Allan Lewis

Default Batch-encoding MP3s

Does anyone know of a program capable of batch-encoding MP3s (perhaps
several hundred) *effeciently*. I currently use WinLAME, but it's
dreadfully slow, although the quality is very good.

Basically, I have a large collection of MP3s which are starting to eat
up my hard disk. Many of them are encoded at 192, 256 or even 320kbps,
so I want to re-encode them all at 128kbps, and I have yet to find a
reasonable fast program.

I don't mind paying, so don't keep to open-source and freeware -
commercial software or paid-for shareware is fine as long as I can
download it.

Thanks in advance,
Allan Lewis.

Mark D. Zacharias

Lots of programs will batch-encode from WAV to MP3, but I don't know about
re-encoding at 128.

You know, a larger hard drive might be easier - I recently got a 200 gig
Western Digital from Googlegear for 190.00 including 2nd day freight.

Solved my MP3 / HD space problem.

Mark Z.

"Allan Lewis" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a program capable of batch-encoding MP3s (perhaps
several hundred) *effeciently*. I currently use WinLAME, but it's
dreadfully slow, although the quality is very good.

Basically, I have a large collection of MP3s which are starting to eat
up my hard disk. Many of them are encoded at 192, 256 or even 320kbps,
so I want to re-encode them all at 128kbps, and I have yet to find a
reasonable fast program.

I don't mind paying, so don't keep to open-source and freeware -
commercial software or paid-for shareware is fine as long as I can
download it.

Thanks in advance,
Allan Lewis.

Allan Lewis

Yeah, I'm in the UK and I saw a 120Gb Western Digital drive going for=20
about =A365 (~$100), but I would like to find a software solution before =

resorting to upgrading my hardware.

What programs were you thinking of that batch-encode from WAV to MP3?? I =

haven't got space on my hard disk for 500 or so WAV files (each about 3=20
minutes long) but I could decode them in batches to a CDRW then=20
re-encode them to the hard-disk (I already have a very fast MP3WAV=20
decoder). So if you could give me some examples of nice, fast programs,=20
that would be very helpful. I'm not bothered whether they're easy to=20
use; a command-line tool would be fine.

Thanks in advance,
Allan Lewis.

PS If you want to reply by email, just remove the NOSPAM from my address.=

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Lots of programs will batch-encode from WAV to MP3, but I don't know ab=

out
re-encoding at 128.
=20
[...]

Tony Roe

I use Lame 3.92 regularly as a batch encoder (command line version).

I expand the high bitrate MP3s in WinAmp, then load them all into CoolEdit
(sometimes 50-60 at once), then edit them (starts, ends, noise, EQ, enhancement
if needed, etc - but you can skip this step if you feel you don't need it).

As soon as I hit "Close Session" (to save the files I've edited), I open the
command line, go to the edit directory and type...
dir *.wav 1.bat Enter
edit 1.bat Enter

My editor then helps me to quickly change the directory listing into a batch
file that converts each .wav file into MP3 at my preferred settings. Then I save
the file, exit the editor, run the batch file and immediately open the mp3 file
that is being generated (to listen to it and check for any anomalies).

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:46:07 +0000 (UTC), Jim H
wrote:

more from the 'Allan Lewis school' of rec.audio.tech-ism:

Does anyone know of a program capable of batch-encoding MP3s (perhaps
several hundred) *effeciently*. I currently use WinLAME, but it's
dreadfully slow, although the quality is very good.

Basically, I have a large collection of MP3s which are starting to eat
up my hard disk. Many of them are encoded at 192, 256 or even 320kbps,
so I want to re-encode them all at 128kbps, and I have yet to find a
reasonable fast program.

I don't mind paying, so don't keep to open-source and freeware -
commercial software or paid-for shareware is fine as long as I can
download it.

Thanks in advance,
Allan Lewis.

check out http://www.audio-converter.com/

Regards,
Tony (remove "_" from email address to reply)

Encoding Spoken Word MS General 4 April 5th 04 03:08 PM
Replace Toyota 6 cd changer with one that plays MP3s? Dan J.S. Car Audio 1 October 24th 03 05:10 PM
compressor for mp3's Arny Krueger Pro Audio 2 August 22nd 03 04:33 PM
compressor for mp3's Arny Krueger Tech 2 August 22nd 03 04:33 PM
compressor for mp3's Mark Nelson Tech 0 August 22nd 03 03:29 PM