My reaction goFab's post was: "then why are you hanging out here on
rec.audio.high-end? You've given up on high end and don't have time to
listen, you say. If that's true, you certainly don't have time to hang

out
here and argue with those of us who still find listening to music on our
"big rigs" enjoyable."

I think part of the problem here, is that what you mean by high-end, is
essentially a myth. There are scores of amps and preamps that produce no
audible distortion, and offer a myriad of features. There are amps that
cost tens of thousands of dollars that don't out perform the stuff you can
buy at Good Guys. CD player for $100.00 that objectively outperform the
most expensive TT. Speakers that are made with new materials that weren't
available 10 or 20 years ago that sound damn fine.

There is they DIY market in speakers where if one has some determination and
a PC, you can use CAD software that is extremely powerful. Or you could
just get a kit for around $1500.00 like the SEAS THOR which is easily worth
twice that if it were sold as a branded finished speaker. In fact I think
it would be a great service of all the Hi-Fi mags to feature some of the DIY
Kits and show their readers how easy some of them are and what a value they
offer.

Let's face it, TAS and SP cater to niche within a niche. Science solved
most of the problems of audio 20 years ago. Loudspeakers are always going
to be the weakest link in the audio chain, due to all the variables, such as
room acoustics and materials.

What used to cost several thousand dollars for speakers can be done with a
kit pair of mains and the addition of a kit subwoofer.

I don't think it's wise to spend 10K on a subwoofer from Wilson when you
could probably get equal performance,or better, if your willing to build a
big enough box for an Adire Shiva and build in an HS1000 sub woofer amp.
$899.00 for 750 watts into 8 ohms or 1100 into 4. Take a 5 cubic ft box and
a 125 dollar woofer and you get an equal to the Wilson for about 1/10th the
price. If you're willing to dress up the cabinet more you can make it LOOK
as good too.

Now I understand that not everybody would be willing to try a project like
this, but I think more of them would if they knew how easy it could be.
Most kits come with the option at least of the xover being assembled for
you. Some wire cutters, a pair of crimpers or a soldering iron if you
prefer, a screwdriver and a few feet of 12 AWG wire and you can produce bass
as low as an f3 of 18 Hz!

No glorious brand name but talk about pride of ownership.

As I was saying the need for expensive high end is pretty much over if it
existed at all. There might have been a time when fully separate components
were required but these days a $1000.00 receiver can equal virtually any
thing from the esoteric high end market, except the weight. ADD to all that
the fact that we know now there is now audio improvement to be gained from
buying the newest product and you've got a recipe for enjoyment of music,
that simply didn't exist before.

If you really want to help your readers get the best sound possible you
should consider a dedicated section on DIY. Let's live in the real world
and realize there's so much good easily affordable gear that enhances the
pleasure of listening to music, I get giddy just thinking about it and sad
that more people don't get involved.
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

You still provide zero evidence for your assertion, and you are the
only contributor making this claim, which is refuted by both of those
who have stated their opinion on the matter. Ducking the issue just
isn't going to fly.

Michael McKelvy

From: "Michael McKelvy"
Date: 7/26/2004 9:17 PM Pacific Standard Time

Absolute Sound
From: "Michael McKelvy"

Date: 7/20/2004 3:04 PM Pacific Standard Time

What titles are you talking about?

Every album I replaced with a CD that I owned as an LP. From Pink

Floyd
Bach.

That is far too vague an answer to be of any use.

Which LP issues did you compare them to?

See above.

Above does not begin to answer the question. You do realize that with

many
titles there have been several different issues on LP and often on CD

many
of
which have been mastered quite differently to varying degree in

excellence?

am always on the look out for better masterings. And I am quite a

jazz
enthusiast.

John Handy Excursion in Blue is excellent on CD.

Anything from GRP.

What does it matter, you don't like CD sound so you'll claim your LP's

out
perform the CD.

Thta's complete nonsense. I go title by title. I have never said I

don't
like
all CDs. You are just burning a straw man here. You OTOH seem to have

dismissed
LP out of hand by claiming *every* title you replaced with a CD was

superior.

Because in my case that is true.

That doesn't leave your claims any less vague or reduce the odds that your

own
biases were in play.

Given the history of mastering of various titles on LP and CD I

suyspect
that
you are listening through a very biased POV or are using sub par LP

playback
equipment and/or poor pressings of the LPs in question.

