Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ale Ale is offline

Default Speaker Stands: with or without spikes?

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to my DM601 S2 and I
donīt know if I should use spikes between the stands and the floor. My
floor is hard (without carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have also seen spikes
there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about this topic, I
would like to know your opinion.
Thank you

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Ale" wrote in message
oups.com...

** So you were NOT happy with all the high quality replies you got on "
uk.rec.audio" with the exact same question ??

Or, are you intent carrying out a global opinion survey of all usenet on
the matter ?

Or maybe the entirety of cyberspace ?

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to my DM601 S2 and I
donīt know if I should use spikes between the stands and the floor. My
floor is hard (without carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have also seen spikes
there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about this topic, I
would like to know your opinion.

** What the **** for ??

You are clearly far too ****ing stupid to gain even the slightest of
benefit.

**** OFF - you ridiculous bloody TROLL !!!!!

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Ale wrote:

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to my DM601 S2 and I
donīt know if I should use spikes between the stands and the floor. My
floor is hard (without carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have also seen spikes
there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about this topic, I
would like to know your opinion.

I suggest you try rec.audio.opinion too btw.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:36:30 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Ale wrote:

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to my DM601 S2 and I
donīt know if I should use spikes between the stands and the floor. My
floor is hard (without carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have also seen spikes
there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about this topic, I
would like to know your opinion.

I suggest you try rec.audio.opinion too btw.

Graham

Oh, that wasn't nice.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 6 Sep 2006 07:54:58 -0700, "Ale" wrote:

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to my DM601 S2 and I
donīt know if I should use spikes between the stands and the floor. My
floor is hard (without carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have also seen spikes
there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about this topic, I
would like to know your opinion.
Thank you

I think you really want an audiophile group, who will happily
recommend all sort of expensive procedures.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Ale" wrote ...
I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to
my DM601 S2 and I donīt know if I should use spikes
between the stands and the floor. My floor is hard (without
carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have
also seen spikes there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about
this topic, I would like to know your opinion.

The original purpose of spikes was to keep things from
moving around (the speaker on the stand, the stand on the
floor) and/or to couple them together. If you have hard
floors, and the speakers/stands weigh anything at all, there
should be no significant problem keeping the stand in contact
with your floor.

The reason you are seeing contradictory information is because
spikes have been hijacked by the "magic audio" community
and imbued with all sorts of amazing powers (and at a properly
ridiculous high price). That is why you saw some people
refering you to the rec.audio.opinion newsgroup where they
discuss (and even believe in) "magic audio". This is a "tech"
group where the approach is a bit more scientific and practical.

Spikes are a solution to a specific problem. If you don't have
that problem, they will do nothing but lighten your wallet.
"If it ain't broke, don't attempt to fix it."

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ale Ale is offline

Richard Crowley ha escrito:

[...]

Thank you Richard. That was helpful.

By the way, whatīs the matter with this Phil? He writes nothing but
aggression!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 6 Sep 2006 10:26:21 -0700, "Ale" wrote:

Richard Crowley ha escrito:

[...]

Phil is the sole resident of my killfile. He is a deeply disturbed
man, and you would do well to ignore him. Strangely enough, if you
have the stomach to read him, he often speaks some sense - just not
enough to be worth the unpleasantness.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

Ale wrote:

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to my DM601 S2 and I
donīt know if I should use spikes between the stands and the floor. My
floor is hard (without carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have also seen spikes
there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about this topic, I
would like to know your opinion.

I suggest you try rec.audio.opinion too btw.

Graham

Oh, that wasn't nice.

I'm a bad boy aren't I ? ;~)

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Ale wrote:

Richard Crowley ha escrito:

[...]

Not *always* !

He is especially intolerant of fools or those he suspects may be fools though.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Richard Crowley wrote:

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to
my DM601 S2 and I donīt know if I should use spikes
between the stands and the floor. My floor is hard (without
carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have
also seen spikes there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about
this topic, I would like to know your opinion.

The original purpose of spikes was to keep things from
moving around (the speaker on the stand, the stand on the
floor) and/or to couple them together. If you have hard
floors, and the speakers/stands weigh anything at all, there
should be no significant problem keeping the stand in contact
with your floor.

