S888Wheel

Default Steely Dan The Absolute Sound

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 7/22/2004 4:22 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote:

Absolute Sound

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 7/22/2004 10:33 AM Pacific Standard Time

(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
(Nousaine)

...snip.....

As humans we "hear" loudness, pitch (aka partial loudness) and arrival
time.
That's it. If the "amplifier" can transmit the signal to the loudspeaker
terminals with no degradations in level and no changes in partial level
differences and no additions (distortion) or arrival timing error it will
be
subjectively perfect.

It is an interesting little story on "you and your ears" but what does it
have
to do with your extraordinary claim that you don't need to hear the system
in
question to know what it sounds like?

Its similar to the idea that I don't have to drive a Aveo and a Ferrari to
know
which one is faster.

Unfortunately it is not similar. I hope you have more than a bad analogy to
support your extraoridinary claim.

Because we humans only hear level, pitch and timing we
can
tell from measurements which electronic devices will deliver level, pitch
(frequency response) and timing (no time-dependency in amplification) to

the
speaker terminals most accurately.

Unfortunately for your agument the signal doesn't stop at the speaker
terminals.

That's true but you're not explaining exactly how an amplifier/wire or lp has
the ability to change the signal inside a speaker or its acoustical output in
any way that is not a function of the signal delivered to the speaker input
terminals.

I don't need to explain anything here. you are the one claiming you don't need
to hear MFs system with the WAVACs to know what it sounds like. I think that is
nonsense. But if you wish to make a large wager maybe we can persuade the folks
at WAVAC and MF to put your claim to the test. If you don't need to hear MF's
system to know what it sounds like with the WAVACs then you should easily be
able to identify it blind out of ten other unknown systems randomly played for
you to choose from. I'll place a bet against you.

chung

S888Wheel wrote:

Sure it is. Good thing some one came up with dither to help digital with this
problem. Funny thing though, CDs were already proclaimed champion by the
measurement folks before they were being dithered. Now an undithered digital
recording is considered defective.

Can you provide an example of a CD recording with no dithering applied?

I'm afraid, once again, you have shown your anti-digital prejudice.
Dithering is always a part of digital audio. It's only the high-end
audiophiles who sometimes have trouble understanding that, and putting
up a strawman like you just did.
Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
(Bruce J. Richman) wrote:

That is simply wrong. Any number of outstanding LPs have been recorded

and
mastered with no compression.

Weren't the old Shefield's direct to disk?

Yes, they were, as were such labels as Crystal Clear, Century, Direct

Disc.
name just a few. Also, in more recent times, Analogue Productions, the
record
label for Chad Kassem's Acoustic Sounds, has also produced direct to disc
reecordings. And several former direct-to-disc recordings have won

Grammy
awards for engineering excellence (e.g. the LA Philharmonic's Wagner
recording).

For those unfortunate or prejudiced enough to not have vinyl playback
equipment, many of the Sheffield titles are also available on CD. I

would
recommend a sampler called "Drive" on the Sheffield label for a nice
assortment
of cuts from various famous Sheffield albums (e.g. Harry James, the

Moscow
Sessions, etc.). This CD was originally designed to serve as a test CD

of
sorts for automotive stereo systems, and the notes accompanying each cut

in
the
CD booklet are very interesting.

.
Bruce J. Richman

Oh Sure; and the Thelma Huston "Pressure Cooker" lps I bought with the
assurance that once the masters were used up there would never be

availability
again; was forever askanst by the release of the same material on cd; in a
couple years by the "discovery" of analog back-up copies that were made at

the
time.

What a crock; then and now.

Sorry Sheffield announced from the beginning that they were making analog
recordings as backups, and that they might be released after the direct to
disks were gone. The only think promised was that the direct-to-disks were
limited in number and once sold, were gone forever.

The crock is your mistaken assertion.
Harry Lavo

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
newsQaMc.148059$%_6.59039@attbi_s01...
On 22 Jul 2004 22:42:04 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Moreover, the older classical and jazz disk were not compressed at all

(the
original recordings often were manually gain-ridden, more akin to

limiters
being used, rather than compression).

No, gain riding *is* compression, limiting is quite different. Listen
to a DBX compander 'breathing' for a fine example of automated
gain-riding.

I'm sorry, Stewart, gain riding on classical and jazz was only done in
those few places where sound peaks occured...it was thus properly classified
as limiting. Except for those peaks, there was no compression of dynamics.
Compression affects the entire recording, boosting the lows and reducing the
highs eveny over a wide range.

This "no compression"pattern
thankfully is being restored via SACD and DVD-A recordings. It was not
until. the late 70's that compression became obviously used in pop music,
and not until the 90's that the use of it got truly obnoxious. The irony

is
that many, many CD's today have only 10-15db of dynamic range, thereby
wasting one theoretical advantage of the medium.

Agreed.

Good that this happens once in awhile! :-)
chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:09:25 GMT, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

As far as I'm concerned this thread has reached its logical
conclusion. Mr Lavo will forever consider any opinion I hold, that
doesn't match his, to be not-worth-buying because I've "never had"

good enough vinyl system.

I find it quite hilarious that, when backed into a corner by those

who
*have* used top-class vinyl gear, he then claims that it must not

have
been set up properly! Perhaps the reverse is true - Harry sets up his
vinyl rig so that it sounds very different from CD. I would define
that as a *bad* setup............

It's also very illuminating that those prefer CD's very seldom resort

defenses such as "but you never listen to a top-class CD system (set up
properly)" when debating with vinyl lovers...

Well, if you all profess that a cheap $100 player sounds as good as (and
indistinguishable from) more expensive systems, as many here have

asserted,
then it doesn't matter, does it?