Why in the world would I wish to spend the kind of money it takes for

"par"
when for $100.00, (less than my cd player cost) I can get a better

medium.

Your question is based on a faulty premise.

It's based on the figure I keep hearing, that it takes $4K for a decent LP
playback rig. If I can out preform it for $100.00, I know where my money is
going to go.

The problem is they don't but you like LP sound better,
even though you're missing out on the increased transient response,

lower
noise and no possibility of tracking error.

I'm not missing out on anything. I have both LPs and CDs I am quite

happy
when
I find a better copy of any title whether it be on CD or LP, I'm afraid

you are
the one who is missing out by disnmissing an entire format.

I don't dismiss it totally I have hundreds of LP's, I just don't play them
much since I can get better performance from a CD of the same music.

I still have LP's, some sound very nice, none sound as good as any CD

I've
ever heard.

On your fig in your system in your opinion. Fine. But it hardly represents

the
full potential of LP playback

The problem for me is that full potential of LP playback compared to CD, is
so far back in the dust, I see no reason other than something only being
available as an LP to buy any new ones.

You like what you like, but it's still inferior to CD.

That doesn't even make sense. Some times with some titles I like the CD

better.

You like it, but most people like the CD, and for very sound reasons, they
are technically superior.

S888Wheel

Absolute Sound
From: (Nousaine)
Date: 7/30/2004 10:42 AM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
(Nousaine)

...snip....

[...]

You have the best speakers in the world? What are they?

Otherwise why would we accept his personal word about the
quality of any other device?

Why wouldn't we? Do you have the best possible sound system in the
world? If
not why should we accept your word about the quality of any other
device?

I have a reference sound system that equals or betters any other system
I've
ever heard.

IYO and IYE.

[...]

It has happend with a few components but usually new, better components simply
shift the bell curve. I'm not sure why you have such a problem with
Stereophile's RCL. If nothing else it makes a nice laundry list of components
to consider. Since we no longer have Audio's fantastic anual components guide I
think Stereophile offers one of the best lists out there.

And how about the rest of the other
review staff? Have they acquired this new MORE like live music
reference?

It is clearly stated in Stereophile that each reviewer has their own
personal
reference system. Is it different fot the magazine you write for? Do
you all
share one reference system?

No we don't. But I'd prefer we did.

You will have to take that up with your editor. Would you be willing to travel
to use such a reference system? It seems very impractical.

And I'd prefer we always used a
common set
of program material. If I were the Editor these things might come to
pass.

I understand your wishes here. I think the practical problems would leave you
with few writers.

It seems most likely to me that this product is just another
not-so-good
ampliifer that gets on the RCL like all the other amplifiers that
this
magazine evaluates.

Maybe you should listen to it in blind comparisons with the same
system MF
used
before passing judgement.

Why?

So you can make an unbiased evaluation based on what you actually hear. Isn't
that the point of blind listening?

You're telling me that I should accept his say-so about sound
quality when
this device went off the skid-pad during lateral acceleration testing?

No, I am not saying that nor have I ever said that.

Bob Marcus

Nousaine wrote:

let's see if the RCL gets a new rating class for the more
like
"live music" Wavac.

I predict it'll be Class B, balancing Fremer's ecstacy with a caution about
technical shortcomings.

Anybody want to start a pool?

bob

Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Ban" wrote:

Nousaine wrote:

[...]

The AMT-1, in which most Heil's were sold, included a 10" and not a 12"
speaker. That speaker developed a reputation for a mid-range suck-out and
peak based on positioning the speaker out in the room to take advantage of
its bi-polar nature (in the tweeter). In reality, the speaker was designed
to go against or close to the wall with the rear wall used to "disperse" the
treble and widen the overall frequency response/balance. I wrote a review
commentary to this effect in the second issue of The Abso!ute Sound.

The EQ on that Citation11 is
utterly useful, even if there are only 5 sliders for each side. Also the
CrownDC350 is a decent amp still manufactured. I think the 70s were the

time
with the most progress in audio, studio automation, 24 channel multitrack

2"
tapes, introduction of digital sound processing, invention of CD...

