ElementXero

Default Will I draw too many amps for my alternator to keep up?

Hey all, running JBL 80.4 for speakers right now, so 320W total

Installing JBL 600.1 on a Kicker 12" L5 in a ~2.0^3 sealed box when the
amp comes on monday.

So thats a 920w rms system in my 1987 Buick Century.

Whattaya think? Dimming lights? Cutting out? Will I be totally fine?
--
ElementXero
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=151448

R-P

ElementXero wrote:
*Hey all, running JBL 80.4 for speakers right now, so 320W total

Installing JBL 600.1 on a Kicker 12" L5 in a ~2.0^3 sealed box when
the amp comes on monday.

So thats a 920w rms system in my 1987 Buick Century.

Whattaya think? Dimming lights? Cutting out? Will I be totally
fine? *

If you keep your battery in shape and don't play testtones, you'll be
fine.

R-P
--
R-P
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=151448

ElementXero

what car do you drive?

Installing JBL 600.1 on a Kicker 12" L5 in a ~2.0^3 sealed box when
the amp comes on monday. Installing JBL 600.1 on a Kicker 12" L5 in a
~2.0^3 sealed box when the amp comes on monday.

So thats a 920w rms system in my 1987 BUICK CENTURY.

Whattaya think? Dimming lights? Cutting out? Will I be totally fine?.

--
ElementXero
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=151448

The Lizard

sl2perfect wrote:
what car do you drive? You should only be pulling around 80 amps with
the 2

You're probably wrong. Nothing should pull 80 amps in a car.

Quote, dumb****.

| Lizard | thelizman1221.yahoo@com |
| teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member |
| The TeamROCS Forum http://www.teamrocs.net/forum/ |
| |
| The Hoam Paige http://www.geocities.com/thelizman1221/ |

sl2perfect

forget quoting, i a not here for you. If noting should pull over 80
amps, why are the ho altenators
--
sl2perfect
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=151448

The Lizard

sl2perfect wrote:
forget quoting, i a not here for you.

Look ****stick, either you start adhering to usenet protocol, I will
contact caraudioforums and have your account ganked for abuse. Did you
even bother reading the EULA?

If noting should pull over 80
amps, why are the ho altenators

Because dip****, the total number of devices on a car may at times pull
up to 80 amps (highly unlikely though). A single device...no.

| Lizard | thelizman1221.yahoo@com |
| teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member |
| The TeamROCS Forum http://www.teamrocs.net/forum/ |
| |
| The Hoam Paige http://www.geocities.com/thelizman1221/ |

MEAPPLEJAK

whoa whoa whoa lets all calm down here
sl2perfect

The Lizard wrote:
----0-----=-=------Because dip****, the total number of devices on a
car may at times pull up to 80 amps (highly unlikely though). A single
device...no.

| Lizard | thelizman1221.yahoo@com |
| teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member |
| The TeamROCS Forum http://www.team
;Lizard isafagwholikestoget****ed in the assrocs.net/forum/ |
| |

[/b]

Really? Why do some amps have more than 2 40 amp fuses then? ****
Brick
--
sl2perfect
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=151448

The Lizard

Mike Sims wrote:

Hmmm ... I thought all usenet groups were completely public and un
moderated ... much like CB Radio ... End User License Agreement? Perhaps
you are referring the software you use to access this list, and not the
list itself?

The individual to whom those comments were addressed isn't using a
newsreader to access usenet, he's using an online BBS called
caraudioforums.com. Regardless of the nature of usenet, getting to
usenet requires an ISP, and abusive behaviors violate just about every
ISP's AUP.

I'm no expert, but the sum total of amperage usage in an automobile
(spark plugs, fuel pump, AC unit, gauges, lights, signals, blower motor,
battery charging, ECM etc.) could average 80 amps ... especially when
someone has multiple amplifiers in their car, and the music is cranked
up.

But I'm sure this is what you meant to say here if I read it correctly.

Not at all. The AC unit doesn't use current - it's driven off the engine
(just an amp or so to engage the clutch, and an amp to drive the
blower). Signals, lights....at any given time they'll need about 20 amps
at most. Same with audio equipment - they use very little power for
average music. An occasional thump will spike the electrical system, but
the battery handles those. It's very rare that non-competition vehicles
need a HO alternator. If you're running a winch, or lots of high power
commo gear, then you'll need to consider one.

| Lizard | thelizman1221.yahoo@com |
| teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member |
| The TeamROCS Forum http://www.teamrocs.net/forum/ |
| |
| The Hoam Paige http://www.geocities.com/thelizman1221/ |

Daniel Snooks

ElementXero wrote
Hey all, running JBL 80.4 for speakers right now, so 320W total

Installing JBL 600.1 on a Kicker 12" L5 in a ~2.0^3 sealed box when the
amp comes on monday.

So thats a 920w rms system in my 1987 Buick Century.

Whattaya think? Dimming lights? Cutting out? Will I be totally fine?

