Frontengine

Default Standalone Audio System??

First, I'm pretty stereo ignorant. I have a 66 Pontiac Lemans which I
don't want to cut the dash in. I would like to disconnect the AM Radio
in it (leave it in place though), and build a standalone system using
one of those portable radio/downloadable devices that everyone jogs
with nowadays. Figure I can Velcro it into an obscure spot in the
interior. Something that I could just download my music to with a
laptop, and integrate a portable radio into. Any other amps or
whatever, I can put in the trunk. I'm not after $2000 groundshaking
sound here, just something which approaches new car factory sound
systems.

I've talked to the guys at Best Buy, Circut City and other chain stores
and they give me this blank look like no-ones ever thought of this
before. I can't believe that people aren't doing it though.

So what do I need to accomplish this type of deal, or can it even be
done???

Thanks

--
Frontengine
Frontengine's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33038

Frontengine

Thanks for the replys. This gives me some ideas of what the pro's and
con's are to doing this. And how to approach it if I can work through
the problems. My problem really lies in the fact that I don't want to
cut my dash, as I see systems probably radically changing in size in
the next couple of years, and I still remember the days of cutting
dashes to accomodate nice 8 track stereo systems...(yep I'm that old).
The Pontiac Dash has a different dimension head unit originally, so
most aftermarket post style stereos won't accommodate it correctly, and
the ones which are built for it look really cheesy. I don't really
have any suitible place to mount or put a modern style head unit, which
will give me immediate access to the CD or headunit plug in's. I've
seen some remote setups which I really like, but they don't make access
very easy for auxillary music formats if they are in the trunk.

Thanks for the responses...

Ed

--
Frontengine
Frontengine's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33038
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=211034

Frontengine

Oh baby....perhaps a remote style head unit like this
http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm
mounted in the trunk, and then hooked to the Ipod remotely, whether by
FM signal converter, or hard wire.....I'm on the path now....

Thanks, guys and/or gals

Ed

--
Frontengine
Frontengine's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33038
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=211034

MOSFET

[...]

Well, the reason those guys gave you a blank look is that you will need some
type of preamp (head-unit) to control volume and run your portable music
source into. Yet, you want to leave your stock radio in place.
Hmmm.

Actually, I suppose you COULD run the headphone output, of let's say an
iPod, directly into an outboard amp. You would control the volume of the
system using the iPod volume control. You would have to run the ignition
wires to the remote turn-on connection of the amps, therefore the amps would
always be on when the car was running (a typical system has the amp
receiving the remote turn-on from the head-unit). Frankly, I think this
idea sucks, however.

You could buy an EQ/preamp and mount this right under the dash. This would
connect to the iPod and then the amps and speakers. This, not the iPod,
would control the volume. The benefits of this would be you would gain some
EQ controls which in a car is pretty much a neccessity. Also, the controls
would be better designed to operate while driving and the output voltage and
impedence would be better suited to an automotive amplifier.

Of course, the third and best choice is simply to scrap your stock radio and
get an aftermarket deck that has aux. inputs to accomodate an iPod-like
device.
Hope this helps.

MOSFET

Sponge

Just get an IPod with the car kit adaptor.

There are 2 car kits. One looks like a cassette tape with a wire that
connects to you ipod, you just insert the cassette into your current
headdeck. The second plugs into your ipod and broadcasts on an FM channel
that you just tune you radio into. Look at the below link for more
details...

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

"Frontengine" wrote in message
news:1107885625.636ad5ef5db48c7dbdb3615d60b9c8c2@t eranews...

[...]

MOSFET

"Sponge" wrote in message
Just get an IPod with the car kit adaptor.

There are 2 car kits. One looks like a cassette tape with a wire that
connects to you ipod, you just insert the cassette into your current
headdeck. The second plugs into your ipod and broadcasts on an FM channel

Sponge, you must not have read his post very carefully. His stock radio is
NOT a cassette and has only AM!

The adapter kit would be absolutely no help.

MOSFET

Sponge

YOU must not have read my post correctly.

I also suggested he use the second Ipod adaptor that transmits on an FM
frequency and can be tuned into on the radio!!

"MOSFET" wrote in message

"Sponge" wrote in message
Just get an IPod with the car kit adaptor.

There are 2 car kits. One looks like a cassette tape with a wire that
connects to you ipod, you just insert the cassette into your current
headdeck. The second plugs into your ipod and broadcasts on an FM

channel

Sponge, you must not have read his post very carefully. His stock radio

is
NOT a cassette and has only AM!

The adapter kit would be absolutely no help.

MOSFET

Listen! Lately I got get rid of old AM/FM radio and installed CD system
/AMP/pair of speaker all byself. I did not even spent 1/10th of $2000
system (actually it was well over $300 system but I got the hugh
discount deal). I don't know why anyone need a 100 watts and mega
earthshaking sound. It's junk sound I don't need it. If you look for
big hugh groundshaking sound, only you get from LP subwoofer bass which
is a junk sound. My system has that subwoofer bridging but I don't
utilize it cuz I don't need that kind of sound. I'm telling you what
some people
is just for a competition. Their earthshaking sound is just a
competition.
It is not a pleasing sound. My system is almost perfect...

Frontengine wrote:
[...]

Bobby_M

Here's a trick... buy any headunit you like and install it under a
seat. Instead of popping the detachable faceplate onto the head unit,
mount it to your dash or even on your sun visor. Now get yourself some
cat5 cable and solder the pins on the head unit to the remotely mounted
face.

I'd suggest a Pioneer head unit that supports Pbus control, the
CD-IB100 Ipod interface, and of course.. an Ipod. If that doesn't work,
get an MP3 player head and burn your MP3s to CDR.