Posted to rec.audio.pro
Max[_5_] Max[_5_] is offline

Default Tascam 32 question

Hi everyone,

The other day I came into a Tascam 32 quarter-inch open reel tape deck. The
deck powers up and all lights and counter work, but upon getting it home,
I've noticed the pinch roller on this deck is what can be best described as
melted. It has left a black sticky residue on my fingers and is presumably
worn out.

I'm assuming that that's all that's wrong with this deck - without a tape
loaded, the reel tables spin freely when the tension arms are lifted and
play is pressed, the counter rolls and it seems fine. Put a tape on (10 inch
reel), and it won't move when play is pressed. The pinch roller is actually
sticking to the tape - is this why the tape won't move? Presumably the
guides also have this residue and as it's quite sticky it may be the reason
the deck isn't moving the tape.

Is a part like a pinch roller easy to get for Tascam machines anymore? I had
it mentioned to me I could possibly cannibalise the pinch roller from
something like a Teac, say an A-3440 or X7-R/X10. Is this right?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090210-0, 10/02/2009
Tested on: 11/02/2009 8:11:46 PM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Max wrote:

I've noticed the pinch roller on this deck is what can be best described as
melted. It has left a black sticky residue on my fingers and is presumably
worn out.

That happens. You need a new one.

I'm assuming that that's all that's wrong with this deck

You can't assume that, but you need to get a new pinch roller and do a
thorough
cleaning before you can assess what else, if anything, is wrong.

the reel tables spin freely when the tension arms are lifted and
play is pressed, the counter rolls and it seems fine. Put a tape on (10 inch
reel), and it won't move when play is pressed. The pinch roller is actually
sticking to the tape - is this why the tape won't move?

The pinch roller should be clear of the tape when it's winding. Either
you've
threaded it wrong or there's something sticking that's keeping the pinch
roller
from moving away from the tape.

Presumably the
guides also have this residue and as it's quite sticky it may be the reason
the deck isn't moving the tape.

It could be, or it could be residue from a sticky tape. Welcome to Tape Deck
Maintenance School.

Is a part like a pinch roller easy to get for Tascam machines anymore?

You can almost certainly get one from TASCAM. Or check out getting yours
refurbished at http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/index.shtml

I could possibly cannibalise the pinch roller from
something like a Teac, say an A-3440 or X7-R/X10. Is this right?

They may not all be the same (or they may be). But an old pinch roller
is an old pinch roller. An old replacement may fit, and it may not be
"melted"
but it might be hardened or cracked or out-of-round. Get a new one.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Max wrote:

The other day I came into a Tascam 32 quarter-inch open reel tape deck. The
deck powers up and all lights and counter work, but upon getting it home,
I've noticed the pinch roller on this deck is what can be best described as
melted. It has left a black sticky residue on my fingers and is presumably
worn out.

Yes, pinch rollers are disposable items. You need to replace them about
every five years in most cases.

I'm assuming that that's all that's wrong with this deck - without a tape
loaded, the reel tables spin freely when the tension arms are lifted and
play is pressed, the counter rolls and it seems fine. Put a tape on (10 inch
reel), and it won't move when play is pressed. The pinch roller is actually
sticking to the tape - is this why the tape won't move? Presumably the
guides also have this residue and as it's quite sticky it may be the reason
the deck isn't moving the tape.

I don't know, but the machine is probably in need of general cleaning and
lubrication as well as a new pinch roller. Not to mention it has probably
been a long time since the daily alignment was done.

Is a part like a pinch roller easy to get for Tascam machines anymore? I had
it mentioned to me I could possibly cannibalise the pinch roller from
something like a Teac, say an A-3440 or X7-R/X10. Is this right?

Yes, but if you find one of those machines, the pinch rollers on them will
be bad too.

If Tascam doesn't have pinch rollers in stock for the 32, and I am pretty
sure they will have them in stock, you can have the old one rebuilt for
a reasonable price.

The Ampex Parts Source list from the Ampex User's Group lists several
rubber recappers: http://recordist.com/ampex/docs/parts/ampexpts.html
and I can personally recommend Star Packaging.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Feb 11, 4:11*am, "Max" wrote:

I'm assuming that that's all that's wrong with this deck - without a tape
loaded, the reel tables spin freely when the tension arms are lifted and
play is pressed, the counter rolls and it seems fine. Put a tape on (10 inch
reel), and it won't move when play is pressed. The pinch roller is actually
sticking to the tape - is this why the tape won't move? Presumably the
guides also have this residue and as it's quite sticky it may be the reason
the deck isn't moving the tape.

Is the capstan turning ?

rd

Tascam DV-RA1000 question Paul Stamler Pro Audio 3 August 15th 07 01:44 PM
Tascam MS-16 question [email protected] Pro Audio 5 August 7th 07 03:03 PM
My Tascam 38 question JM Pro Audio 0 March 13th 06 05:05 PM
Tascam US-122 Setup Question Killy Pro Audio 4 July 20th 04 11:49 PM
Tascam MS-16 and ES-50 cable question. Byron G Jacquot Pro Audio 1 November 14th 03 07:14 AM