Default SP T3. Any real experiences?

I'm looking for a condensor mic mainly for male pop and folk vocals. I
haven't read a lot about the T3 but a lot of the other mics from studio
projects get great reviews. I really need something with that nice
tube fuzz sound, but i don't want anything annoyingly bright on the
top. A mic that smooths out nasal sounds would be a nice bonus.

SP T3 good for this? Any other suggestions (in the sub $500 price
range).

Thanks in advance.

Scott Dorsey

I'm looking for a condensor mic mainly for male pop and folk vocals. I
haven't read a lot about the T3 but a lot of the other mics from studio
projects get great reviews. I really need something with that nice
tube fuzz sound, but i don't want anything annoyingly bright on the
top. A mic that smooths out nasal sounds would be a nice bonus.

Tube fuzz sound? Huh?

If you want to smooth out nasal voices, look at the Beyer M-500. It's
not a condenser mike and it doesn't have a tube in it, but it does the
job nicely.

Hi and thanks for the replys. By Fuzz, I guess maybe fizz or sizzle
would have been a better word. What I'm referring to is a nice
detailed sound around 4k, and a nice smooth but not boomy low end.

Thanks again.

To JP:

Thanks for the reply. I have never used a tube mic, mostly my
experience is with inexpensive large condensors, small condensors, and
sm57s. Since I record a limited number or instruments these have
worked quite well for me. I'm currently looking for something to
polish the vocal sound. Suggestions are welcome.

Malachi

I have a track posted on Soundclick in which I used a Studio Projects T3 for
the female vocal. I ran it through an original Joemeek VC1Q preamp, and
into a Digi002/Pro Tools LE.

It's called "The Speedo Limit" and you can listen to it he

http://www.soundclick.com/artist/8/j...ntes_music.htm

This should give you an idea of what this mic sounds like. I love mine. (In
the platonic sense, of course)

(To the group: my apologies if it's a breach of etiquette to post a link
like this in here. Just wanted this guy to hear the mic.)

malachi

wrote in message
oups.com...
To JP:

Thanks for the reply. I have never used a tube mic, mostly my
experience is with inexpensive large condensors, small condensors, and
sm57s. Since I record a limited number or instruments these have
worked quite well for me. I'm currently looking for something to
polish the vocal sound. Suggestions are welcome.

Ricky Hunt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi and thanks for the replys. By Fuzz, I guess maybe fizz or sizzle
would have been a better word. What I'm referring to is a nice
detailed sound around 4k, and a nice smooth but not boomy low end.

Thanks again.

Not sure about the T3 but I have a C1 and it's EXTREMELY bright. But I'm
guessing you want smooth and bright which I would not characterize the C1
as. Don't limit yourself to "toob" or even condenser mics.

Zigakly

I'm looking for a condensor mic mainly for male pop and folk vocals. I
haven't read a lot about the T3 but a lot of the other mics from studio
projects get great reviews. I really need something with that nice
tube fuzz sound, but i don't want anything annoyingly bright on the
top. A mic that smooths out nasal sounds would be a nice bonus.

SP T3 good for this? Any other suggestions (in the sub $500 price
range).

Studio Projects use Chinese-made diaphrams, like many other budget brands, I
would expect it to perform no better than the cheaper Apex and Nady ones
(same mic, different label and price). If you can live without the
multi-pattern feature, the Rode NTK certainly outclasses the Apex 460.

Malachi

I have two, and they sound nothing like the parade of crap microphones from
China, notwithstanding the fact that they are manufactured at the same
factory.

PMI Audio designed these mics and hired 797 audio in China to produce them.

Don't take my word for it, google some reviews. Better yet, buy a C1 and
try it yourself. The only thing "budget" about SP mics are the prices.

malachi

"Zigakly" wrote in message

Studio Projects use Chinese-made diaphrams, like many other budget brands,
would expect it to perform no better than the cheaper Apex and Nady ones
(same mic, different label and price). If you can live without the
multi-pattern feature, the Rode NTK certainly outclasses the Apex 460.

Ricky Hunt

"Zigakly" wrote in message

Studio Projects use Chinese-made diaphrams, like many other budget brands,
would expect it to perform no better than the cheaper Apex and Nady ones
(same mic, different label and price). If you can live without the
multi-pattern feature, the Rode NTK certainly outclasses the Apex 460.

While I don't agree with some who claim the SP mics are "indistinguishable
from the high-end brands" they are much above the
Apex/Nady/average-Chinese-knockoff. They are very good mics for the money.

Thanks. I think i will try some soon.