Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default TLM 103 D acoustic guitar track clip is up

Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Mitch[_4_] Mitch[_4_] is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote....
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

Very nice and rich sounding Ty.

What's your current bang-for-buck fave for live sound applications on an
acoustic? I remember you used to like the AE5100.

M-

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:14:16 -0500, Mitch wrote
(in article ):

"Ty Ford" wrote....
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

Very nice and rich sounding Ty.

What's your current bang-for-buck fave for live sound applications on an
acoustic? I remember you used to like the AE5100.

M-

Thanks Mitch,

I was having one of those "hmm, I should change strings more often" moments.
I like the AE5400, not AE5100, and mostly for vocals. I don't remember having
an opinion on the 5100, but if you say so, maybe I did.

Acoustic guitar live mics. Hmm. Lets discuss.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Mike Rieves Mike Rieves is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET...
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Nice, even on the small speakers on my internet computer!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
[email protected] vdubreeze@verizon.net is offline

On Nov 20, 11:11*pm, "Mike Rieves" wrote:

* * Nice, even on the small speakers on my internet computer!

I immediately thought the same thing! I also really like the "Look
Ma, I'm Flyin'" clip on youtube. (Can we all agree now to bury all
the undersaddle pickups in the world? : ) )
Really nice.

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

That's interesting. Does it seem more versatile? I use my 103 but
not all that much, maybe due to the top/middle/low balance. I wonder
if the mic buying public will respond better to this one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Bigguy[_3_] Bigguy[_3_] is offline

Ty Ford wrote:
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Nice!

I love keeping it simple...

Neumann mics, forged by the god Thor inside german volcanoes...

Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:36:14 -0500, wrote
(in article
):

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

That's interesting. Does it seem more versatile? I use my 103 but
not all that much, maybe due to the top/middle/low balance. I wonder
if the mic buying public will respond better to this one.

Thanks VDU,

Neumann did very well with the original TLM 103. I have used them as
coincident stereo pairs, which is unusual for LD condensers. I think the more
transparent head grilles are responsible for that.

With my MDR7506 cranked up, I remember hearing a squinch of HF noise in the
analog mic track. My thought last night after uploading the TLM 103D solo
guitar track was that, with EQ, the analog TLM 103 may sound a lot more like
the TLM 103D. Taking a little off the top might also remove that noise. I may
try that today.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demos
http://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

On Nov 21, 10:30*am, Ty Ford wrote:

Neumann did very well with the original TLM 103. I have used them as
coincident stereo pairs, which is unusual for LD condensers. I think the more
transparent head grilles are responsible for that.

I meant about how they've been perceived and used in the pro
community. I just don't see them all that much in studio mic closets,
and if they're there they don't get used that much over other
options. I think Neumann hit a sweet spot with the price/sound
quality ratio, and I bought one when they first shipped for that
reason, and I know they did well selling to folks wanting to buy a
single, quality mic for under a grand. Highest and quietest output of
any of my mics. I like it more than any $400 mic here, but not more
than any $1,700 mic, so... : )

I also just watched your AES 2008 clip of it, and now see that it's
really not priced at the same people. Even though it's got the pre
and converter, being $2,200 aims it above the home recordists. I
wonder how much of a different animal it is, added functions aside.

I like your youtube clips! You make sure the viewer gets some
information instead of just seeing a cool product and wondering what
the details are.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Nick Delonas[_2_] Nick Delonas[_2_] is offline

In article ET,
says...
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

This wouldn't play for me. Wav files map to Windows Media player.
Maybe that's the problem if you're using a higher bit depth.

I'm checking out your site though. Now listening to Existential Boogie
(title cracks me up). I was expecting Sartre but got down-home
Heidegger I think (or maybe Ram Dass). LOL.

Oh, and hey, I'm a discontinued model too. :-/

Nice guitar work and arrangements in general. Cool clarinet.

Your voice reminds me a little of Neal Cronce of Myopic Dog. I jammed
with them a few times. You guys would probably get along.

Good stuff.

--Nick

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Nick Delonas[_2_] Nick Delonas[_2_] is offline

In article ET,
says...

Yeah, I dig the flying tune. Very beautiful. Nice rich tone too.

Oh, and your house is much nicer than mine (at least the inside). :-)

--Nick

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nick Delonas[_2_] Nick Delonas[_2_] is offline

In article ,
says...
It's cross posted.

LOL! Well, I'd certainly include RAP in that and I mean that sincerely.

(Sorry, I didn't notice the cross post. )

--Nick
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Keith. Keith. is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET...
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Very clean and dry,quite noticeable the 'distance effect' from 18". Bass was
reduced but smooth,very pleasant to play again from the monitors with eyes
shut. I like the meditaive affect of letting the instrument 'ring out'.
A great mic and sensitive playing.

