Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] woodenflutes@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Help identifying a mystery tweeter, please?

Blew a tweeter in a pair of TEAC "Sierra Series" ST-X3 speakers I was
using as home studio monitors. They were manufactured around 1988.

"Using stereo speakers as monitors" you say "That's a no-no!" I've
heard that a lot of times. But I really "understand" these speakers
and I can produce a good mix on them. While they are probably not
serious audiophile quality, I found to be charming with a wonderful,
natural sound.

I'd really like to replace the tweeter, but both TEAC Canada and TEAC
USA almost deny ever making this speaker (service departments of both
have no record of this product even existing). I can't even get SPECS
on the speaker itself from any source! Exhaustive internet searches
only turns up a handful of references with no real information.

The tweeter is a 1" dome. The only markings on it a

69770
482TND

I initially thought it was a metal dome tweeter, but upon
disassembling it, I realized it is actually a cloth (silk?) tweeter
with a metallic coating on the front surface.

Here are some pictures (the sticky labels on the tweeter are mine, for
reference).

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVXMsQi
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVXMWM0
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq10W7FS

The only clue I have is a patent I found for the big sister of this
speaker (the ST-X5) which mentions that the woofer and tweeter MIGHT
have been supplied by Peerless.

If anyone can help, or even point me to a forum or resource that can
help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

The tweeter is a 1" dome. The only markings on it a

69770
482TND

The only clue I have is a patent I found for the big sister of this
speaker (the ST-X5) which mentions that the woofer and tweeter MIGHT
have been supplied by Peerless.

The Peerless product range still exists. See:

http://www.tymphany.com/categories/peerless

If anyone can help, or even point me to a forum or resource that can
help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen