Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Studio CD player recommendation?

My 12 year-old machine is finally in on its last legs. Maybe it's because the format
is slowly dying, but choices for a replacement commercial-grade player seem to have
diminished.

My needs are simple:

1. stable, lower-error transport that can read a varying level of disk quality. I'm
leery of the $9 commodity transports used in many players, even supposedly
higher-end players. These cheapie transports seem prone to not reading disks unless
they're perfect, jumping into EDC too soon, or just have a high error rate
(perhaps because a single laser is tasked for both CD and DVD track widths).

2. AES-EBU or SPDIF output. (Don't care about analog outs and internal DAC quality;
won't be used.)

3. Quiet transport and no fan -- it's in the control room

4. 1U size and a slot for USB sticks would be nice but not necessary.

Any experience with some of the current generation of machines? (The Tascam 200 or
500 look like they might work; anyone own or use one?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frank
Mobile Audio

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

See if you can find a player that loads discs using a drawer, rather than aslot. The slot-loading players sometimes refuse to disgorge the disc.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/06/2016 5:29 AM, Frank Stearns wrote:

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.

Only if you don't make explicit alternative routing arrangements, which
is trivial.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff writes:

On 10/06/2016 5:29 AM, Frank Stearns wrote:

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.

Only if you don't make explicit alternative routing arrangements, which
is trivial.

Such as? I've been through the very bowels of this system, from top to bottom and
side to side, and durned if I can find any suspects. All proccessing is off or
bypassed, levels set to unity. I've had other windows systems that don't have any
problems like this. (This is a Win7 64 bit machine.)

Here are a few data points:

- Protools sounds fine; no issues. But all apps outside of PT have a subtlely
degraded sound.

- In one of the non-PT apps, I noticed a "protools ASIO" on the audio device list
selectable in the app, this along with all the other device IO paths offered by the
driver for my RME800 (btw, these are the latest drives for the RME).

However, I can't get signal through this "device" when selected from within any apps
outside of PT. It's apparently only there to serve PT. Does Avid know something
special about Windows audio and have written a path that completely bypasses it?

Very curious to know what else might be investigated...

I'd still like an external studio CD player, but it'd be nice to get this solved as
well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:

1. stable, lower-error transport that can read a varying level of disk quality. I'm
leery of the $9 commodity transports used in many players, even supposedly
higher-end players. These cheapie transports seem prone to not reading disks unless
they're perfect, jumping into EDC too soon, or just have a high error rate
(perhaps because a single laser is tasked for both CD and DVD track widths).

1. Buy a used Magnavox CDB-480 or CDB-460. They are very, very good about
dealing with discs that have high error rates. There are easy mods for
them to display error rates on an external counter too.

2. Buy a used hhb CDR-800 standalone burner. Not the CDR-830 which is a much
flimsier design. Then you have the ability to write CDs in realtime as
well which might come in handy someday.

In either case, have the transport cleaned and lubed or do it yourself
according to the manual directions. Both of these are machines that are
designed to be maintained rather than just thrown out.

3. Buy a Tascam CD200. It's not as solid as the aforementioned two machines,
but they are available new and they seem okay. I installed one on a PA
rig a couple years ago and it has held up well so far.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

--
.

This works well with my professional headphones. Heck, even mics are included..

http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/22/300x300p...1ZqZjILsqL.jpg

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/06/2016 3:29 AM, Frank Stearns wrote:
[...]

I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days, I
haven't used one for a decade or more. (no idea if mine still works even
though I haven't thrown it out) FAR better to rip all your CD's to a
hard drive using EAC so you know there are no errors. Then you can
create a searchable database and play anything instantly without
searching for a disk, easily create custom playlists, or play
uninterrupted for days or perhaps years! :-)

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.

Then the first thing you need to do is sort out the drivers for your
sound interface, or get a new one.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/06/2016 08:44, Trevor wrote:
I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days, I
haven't used one for a decade or more. (no idea if mine still works even
though I haven't thrown it out) FAR better to rip all your CD's to a
hard drive using EAC so you know there are no errors. Then you can
create a searchable database and play anything instantly without
searching for a disk, easily create custom playlists, or play
uninterrupted for days or perhaps years! :-)

This is fine until a client brings in a dodgy home burnt CD for you to
use as a backing track or similar, which your CD drive needs to be able
to read in real time without glitching. This applies double if you're
doing the sound at a festival or even an open mic night, and the band
suddenly hand you a coffee stained one with a backing track on it for
their set, which is next up on the list in 5 minutes or less.... Sound
check? What's that? You need your gear to just play it, not fall over
with all sorts of clever reasons about why it needs 10 minutes to rip a
2 minute track.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

On 6/10/2016 2:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
[...]