In general, I agree, *if* the floors are flat, *or* if the stand is
made with a three-point support.

The problem I see occasionally, is a speaker (or stands) with four
legs, sitting on a floor which isn't entirely flat (sometimes the case
with older hardwood floors). In this situation, the stand or speaker
may have a bit of a tendency to rock back and forth, which might be
disconcerting. In severe cases there might even be some buzzing
during passages with loud bass, although I haven't observed this
myself.

Three-point support systems don't have this problem of rocking,
although they don't provide as wide a support footprint and it might
be a bit easier to accidentally push over a tall speaker if it's on a
three-legged stand.

My own preference is to use a three-point support, if it can be done
safely (e.g. with legs in the front two corners, and a third in the
center rear near the wall). For this sort of support I don't believe
that spikes bring any real advantage - any fairly small foot will
result in high pressure against the floor or carpet and will allow the
speaker to sit firmly and stably. My own home-built speakers sit on
three 1" acrylic-plastic blocks, on a hardwood floor, and have no
tendency to rock or vibrate, and since there are no spikes I don't end
up with holes punched in the hardwood.

The situation in which spikes can be useful, I think, is where you
really want/need a four-legged support (e.g. for a tall and narrow
speaker system, placed out away from the wall, and are concerned about
the speaker being pushed over), and have a floor which is not hard and
flat and level. In this situation, a four-footed speaker or stand
without spikes might have a tendency to rock back and forth a bit due
to the unevenness of the floor. Downward-pointed spikes which
penetrate the floor, or upwards-pointed spikes which penetrate the
stand or the speaker cabinet, could reduce or eliminate the tendency
of the speaker/stand to rock back and forth.

You could probably get much the same benefit by using threaded brass
inserts in the stand base, and using appliance-type feet with threaded
shafts that can be screwed into the inserts and then adjusted. This
would let you level the stand and speaker, with equal pressure on each
foot, and not have to deal with spike holes in your hardwood floor.

It won't look as sexy and expensive as a set of gold-plated
solid-brass spikes, though.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Don Pearce" wrote...
Phil is the sole resident of my killfile. He is a deeply disturbed
man, and you would do well to ignore him. Strangely enough, if you
have the stomach to read him, he often speaks some sense - just not
enough to be worth the unpleasantness.

His SNR is significantly lower than 1dB.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

His SNR is significantly lower than 1dB.

1 db is still more signal than noise.

Try -20.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Ale wrote:

I am about to construct a couple of speaker stands to my DM601 S2 and I
donīt know if I should use spikes between the stands and the floor. My
floor is hard (without carpet).
In case I should use them, should I use 3 or 4 per stand?
What about between the speakers and the stands? I have also seen spikes
there.

I have found contradictory information on the web about this topic, I
would like to know your opinion.

The biggest benefit to using spikes is if your floor is carpeted. If
you place a speaker flat on the carpet it will leave an imprint that may
not go away when you move the speaker to another location. i.e. the
main benefit is not audible, but rather another aesthetic consideration.

That said, spikes vs no spikes *can* make an audible difference in some
cases - for instance a carpeted floor that's fairly resonant - spikes
will couple the speaker to the floor and excite vibrational modes that
would be damped by a layer of carpet in the middle. Whether this is an
improvement depends highly on the specific room and speaker.

The ideal speaker stand simply positions the speaker in a specific place
and adds *nothing* to the sound. That is, it shouldn't have any
sympathetic vibrations that are audible. An upside-down galvanized
steel trash can, for instance, makes a terrible speaker stand. Spikes
will couple the vibration from the speaker to the stand to the floor,
and if the floor vibrates you'll hear that. Is this a good thing?
Depends on the floor and the speaker, but the smart way to bet is no.

My advice: no spikes, use damping material between the speaker and the
stand and between the speaker and the floor. In most cases, the fewer
the sympathetic vibrations, the better.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ale Ale is offline

Thank you for your comments. For the moment I will make the stands
without metal spikes, at least until I have my floor carpeted.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Ale" wrote in message
s.com...

Thank you for your comments. For the moment I will make the stands
without metal spikes, at least until I have my floor carpeted.

** He actually listened to good advice ............

Will wonders never cease ...

......... Phil ( flabbergasted )