Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chemo the Clown Chemo the Clown is offline

Default MP3/ip[od/docking station question

I am looking at getting a SanDisk SDMX3-2048 Sansa M250 2 GB MP3
Player and I'm trying to find out if it will work with a Logitech mm50
docking station with speakers. Are all MP3's configured the same as an
iPod as far as using a docking station with speakers? Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Chemo the Clown" wrote ...
I am looking at getting a SanDisk SDMX3-2048 Sansa M250 2 GB MP3
Player and I'm trying to find out if it will work with a Logitech mm50
docking station with speakers. Are all MP3's configured the same as an
iPod as far as using a docking station with speakers? Thanks!

Generally no. You cannot expect ANYTHING except a genuine
Apple iPod to have the 30-pin "iPod docking connector". Unless
you can prove conclusively otherwise. I haven't seen any non-Apple
products with those 30-pin connectors, but I may have missed one?

I can't see any indication that that SanDisk product has anything
but a USB connector and a headphone connector.

I think that Logitech speaker has an auxillary input on the back,
and you could conceivably run a cable from the SanDisk head-
phone output to the input connector on the back of the Logitech.

But I would NOT expect that anything but an Apple iPod would
actually fit into the slot on the front of the Logitech gadget.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Chemo the Clown" wrote ...
[...]

Hi Richard, I have asked this in another newsgroup but got no response. Can
you buy these connectors? I have an Apple docking station here with a
broken connector.

I can't actually get inside the thing yet, as it has no visible fixings
whatsoever, but if the part isn't available it will just have to remain a
mystery.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Gareth Magennis" wrote ...
Hi Richard, I have asked this in another newsgroup but got no response.
Can you buy these connectors? I have an Apple docking station here with a
broken connector.

Several places sell them. My favorite (for these connectors
and much other stuff) is www.sparkfun.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chemo the Clown Chemo the Clown is offline

On Jul 23, 6:23*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Chemo the Clown" wrote ...

[...]

Thanks for the reply!
Can you recommend a docking station with speakers that would work with
the SanDisk SDMX3-2048 Sansa M250 2 GB MP3?

Thanks again!
Chemo

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Chemo the Clown" wrote ...
Can you recommend a docking station with speakers that would
work with the SanDisk SDMX3-2048 Sansa M250 2 GB MP3?

No clue. Start Googling.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Chemo the Clown wrote:

[...]

You're looking at it wrong. The iPod has that 30pin connector so it
can do all kinds of things with it, including audio transfer and I
gather even remote control and audio input so you can record to
the iPod).

Any other MP3 player will only have a USB connector, so you can connect
it to your computer to load it up with MP3s. They will have the headphone
jack that can feed any audio input on any device.

So anything that has audio input jacks will work with an MP3 player.
That means "computer speakers", your old stereo system, boomboxes
with auxiliary inputs (now labelled "MP3 ready"), car stereos with
an auxiliary jack on the front panel (I don't think those were common,
but they exist), likely I'm missing a few. Since the MP3 player
headphone jack is just standard audio, it will work with anything
that has an audio input.

There are even some small stereo systems (and likely boomboxes) that
have a USB connector on the front panel, and I think those use the
memory in the MP3 player and decode the digital information inside,
displaying on the unit's display. I'm not certain about them, I've
not seen them up close, but they have the USB connector on the
front for some reason.

Michael