That works for me. Couldn't live with out it. I haven't used my 5 disk Sony in
at least 12 years.

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go
through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a
purely
digital source.

Then the first thing you need to do is sort out the drivers for your sound
interface, or get a new one.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote: "I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days"

To play CDs in. And the discs themselves serve an
obvious purpose: as backup in case that whiz-bang
music server goes to the Cadillac Ranch.

Media Servers, streaming and the 'Cloud', were
known about over thirty years ago. That's why
optical disc players of all stripes were purposely
engineered not to last very long. But as part of
the Resistance, I'm keeping all my discs and
players for as long as they'll last.

Nothing beats the shear quality of watching a movie
or listening to music from a disc. You're getting
*everything*, as opposed to streaming, which is
like blinking your eyes rapidly all day as you go
about your business.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/06/2016 7:44 PM, Trevor wrote:

I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days, I
haven't used one for a decade or more.

All my home listening is on CD. FM radio and ALAC-on-iPod or
FLAC-on-Android in the car.

Listening to CDs, like LPs, does wonders for one's attention-span and
deeper music appreciation.

But that's just me....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/10/2016 3:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days

Who cares what you don't know? The man wants a CD player, he should get
what he wants.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/06/2016 6:16 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/06/2016 08:44, Trevor wrote:
I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days, I
haven't used one for a decade or more. (no idea if mine still works even
though I haven't thrown it out) FAR better to rip all your CD's to a
hard drive using EAC so you know there are no errors. Then you can
create a searchable database and play anything instantly without
searching for a disk, easily create custom playlists, or play
uninterrupted for days or perhaps years! :-)

This is fine until a client brings in a dodgy home burnt CD for you to
use as a backing track or similar, which your CD drive needs to be able
to read in real time without glitching.

WHY? Far better to rip it, and let the computer re-read any dodgy spots
for error correction. IF you can't rip it without error, you won't be
able to play it real time without error!

This applies double if you're
doing the sound at a festival or even an open mic night, and the band
suddenly hand you a coffee stained one with a backing track on it for
their set, which is next up on the list in 5 minutes or less.

Never had a problem, can rip a lot faster than real time.

... Sound
check? What's that? You need your gear to just play it, not fall over
with all sorts of clever reasons about why it needs 10 minutes to rip a
2 minute track.

IF your computer ever takes 10 minutes to rip a 2 minute track, I can
only imagine what skipping, muting, distortion etc. you'd get trying to
play it real time!
Tell the artist to bring a proper disk next time.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 6/10/2016 6:47 AM, wrote:
To play CDs in. And the discs themselves serve an
obvious purpose: as backup in case that whiz-bang
music server goes to the Cadillac Ranch.

"And, as John pointed out, for playing CDs that aren't on a convenient
server. Not everyone is as hip to new technology as The K Man.

I've had people come up to me at a festival with a USB thumb drive and
ask if I can play it. I say to them: "Sure. You can set up your computer
right here." Then they get a CD out of a purse or guitar case and I put
it in the player that's installed in the rack and wired to a couple of
channels on the console. "

Obviously you didn't catch my sarcasm at all. While I
may be aware of all the latest technology, I'm actually
quite the luddite, Mike.

I then listed other reasons why physical media is better,
such as sounding and appearing closer to the source.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @gmail.com wrote in message
Trevor wrote: "I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD
player these days"
Media Servers, streaming and the 'Cloud', were
known about over thirty years ago. That's why
optical disc players of all stripes were purposely
engineered not to last very long.

What a dumb **** thing to say. You need to adjust your foil fedora,
li'l buddy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers writes:

On 6/10/2016 3:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days

Who cares what you don't know? The man wants a CD player, he should get
what he wants.

Thanks, Mike.

First, someday I might rip the entire home CD collection to a server, but not right
now. It'd be a hellavu task when (if) that day comes. It's physically well organized
enough right now that I feel no need to get it "centralized". And, just like the
now-vanished card catalog at the library, there can be search serendipty you never
get with a database search. I feel sorry for those who've never had the chance to
experience that delight.

Also, even like LPs, there's something to be said for tangible media, something you
can hold in your hands, with liner notes (feeble as they might be on a lot of CDs).
It's better in the classical world, though; often real booklets are provided with
CDs.

But that's about "home use". This machine is for studio use. The bulk of my clients
don't do "throw away" or "ignore in the background" music. There's an implication
(and demand) in their culture to produce physical media -- CDs -- for their
projects. I'm happy to accommodate. I simply want a machine not tied to the
workstation to proof masters, check runs from the CD plant, etc.