The point, of course, is that the majority of CD players sound very
similar, whereas by your own admission, it almost requires heroic
efforts to set up a vinyl rig properly. So what are the chances of vinyl
rigs (like the one that you own and the one that Mr. Wheel owns)
sounding alike? If they all sound different, what does that tell you
about the accuracy of vinyl rigs?

How do you know that Mr. Wheel's and my systems don't sound very similar?
We seem to agree a lot on our sound judgments, so who is to say we didn't
end up independently with very neutral but very fine phono systems?

Of course, it is possible. The question, if you read what I wrote, was
how likely, given the pains you went through to finely set up your
equipment, and your very particular, uh, taste in cartridges?

And are you suggesting that all those vinyl lovers who believe in the
accuracy of vinyl all have very neutral and fine phone systems that
sound the same?

Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

It was the attempts to define a vocabulary to describe sound,

My favorite is the 'butterscotch' sounding ARC preamp. What a
noble heritage!

Actually, if you've had much experience with ARC preamps, you'll probably
even know which models he was referring to and which not.

I do, but no matter. Why is that important?

I can understand why you might be defensive about TAS characterizing a
preamp as butterscotch sounding.

Butterscotch litterally gives me dry heaves, but no piece of audio equipment
ever has, no matter how bad.

Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:

Compression isn't inherently evil. It's been used
during tracking,
mixing and mastering for decades, and you wouldn't want to remove
*all* of it from your favorite recordings.

Perhaps not. I'd probably prefer not to have any added after the final mix
though.

And how many of your LPs fit that bill?

Clearly, adding *some* compression (along with the otehr stuff added by LP
mastering and playback) is OK with LPphiles...it's jsut adding *too much*
that bothers some...same as CD fans. And of course, 'too much' is purely
subjective, too.

The 'loudness wars'
simply manifest an extreme example of use during mastering.
And compression is only one of many 'adjustments' that can be made
during mastering.

Yeah, it has been a very unfortunate trend.

So were fake stereo and recycled vinyl during the LP era.

Besides, 'loudness war' reissues cater to a market that wants a certain
kind of euphonic distortion. So do vinyl reissues.

Balony. They are very different in character and serve a different purpose.

All that means is: you find one euphonic and the other, not so euphonic.

Btw, if you're suddently so worried abotu the consumer, where's the
anxiety
about expensive high-end stuff that makes dubious-at-best claims for
performance?

I am not as worried about the consumer at large as I am focused on myself

as
"the consumer." I am not worried about claims of manufacturers since I do

not
buy equipment based on claims.

Surely Grover interconnects must be tempting.

Where did that come from? Were we talking about interconnects?

You know exactly what hte reference means.

OTOH when it comes to music and the various
issues available auditions are not as easy to come by. So message boards

such
as Stevehoffman.tv do come in handy for some guidence. It is still hit and

miss
but thankfully the investment is not on the same level as equipment. When

it
comes to music reviews I am more aware of which reviewers' preferences tend

mirror my own and use that in some purchasing decisions. I also pay

attention
to my experience with various labels and my expereince with the various
engineers behind the releases of these labels.

I read lots of audiophile forums. On the ones where viunylphiles feel
comfortable
letting it all hang out, I've seen a significant amount of bitching
and disagreement about various vinyl reissues -- this one is noisy, that one
used
a digital master,etc.

Yeah, so? Is that a bad thing? People freely expressing their honest opinions
about what is available on the market? The horror!

But it does go to your point about CD buyers being faced with tough
choices if they only want the 'best sounding' version. It's an issue for
LPphiles too.

Then again, maybe it simply that often you likes the sound that vinyl
mastering and playback adds to the master tape.

Maybe, maybe not. Does it matter why I like what I like?

You do seem rather reflexively defensive about it.

One would think you shoudl be pushing for reel-to-reel -- another format
that could beat vinyl technically in its day.

I have no problem with people who want to pursue that medium.

So, why favor vinyl? Availability?

them
still displaying the inherent flaws of vinyl,

The inherent limitations of vinyl I think is hardly much of an issue.

Well, not for you, of course.

Not for me and others who have managed to overcome their anti-vinyl paranoia.

No one's *afraid* of vinyl, Scott. Am I 'paranoid' for preferring DVD to
VHS? (And what to make of CDphiles who still own and use turntables? Are
they schizophrenic?))

If one
can get past their anti-vinyl biases I think just about everyone would be

quite
impressed with vinyl at it's very best. Most of the battle is in the

recordings
and masterings once you have a good high end rig.

I'm always impressed that such a primitive technology could produce such
pleasant results. But it's not pleasant enough to be worth it, to me.

That is a matter of personal values. Most people don't think quality playback
of music is worth much money or effort at all.

I think it's worth pursuing. Alas, LP doesn't constitute high enough
'quality playback' for me. I want something better.

and, according to
vinylphiles themselves, requiring expensive rigs and extensive
'optimization' to extract the benefits.

That is true. But it is also true of speakers and rooms. No one promised

the
hobby will be cheap or easy.

But nowadays it doesn't have to be *quite that* difficult, is the point.

I wish it were true. And I think that seems to be a driving point of many
"objectivists." Some people are simply not comfortable if they don't have all
the answers and easy solutions to their needs.

Some people create 'solutions' for themselves needlessly, perhaps enjoying
the rituals of tweakery for their own sake.

material,

No.

I dunno, are there any recordings of the '1812 overture',
a fairly popular piece, that are on uncompressed vinyl?

1812 Overture (CSO / Reiner ) (4 discs; 45 RPM)
Artist: Tchaikovsky
Label: Classic Records
Format: LP

LOL. 4 discs, 45 RPM. I should have guessed.

The legendary Reiner 1812 that was only available as a "1S" pressing having
been deleted soon after the Mercury 1812 featuring live cannon shots was
released making for a very rare original to find. T...

