Jay Kadis

Default The worst job in audio

I just heard a BBC interview on NPR that reported on a "reality" radio show from
Belgrade, Serbia. The premise was to have politicians drive cabs and discuss
politics with their fares. The cab was wired for sound and the technician rode
in the trunk. Apparently he threw up after the first show. Not surprising, as
he was in a Fiat trunk on a tour around Belgrade for several hours.

That has to be the worst audio job in the world.

-Jay
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x

dt king

"Dave" wrote in message
ink.net...
Couldn't they have just put some wireless transmitters on the mics, and

have
the audio guy in a follow car?

Follow a cab in Belgrade? They're probably recording on a vintage
Yugoslavian army transcription machine.

--
dt king
www.thoughtdog.com

kooz

Poor guy must be fresh out of school to take a gig like that!
I wonder what exactly made him ill? was it the close quarters, the
Carbon Monoxide, bad driving or the conversation?
-kooz

Jay Kadis wrote in message ...
I just heard a BBC interview on NPR that reported on a "reality" radio show from
Belgrade, Serbia. The premise was to have politicians drive cabs and discuss
politics with their fares. The cab was wired for sound and the technician rode
in the trunk. Apparently he threw up after the first show. Not surprising, as
he was in a Fiat trunk on a tour around Belgrade for several hours.

That has to be the worst audio job in the world.

-Jay

hollywood_steve

Jay Kadis wrote in message ...
I just heard a BBC interview on NPR that reported on a "reality" radio show from
Belgrade, Serbia. The premise was to have politicians drive cabs and discuss
politics with their fares. The cab was wired for sound and the technician rode
in the trunk. Apparently he threw up after the first show. Not surprising, as
he was in a Fiat trunk on a tour around Belgrade for several hours.

That has to be the worst audio job in the world.

-Jay

I heard that as well. My first thought was that he got sick from
carbon monoxide poisoning, not the bumpy ride. Either way, not a job
I'd want. I gagged on my soda when the politician they were talking
to said with reference to the tech in the trunk; "Iz not problem, he
is wery short"

steve

Mike

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:28:31 -0700, Jay Kadis wrote:

I just heard a BBC interview on NPR that reported on a "reality" radio show from
Belgrade, Serbia. The premise was to have politicians drive cabs and discuss
politics with their fares. The cab was wired for sound and the technician rode
in the trunk. Apparently he threw up after the first show. Not surprising, as
he was in a Fiat trunk on a tour around Belgrade for several hours.

Geez. I damn near puke just listening to GB try to complete a sentence. How
much worse could the trunk of a Zil be?

Mike

Marc Wielage

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:28:31 -0700, Jay Kadis wrote:

The cab was wired for sound and the technician rode
in the trunk. Apparently he threw up after the first show.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

I'm not surprised Over on the rec.arts.movies.production.sound, the location
sound people over there SCREAM when anybody suggests they ride in the trunk.
They've told some harrowing tales about sound people being shaken up and
(potentially) hurt by rough rides in trunks. Virtually none of them will do
it any more, and I understand why.

It makes infinitely more sense to tow the car with a camera car and let the
sound man ride there, with the camera operator. Or in the case of a
sound-only production, get a big cab and have the guy ride up front. Or at
worst, use radio mikes and have him in a car following close behind.

--MFW

Charles Tomaras

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
[...]

The reality of car work like this is that there isn't much you can do once
the recording starts anyways. For two people split tracks I just check the
levels, put in a two hour DAT, hit the red button, close the trunk and tell
them to be back in a couple of hours. Why lay in the trunk with the
recorder? You certainly won't be slating takes or writing notes. I'd much
rather log a tape for two hours than lay in a trunk for two hours.

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA

Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:56:21 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
wrote:

The reality of car work like this is that there isn't much you can do once
the recording starts anyways. For two people split tracks I just check the
levels, put in a two hour DAT, hit the red button, close the trunk and tell
them to be back in a couple of hours. Why lay in the trunk with the
recorder? You certainly won't be slating takes or writing notes. I'd much
rather log a tape for two hours than lay in a trunk for two hours.

I'm just wrapping a season supporting our house band: conductor,
fiddle, and bass fiddle from Krackow, two synth keyboardists from
Bulgaria (and percussion from an original Ozark Mountain Daredevils).

Maybe it's just that these East European musicians are too young and
too talented to know better, but Damn Sam, they're hard workers,
fatally beautiful, and Party Animals.

I hate young people.

What's the worst job? I dunno. Maybe: anything else?

Chris Hornbeck

Geoff Wood

Marc Wielage wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:28:31 -0700, Jay Kadis wrote:

The cab was wired for sound and the technician rode
in the trunk. Apparently he threw up after the first show.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

I'm not surprised Over on the rec.arts.movies.production.sound, the
location sound people over there SCREAM when anybody suggests they
ride in the trunk. They've told some harrowing tales about sound
people being shaken up and (potentially) hurt by rough rides in
trunks.

.... not to mention being forgotten at knock-off time on Friday afternoon.

geoff

Geoff Wood

kooz wrote:
Poor guy must be fresh out of school to take a gig like that!
I wonder what exactly made him ill? was it the close quarters, the
Carbon Monoxide, bad driving or the conversation?

Probably the 4 bottle of Schlivervitz (?) that he scoffed to pass them time.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

What's the worst job? I dunno. Maybe: anything else?

Sound-dude for Reality Sewers TV series ?

geoff

Geoff Wood

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

What's the worst job? I dunno. Maybe: anything else?

Sound-dude for Reality Sewers TV series ?

geoff

Vladan

Jay Kadis wrote in message ...
I just heard a BBC interview on NPR that reported on a "reality" radio show from
Belgrade, Serbia. The premise was to have politicians drive cabs and discuss
politics with their fares. The cab was wired for sound and the technician rode
in the trunk.

Did cameraman puke aswell?

Let's get some things streight. Taxi in question is free. No fares.
Not only pioliticians drive it, but also sportists, journalists, ...
The car is biggish, almost minibus type of vehicle. Passangers get
lavs clamped to their clothes. Drivers do that. Cameras are under the
steering wheel and above the windsheeld. Maybe one more, but who
cares. Ther's separate tech car following the TAXI one.

I think, whoever told you what you've heard lied for whatever reason,
cociously, or not.