Lastly, for the theater sound I do for fun from time to time, clients will bring in
the damnedest hodge-podge of stuff on CDs. Nice to be able to play them cleanly,
even if they're a little sketchy.

So that's why I need and use a CD player. I'll probably go with the Tascam 200 Scott
suggested; it had been on my own original list of prospects (the Magnavoxes sound
like fun but I don't have as much tinker time these days as I'd like).

However, still open to other suggests/stories -- but please, really just suggestions
for a machine are all that's needed, not bewilderment as to why I would ever want
such a thing.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 3:44:23 AM UTC-4, Trevor wrote:
[...]

Sort of like wanting a turntable, where you gouged a diamond into vinyl and it would wiggle. Man copied this wiggle and called it "dance"!

Jack

(no idea if mine still works even
though I haven't thrown it out) FAR better to rip all your CD's to a
hard drive using EAC so you know there are no errors. Then you can
create a searchable database and play anything instantly without
searching for a disk, easily create custom playlists, or play
uninterrupted for days or perhaps years! :-)

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.

Then the first thing you need to do is sort out the drivers for your
sound interface, or get a new one.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Trevor writes:

snips

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.

Then the first thing you need to do is sort out the drivers for your
sound interface, or get a new one.

See my other reply to Geoff about this... Been through the system, at all levels.
Drivers for the RME800 upgraded with the system. Weirdest thing I've run into.
Protools *sounds fine* (it has its own "Protools ASIO" device not usable in other
apps), but everything else in all other apps is slightly degraded.

Mind you, this is subtle enough that consumer gear never reveals it, but the monitor
chain in the mix room sure does.

Any suggestions?

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/06/2016 9:30 PM, geoff wrote:
On 10/06/2016 7:44 PM, Trevor wrote:
Listening to CDs, like LPs, does wonders for one's attention-span and
deeper music appreciation.

But that's just me....

Not just you, lots of people more into the process than the music it seems.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/06/2016 9:34 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/10/2016 3:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days

Who cares what you don't know? The man wants a CD player, he should get
what he wants.

I thought you'd tell him to get a tape recorder! :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/06/2016 9:39 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
I've had people come up to me at a festival with a USB thumb drive and
ask if I can play it. I say to them: "Sure. You can set up your computer
right here." Then they get a CD out of a purse or guitar case and I put
it in the player that's installed in the rack and wired to a couple of
channels on the console.

At least I'd be able to plug their USB stick OR CD in straight away. But
you probably still have a cassette deck as well. I don't.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/06/2016 11:06 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:
Trevor writes:

snips

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.

Then the first thing you need to do is sort out the drivers for your
sound interface, or get a new one.

See my other reply to Geoff about this... Been through the system, at all levels.
Drivers for the RME800 upgraded with the system. Weirdest thing I've run into.
Protools *sounds fine* (it has its own "Protools ASIO" device not usable in other
apps), but everything else in all other apps is slightly degraded.

Mind you, this is subtle enough that consumer gear never reveals it, but the monitor
chain in the mix room sure does.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't the RME have it's own ASIO driver? Checked for updates? Or even
tried ASIO4ALL perhaps?

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/10/2016 9:32 AM, Trevor wrote:
At least I'd be able to plug their USB stick OR CD in straight away. But
you probably still have a cassette deck as well. I don't.

When I'm working live sound at a festival, other than a few favorite
mics or useful little things, someone else provides the equipment. I
normally don't have a computer with me into which a performer can plug
in a USB stick. And I prefer working on analog consoles, so the console
doesn't have a place to plug in the USB stick.

However, since our folk festivals tend to get the low tech end of a
sound company's rental stock, there's usually a CD player in the rack of
reverbs, equalizers and compressors that are nowadays built into a
digital console.

Personally, I have two working cassette decks, though I don't bring them
out to shows.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:

Any suggestions?

CD player - 75 ohm video patchbay - mastering DAC - analogue patchbay -
monitor panel - speakers

In a second or two you can repatch the computer, or some other computer, or
a digital mixer or DAT deck into the DAC input. And 75 ohm patchbays are
pretty much free for the asking from TV people who have gone to fancy matrix
switches.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 10/06/2016 9:39 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
I've had people come up to me at a festival with a USB thumb drive and
ask if I can play it. I say to them: "Sure. You can set up your computer
right here." Then they get a CD out of a purse or guitar case and I put
it in the player that's installed in the rack and wired to a couple of
channels on the console.

At least I'd be able to plug their USB stick OR CD in straight away. But
you probably still have a cassette deck as well. I don't.