So, if they put *that* one on uncompressed vinyl, would one of the four
45s be devoted entirely to the cannon shots?

And that's leaving aside rock albums.

Non-answer noted.

And how many vinyl recordingd don't sum bass to mono?

Can you tell the difference?

I dunno; but I'd rather not have to question it at all. Such bass summing
is done specifically because of the *limitations of the medium*.
So, how many vinyl masterings don't sum bass to mono?

and requiring an expensive rig to play without the danger of damage to
the record or rig.

No. One can get a rig that will not endanger the vinyl in any unusual

manner
that is not particularly expensive.

Like, how expensive? Comparatively speaking, to play a recording with
a full dynamic and frequency range, asuming such a beast even existed
on LP, how much would it cost for a TT rig that could do it justice without
sending
the tonearm skidding across the vinyl?

http://www.hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=514

Great, now play some full-frequency, full-dynamic range cannon shots on
that one and get back to me. (I'll assume you have the poor thing well
vibration-proofed too).

Compared to a CD of same?

A portable player at $25-30 -- 1/10 the cost...assumign your listed TT
really does what I'm asking it to do.

*This* is what you consider a viable
choice comapred to CDs

It is better to have the choice than not to have the choice IMO.

Again, where's the call for a return to reel-to-reel?

Why would I make such a call? I think I'd rather take a stab at SACD or DVD
audio. At least the few titles that exist are easily found.

Stab away.

(most of the pop music canon has now been
remastered
at least once, btw;

Yes it has and all too often quite poorly.

Then again, all too often it was crap on vinyl first...

Yeah it was. Most pop recordings are simply bad. I still think finding the best
version for me is worth while.

Too often the crappyness was compounded by the vulnerabilities and
weaknesses of the vinyl medium.

you could always seek out the 'used'
supposedly 'flat transfers' that Hoffmanites worship)

I have. I don't always like them. I don't think it is fair to say that

Hoffman
"worships" these transfers. He often considers them to be the best CD

versions
available ofr a given title. That is all. Good to know don't you think?

*Hoffmanites*

You sort of were one once weren't you?

Nope. *Hoffmanites* comprise a subset of participants on the Hoffman
board.

Before they suspended you for not
following the rules. You certainly were a regular on those message boards.

I certainly was. But I certainly was never a *Hoffmanite*.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
[...]

which one is faster. Because we humans only hear level, pitch and

timing
we can
tell from measurements which electronic devices will deliver level,

pitch
(frequency response) and timing (no time-dependency in amplification)

the
speaker terminals most accurately.

Conveniently ignoring the brain's role in integrating these in very

subtle
and complex fashion. Tom, there is a difference between "sound" and the
interpretation of it by the brain, in this case as reproduced music..

and
don't give me your usual reply that if you can't "hear" it, the brain

can't
interpret it. That's a given...but the brain can discern very fine
discrepancies in relationsships between the various factors, each of

which
may be measured as "acceptable" by themselves. For example, can you

tell me
why the brain interprets a string section as "not right" even when

measured
frequency response is ruler flat to 20khz and beyond?

Several reasons:

(1) You are not familiar with the recording venue's acoustics.
(2) Your memory of what's "right" is based on certain performances or
recordings. But you have no idea what the live feed sounds like in a
particular recording. Your memory may also be simply faulty.
(3) There may have been intentional errors (like compression) introduced
in mastering.
(4) Your speakers may have errors.
(5) You may have been conditoned to listening to vinyl with all its
artifacts, so that digital recordings sound unreal to you.
(6) You have a bias against digital recordings.

Need more?

Nope you made my point. Frequency response, volume, and timing per say tell
very little about a piece of gear, much less a system, when considered
separately. An amp that dynamically compresses and alters the frequency
response of the system will not show any problems when measured using
conventional measurements. And it may not show up with many kinds of music.
But a trained ear, listening to the right material, and with experience with
live music in a similar acoustic environment, will most likely pick it up
with some extended listening. And without dbt.

Harry, you have to be a bit more technical savvy. Any amp that
dynamically compresses will show distortion that is easily measureable.
Yes, with conventional measurements.

I am honestly shocked to see this from one who has been in this hobby
for as long as you have...
chung

From: chung
Date: 7/22/2004 3:35 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 7/19/2004 3:38 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Bob Marcus"

Date: 7/14/2004 8:30 AM Pacific Standard Time

B&D wrote:

On 7/13/04 6:45 PM, in article
, "John
Atkinson" wrote:

Please note that I am not defending this amplifier's performance.
I am only pointing out that those on this forum who condemn its
sound without actually having heard it are shooting in the dark.

And herein lies the problem - people on this group are quick to condemn
based upon a data sheet rather than trying it out.

Some of us have heard highly distorting systems with massive bass humps
before. We don't need to listen to another one to know we won't like it.

bob

Let me get this straight, you can look at the the measurements of the

WAVAC
and
from those measurements you can determine with a reasonable level of
certainty
that you have heard a *system* that sounded so similar to the *system* MF
reported on in his review that you wouldn't require an audition to form an
opinion on it's sonic merits?

Absolutely.

Seems like a pretty outrageous claim to me. Feel free to prove it.

I wish you would demand the same degree of "rigor" from those making
fantastic claims like cables requiring break-in.

Why? Do you feel objectivists claims require less rigor?

I guess not, but that is neither here nor there. Note that I said the
"same degree"...

You seem to be taking
Tom at his word that he can tell what MF's system sounds like without hearing
it.

I take Tom's word that he knows the sonic merits, or lack thereof, of
the Wavav amp.

I take Tom's word that he could tell what distortion and bass bumps
sound like.

Now do you not believe Tom's ability to tell what those errors sound like?