I bought the review samples of the AMT-1's and later another pair for Quad.
Still later I sold them to my professional musician friends and replaced
them with Maggies. They use them to this day (along with a Citation 11
preamp and Amber power amp) in exactly the way described above, and they
never fail to elicite a "wow" from visiting friends. It is an exceedingly
revealing and "musical" system made up of carefully selected 30 year old
components. And BTW, in my review I mentioned the need for active use of
tone controls with the Heil's based on record quality; you are right that
the Citation 11 sliders are excellent for this.

CD may have been in the process of being brought to the consumer level but

that
didn't really happen until the 80s.

And didn't really get "perfected" in terms of practice until the early
'90's.

And not only technically but also musically the most creative time. Great
rock groups and solo musicians were coming up, almost daily new records

were
recorded that still today have not been surpassed.

Agree completely on this. Seventies rock is still "the best sounding" in
strictly engineering terms of any decade, IMO.

I'm not saying that anything about the 70s was bad. Sure there was a

tremendous
amount of progress but it certainly didn't stop in 1980 and IMO has

expanded
exponentially since that time.

In 1975 you could buy a good amplifier with a lot of power for $1 a watt
(Heathkit AA-1640 or Dynaco 400) IF you were willing to buy your own

labor. The
last amplifier I bought produces 5000 watts for $0.56 a watt and that's

not an
indistry accomodation price .... purchased directly by me from a large
mail-order por-audio company.

That's quantity, not quality.

In 1980 I had no choice but to pay $100 to $400 for phono cartridges (not
counting the cost of the turntable) to play my Direct-Cut lps which cost

$25 each. By 1984 I was able to buy a $450 cd-player to play my $16 cds

and
never have to replace any cartridges. By 2004 I can buy a cd player for

under
$100 and play my $12 (average price) cds.

That's convenience, not quality.

Or better yet, I can buy a universal dvd player and play anything that's

ever
been put on plastic (except perhaps for cd-g and laser discs.)

Yep..that's a true step forward. But the best ones (from a
transparency/accuracy standpoint) still cost.

Speakers? Well in the late 70s I paid $750 for a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s

only
to find they basically had no bass below 60 Hz. There are any number of

$200
6-inch 2 ways that blow the doors off the DQ-10s in every significant
performance aspect.

In the 70s you could always buy the Dahlquist Subwoofer (which was no such
thing .... it was a modestly extended common woofer) and although I can't
recall the actual cost I think the crossover itself cost as much as a Hsu

VTF-2
subwoofer ($450) which is significantly better in every respect.

Speakers *are* one area where things have improved, although the "classics"
of each era hold their own (JBL Paragons and Hartsfields, Qual
Electrostatics, the AR-1/Janzen coupling, the AMT-1 Heils, Double Advents,
etc.).

My point is that today any interested enthusiast can buy performance for a
reasonable cost that exceeded that commerically available in the

70s.....no cd,
no dvd, no 'real' subwoofers, no speakers that don't vary significantly

from
unit-to-unit, no graphic EQ, no Dolby PLII or Logic 7, no discrete
multichannel. I didn't mean that the 70s weren't fun ... I lived that life

too.
But things are much better today even if you cling to 2-channel and lp.

In some ways yes, in some ways no. It's a mixed bag.

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"goFab.com" wrote:

[...]

Just for what it is worth, all I basically said was if the only way he
listened today was with portable music on an iPod and he is satisfied with
it (and no longer aspires to the sound he can get from his high end rig,
which he admits is sitting silently), then why is he bothering to spend time
on a rec.audio group devoted to high-end audio. I would think he would be
happier spending his scarce free time on groups more attuned to his
lifestyle.
Harry Lavo

From: "Michael McKelvy"
Date: 7/26/2004 9:17 PM Pacific Standard Time

Absolute Sound
From: "Michael McKelvy"

Date: 7/20/2004 3:04 PM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

As Wheel says, your premise is faulty. I have yet to have a $100 cd or dvd
player in my system that comes close to the $2500 (original retail...I
didn't pay that much) reference CD system...no close in transparency, not
close in dynamic stability. And that reference system is
met/matched/occassionally exceeded by an LP system that cost $1800 new and
much less new. And the price of good turntables and cartridges is coming
down, no longer going up.

The problem is they don't but you like LP sound better,
even though you're missing out on the increased transient response,

lower
noise and no possibility of tracking error.

I'm not missing out on anything. I have both LPs and CDs I am quite

happy
when
I find a better copy of any title whether it be on CD or LP, I'm

afraid
you are
the one who is missing out by disnmissing an entire format.

