W. Forsk

Default - Audio card recommendations for home recording?

I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Is there a new standard for that price range? Or should I go with an echo
again?

I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

Your recommendations are welcome (no $1,000 cards please... let's stick to
the Echo price range, which is as high as I can go).

Many thanks!

Philipp Wachtel

I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

Do you believe all advertisement lies you are told??? Creative is CRAP for
audio production!!! That will probably never change. Creative makes cards
for consumers and game freaks - for that, these cards are just fine. But for
audioproduction - forget it! Yes, creative has even written some crappy ASIO
drivers but there are way better audio cards for the same price.

If you already own a "Gina", you won´t step back on such junk as a Creative
card, will you?! Get something serious...

BTW: The prices for M-Audio/Midiman stuff have been reduced lately, maybe
they have something for your needs?

Sorry, I can´t suggest you a card, but I just wanted to warn you about
Creative´s products!

Phil

Ricky W. Hunt

"Philipp Wachtel" wrote in message
I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

Do you believe all advertisement lies you are told??? Creative is CRAP for
audio production!!! That will probably never change. Creative makes cards
for consumers and game freaks - for that, these cards are just fine. But
for
audioproduction - forget it! Yes, creative has even written some crappy
ASIO
drivers but there are way better audio cards for the same price.

I think "for the same price" are the key words. Some of the new Creative
stuff isn't "bad" if set up right (and the soundfont capability is nice
zero-resources plus) but for what their top of the line cards to for you can
get a true "pro" card for that (sometimes less).

Vladan

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:55:46 -0400, "W. Forsk"
wrote:

I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Take a look at Terratec range.

Laurence Payne

wrote:

I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Is there a new standard for that price range? Or should I go with an echo
again?

I'd stick to the Gina, unless you want more ins/outs. The M-Audio
equivalent is currently selling for a very attractive price. But it
won't sound any different to your Gina.

I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

No.

Your recommendations are welcome (no $1,000 cards please... let's stick to
the Echo price range, which is as high as I can go).

Many thanks!

blacktick

wrote:

I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what

seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Is there a new standard for that price range? Or should I go with an echo
again?

I'd stick to the Gina, unless you want more ins/outs. The M-Audio
equivalent is currently selling for a very attractive price. But it
won't sound any different to your Gina.

I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

No.

Your recommendations are welcome (no $1,000 cards please... let's stick

the Echo price range, which is as high as I can go).

Many thanks!

Please note that it's impossible to contact m-audio for support right now.
their form page is down and they don't list a number--as far as I can tell.

I'm starting to get into the m-audio sucks camp--after about a year being a
very happy user.

blacktick

wrote:

[...]

Sorry--after posting this i checked the website once more and found a toll
number to call. disregard my humpday rage.

Kurt Albershardt

W. Forsk wrote:
I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Is there a new standard for that price range? Or should I go with an echo
again?

How many channels?

I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

Creative owns Emu, and I understand the Emu cards are okay. Stay away form the Creative-branded stuff for pro work.

Your recommendations are welcome (no $1,000 cards please... let's stick to
the Echo price range, which is as high as I can go).

Lynx Two is (barely) under $1k and you can't do a whole lot better in terms of audio quality http://lynxstudio.com/lynxtwo.html

RME HDSP9632 is another one to check out http://rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm Under $600 with two analog I/Os, can be expanded with more as needed.

Those are the two brands I would pick above all others for pro work.

Deaf Mellon MESA

"W. Forsk" wrote in message ...
I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Is there a new standard for that price range? Or should I go with an echo
again?

I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

Your recommendations are welcome (no $1,000 cards please... let's stick to
the Echo price range, which is as high as I can go).

Many thanks!

I just sold a Gina24 and replaced it with a Lynx L22. The Lynx sounds
so much better than the Gina24. However, I've owned two Echo cards
and they are rock solid. Lynx doesn't have a production WDM driver
either, so I'm using the ASIO driver in Sonar 3. I bought my Lynx L22
at GC for $655.00. Once I got it working, I had one of those "I
should have done this years ago" moments. :)

DaveT

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:49:04 -0400, "blacktick"
wrote:

Please note that it's impossible to contact m-audio for support right now.
their form page is down and they don't list a number--as far as I can tell.

I'm starting to get into the m-audio sucks camp--after about a year being a
very happy user.

They've just been bought. Doubtless "corporate identity" is top of
the priority list for the new owners. It will settle down.

Martin Quinn

Unless you need different I/O (more ins/outs, ADAT in/out etc) theres little
reason to change the Gina 20. It sounds just fine! Go buy yourself a LOAD of
booze with the cash instead!

Martin

"W. Forsk" wrote in message
I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what

seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Is there a new standard for that price range? Or should I go with an echo
again?

I was told the top-line Creative cards have caught up to the point of
becoming an actual player in this field. This true?

Your recommendations are welcome (no $1,000 cards please... let's stick to
the Echo price range, which is as high as I can go).

Many thanks!

Kalle L.

Hi there,

I've been using an Echo Gina20 for my Sonar recordings for, well, what seems
like forever... I will soon be upgrading the ol' computer and wanted to
upgrade cards as well.

Is there a new standard for that price range? Or should I go with an echo
again?

You could do both. If you are looking to upgrade your card just for
the sake of it, you might want to check out the brand new Gina 3G from
Echo. It's a 24bit card with better converters than your Gina20, and
it's very reasonably priced with street price at around $300-350 new.
It also has two preamps in it.

From my experiences with Layla20 and what I've heard about Echo from
other users as well, you should be happy with their cards, especially
this one.

Kalle

Peter Larsen

Mike Rivers wrote:

.... The same
amount of money spent elsewhere could be more noticeable, and
therefore more effective.

Indeed, Mike, indeed ...

I'm really Mike Rivers )

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

james of tucson

Get an M-Audio card and be happy. The Delta A/P 2496 was made in heaven
by angels.
james of tucson

On 2004-09-22, Laurence Payne wrote:

They've just been bought.

Uh-oh. So much for the only serious choice. I hope they don't go
either way -- more consumer-y or total pro$$$. The price point on the
Delta 1010 is perfect, and the hardware itself is the cat's meow.