Anyone who has any understanding of amplifiers will appreciate the
significance of the following:

1. Huge bass bump at around 80 Hz.

2. High output impedance.

3. 10% distortion at 20 Hz (8 ohm tap, 8 ohm load).

4. 5% distortion at 15W output, 1KHz. 2.2% at 2W. (8 ohm tap, 8 ohm load.)

5. Huge intermodulation distortion at 2.5W output.

6. Significant AC spurious components.

Most of us would say that you do not need an audition to form an opinion
of the sonic merits of that amp,

I am aware of that. Most of you have said it.

Do you believe it?

and that's why you read those really
negative remarks (e.g. POS) about this amp from posters in this
newsgroup.

Yes I read POS from the folks who haven't listened to the amp and gee I liked
it form at least one person who actually listened to it.

So tell us what you think about the amp. You think you may like it?

After all, there is no possibility of anything else in a
system that will undo those errors.

I do think blind comparisons on MFs system between these amps and "competent"
amps would be most interesting.

Why need blinding if there is a huge bass bump? Or 5% distortion at 2W?
Are those subtle effects?
S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 7/23/2004 12:07 PM Pacific Standard Time
Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

On 22 Jul 2004 00:14:53 GMT,

Subject: Steely Dan The Absolute Sound
From: "Ban"

Date: 7/21/2004 10:09 AM Pacific Standard Time

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Unfortunately, the hobby hasn't been called "high-fi" in many
years...high-end audio has replaced that terminology.

That should make you think. Why was the term Hi-Fi abandoned?

Could it be true that some of the higher priced gear didn't fulfill
the
"HiFi" requirements, which were coined down in international
standards, and
for that reason another term had to be invented?

No, the history of the terminology is well known amoung some
audiophiles and
this was not what happened.

Quite right. Harry Pearson simply had to find some labels on which to
hang his tweaky notions of why ultra-exotic and weirdly-designed
equipment could be sold at exorbitent prices to an unsuspecting
public. He and his accomplices at rags such as TAS have probably done
irreparable harm to the high-fidelity sound reproduction field by
encouraging nonsenses such as 'audiophile' cable and single-ended tube
amps.

So you couldn't nail down
the company and return the crappy gear. At least with the Wavac that
seems
to indicate this lengthly practiced habit.

Really? Do you have any evidence that WAVAC owners have been trying to
return
their amps but WAVAC refuses because audiophiles commonly use the term
"high
end" instead of "hifi?"

Do you have any evidence that anyone actually *does* own one of these
ludicrous toys?

Isn't that an interesting question. If it sounds so good why doesn't JA
own
one? And if he does ....... what was the purchase price?

Maybe because he is not so wealthy that 350,000 bucks isn't an issue, even with
a discount. Maybe he likes other amps better. Maybe they are too big and too
hot. People can like things and not wish to buy them or even wish to own them.

S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 7/23/2004 11:58 AM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote:..

...snips to content .........

It is common dilema that consumers face a multitude of choices amoung
masterings. All too often the best and least compressed is on vinyl.

Btw, if you're suddently so worried abotu the consumer, where's the
anxiety
about expensive high-end stuff that makes dubious-at-best claims for
performance?

I am not as worried about the consumer at large as I am focused on myself as
"the consumer." I am not worried about claims of manufacturers since I do

not
buy equipment based on claims. OTOH when it comes to music and the various
issues available auditions are not as easy to come by. So message boards

such
as Stevehoffman.tv do come in handy for some guidence. It is still hit and
miss
but thankfully the investment is not on the same level as equipment. When it
comes to music reviews I am more aware of which reviewers' preferences tend
mirror my own and use that in some purchasing decisions. I also pay

attention
to my experience with various labels and my expereince with the various
engineers behind the releases of these labels.

...snips....

And ther reality they face if they re-embrace LP? Old records that
used compression, OR a tiny minority of new ones, that don't.

Or old ones that often beat the tar out of any CD version. At any rate one's
choices are broader with both media.

All of
them
still displaying the inherent flaws of vinyl,

The inherent limitations of vinyl I think is hardly much of an issue. If one
can get past their anti-vinyl biases I think just about everyone would be
quite
impressed with vinyl at it's very best.

If one can get over their anti-bit bias. Please; you have to have a pro-lp
bias
to make decisions they way that you have done.

Wrong. I was quite pro CD when I made my first comparisons between LPs and CDs
using high end LP playback gear. I got over that pro CD bias. Apparently you
didn't.

Most of the battle is in the
recordings
and masterings once you have a good high end rig.

Once you've wasted as money as Harry has done only THEN will you be qualified
to have an "opinion."

Money well spent to one person is money wasted to another. I think owning
several amps for the sake of arguing they all sound the same is a waste of
money, you consider it money well spent. Butno, one does not have to own
equipment to listen to it. There is nothing wrong with listening to equipment
owned by others. The point is listening though not owning.

and, according to
vinylphiles themselves, requiring expensive rigs and extensive
'optimization' to extract the benefits.

That is true. But it is also true of speakers and rooms. No one promised the
hobby will be cheap or easy.

Sure; but you won't accept any but expensive choices as being fungible.

One of the things that is most consistant with you is your amazing ability to
misrepresent my views. Please cite any quote that supports this inflamatory
assertion. Frankly I thought this kind of mud slinging was not allowed on RAHE.

Meanwhile, the CDphile could either hang onto their non-maximized
versions, or seek them out in used bins, or seek out only remasters
that are done well.

Non-maximizable versions? Exactly which are those?

That is one for Steve to answer. He said it.

So can anyone who prefers vinyl by and large. It isn't an either /or
situation.

Really?

Really.

Not according to you,

Wow, two gross misrepresentations of my views in one post. Impressive.

or have I misinterpreted you position?

Twice in one post, so far.

