Bruce C. Miller

Default What to do with a double-din slot?

Just got a Ford Escape, which has a double-DIN cd/tape reciever. Wanted
to replace this with an mp3 player of some kind, but I have a feeling
that sticking a single-DIN reciever into this slot will look seriously
gay.

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any of
them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

Bruce Chang

"Bruce C. Miller" wrote in message
ps.com...
Just got a Ford Escape, which has a double-DIN cd/tape reciever. Wanted
to replace this with an mp3 player of some kind, but I have a feeling
that sticking a single-DIN reciever into this slot will look seriously
gay.

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any of
them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

Since someone is going to say it any way, I'll be the first to chime in. If
you don't want to look gay, don't drive a Ford Escape. =o)

All seriousness aside, as far as double-din players go, I have no idea but
having a single din reciever in a double din slot looks fine. You can get a
mounting kit with a raised surface if you think a flat piece would look too
homosexual. I'd say stick with the single din player. You'll have a lot
more options and you'll be paying less.

-Bruce

Scott Gardner

On 14 Jan 2005 11:08:17 -0800, "Bruce C. Miller"
wrote:

Just got a Ford Escape, which has a double-DIN cd/tape reciever. Wanted
to replace this with an mp3 player of some kind, but I have a feeling
that sticking a single-DIN reciever into this slot will look seriously
gay.

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any of
them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

I know Kenwood has a couple of double-DIN units that play MP3 files.
Google around or look at Crutchfield for details - I'm sure Kenwood
isn't the only one that makes them.

Scott
scott johnson

install a single din unit with one of those pockets underneath.or one that
holds extra cd's:

http://www.scosche.com/scosche.aspx?...3&CategoryID=5

"Bruce C. Miller" wrote in message
ps.com...
Just got a Ford Escape, which has a double-DIN cd/tape reciever. Wanted
to replace this with an mp3 player of some kind, but I have a feeling
that sticking a single-DIN reciever into this slot will look seriously
gay.

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any of
them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any

of
them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

I would recomend Eclipse, if you are willing to pay a little bit of
money, they've got 3 absolutely beautiful double din units, visit
there website and check them out
www.eclipse-web.com

Rick Brandt

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any
of them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

I would recomend Eclipse, if you are willing to pay a little bit of
money, they've got 3 absolutely beautiful double din units, visit
there website and check them out
www.eclipse-web.com

I've got a Dodge Stealth (Mitsubishi) with the double din and I went with the
spacer. I used that area to mount the gain control for my sub and it looks
fine.

There just aren't near enough choices in the double-din format and they really
seem to gouge you on the price essentially just for being bigger as they really
don't offer the features that a double-din should be capable of.

My biggest beef with after market HUs is that they favor outrageous displays
over functionality. Factory HUs typically have knobs for volume and separate
buttons for bass, treble, fader, etc.. This is MUCH nicer than the "one control
that tries to do everything" strategy that the aftermarket units provide.

Single-din units at least have an excuse (lack of real estate), but the
double-din units don't do much better. They waste all of the extra room by
putting in a bigger display and (the real killer) large areas of nothing. I
know more switches add to cost, but these are not inexpensive units.

Bottom line is if I had found a double-din that I really liked for a good price
I would have gone that way, but I wasn't going to let the hole in my dash
dictate what I had to buy.

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any
of them have mp3 capability and don't suck?

I missed the start of your thread an so am not sure if you were also looking
for a piece that did video.
If not, this might be of interest to you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9716&ssPage N
ame=STRK:MESE:IT

It's a Kenwood double DIN,
and has EQ and DSP.

www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php
Bruce C. Miller

scott johnson wrote:
install a single din unit with one of those pockets underneath.or one

that
holds extra cd's:

http://www.scosche.com/scosche.aspx?...3&CategoryID=5

Thanks, I'll try to find one of these if I can. This would look alot
better than having a blank space there and might actually be
semi-useful...

jeffc

"scott johnson" wrote in message
news
install a single din unit with one of those pockets underneath.or one that
holds extra cd's:

I agree with Scott and Bruce. You are much better off trying to make a
single DIN player look good with options rather than slapping a double DIN
in there just because you're concerned about your homosexual tendencies.
That should be dealt with in therapy, or simply openly embraced, while the
stereo issue can be dealt with quite pragmatically with a Scosche kit, or a
slot for holding CDs. My Honda Prelude, which as far as I'm aware is
neither a particularly gay-attractive nor homophobic automobile, has a
factory double DIN slot with a DIN head unit and the second DIN space a
space for CDs.

Bruce C. Miller

jeffc wrote:
"scott johnson" wrote in message
news
install a single din unit with one of those pockets underneath.or

one that
holds extra cd's:

I agree with Scott and Bruce. You are much better off trying to make

single DIN player look good with options rather than slapping a

double DIN

Yup, from what I've seen so far, most of the currently produced
double-DIN units actually have less functionality than
comparitively-priced normal-sized ones. Plus, I have no use for a tape
deck. The Eclipse unit with video is an exception, but I don't need a
DVD player in my car, so it would be a huge waste of money.

in there just because you're concerned about your homosexual

tendencies.
That should be dealt with in therapy, or simply openly embraced

I can assure you that I have no homosexual tendencies. See, that's why
I'm trying to make my dashboard look less gay, so people don't make the
same mistake you just did.

Sean Scott

"Bruce C. Miller" wrote in message
oups.com...

jeffc wrote:
[...]

You are displaying classic signs of homophobia, which are usually a sign of
homosexualality. Some guys are so scared of their effemininity that they
stear so far clear of it they get too macho and also in your case worry
about how everyone percieves their sexuality.

SRT04Turbo

I would honestly just use the dash kit for your escape. Metra makes a
decent one, and then you can actually have a ton of options. Alpine's
9831 is an really nice deck for under $400. Just go with the kit and a
single din deck, because it's usable in any vehicle. My buddy bought a
double din a couple years back and it's been useless since he got rid
of that car. We never recommend double din units at work. We have
one: it's a JVC CD and Cassette.

--
SRT04Turbo
SRT04Turbo's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=32706

Bruce C. Miller wrote:
Just got a Ford Escape, which has a double-DIN cd/tape reciever. Wanted
to replace this with an mp3 player of some kind, but I have a feeling
that sticking a single-DIN reciever into this slot will look seriously
gay.

I'm not gay but can I ask you to let that expression fade away. It's so,
so gay, to say 'so gay'.

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any of
them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

Install another device underneath (or on top) of it, or install a blank
face plate.

TBerk

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:05:37 GMT, T wrote:

Bruce C. Miller wrote:
Just got a Ford Escape, which has a double-DIN cd/tape reciever. Wanted
to replace this with an mp3 player of some kind, but I have a feeling
that sticking a single-DIN reciever into this slot will look seriously
gay.

I'm not gay but can I ask you to let that expression fade away. It's so,
so gay, to say 'so gay'.

Are double-din recievers still being manufactured and if so, do any of
them have mp3 capability and don't suck? What are my options?

Install another device underneath (or on top) of it, or install a blank
face plate.

TBerk

Or do what millions of others have.. Install a pocket that is included
with most installation kits. They are pretty useless. checkbook or
a pack of smokes but more useful than a blank.