Bryan McGivney

Default Effects of coupling cap sizes?

I have an amp that was acting up and someone here suggested changing the
coupling caps. I finally figured out which ones they must be and found some
replacements. The originals were .047mfd and I was able to find .04mfd and
..06mfd. How does changing the value effect the amp? I ended up getting both
sizes as they don't cost much. I got some Orange Drops. I installed the
..04mfd. Just curious what is affected by shifting that value up or down.

TIA,
Bryan

TubeGarden

Hi RATs!

If everything else in the circuit stays the same, a bigger cap will have a
lower rolloff frequency.

Double the size to lower one octave.

Try both sizes you have and pick the one you like the sound of in your system.
Give each size at least a week.

If you can't decide, relax, it is OK

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead
Bryan McGivney

I guess that putting the larger cap in would also be affected by whether or
not the OPT would give the extra low end extension too, right?

I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. Push a SS amp hard and I can
easily tell you when you've crossed the line but other than that I can tell
some differences in the way "space" in a recording sounds but not much more.

Thanks Though,
Bryan