Wylie Williams

Default Requesting tube pin/socket cleaning advice

Because of crackilng noises that are temporarily solved by wiggling tubes in
their sockets I am preparing to clean the pins and sockets of the tubes on
an HK Citation amp. I have ordered the special brushes, so my questions
Which solvent to use to clean them?
Should I use a contact preservative. If so, which one?

I already have some Kontak and Caig Labs Red (and may be able to find some
Blue). I believe that these are all fine products for other contacts, but I
don't know if they are the ones to use on tube pins and sockets, so I am
asking for advice from those of you who have experience in this realm.

Wylie Williams

Jim McShane

Wylie Williams wrote...

Because of crackilng noises that are temporarily
solved by wiggling tubes in their sockets I am
preparing to clean the pins and sockets of the
tubes on an HK Citation amp. I have ordered
the special brushes, so my questions a

Which solvent to use to clean them?
Should I use a contact preservative. If so,
which one?

I already have some Kontak and Caig Labs Red
(and may be able to find some Blue). I believe that
these are all fine products for other contacts, but I
don't know if they are the ones to use on tube pins
and sockets, so I am asking for advice from those
of you who have experience in this realm.

I specialize in H-K Citation stuff, so I know what you
are trying to do. Here's my advice:

1. If the octal sockets don't grip the tube VERY firmly
then replace them and the screen and cathode resistors.
Loss of pin 5 contact will allow the tube to run away
and do damage to itself and the amp.

2. The nine pin sockets are usually fine, but if cleaning
doesn't resolve it, then replace the offending socket(s)

The sockets are 40+ years old, they are tired in many amps!

Caig DeOxit (red) is ideal for tube pins and sockets.
Don't use the blue, just the red.

Check my site for more info if you need it.

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Wylie Williams

Jim,

Thanks. Your response is all I need to know.

Wylie

"Jim McShane" wrote in message
. ..
Wylie Williams wrote...

[...]

Lord Valve

DeOxIt red will turn into varnish if applied to power
tube pins - it's a temporary fix at best. Use the
Caig ProGold - either the old X-formula (recently
discontinued) or the new "regular" formula, which
are rated (respectively) to 400 and 360 degrees C.
I have this juice in amps on major tours all over the
country. Kicks ass.

Lord Valve
Expert

VISIT MY WEBSITE: http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve
I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.
QSC amps, RNC compressors, lots of other good stuff!

Partial Client List: * Derek Trucks/Allman Brothers Band *
* Meatloaf * Catherine Wheel * Yo La Tengo * Let's Go Bowling *
* Fleetwood Mac * Tyrin Benoit * Eugene Fodor * Dale Bruning *
* Komet Amplification * Dr. Z * Maven Peal * Blockhead Amps *
* Jim Kelley * Balls Amplification * Roccaforte Amplifiers *
* Gerhart Amplification * Aiken Amplification * The Right Half of AGA *
* Lots More *

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

- Our 23rd Year -

VISA - MASTERCARD - PAYPAL

Philo T. Farnsworth sez, "Vacuum tubes kick major ass.
Be a MAN...and buy some TODAY!"

Jim McShane wrote:

Wylie Williams wrote...

[...]

Mr TUBEAMPS

great amps
i have a 2 peace type
i have a citation V output and a citation 1 preamp.

"Lord Valve" wrote in message
[...]

Wylie Williams wrote...