I don't dismiss it totally I have hundreds of LP's, I just don't play them
much since I can get better performance from a CD of the same music.

Convenience, yet. CD's have that in abundance. But unless you've
duplicated all of your LP's you are missing a lot of music that presumably
you once loved.

I still have LP's, some sound very nice, none sound as good as any CD

I've
ever heard.

On your fig in your system in your opinion. Fine. But it hardly

represents
the
full potential of LP playback

The problem for me is that full potential of LP playback compared to CD,

is
so far back in the dust, I see no reason other than something only being
available as an LP to buy any new ones.

Well your $100 CD player hardly taps the full potential of CD... a straight
frequency response curve is not the end of reproduction, it is only the
beginning. Same with turntables. But unless you've really heard a
top-notch phone system in a really good audio system, you may well be misled
as to where the "full potential" of LP playback is.

You like what you like, but it's still inferior to CD.

That doesn't even make sense. Some times with some titles I like the

CD
better.

You like it, but most people like the CD, and for very sound reasons, they
are technically superior.

They are technically adequate, can be had fairly cheaply, and are extremely
convenient....seems to me to be a more accurate statement.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 30 Jul 2004 17:47:01 GMT, "Michael McKelvy"
wrote:

What used to cost several thousand dollars for speakers can be done with a
kit pair of mains and the addition of a kit subwoofer.

Sorry Mike, while I agree regarding the subwoofer, and you can build
an even better one at home without using a kit, there is absolutely no
way that a kit speaker can approach the quality of a top-class
minimonitor such as the B&W N805 Signature or the JMLab Mini Utopia.
This has been proven on many occasions.

Michael McKelvy

"B&D" wrote in message
On 7/27/04 12:17 AM, in article LHkNc.38215$eM2.16080@attbi_s51, "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

Given the history of mastering of various titles on LP and CD I

suyspect
that
you are listening through a very biased POV or are using sub par LP

playback
equipment and/or poor pressings of the LPs in question.

Why in the world would I wish to spend the kind of money it takes for

"par"
when for $100.00, (less than my cd player cost) I can get a better

medium.

Actually, I would one better you.

Assuming that the highest peaks of LP playback with the right records

would
be better (I have heard it so) than CD, why would you spend the $10,000

for
that peak when for $1000 (CD Player) you can get something almost as

good?

I have heard some truly stunning LP playback that beat my CD (NAD) - but I
am unwilling to invest that kind of money to get it.

You may have liked it's presentation better, but my hunch would be the CD
was more faithful to the original. For the umpteenth time, I do not
begrudge anyone their preferences, it's only claims of technical superiority
that I have a problem with. CD is the better medium, assuming faithfulness
to the original is your goal.
Nousaine

wrote:

What used to cost several thousand dollars for speakers can be done with a
kit pair of mains and the addition of a kit subwoofer.

Sorry Mike, while I agree regarding the subwoofer, and you can build
an even better one at home without using a kit, there is absolutely no
way that a kit speaker can approach the quality of a top-class
minimonitor such as the B&W N805 Signature or the JMLab Mini Utopia.
This has been proven on many occasions.

I agree with Stewart here. It is true that kit speakers have gotten much better
but I've seen dozens of DIY speakers and only a handful were brought to
fruition in comparison with commercial products in performance terms. And those
that were required the ability to measure individual drivers, adjust the
design to compensate and the access to performance measuring equipment.

On the other hand, it is relatively easy to build a subwoofer that exceeds
anything that you can buy commerically. One basic reason is that commerical
subwoofers are all high-passed. I have 2 in-house as we speak priced at $7750
and $12 or $15k depending on which press release you choose to believe. The
first is high-passed at 19 Hz and the 2nd at 15 Hz.

I know of 5 DIY projects in the US midwest that have lower bandwidth and higher
output than either of these commerical products. One of the reasons that this
is possible is that individual drivers are often DUMAX verified by the vendors
(a 3rd party testing facility) and enthusiasts have better access to real data
about woofer performance.
Michael McKelvy

wrote:

What used to cost several thousand dollars for speakers can be done with

kit pair of mains and the addition of a kit subwoofer.

