dave weil

Default ****sky's Europa Speakers -- Well-designed by Madisound!

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:03:24 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Weil, you would probably pee your pants if I gave a brief rundown of the
kinds of in some sense legitimate but heavy-duty businesses Grosse Pointers
run out of their homes. According to D&B there are over 1,000 businesses in
my zip code. If you think they're all one-man home offices, you're showing
your naiveté.

According to you, no such thing as a "Grosse Pointer". Maybe you
didn't want to say "Wooder" for some reason.
Arny Krueger

"dave weil" wrote in message

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:03:24 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

First of all, I doubt you could get away with it from a
landlord's standpoint.

Why?

If *I* were your neighbor and I heard electric drills and electric
saws being operated out of your apartment, I might not be enthused.

You might not even know.

It's like *regular* household equipment like vacuum cleaners and blenders
are so quiet... Then compare the noise levels generated by drills, some
sanders, and power screw drivers. The only thing that takes a little
thinking is cutting wood at night.

The noisy parts of making speaker cabs aren't the ones that take all the
time. You can generally be sure that few neighbors are home in most
apartment buildings during the day, anyway.

If you're talking about a one off project, sure, you can do that in
your kitchen.

Trying to stay relevant, we *were* talking about reasonable sales
projections for singh's speakers.

That's not exactly what we're talking about though, right?

Weil, I'm thinking of you trying to use power tools, and I'm seeing you in a
vehicle headed for an emergency room. Why are you even trying to address a
topic so foreign to your personal experience? Why don't you list the
contents of your home shop, given that I've been open and above-board enough
to list mine.

Arny Krueger

"dave weil" wrote in message

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:03:24 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Any *real* woodworker worth his or her salt would laugh at the
suggestion that someone put a shop in a spare bedroom.

Tell us about YOUR woodworking shop, Weil. Tell us about the
woodworking projects YOU'VE done.

Tell us about *your* woodworking shop first.

Sorry, I'm not playing your little games today, Weil. Put up or shut up!

Besides lots of people on this group are now laughing their butts off at you
Weil, if they follow my recent posts at all.

Joseph Oberlander

George M. Middius wrote:

dave weil said:

So you'd spend $20K minimum for an addition, plus the cost of the

tools, to support a speaker-making hobby?

$20K? Where diod you pull that number from?

When did you last price the woodworking materials needed to build
speaker cabinets?

Did you and Army both miss the phrase "for an addition"?

In many cases the requirement for an addition is yet another figment of the
Middius imagination.

Unless one is lucky, generally one will have to build an addition to
create a full-service woodworking shop. It's not like converting a
spare bedroom or something.

Don't forget about Krooger's legendary inability to understand
written English. Originally, Obie said this:

... I'd add a woodshop to my house and do it myself.

If Krooger had a brain, he would know that "add" and "addition" are
closely related. At least in the ways human beings use the words.

I came close, but I didn't speficy what shape it would take. That's
up to the person's needs and taste.

My grandfather - he did all of his own work, from cutting down the
trees and pulling stumps(he liked walnut) to the finished products
in his 2-car garage. Now, the rafters and sides and back were all
carefully laid out storage and his smaller machines had to be moved
in and out a bit to make room, but he made nine grandfather clocks
by hand this way. Stunning quality, btw - as good as anything I've
seen at any price. He also made all sorts of things from quilt/blanket
holders to desk clocks and bookends.

All out of his garage. One clock for each of his children and one
for himself.

So, yes, it is possible. That he did the planeing and hard sawing
and such from the trees themselves is insane - most people skip
that step. Given the quality of pre-finished lumber and MDF and
veneer these days, 1/3 of his machines would be unnecessarry to
make something as simple as a speaker cabinet. You don't need
huge bandsaws, a lathe, and a planer to make speakers, afterall.

Lionel

dave weil wrote:

If you're talking about a one off project, sure, you can do that in
your kitchen.

Like Gregory Singh ?

dave weil

wrote:

Any *real* woodworker worth his or her salt would laugh at the
suggestion that someone put a shop in a spare bedroom.

Tell us about YOUR woodworking shop, Weil. Tell us about the
woodworking projects YOU'VE done.

Tell us about *your* woodworking shop first.

Sorry, I'm not playing your little games today, Weil. Put up or shut up!

Sorry. Failure to answer the question fully noted.

You didn't put up, so now you need to shut up.

Besides lots of people on this group are now laughing their butts off at you
Weil, if they follow my recent posts at all.

Prove it.

BTW, I note you *still* haven't figured out what was lacking in your
"bill".
George M. Middius

Obie tries to shield the Kroo from another round of humiliation.

Don't forget about Krooger's legendary inability to understand
written English. Originally, Obie said this:

... I'd add a woodshop to my house and do it myself.

If Krooger had a brain, he would know that "add" and "addition" are
closely related. At least in the ways human beings use the words.

I came close, but I didn't speficy what shape it would take.

At least you don't deny that the word "add" was used.

However, in common parlance, adding something (room, wing, garage,
shop) to your house means just that -- adding it. Structure and
innards and utilities. If you didn't mean that, you could have said
"put a workshop in my house" or "upgrade my garage as a workshop".

Note that if you'd said "build a workshop in my house", that would
have less connotation of building an addition than "add a workshop
to my house".

Face it, when it comes to Krooger, communication is hopeless.
Krooglish allows an array to be a single object, night to be day,
wrong to be right, and lies to be truth.