Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Sibelius and Finale

Some of you are close enough to the industry to give me
a picture of the battle between these two publishing
programs. I'm getting the idea that Sibelius is winning
out, although as far as I can tell, when it comes to
complex or unconventional notation, Finale is still more
capable.

What are you seeing in the professional world. Any
insights as to the various strengths of each program?

Thanks,

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tatonik Tatonik is offline

Tobiah wrote:

Some of you are close enough to the industry to give me
a picture of the battle between these two publishing
programs. I'm getting the idea that Sibelius is winning
out, although as far as I can tell, when it comes to
complex or unconventional notation, Finale is still more
capable.

What are you seeing in the professional world. Any
insights as to the various strengths of each program?

Thanks,

Tobiah

I'm not close to the industry, but my brother is a composer. Last I
knew he favored Finale. I had the impression Finale was the standard.
Perhaps things have changed.

Sibelius is named after a composer who set the score of his last
symphony on fire, so there is that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tatonik Tatonik is offline

Tatonik wrote:

Sibelius is named after a composer who set the score of his last
symphony on fire, so there is that.

In the software biz, this is what they refer to as "destructive
editing."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

I'm not close to the industry, but my brother is a composer. Last I
knew he favored Finale. I had the impression Finale was the standard.
Perhaps things have changed.

I was googling around to see whether there was any engraving work, and
the ads that specified mandated experience with Sibelius. The buzz
has always been getting going with Sibelius is quicker, while there
are simply things you're not going to be able to do unless you have Finale.

I'm a Finale guy ever since it was shipped on a single floppy disk.
Certain core aspects of it haven't changed since then. Only about
a year ago they claimed to have re-written everything in an object-oriented
style, but the interface hasn't changed much.

Once in while I download a Sibelius demo and don't get far enough
to make a fair comparison.

I'm just wondering if the industry is making the change to Sibelius
and whether that's driven by accessibility or capability.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:

I'm just wondering if the industry is making the change to Sibelius
and whether that's driven by accessibility or capability.

I have never seen Finale much in the Western Art Music world. I see scores
from Sibelius for the most part, although occasionally I still see hand-copied
scores which shows you so how far behind we might be.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/10/2018 5:43 AM, Tobiah wrote:

I'm not close to the industry, but my brother is a composer.Â* Last I
knew he favored Finale.Â* I had the impression Finale was the standard.
Perhaps things have changed.

I was googling around to see whether there was any engraving work, and
the ads that specified mandated experience with Sibelius.Â* The buzz
has always been getting going with Sibelius is quicker, while there
are simply things you're not going to be able to do unless you have Finale.

I'm a Finale guy ever since it was shipped on a single floppy disk.
Certain core aspects of it haven't changed since then.Â* Only about
a year ago they claimed to have re-written everything in an object-oriented
style, but the interface hasn't changed much.

Once in while I download a Sibelius demo and don't get far enough
to make a fair comparison.

I'm just wondering if the industry is making the change to Sibelius
and whether that's driven by accessibility or capability.

Tobiah

A local university jazz school here favours, I believe, Siblius.

geoff

Finale.2008, Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Sibelius.v5.0.HYBRID, VSL VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY, INSTRUMENTS I, II, [email protected] Pro Audio 0 October 2nd 07 05:15 PM
Finale vrs Sibelius Dewitt Pro Audio 13 March 27th 07 11:11 PM
Sibelius Annoyance knucmo Pro Audio 0 August 8th 04 12:26 PM
Sibelius latency Riaan Eloff Pro Audio 2 June 18th 04 01:16 AM
Sibelius Opinions Gary Morrison Pro Audio 16 September 8th 03 05:28 AM