Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hueyduck[_2_] Hueyduck[_2_] is offline

Default How to optimise direct-from-disk reading in a music DAW?

context: recent PC with SATA and e-SATA/ win XPpro 32bits/ Cubase SX &
Cubase 5/ Kontakt 1 & Kontakt 3 using dfd

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking to gather informations upon what will be my next
soring system for audio samples.

Until today, I simply uses 2 "base" HDD in 2 racks.

My first question is: do you know of an internet place where people
discuss this matter (eg the streaming of samples, quality of drives,
etc...).
I'll be reading NI Kontakt user forum later today.

There are so many options available, that it's a bit confusing.
For instance, I wondered if using dynamic drives was a good thing.
With winXP and NTFS, one is able to see several "dynamic" drives as if
it was a single drive.

What did you decide to do with your latest streaming drive?
To be precise, when I talk about streaming, I mean small but many many
samples (instrument libraries).
In my "dream system", I would have a big box linked via e-sata to my PC.
In the big box, I would put several HDD, formatted to be "dynamic
drives". Multiplying the number of drives allow the access time to be
reduced. Dynamic drives woud allow me to rorganise the number and
quality of drives without loosing the different paths my projects use
(since all the samples are still in the same virtual drive composed by
several physical drives).
Such boxes do exist:http://www.sonnettech.fr/product/fusiond500p.html

Anyway, I'd be glad to read about you way of doing things as far as
storing and accessing libraries goes.

Thanks for reading.

Huey