Sorry Mike, while I agree regarding the subwoofer, and you can build
an even better one at home without using a kit, there is absolutely no
way that a kit speaker can approach the quality of a top-class
minimonitor such as the B&W N805 Signature or the JMLab Mini Utopia.
This has been proven on many occasions.
--

While a DIYer may not be able to get to the very pinnacle of speaker design,
they can certainly achieve very high quality, particularly with designs by

Many kits come without cabinets and the DIYer can go to whatever extremes
he/she so desires.

With the best drivers available from Focal, (the makers of JM labs), Scan
Speak, and SEAS, it's possible to get very close to the best sound available
from the finished speaker market.

Out of curiosity, Stewart, have you heard any of the following,

Focal Aria 5A with Accuton tweeter
Focal Aria 5R with Raven tweeter
Seas Thor
Focal Aria 5 TD5
Wonder or Wonder-R this uses the Utopia 6W4254 and a Raven-1

I'm not claiming they are equal to the JM Labs or B&W's, but they are
certainly the equal of many finished speakers costing many times more.

My point was not that one could get the very best, but that very high
quality was available for considerably less than one would have to pay
otherwise. Naturally, the makers of the best drivers, keep the very best of
their product for their own products.
Nousaine

(S888Wheel)

Absolute Sound
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 7/30/2004 10:42 AM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
(Nousaine)

...snip....

[...]

Why would you care; after all its just my opinion.

Otherwise why would we accept his personal word about the
quality of any other device?

Why wouldn't we? Do you have the best possible sound system in the
world? If
not why should we accept your word about the quality of any other
device?

I have a reference sound system that equals or betters any other system
I've
ever heard.

IYO and IYE.

That's why I said. Let me put this in another context. It sounds more like
live music than any other system I've ever heard. This includes ALL kinds of
live music including classical to rock concerts. And it's not just a function
of the individual (of which there are 8) speakers but lay-out and set-up.

[...]

I don't have any problem with the RCL. I just offer commentary on what it is
(and what it is not.)

If nothing else it makes a nice laundry list of components
to consider. Since we no longer have Audio's fantastic anual components guide

That the Audio Equipment Directory is sorely missed I'd agree fully. But the
RCL is not a replacement because it's far too limited in breadth. Sound &
Vision's Annual Equipment directory is much closer to the old Audio book.

think Stereophile offers one of the best lists out there.

And how about the rest of the other
review staff? Have they acquired this new MORE like live music
reference?

It is clearly stated in Stereophile that each reviewer has their own
personal
reference system. Is it different fot the magazine you write for? Do
you all
share one reference system?

No we don't. But I'd prefer we did.

You will have to take that up with your editor. Would you be willing to
travel
to use such a reference system? It seems very impractical.

We'd all have one just like it.

And I'd prefer we always used a
common set
of program material. If I were the Editor these things might come to
pass.

I understand your wishes here. I think the practical problems would leave you
with few writers.

I wouldn't want "writers" I'd want professional audio evaluators who can write.
But you make an interesting point. As far as I know there are only a handful
stringers (evaluators not on staff) in the entire industry who do not also have
day or other jobs. S&V seems to have only one equipment evaluator that seems
not to have alternative sources of income other than magazine work.

That's because free-lance writing and audio reviewing doesn't pay that much.
One of the calls of the job is access to the equipment and accomodation
pricing.

It seems most likely to me that this product is just another
not-so-good
ampliifer that gets on the RCL like all the other amplifiers that
this
magazine evaluates.

Maybe you should listen to it in blind comparisons with the same
system MF
used
before passing judgement.

Why?

So you can make an unbiased evaluation based on what you actually hear. Isn't
that the point of blind listening?

Sure but as I've said before I don't have to drive a Yugo to know that it's not
as fast as a Corvette.

You're telling me that I should accept his say-so about sound
quality when
this device went off the skid-pad during lateral acceleration testing?

No, I am not saying that nor have I ever said that.

You appear to be implying such. And you can't even consider commenting on my
opinion that my system sounds more like live music than any other I've ever
heard because YOU haven't listened to it.

I have a number of amplifiers (of which I've collected over 15 years as the
need ffor channels arose) that all sound exactly alike and some people, without
ever listening to a single one of them, have enough nerve to question me about
it, and yet I'm called on to stop commenting on a product without having
listened to it in a 3rd party system?

I'd be willing to bet that you haven't heard the Wavac amplifier in MFs system
..... have you?