Keith.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:39:55 -0500, Nick Delonas wrote
(in article ) :

In article ET,
says...
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

This wouldn't play for me. Wav files map to Windows Media player.
Maybe that's the problem if you're using a higher bit depth.

I'm checking out your site though. Now listening to Existential Boogie
(title cracks me up). I was expecting Sartre but got down-home
Heidegger I think (or maybe Ram Dass). LOL.

I'm not sure where "that guy" in me came from, Nick. All I know is I was
doing it as a folk tune and someone said, "Well, since you call it the
Existential Boogie" shouldn't it be a boogie?"

It was big fun to "re-do" it and I had a lot of help from my friends to play
all the other added parts.

Oh, and hey, I'm a discontinued model too. :-/

Nice guitar work and arrangements in general. Cool clarinet.

Thanks again. I guess we're all headed toward superannuation. Seth Kibel is
the clarinet wizard. Again, calling out to friends helps my music a lot. If
you listen deep enough to hear the background vocals - Karyn Oliver, Claudia
SanSoucie and Randall Williams did an amazing job. I particularly like the
spooky harmonies the gals do in the second verse and chorus.

Your voice reminds me a little of Neal Cronce of Myopic Dog. I jammed
with them a few times. You guys would probably get along.

I'll have to check him out. Thanks for the tip.

Good stuff.

--Nick

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:21:21 -0500, Keith. wrote
(in article ):
"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET...
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Note: The TLM 103D is not as big on top or bottom as the original TLM 103.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Very clean and dry,quite noticeable the 'distance effect' from 18". Bass was
reduced but smooth,very pleasant to play again from the monitors with eyes
shut. I like the meditaive affect of letting the instrument 'ring out'.
A great mic and sensitive playing.

Keith.

Thanks Keith,

Yes, there is some proximity effect with the mic, but not as much as with the
analog TLM 103. When I pulled back the bottom drops out a bit, but I did have
the 80Hz filter on in the Neumann RCS software. The mic was between the neck
joint and the sound hole. That's a bit closer to the sound hole than I ever
get. My analog 103 seldom gets used on acoustic guitar because of the bottom,

Then again, I did use it in this video I shot for Neil Harpe. You can see it
down in the left corner of the frame: http://www.vimeo.com/2179144

The TLM 103D also has a much smoother top end than the analog TLM 103.

Someone else mentioned the track plays well on small and big speakers. I
think that's due to the richness in the midrange the mic has. With
headphones, it get really quiet after the last note rings out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Keith. Keith. is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET...
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Regards, Ty Ford

Nick, well you're right. I added a phaser on the strum parts! Nice catch.

Ty

Anything else added, Ty ?

Keith.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:32:36 -0500, Keith. wrote
(in article ):

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET...
Hi,

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Publi...LM103DD28S.wav

It's a 21MB file I recorded today. The Neumann RCS software has the 80 Hz
high-pass filter in, but nothing else. No effects, no EQ, no nothin'.

Regards, Ty Ford

Nick, well you're right. I added a phaser on the strum parts! Nice catch.

Ty

Anything else added, Ty ?

Keith.

Keith,

Not to confuse folks. On the above mentioned audio from the TLM 103D I had
nothing but 80Hz high pass.

On the "Look Ma:" video, I had a little compression and a little reverb which
I swapped out for the phaser in the C-part (strum parts) of the song then
switched back to the reverb after the C-part.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Misifus[_2_] Misifus[_2_] is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
[...]

Ty, on the Neil Harpe cut, he doesn't appear to actually play the harp
stings, but I seem to be hearing them. Are they vibrating sympathetically?

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafiii
home: http://www.rafandsioux.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:07:49 -0500, Misifus wrote
(in article ):

Ty, on the Neil Harpe cut, he doesn't appear to actually play the harp
stings, but I seem to be hearing them. Are they vibrating sympathetically?

-Raf

Raf,

Right you are. He's not touching them. I do have a little reverb on the
audio, but the other six strings are vibrating sympathetically. The
sympathetic strings are a very subtle sound.

I suppose you could play the unfretted strings, but I tried playing a
neighbor's unfretted 11 string last week and quickly gave up while trying to
chord. In a standard, first position E major, my middle and ring fingers do
NOT want to be directly across from each other. The results were not tuneful.

Maybe if you're playing a single note melody.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:09:20 -0500, Ty Ford wrote
(in article ET):

The TLM 103D also has a much smoother top end than the analog TLM 103.

Posting on myself. That's a first.

I found today that the difference in the sound of analog and digital versions
of the TLM 103 was due to a 22 sample difference on the time line.

The A/D converter in the Neumann TLM 103D takes a little longer to get to the
time line than the A/D converters in my Digi 002.

I'll have to try this through my other system to see what if any latencies
there are.