And any of them will be free of the inherent
defects of vinyl, and a $125 CD player may exactly
duplicate the excellent fidelity of one costing ten times as much.

I am not suggesting that CDs be abandoned for vinyl.

LP's REQUIRE compression for the medium to be even usable.

That is simply wrong. Any number of outstanding LPs have been recorded
and
mastered with no compression.

A tiny, tiny minority,

I don't think so; this is OS AF.

I don't think so either. there are many reissues out now that don't suffer from
compression.

Yes.

consisting of a narrow spectrum of musical
material,

No.

and requiring an expensive rig to play without the danger of damage to
the record or rig.

No. One can get a rig that will not endanger the vinyl in any unusual manner
that is not particularly expensive.

*This* is what you consider a viable
choice comapred to CDs

It is better to have the choice than not to have the choice IMO.

(most of the pop music canon has now been
remastered
at least once, btw;

Yes it has and all too often quite poorly.

Examples? Be sure to include a comparison to the lp release. IME a cd-r of
the
lp just shows that most of them were released for radio-play. So what?

If your conclusion is "so what?" then what is the point of citing examples? If
your conclusion is "so what" then one has to wonder if sound quality with these
recordings matters to you.

you could always seek out the 'used'
supposedly 'flat transfers' that Hoffmanites worship)

I have. I don't always like them. I don't think it is fair to say that
Hoffman
"worships" these transfers. He often considers them to be the best CD
versions
available ofr a given title. That is all. Good to know don't you think?

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

I have no way of knowing that, for sure. But I do know that most MC
cartridges can be made to be reasonable "flat" with proper loading, and
their manufacturers are not loath to give out the proper information. I
also know that nowadays, there are many good (read "neutral") turntables and
arms out there compared to the past, and a de facto standardization on
medium mass arms for MC's. So it wouldn't surprise me if many of them
weren't in the ballpark.

" It was the attempts to define a vocabulary to describe sound,

My favorite is the 'butterscotch' sounding ARC preamp. What a
noble heritage!

Actually, if you've had much experience with ARC preamps, you'll probably
even know which models he was referring to and which not."

And in the absense of controlled listening test all such claims are
"true", if someone says it is/happened then it is true. Is "butterscotch"
the defining "thing" that will allow you in a dbt to pick that amp from
among others?

Do a dbt where the only control is a cloth, of your choice, placed on the
connections of the gear under test. You can then resume your views below
and surely a choir of those to tell you of the correctness of your holding
them. We will have another datum point to add to the listening alone
benchmark, a win/win for all.

"All I can say is I have been building and evolving audio systems, and
recording and evaluating recordings, since the 50's. I trust my judgment,
have made relatively few mistakes (contrary to Stewart's assumptions I am
the antithesis of a "churner"), and have a system that pleases me
enormously
and virtually everybody else who hears it. Isn't what this hobby is all
about?

Along the way, I have listened to enough, recorded enough, and set up
enough
equipment to have developed a very good ability to judge quality
objectively..I am rarely taken in by hype, do not use green pens, go for a
very neutral sound, use very modest cables in my system...in many ways
exemplary to the viewpoints expressed here. But I do not buy the
assumption
that one cannot make good listening judgments / equipment evaluations
without dbt. And I do believe that such tests in practice tend to favor
certain kinds of listening and disfavor others and thus do not attune to
the
way I reach long-term satisfaction with a system."
John Atkinson

chung wrote in message
S888Wheel wrote:
Good thing some one came up with dither to help digital with
this problem. Funny thing though, CDs were already proclaimed
champion by the measurement folks before they were being dithered.
Now an undithered digital recording is considered defective.

Can you provide an example of a CD recording with no dithering applied?

There were many released in the 1980s, Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop,"
for example.

I'm afraid, once again, you have shown your anti-digital prejudice.
Dithering is always a part of digital audio.

I wish that had been true Most of the pro audio digital hardware
available in the early 1980s did not use dither, unless it was
inadvertently done by a fortuitous noisefloor. The original Sony
digital editor, for example, did not not dither its mathematical
operations, merely truncating the longer word lengths. Worse,
even when set to unity gain, it had a gain very slightly different
from unity, meaning that it still operated on the data, reintroducing
quantizing distortion as it did so.

It was only at the end of that decade that pro audio digital
components routinely incorporated dither, thanks to the
proseltyzing of academics like Stanley Lip****z, who had been
beating the drum on the behalf of dither since before the CD launch.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

B&D

On 7/23/04 12:04 PM, in article zGaMc.168737$Oq2.24685@attbi_s52, "Nousaine"
wrote:

[...]

The marketing types are rather difficult.

I heard on NPR a group that has used microscope photography in order to
"read" both wax reels and older disks that were archived and too delicate to
play - and also be able to process and remove both surface noise and effects
of dust.

It didn't sound as good as playing the discs (even on AM radio one could
notice this) but the scientists who did it basically said that the
technology was young - and to keep in mind that the material they would be
reading would be unplayable anyway.

Interesting - a whole host of "master tapes" and "lost recordings" will
likely be found in the next few years!

"But a trained ear, listening to the right material, and with experience
with
live music in a similar acoustic environment, will most likely pick it up
with some extended listening. And without dbt."

The current benchmark using listening alone is completely to the contrary,
when do you begin your testing? How will you control for the well
known/demonstrated perception problems that occur when the gear being
tested is known? If you can't answer these questions then your opinion
is as good as the kid with the 10 band eq well satisfied his ears have
revealed the ultimate sound the "smile" on it produces; without dbt.

Harry Lavo

wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

It was the attempts to define a vocabulary to describe sound,

My favorite is the 'butterscotch' sounding ARC preamp. What a
noble heritage!

Actually, if you've had much experience with ARC preamps, you'll

probably
even know which models he was referring to and which not.

I do, but no matter. Why is that important?