2012 was the last year anyone has ever brought me a cassette at a festival.
I don't expect to see them any more, but I'm not saying it won't happen.

National Events is still shipping out their PA racks with cassette decks.
No USB recorder/players yet. And sadly, most of the time we get what the
rental company provides.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
martymart martymart is offline

The Denon DN-501C has worked well in a number installations.

Marty
Posted to rec.audio.pro

martymart wrote:
The Denon DN-501C has worked well in a number installations.

I specifically didn't mention denon since I've had nothing but trouble with
the DN-300C at a local radio station that actually still plays CDs live on
the air.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/06/2016 12:38, Trevor wrote:
IF your computer ever takes 10 minutes to rip a 2 minute track, I can
only imagine what skipping, muting, distortion etc. you'd get trying to
play it real time!
Tell the artist to bring a proper disk next time.

At a guess, you don't do live sound, do you?

A good standalone CD player can track a worse CD than most computer
drives, in my experience.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 5:34:44 AM UTC-6, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/10/2016 3:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days

Who cares what you don't know? The man wants a CD player, he should get
what he wants.

While this thread has fallen into the usual minutia about the great ability of the computer drives, there are reasons that I still use a CD player. I can open the player, insert a disc and have a selected track playing in 11 seconds.

The same process on my computer takes 45 seconds. It takes almost 25 seconds for the computer to even recognize that a CD has been inserted. Auditioning tracks that I don't plan to import becomes really time consuming.

Further, I have a customer who brings me some of the most scratched up messes of CD's. When those are ripped, I often get huge glitches on the rip. I can play those same CD's from my player without audio problems, make the transfer digitally in real time and not have surprises later on in production.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Richard Kuschel wrote: "While this thread has fallen into the usual minutia about the great ability of the computer drives,
there are reasons that I still use a CD player. I can open the player, insert a disc and have a selected track playing in 11 seconds.

The same process on my computer takes 45 seconds. It takes almost 25 seconds for the computer to even recognize that a CD
has been inserted. Auditioning tracks that I don't plan to import becomes really time consuming.

Further, I have a customer who brings me some of the most scratched up messes of CD's. When those are ripped, I often get huge
glitches on the rip. I can play those same CD's from my player without audio problems, make the transfer digitally in real time and not
have surprises later on in production. "

THANK YOU!!!!!

And ditto for DVD.

This reliance on computers to do everything from watching
videos to flushing our toilets has gotten out of hand. This is
why I've been so oppposed to the abandonment of over-the-
air(terrestrial) broadcast of TV and radio. For once can we
be free to:

Use a TV to watch tv? (5-10sec as opposed to 60+sec on
a computer or even a tablet)

A RADIO to listen to music or talk? (2-4sec)

The THERMOSTAT on the wall to adjust room
temeperature? (2-3sec)

And a TOASTER to make toast???

Sheeezuss!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 2:00:57 PM UTC-4, Richard Kuschel wrote:
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 5:34:44 AM UTC-6, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/10/2016 3:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
I don't know why on earth *anyone* would want a CD player these days

Who cares what you don't know? The man wants a CD player, he should get
what he wants.

While this thread has fallen into the usual minutia about the great ability of the computer drives, there are reasons that I still use a CD player. I can open the player, insert a disc and have a selected track playing in 11 seconds.

I see, and with your huge CD collect, you just walk over, wonder where you placed the Beatles CD, but maybe it's on the other rack, or is it. After a few minutes, you finally find it and return to the CD play.

However, with CD contents on Computer, 10 second search, bam, there's the Beatles, click and play!

Jack

The same process on my computer takes 45 seconds. It takes almost 25 seconds for the computer to even recognize that a CD has been inserted. Auditioning tracks that I don't plan to import becomes really time consuming.

Further, I have a customer who brings me some of the most scratched up messes of CD's. When those are ripped, I often get huge glitches on the rip. I can play those same CD's from my player without audio problems, make the transfer digitally in real time and not have surprises later on in production.

I have been using a TASCAM CD-601 for 23 years. It hasn't been without trouble, but I have had no problems with it for the last 10 years.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 10 Jun 2016, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

As is evidenced from the suggestions here, Just Plain CD players
aren't all that common these days.

You're right, plain ol' CD players are an endangered species. Several
months ago, mine conked out and I went searching for a new one. New
ones hardly seem to be made anymore and are overpriced, ditto new-old-
stock ones from places like Amazon, so I turned to Craigslist. Also
rare, but there were some. I bought a used Denon, which unfortunately
turned out to be very particular about the discs it plays, and if there
is even the slightest flaw it skips. I'm not satisfied and I'll have to
replace it one of these days when I can't take it any more.

