Posted to rec.audio.tech
Allen Corneau Allen Corneau is offline

Default Hitachi component voltage

Howdy folks,

I picked up a Hitachi HT-MD03 turntable that has a small multi-pin connector
which connects to another component (receiver?) for power and audio.

I've cracked it open and I know which cables are audio and which are power.
The question: is there any way to find out the proper voltage for this unit?

I'd rather not drop $15 for the service manual if I can help it.

Any know off the top of their head? Or is there a better place to ask? Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Allen Corneau wrote:
Howdy folks,

I picked up a Hitachi HT-MD03 turntable that has a small multi-pin connector
which connects to another component (receiver?) for power and audio.

I've cracked it open and I know which cables are audio and which are power.
The question: is there any way to find out the proper voltage for this unit?

I'd rather not drop $15 for the service manual if I can help it.

Any know off the top of their head? Or is there a better place to ask? Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen

Allen,

One possibility is to open up the turntable and see if there is a
voltage listed on the motor. Most of the Small DC motors are 6, 9 or 12
volts. Of course if this is a direct drive servo unit, that won't tell
you much. You might also be able to tell from what sort of electronics
is inside the turntable. For example, if the power in leads to a
blocking diode with a smoothing capacitor and then a 6 volt regulator
IC, then I'd expect to need 9-12 volts to be applied to the regulator to
make sure it has enough voltage drop to work with.

Since the power come in on the same connector as the audio, I'd guess
that the turntable came with some sort of rack system. It might even
have the phono preamp built into the turntable. Have a look.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Tim Schwartz wrote:
Allen Corneau wrote:
[...]

12 volts would be pretty common for this application. Maybe use a limiting
resistor and a variable power supply and just experiment. Run the voltage
down to the point where the motor drops out, then increase the voltage at
least 25 % or so. Might give you an idea of about where it ought to be...

Mark Z.

I'm looking for Hitachi parts TC Marketplace 0 November 10th 06 08:23 PM
Hitachi HMA-8500 MKII Mike Audio Opinions 1 May 3rd 06 11:55 PM
Hitachi SR-2004 golnie Tech 0 October 4th 05 08:10 PM
Hitachi HR-100P - What's this then? Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 0 August 5th 04 02:27 PM
Hitachi FT-J2; HA-J2 cable Barry Mann Tech 8 February 29th 04 05:17 PM