I can understand why you might be defensive about TAS characterizing a
preamp as butterscotch sounding.

Butterscotch litterally gives me dry heaves, but no piece of audio

equipment
ever has, no matter how bad.

"buttery, sweet, thick, smooth"....a coloration. If that's how it sounded
to the reviewer it's not a bad description.

Ban

John Atkinson wrote:
I wish that had been true Most of the pro audio digital hardware
available in the early 1980s did not use dither, unless it was
inadvertently done by a fortuitous noisefloor. The original Sony
digital editor, for example, did not not dither its mathematical
operations, merely truncating the longer word lengths. Worse,
even when set to unity gain, it had a gain very slightly different
from unity, meaning that it still operated on the data, reintroducing
quantizing distortion as it did so.

It was only at the end of that decade that pro audio digital
components routinely incorporated dither, thanks to the
proseltyzing of academics like Stanley Lip****z, who had been
beating the drum on the behalf of dither since before the CD launch.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Are you really sure John? When I started working in a famous recording
studio 1975, we still had not yet digital mastering machines, but we had a
digital reverb by EMT(15T$), which already used dither and there were the
first digital desks available (I think it was Harrison). There was also a
Sony gadget which would record digitally on a VCR. It had so much noise in
its filter stages, dither wasn't really needed. But all this was long before
the time you are referring to.
Also in that time there were the first effect gadgets for guitar which used
only 8bit. Without dither it would have been impossible to use them. I
really cannot believe what you stated here.
The first time I heard about dither was 1973 in my technical acoustics
course at university. The professor explained it and we did some hands on
measurements on a HewlettPackard analyzer.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

If I understand you correctly, by your focus on MC cartridges, you have
eliminated the MM cartridges as contenders for accuracy? There goes a
significant precentage of vinyl rigs, right there. I guess the Shure V15
family of cartridges, which used to be very highly rated via
measurements and subjective reviews, just don't cut it (pun unintended)
anymore. And by the time you eliminate certain turntables and tonearms,
and then various preamps and amps, what is the chance of another
vinylist having the same sounding vinyl rig as yours? And we have not
even got to the careful set-up, or the conditions of the LP's yet.
chung

John Atkinson wrote:

chung wrote in message
S888Wheel wrote:
Good thing some one came up with dither to help digital with
this problem. Funny thing though, CDs were already proclaimed
champion by the measurement folks before they were being dithered.
Now an undithered digital recording is considered defective.

Can you provide an example of a CD recording with no dithering applied?

There were many released in the 1980s, Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop,"
for example.

Thanks for that example. How do you know that it did not have dither
[...]

Stewart Pinkerton

On 23 Jul 2004 19:10:29 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
newsQaMc.148059$%_6.59039@attbi_s01...
On 22 Jul 2004 22:42:04 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Moreover, the older classical and jazz disk were not compressed at all (the
original recordings often were manually gain-ridden, more akin to limiters
being used, rather than compression).

No, gain riding *is* compression, limiting is quite different. Listen
to a DBX compander 'breathing' for a fine example of automated
gain-riding.

I'm sorry, Stewart, gain riding on classical and jazz was only done in
those few places where sound peaks occured.

That's simply not true, it was also used to bring up quiet passages
whoich would otherwise have vanished into surface noise.

.it was thus properly classified
as limiting. Except for those peaks, there was no compression of dynamics.
Compression affects the entire recording, boosting the lows and reducing the
highs eveny over a wide range.

Compression does not have to be evenly distributed, indeed it's often
highly assymetrical.

This "no compression"pattern
thankfully is being restored via SACD and DVD-A recordings.

Hooey. There are no *master* tapes which even approach the dymaic
range of CD, so there's no advantage in 24 bits over 16 in a world
where the master tape has only 14 bits of range (at the very most).

B&D

On 7/23/04 12:15 PM, in article zQaMc.148061$%_6.3249@attbi_s01, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

On 22 Jul 2004 22:32:10 GMT, B&D wrote:

On 7/22/04 3:05 AM, in article lHJLc.7626$8_6.5406@attbi_s04,
" wrote:

S888Wheel wrote:

They are mastered differently in so far as they need to be cut on a lathe
but
if you are assuming that compression is universally applied to all LPs and
no CDs you are quite mistaken. Some of the best LPs are mastered with no
use
of
compression while many CDs are compressed to death in the mastering stage.

You missed the point. The CD medium does not require compression AT ALL
(for acoustic music at least) in mastering. If a CD master is compressed it
it either by choice (preference) or outright stupidity.

LP's REQUIRE compression for the medium to be even usable.

The point here was not a discussion of techniques required to give accurate
results in the mastering stages of production (RIAA curves and all).

The point is that while the CD has a lot of potential (one can argue about
where the heights of that potential may lie) is that very few CD's ever
achieve it since the record companies spend a lot of time compressing the
dynamic peaks of the music - there are special pieces of equipment used for
this as well to reduce the dynamics.

You're listening to the wrong kind of music.....................

I try not to listen to that kind of music - but I am aware of it since I
sometimes record my own stuff.

But I *do* like a lot of rock and pop - which I agree is a bit of a
minefield.

Incidentally they tend to either model
or use tubes to do the compression since the compression is more euphonic,
generally, but the fact is that most, possibly the vast majority of modern
recordings have significant compression and reduction of the dynamic range.

Only rock and pop titles.

Yes - usually jazz, blues and classical are not compressed as much. But pop
*is* the vast majority of recorded music.

This is to sound "better" on portable players mostly.

There are some truly excellent recordings out there on CD, even some pop
recordings (even a couple of remasters, too!), but the average state of the
medium has dropped significantly over the last decade.

The new vinyl, on the other hand, has become almost a pure audiophile
pursuit, so the new stuff tends to be mastered very, very well, and cut with
an attention to quality that hadn't been seen often in the heyday.