Heh ... seems like a simple question and then everyone starts name-calling
and so on ...
The short anwer is that you will probably be fine, however you won't know
until you are cruising down the highway at night, in the rain, and your
favorite song comes on.
I put three alternators in my '94 Sunbird (all under warranty) before
finally deciding to use a HO (Crappy Tire Premium) alt instead. That was 5
years ago now and it's still working fine (and only a Zapco AG200 ~15 amps
caused that aggravation)

ElementXero

Actually the other day I noticed that in the rain, on the highway (this
is the part that doesn't make sense?), with the bass up my headlights
dim slightly on hard notes.

Not enough to make me care, but enough to make me wonder why it happens
when the alt should theoretically be at its strongest (when the car is
going fast)
--
ElementXero
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=151448

Daniel Snooks

ElementXero wrote
Actually the other day I noticed that in the rain, on the highway (this
is the part that doesn't make sense?), with the bass up my headlights
dim slightly on hard notes.

I mentioned those conditions on purpose With the windshield wipers and
the headlights running, you are pretty much drawing max power from the
alternator (as far as running the vehicle is concerned).

Not enough to make me care, but enough to make me wonder why it happens
when the alt should theoretically be at its strongest (when the car is
going fast)

Wrong. You misunderstand ... the voltage regulator maintains a constant
voltage no matter how fast the car is going (or to be more correct, how fast
the Engine is going). The faster the engine is revving, the faster the
alternator is spinning. This would produce a higher voltage except the
regulator maintains ~14.4v
Now here is the important part ... the reason your headlights are dimming is
because the power demand during transients (Bass up) that the amp creates is
too much for the elecrtical system to produce. The battery steps in at this
point to keep things afloat, however this means the voltage has dropped to
~12.6v (the battery is now supplying power instead of charging) which is why
the headlights have dimmed. To demonstrate this point, observe how bright
your headlights are when the car is NOT running (they are running off the
battery at this point). Then start the car and rev the engine up to at least
1500RPM (sometimes the alternator is not producing a full 14.4v at idle).
Notice that the headlights are now a bit brighter (they are running off the
alternator at this point)

To make a long point even longer ... using a HO alternator will give you a
higher ceiling as far as producing power, which should keep the lights from
dimming during heavy bass rifts (no need for the battery to help). It is
possible, though, that the electrical system cannot react quickly enough
during these transients, which means the solution would be a capacitor.
If any of this doesn't make sense, or seems to be in error, feel free to ask
and/or comment.

Daniel Snooks

Mike Sims wrote
I have been unable to locate a HO alternator for my 95 Sentra. I have
to keep charging my battery every night to use my car during the day.

Where are you from (just out of curiousity)

Sitting here at the keyboard, I would suggest first doing a simple test of
the alternator. Start the car, and once it is running remove a lead from the
battery (either + or -) If the car stops running the alternator is toast. If
the car continues to run, the battery may be toast, or the charging circuit
is no longer functioning. Even if you end up having to replace the
alternator, you don't necessarily need to get a HO, the alt may just be dead
from old age, nothing lasts forever.

Soundfreak03

Sitting here at the keyboard, I would suggest first doing a simple test of
the alternator. Start the car, and once it is running remove a lead from the
battery (either + or -) If the car stops running the alternator is toast.

In the older days of carb motors and No computers this was something you could
do (along with making flames come out the exhaust
BUT in todays fuel injected computer controlled cars this is NOT a wise
practice and could cause damage to several of the systems. Including the
expensive to fix ones.

Les
Daniel Snooks

Soundfreak03 wrote
Sitting here at the keyboard, I would suggest first doing a simple test

of
the alternator. Start the car, and once it is running remove a lead from

the
battery (either + or -) If the car stops running the alternator is toast.

In the older days of carb motors and No computers this was something you

could
do (along with making flames come out the exhaust
BUT in todays fuel injected computer controlled cars this is NOT a wise
practice and could cause damage to several of the systems. Including the
expensive to fix ones.

Les

I am always looking for more knowledge. What would cause damage to the
systems? Also are you suggesting that making flames come out the exhaust
could create the same issues? (not that I would, I just don't see how)

Soundfreak03

am always looking for more knowledge. What would cause damage to the
systems?

I couldnt answer better than Kevin already has so read his post.

Also are you suggesting that making flames come out the exhaust
could create the same issues? (not that I would, I just don't see how)

Now I guess only I would get the whole flame exhaust thing.
Ok here is how you can do it On Carb motors without computer crap.
Take a spark plug and wire it into the exhaust, after the muffler. Put it on a
pushbutton so when you hit the button it sparks.
Turn the engine off and flood the motor a little.
Then start the engine back up at the same time pressing the gas and igniting
the spark plug and Voila flames out the exhaust.

Now this could cause ALL kinds of bad things to happen and we can all see that
so I really wouldnt recommend trying it. My grandpa said it was popular to do
during his day. But I have only seen it done once.

Les
Daniel Snooks

Kevin McMurtrie wrote
The alternator output is only regulated over a long period of time, say
1/2 second or longer. Its regulation comes from varying the field coil
strength, and that takes some time to change in response to loads. The
battery is required to keep the voltage smooth. The alternator voltage
will jump all over the place without it and the car's electronics will
be destroyed. I don't think even 10F of capacitors could hold the
voltage steady without a battery.

Thanks for the information. I have a small amount of electronics training,
so I understand how the voltage regulation works, I just didn't realize it
was so slow.

regards,
Dan Snooks