Johan Wagener

Default sony subwoofers overrated?

I don't believe that for the price the sony subwoofer can really handle
500Wrms. Anyone have experience with these woofers? All the sony subs seem
to be so cheap and still they claim "extreme performance"

Supernoma

Remove a zero.

2002 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 SLS Step-Side Extended Cab - 4.3L Vortec / 4L60E

Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.
-Woody Allen
"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
I don't believe that for the price the sony subwoofer can really handle
500Wrms. Anyone have experience with these woofers? All the sony subs seem
to be so cheap and still they claim "extreme performance"

Paul Vina

Why don't you believe it? Have you tried it? I have, in numerous cars and
they'll take a solid 500 watts all day long. Now if you start clipping the
**** out of a 500 watt amp (which happens a lot) then you run into trouble
and is probably where the misconception about how much power they'll handle
comes from. I used to demo them all the time off a Kicker ZR1000 with no
problems.

Paul Vina

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
I don't believe that for the price the sony subwoofer can really handle
500Wrms. Anyone have experience with these woofers? All the sony subs seem
to be so cheap and still they claim "extreme performance"

fhlh002

Taking what Paul has stated.... I don't care if it's a Jello Audio, Sony,
ID, DD or Treo Sub.... You send a distorted "clipped" signal to any sub,
speaker for a decent amount of time, you'll fry said sub or speaker,.....
Then, If you're a dumbass (see Supernoma's post) you'll start making
claims on RAC that the speaker is a POS, when in reality, you didn't set up
your system correctly cause your some kinda dumbass (see Supernoma's post)
that would believe a sony sub couldn't handle 500watts....

FHLH.... pointing out stupidity, one post at a time.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Why don't you believe it? Have you tried it? I have, in numerous cars and
they'll take a solid 500 watts all day long. Now if you start clipping

the
**** out of a 500 watt amp (which happens a lot) then you run into trouble
and is probably where the misconception about how much power they'll

handle
comes from. I used to demo them all the time off a Kicker ZR1000 with no
problems.

Paul Vina

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
I don't believe that for the price the sony subwoofer can really handle
500Wrms. Anyone have experience with these woofers? All the sony subs

seem
to be so cheap and still they claim "extreme performance"

eidsvikDM

Although they are next in line to be upgraded I have been verry happy
with my 900w L1236. I bought them before I ever stepped foot into any
forum. They are in a fiberglass box that I built with 1 cube each
sealed and about 50% polyfill. I run them off a lanzar 1000w
amplifier @2ohms. The rest of my system has been built for SQ since I
started reading and learning but I metered 140.2 and 142 at 2
different times with these! I drive alot for my job and I pound them
pretty hard for about 3 hours a day for 1.5 years now. Still in great
shape.
Johan Wagener

How good is the quality bass that the sony pentagonal extreme performance
sub produce (compared to subs like ample, pioneer, earthquake, ect.) I am
not looking for SPL. I can't hear the subs before I buy them

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Why don't you believe it? Have you tried it? I have, in numerous cars and
they'll take a solid 500 watts all day long. Now if you start clipping

the
**** out of a 500 watt amp (which happens a lot) then you run into trouble
and is probably where the misconception about how much power they'll

handle
comes from. I used to demo them all the time off a Kicker ZR1000 with no
problems.

Paul Vina

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
I don't believe that for the price the sony subwoofer can really handle
500Wrms. Anyone have experience with these woofers? All the sony subs

seem
to be so cheap and still they claim "extreme performance"

Mark Zarella

Taking what Paul has stated.... I don't care if it's a Jello Audio, Sony,
ID, DD or Treo Sub.... You send a distorted "clipped" signal to any sub,
speaker for a decent amount of time, you'll fry said sub or speaker,.....

No you won't. I've driven a JL 12w3, polk dB6510, mb quart 5" driver, and a
couple others with a SEVERELY clipped signal and they're still alive to tell
about it.

There is only one way to "blow" a speaker: delivering more power to it than
it can handle.

Pug Fugley

"fhlh002" wrote in message
Taking what Paul has stated.... I don't care if it's a Jello Audio, Sony,
ID, DD or Treo Sub.... You send a distorted "clipped" signal to any sub,
speaker for a decent amount of time, you'll fry said sub or speaker,.....
Then, If you're a dumbass (see Supernoma's post) you'll start making
claims on RAC that the speaker is a POS, when in reality, you didn't set

up
your system correctly cause your some kinda dumbass (see Supernoma's

post)
that would believe a sony sub couldn't handle 500watts....

Yep. I agree 100%. I've fried speakers with clipped signals on purpose just
to prove that it can be done. Some idiot tried to tell me it was impossible
to blow a speaker with a clipped, overdriven amp. I asked him why he is
arguing every speaker and amp manufacturer out there and dared him to let me
try to blow his subs since it was 'impossible' according to him. Needless to
say after being shown the facts he backed away.

Mark Zarella

Yep. I agree 100%. I've fried speakers with clipped signals on purpose
just
to prove that it can be done.

How do you know you weren't doing it with too much power?

Some idiot tried to tell me it was impossible
to blow a speaker with a clipped, overdriven amp. I asked him why he is
arguing every speaker and amp manufacturer out there

Why are you arguing against a reputable company like Rane?

Soundfreak03

Yep. I agree 100%. I've fried speakers with clipped signals on purpose just
to prove that it can be done. Some idiot tried to tell me it was impossible
to blow a speaker with a clipped, overdriven amp. I asked him why he is
arguing every speaker and amp manufacturer out there and dared him to let me
try to blow his subs since it was 'impossible' according to him. Needless to
say after being shown the facts he backed away.