Everything you find at Best Buy these days is a DVD player that
plays CDs.

If it came down to it, that would be OK with me, except... The problem
with those units is that they usually have little or no display - they
expect you to have them hooked up to a TV or 'home entertainment
system' in order to see what you're doing. Also, most of the physical
controls are on a remote, not on the unit itself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/06/2016 1:26 AM, Trevor wrote:
On 10/06/2016 9:30 PM, geoff wrote:
On 10/06/2016 7:44 PM, Trevor wrote:
Listening to CDs, like LPs, does wonders for one's attention-span and
deeper music appreciation.

But that's just me....

Not just you, lots of people more into the process than the music it seems.

Not the technical process at all - the sitting down without distractions
and listening to a piece of music (say, an 'album') as a whole, rather
than distractions such as keyboards, screens, tablet controllers, etc.

Not to say I exclusively listen to whole albums, but I find CDs the most
convenient and satisfying way of doing it in a domestic setting.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/06/2016 12:57 AM, Frank Stearns wrote:

Also, even like LPs, there's something to be said for tangible media, something you
can hold in your hands, with liner notes (feeble as they might be on a lot of CDs).
It's better in the classical world, though; often real booklets are provided with
CDs.

I'm a bit of a boring old stick-in-the-mud too, wrt tangible media.

From what I observe of current trends is that many consumers don't
expect to pay for media (music, video, whatever), or do pay but in bulk
bundled with some other (ie phone) service/item, are content to listen
to aurally compromised material, and attribute little lasting value to
it not only in the (non)physical sense, but artistically as well.

I've ripped much of my CD collection to ALAC (and converted also to
FLAC) primarily for mobile purposes, and could set things up to play it
that way at home, but I prefer to simply grab a CD/DVD/BluRay, stick it
in the player, and maybe briefly peruse the liner notes while
listening/watching.

My clients mostly require CDs as the primary delivery product, many
converting those to downloadable media, and some even request higher
definition versions (rarely). I think artist and bands find it much more
satisfying to actually sell a CD at a gig than hand out a piece of paer
with a note of how/where for people to (hopefully) to download it from.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/06/2016 6:55 AM, JackA wrote:
..

I see, and with your huge CD collect, you just walk over, wonder
where you placed the Beatles CD, but maybe it's on the other rack, or
is it. After a few minutes, you finally find it and return to the CD
play.

I go to my shelf unit with upwards of 500 CDs, go immediatedly to the
section where I know "B" artists are, grab the CD I want, stick it in
the player and play it.

And I am confident that I know exactly the quality of reproduction I am
getting with little likelihood of things being compromised in any way.

However, with CD contents on Computer, 10 second search, bam, there's
the Beatles, click and play!

Pleased for you.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/06/2016 1:06 AM, Frank Stearns wrote:
Trevor writes:

snips

PS: I don't use the drive in the workstation because the audio has to go through the
windows audio subsystem, which just plains screws up sonics, even if it's a purely
digital source.

Then the first thing you need to do is sort out the drivers for your
sound interface, or get a new one.

See my other reply to Geoff about this... Been through the system, at all levels.
Drivers for the RME800 upgraded with the system. Weirdest thing I've run into.
Protools *sounds fine* (it has its own "Protools ASIO" device not usable in other
apps), but everything else in all other apps is slightly degraded.

So get an ASIO driver, or a 'classic' driver that can be access directly
by an application, rather than relying on anything that goes through
through the Windows Kernal Mixer with its inherent resampling (etc)
which is probably what is causing your subtle degradation (if not
psychological).

If RME is so far up Digidesign's arse that that won't provide drivers
that work well universally (like pretty much all other providers do with
no big effort), then I would seriously question using their products.
Mind you, I dislike SlowTools for similar reasons !

Mind you, this is subtle enough that consumer gear never reveals it, but the monitor
chain in the mix room sure does.

Are you sure there is not some other factor involved here ?

Any suggestions?

Yep - I scour online for quality used CD players, and grab one when I
feel the need, or see on that shouldn't be missed.

As far as rackmount 'pro' ones go - I've never had a bad one. Have had
Tascam (can't remember model, got pinched) and MarantzPro. Current use
various domestic CD and/or /SACD when required.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/10/2016 9:09 PM, geoff wrote:
I think artist and bands find it much more satisfying to actually sell a
CD at a gig than hand out a piece of paer with a note of how/where for
people to (hopefully) to download it from.

Of course they do. They can make more money from a CD than from a
download, and they know that the customer has something that they're
taking home as a souvenir from the show as well as music they can listen
to any time.