This is certainly true - but it's still an intrinsically flawed
medium!

No argument - but the way CD is *used* makes it no better than that flawed
medium. (And CD is flawed - but less so).

Harry Lavo

On 23 Jul 2004 19:10:29 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
newsQaMc.148059$%_6.59039@attbi_s01...
On 22 Jul 2004 22:42:04 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Moreover, the older classical and jazz disk were not compressed at all

(the
original recordings often were manually gain-ridden, more akin to

limiters
being used, rather than compression).

No, gain riding *is* compression, limiting is quite different. Listen
to a DBX compander 'breathing' for a fine example of automated
gain-riding.

I'm sorry, Stewart, gain riding on classical and jazz was only done in
those few places where sound peaks occured.

That's simply not true, it was also used to bring up quiet passages
whoich would otherwise have vanished into surface noise.

This might have been done during the mastering to LP phase, although that
was usually done using automatic symetrical compressors...i'm talking about
gain-riding during the recording which was almost always restricted to
eliminating overload on those few peaks, so that the overall level could be
brought up to a level where the "low-level" was out of the tape noise. It
was extremely difficult to do well, required rehearsal and an engineer who
could read a score, and was not requied nearly as often as would have been
raising signal during soft passages.

.it was thus properly classified
as limiting. Except for those peaks, there was no compression of

dynamics.
Compression affects the entire recording, boosting the lows and reducing

the
highs eveny over a wide range.

Compression does not have to be evenly distributed, indeed it's often
highly assymetrical.

No it does not, but in the old days it usually was.

This "no compression"pattern
thankfully is being restored via SACD and DVD-A recordings.

Hooey. There are no *master* tapes which even approach the dymaic
range of CD, so there's no advantage in 24 bits over 16 in a world
where the master tape has only 14 bits of range (at the very most).

However, heavy compression became the norm during the CD era, and perhaps
because Sony's SACD originally did not allow compression, heavy compression
has become the "un-norm" for SACD realeases and some DVD-A releases,
particularly classical and jazz.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

The V15 used in a medium mass arm is not optimized (which may be why there
are so many complaints here of warp-wow with warps and off-center
holes...this tends mostly to be a problem with a too-massive arm and a
too-compliant cartridge). And there are precious few (in fact off-hand I
don't know of any) low mass arms being made/sold today. So unless you are
using older arms or turntables with arms that are at least low-medium mass,
you would be better off with an MC in all probablility, assuming a good
preamp that can handle it.

Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

It was the attempts to define a vocabulary to describe sound,

My favorite is the 'butterscotch' sounding ARC preamp. What a
noble heritage!

Actually, if you've had much experience with ARC preamps, you'll

probably
even know which models he was referring to and which not.

I do, but no matter. Why is that important?

I can understand why you might be defensive about TAS characterizing a
preamp as butterscotch sounding.

Butterscotch litterally gives me dry heaves, but no piece of audio

equipment
ever has, no matter how bad.

"buttery, sweet, thick, smooth"....a coloration. If that's how it sounded
to the reviewer it's not a bad description.

Uh huh. It's amusing you're defending it.

It's very ersatz fanciful writing, nothing more, like all high end fanzine
purple prose.

Granted, it helps sell magazines.
Stewart Pinkerton

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 7/22/2004 10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time
The nice thing about classical CDs
is that they are almost never compressed- because they don't *have* to
be,

Most of them sure sound compressed.

A classic beginners mistake. Compressed music always *appears* more
'dynamic' than genuinely wide range sound - radio station sound
engineers have known this for many decades. Truly wide range sound,
such as is easily obtianable from CD, sounds slightly 'flat' by
comparison - but more like the original mic feed.

whereas more than 90% of all classical LPs have noticeable
compression, if only to lift the low-level detail above the noise
floor.

Not IME.

Clearly, we have different experiences..................

BTW, that's the reason behind the common claim of better 'inner
detail' from LP's - it's not *really* low-level detail at all!

Sure it is.

No, it isn't, that's the whole point of compression - it turns
low-level detail into medium-level detail, so that you can hear it
above vinyl surface noise.

Good thing some one came up with dither to help digital with this
problem.

Dither is an essential part of the process - and always was, way back
before CD was launched. That some ignorant clowns in the industry were
unaware of this, doesn't alter the facts.

Funny thing though, CDs were already proclaimed champion by the
measurement folks before they were being dithered.

The good ones were *always* dithered. However, it's true that even an
undithered CD is greatly superior to vinyl as far as measurements go.

Now an undithered digital
recording is considered defective.

Always was, if you actually understood the technology.

Kind of like those old SS amps.

They were always bad, and only the audio industry was dumb enough not
to know this.

Last years
perfection is this years damaged goods.

No, last year's 'product of the month' is this year's damaged goods -
because it was always damaged. The good stuff is always good - but
almost never 'high end'.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 23 Jul 2004 19:09:10 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

Oh Sure; and the Thelma Huston "Pressure Cooker" lps I bought with
the
assurance that once the masters were used up there would never be
availability
again; was forever askanst by the release of the same material on cd;
in a
couple years by the "discovery" of analog back-up copies that were
made at the
time.

What a crock; then and now.

Sorry Sheffield announced from the beginning that they were making
analog
recordings as backups, and that they might be released after the
direct to
disks were gone. The only think promised was that the direct-to-disks
were
limited in number and once sold, were gone forever.

That is simply not true. I collected many Sheffields in the '70s,
right from Lab 1 (the third in the series.....), and no mention was
*ever* made of the existence of any backup tapes, until *after* all
the DD discs were safely in music stores.

The crock is your mistaken assertion.

No, the crock is Sheffield telling porkies to keep up prices.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
[...]

