Tails872

Default Sables/Tauri vs. cd cassette adapters

I have a '96 Mercury Sable (oval dash) with a cassette-only radio. I bought a
car kit adapter for a portable cd player for it and it does not work. The car
plays the tape for like two seconds, switches sides on it, plays it for another
two seconds and then spits it out and reads E1 (thinks it ate the film). I
tried this adapter in my mom's '97 Taurus (which is basically the same thing,
only that one has cd changer buttons) and it didn't work there either. Is it
just a crappy adapter, or do these cars completely not work with portable cd
players? If the former is the case, can someone recommend an adapter that they
know will work? Thanks.

Monique