What facts are you claiming????? A clipped overdriven amp will blow a speaker
IF and ONLY IF it exceeds the true power handling capabilities of the speaker.
We have been though this before Pugsly, do we have to get into it again?
The clipping and overdriving itself does not inheretly blow a speaker, but the
extra power generated by it can potentially damage the driver. Since you
reading skills are lacking let me clarify it, it might be able to but IF AND
ONLY IF it exceeds the power handling of the driver.

Les
Sorry for saying the same thing twice guys but puggy is a complete idiot and
would not understand without added clarification.

Les
Pug Fugley

"Soundfreak03" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, don't complain to me. Go complain the amp and speaker companies. I
don't want to hear your trollish ramblings. Go on..shoo!

Soundfreak03

Hey, don't complain to me. Go complain the amp and speaker companies. I
don't want to hear your trollish ramblings. Go on..shoo!

Not complaining. Just stating a FACT!!!!
Check out Rane.com, there one of the leading manufactures in Pro audio, or
check out Meyersound.com, one of the leader speaker manufactures in the world.
They both say the same thing I do. Oh and so does every physics book. Do you
deny that what I said it true?

Les
fhlh002

Soft clipping

But, I've burnt more speakers underpowering them (clipping) than with too
much.... so I'm speaking from my experience.

FHLH....

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
Taking what Paul has stated.... I don't care if it's a Jello Audio,

Sony,
ID, DD or Treo Sub.... You send a distorted "clipped" signal to any sub,
speaker for a decent amount of time, you'll fry said sub or

speaker,.....

No you won't. I've driven a JL 12w3, polk dB6510, mb quart 5" driver, and

couple others with a SEVERELY clipped signal and they're still alive to

tell
about it.

There is only one way to "blow" a speaker: delivering more power to it

than
it can handle.

Paul Vina

What we're saying is that it's not the clipping that kills the speaker.
Hell, the speakers in my laptop only ever see a clipped signal and they
still work fine. It's not simply the fact that you clipped the amp that
does it. You have to be close enough to the power handling limit of the
driver already that the clipping pushed the power the speaker sees past it's
thermal (read: power handling) limits. Then, and only then, will you kill
that speaker. I'll bet you my car that if you took a 50 watt amp and
clipped the holy hell out of it into my IDMAX it would take it all day long.

Paul Vina

"fhlh002" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Zarella

Soft clipping

But, I've burnt more speakers underpowering them (clipping) than with too
much.... so I'm speaking from my experience.

I think you're mistaking power ratings with real world power output. It's
physically impossible to overheat a voice coil without providing enough
power to that voice coil to allow the temperature to rise to dangerous
levels. This is the law of energy conservation.

What I suspect happened is that you drove the amp into clipping so severely
that the power delivered by the amp to the speaker was too much for the
speaker to be able to handle. But if you were to deliver the same amount of
power to the speaker with any other kind of signal you want (pick one), the
same results would have occurred.

John Dziurlaj

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message ...
I don't believe that for the price the sony subwoofer can really handle
500Wrms. Anyone have experience with these woofers? All the sony subs seem
to be so cheap and still they claim "extreme performance"

they don't call 'em 'xplods' for nothing.
Mark Zarella

they don't call 'em 'xplods' for nothing.

Anyone in here remember the guy who came in a couple years ago talking about
how great the sub that lit up was? You know, the Sony one that had a light
bulb built into it.

TheBIessedDead

Anyone in here remember the guy who came in a couple years ago talking about
how great the sub that lit up was? You know, the Sony one that had a light
bulb built into it.

Haha I actually remember that guy Mark. Was quite a long thread if I recall.

Nick

Luke Hague

I still stand behind the thought that it isn't the sub that matters as much
as the install. I've heard Sony's sound great with a good install and last
forever, I've alos seen them sound like crap with ****ty install and die
quickly, same can be said for any sub though. For the price of those
polygonal Sony's I've seen they'd be very much worth purchasing as an
inexpensive first system, or perhaps one to get by with in the mean time.
If it weren't for my previous experience with Infinity and the deal I got on
2 10" references I may have got some Sony's.

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
I don't believe that for the price the sony subwoofer can really handle
500Wrms. Anyone have experience with these woofers? All the sony subs seem
to be so cheap and still they claim "extreme performance"

sl2perfect

everyone is right in a way. Overpowering a speaker will blow it and a
clipped/distorted power will will blow a speaker as well. My
understanding is that energy is heat and that when you heavily clip
and/or distort a signal the AMP can fry, right? so while an amp is
distorting/cliping it is creating extra heat, more heat than the amp
itself can handle but there non the less.

I am probably wrong but just thought i would throw it out there
--
sl2perfect
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...hreadid=172074

Mark Zarella

everyone is right in a way. Overpowering a speaker will blow it and a
clipped/distorted power will will blow a speaker as well. My
understanding is that energy is heat and that when you heavily clip
and/or distort a signal the AMP can fry, right? so while an amp is
distorting/cliping it is creating extra heat, more heat than the amp
itself can handle but there non the less.

I am probably wrong but just thought i would throw it out there

No, you're pretty much right. Some amps, however, can handle the extra heat
better than others.

Soundfreak03

everyone is right in a way. Overpowering a speaker will blow it and a
clipped/distorted power will will blow a speaker as well. My
understanding is that energy is heat and that when you heavily clip
and/or distort a signal the AMP can fry, right? so while an amp is
distorting/cliping it is creating extra heat, more heat than the amp
itself can handle but there non the less.

I am probably wrong but just thought i would throw it out there
--

Pretty much, but it is important to note that the clipping did not blow the
speaker, but because of the clipping more power was delivered than the speaker

Les