Johan Wagener

Default 10" vs 12"

What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has the same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs 15"

Paul Vina

It would be louder at low frequencies. Period. The same for the 12 vs. the
15.

Paul Vina

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has the same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs 15"

Mark Zarella

Johan Wagener wrote:
What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has the same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs 15"

It is impossible to predict the difference between two subs if we only
know the size and power rating. Care to reveal which two mystery subs
these are?

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Johan Wagener" wrote:

What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has the same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs 15"

If all else is equal, the 12" sub can move more air than the 10". That
allows it to produce lower frequencies efficiently.

All else is rarely equal so you have to read the specs and try them out.
Johan Wagener

so in general. bigger is better - if you have the space for it

Daniel Snooks

Johan Wagener wrote
so in general. bigger is better - if you have the space for it

?!? How did you get to that conclusion ?!?

Unless you are suggesting that louder at low frequencies is considered
better ... the trouble is that you can go back and forth all day long until
you finally run out of space :

1 12" better then 1 10"
1 15" better then 1 12"
2 10" better then 1 15"
2 12" better then 2 10" ... and so on

The most important thing to note from all this:

Paul never suggested that the 12" or 15" would produce better sound quality
then the 10" ... only that they would be louder at low frequencies.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

sanitarium

Bigger nis not always louder or deeper.
It depends on the TS params, Xmax and wattage capacity.

There are many 10" subs out there with low Fs, small Vas and large Xmax
stroke, that will play louder and deeper than many 12s and even some 15s.

You cant evaluate subs based on the size and wattage spec alone.

Garrett

Johan Wagener wrote:
What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has the same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs 15"

Jp

I am not too sure, but I beleive that the bigger the sub, the lower bass
frequencies it can play.....I would just stick with the 12" that has always
been my preferance, unless space is an issue.
"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has the same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs 15"

Tha Ghee

like san. said before it depends on the sub and the box. I've heard an
Exact 10, that could play with all 12's and some 15s, and I've seen 15's
that are mostly mid-bass

"Jp" wrote in message
I am not too sure, but I beleive that the bigger the sub, the lower bass
frequencies it can play.....I would just stick with the 12" that has

always
been my preferance, unless space is an issue.
"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has the

same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs 15"

Tha Ghee

"Jp" wrote in message
I am not too sure, but I beleive that the bigger the sub, the lower

bass
frequencies it can play.....I would just stick with the 12" that has

always
been my preferance, unless space is an issue.
"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
What would the difference be between a 10" and a 12" sub that has

the
same
RMS rating? would the 12" produce better sound quality? also 12" vs

15"

that is very true I sold mine to some kid up on UCs campus and I think he
still has it. I'm trying to hold out and see if the 15 IDMAX comes out if
not, 4 12s here I come.