I didn't say it couldn't be measured. I said it wouldn't show up as
frequency deviation (which is the compression I am talking about) in a
conventional frequency response plot.
chung

Ban wrote:
John Atkinson wrote:
[...]

I worked at HP starting in 1976, and dither was very well understood and
used in high-speed/high-resolution ADC's and DAC's. I am really
surprised also if the Sony products did not have dithering included in
the design. Unless there is a sufficiently high noise-floor that the
ADC's self-dithered.

Certainly dithering has been a key part of digital audio theory before
the 1980's.
B&D

On 7/24/04 1:10 PM, in article 5KwMc.178294$XM6.4228@attbi_s53, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

This "no compression"pattern
thankfully is being restored via SACD and DVD-A recordings.

Hooey. There are no *master* tapes which even approach the dymaic
range of CD, so there's no advantage in 24 bits over 16 in a world
where the master tape has only 14 bits of range (at the very most).

The advantage is usually in the mastering and cleanup process. It will
usually be audible since the engineer won't have to "eat" into the effective
audible dynamic range.
Michael McKelvy

"B&D" wrote in message
On 7/20/04 11:45 AM, in article U6bLc.143743$Oq2.22642@attbi_s52, "Michael
McKelvy" wrote:

People who want to hear what they were intended to hear choose CD and

SS.

That is your opinion.

Nope, it's just that those methods of playback are more accurate.

Most tube designs and good SS sound about the same
anyway - and if both are backed out of compression - they both sound

great.
If tubes are compressing - they still tend to sound better than SS's
compression. SO it all depends.

I'm not talking about better, I'm talking about accuracy.

I will agree that it is far more affordable to get good sound out of a

CD/SS
setup - and much more convenient. This is why this is my basic setup.

I would further say, though, that to say that somehow vinyl and tube is
flawed and colored sound and somehow unacceptable - that is overstating

the
claim as well.

It's only unacceptable if you want the most accurate playback of what was
recorded.
Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:37:39 GMT, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 23 Jul 2004 19:10:29 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
newsQaMc.148059$%_6.59039@attbi_s01...
On 22 Jul 2004 22:42:04 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Moreover, the older classical and jazz disk were not compressed at all

(the
original recordings often were manually gain-ridden, more akin to

limiters
being used, rather than compression).

No, gain riding *is* compression, limiting is quite different. Listen
to a DBX compander 'breathing' for a fine example of automated
gain-riding.

I'm sorry, Stewart, gain riding on classical and jazz was only done in
those few places where sound peaks occured.

That's simply not true, it was also used to bring up quiet passages
which would otherwise have vanished into surface noise.

This might have been done during the mastering to LP phase, although that
was usually done using automatic symetrical compressors..

Well, at least you acknowledge that compression *was* used.

.i'm talking about
gain-riding during the recording which was almost always restricted to
eliminating overload on those few peaks, so that the overall level could be
brought up to a level where the "low-level" was out of the tape noise. It
was extremely difficult to do well, required rehearsal and an engineer who
could read a score, and was not requied nearly as often as would have been
raising signal during soft passages.

So, in summary, by the time the signal got from the microphones to the
LP, it had been both peak-limited and had the low-level detail brought
up. Glad we agree on that. Nice that it's simply not necessary with
CD.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:26:36 GMT, B&D wrote:

Yes - usually jazz, blues and classical are not compressed as much. But pop
*is* the vast majority of recorded music.

Only if you consider it to *be* music............... :-)

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

The fact that they didn't tell you personally doesn't mean it wasn't in
their press releases and interviews.

The crock is your mistaken assertion.

No, the crock is Sheffield telling porkies to keep up prices.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
(S888Wheel) wrote:

From:
[...]

Of course a dynamic compression may not show up as a frequency response
error. If there was a frequency response change because of compression,
certainly it could be measured with conventional measurements. Seems
like you have an unconventionally low regard for conventional
measurement capabilities. You know, that could be the root of your
distrust for objective meaurements.

BTW, frequency "deviation" means something totally different. No
compression can possibly result in frequency deviation.
Nousaine

wrote:

[...]

IMO onew of the surprise benefits of introduction of cd was the warehouse
clean-out of vinyl at record stores where copies of out-of-print lps would
suddenly turn up in the bins.

Michael McKelvy

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

I said:
The hobby is still called high-fi and that has a meaning. Anything

that
gets us closer to the intent of the artist by removing distortion,

noise,
compression, or whatever might be hiding the choices made by the

artist
and
the engineer is a benefit. I don't really care about other

preferences,
they are yours and you're welcome to them, but if they include

things
like
flawed playback devices, they are LOWER-fi.

Unfortunately, the hobby hasn't been called "high-fi" in many
years...high-end audio has replaced that terminology.

That should make you think. Why was the term Hi-Fi abandoned?

Could it be that it the real advancements have been done?

No, I think the phrase "high-end" was coined by Harry Pearson in the early
days of TAS, to define companies that were primarily listening-oriented

vs.
measurement-oriented, because everything was called "hi-fi" in those days,
including stuff that measured well but sounded like dreck...mostly mid-fi
stuff that was positioned as "hi-fi".

IIRC there was a standard for what was considered Hi-Fi, it had to perform
within certain limits. None of the measured well/sounded like dreck stuff
was ever compared via ABX to see if the sounded like dreck part was really
true, so in essence, it's just a blank assertion.

Harry, from the beginning, made a
point of noting that he was talking about where (how high, or how exalted)
they set their company's "mission", not their price. So a lot of not very
expensive gear was reviewed as well as some very expensive stuff.

And a lot of it by people who had very little idea what they were doing, if
one is to believe the Audio Critic.

For
example, NAD was considered high end. Yamaha was not. And that

distinction
was deserved based on the sound of the day.

By what objective verifiable standard?