Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
Gill Smith Gill Smith is offline

Default audio quality of pop videos

video 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAG3hJ50_Vc

video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNLsC_Y9Oo

is it just me, or is the audio quality of 1 much better than 2?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/
Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro

Gill Smith wrote:

video 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAG3hJ50_Vc

video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNLsC_Y9Oo

is it just me, or is the audio quality of 1 much better than 2?

1 works better on lappies own loudspeakers than 2. It might not fare quite
as well on good loudspeakers as it sounds aphexy and liSSping, even if it
doeS come acroSS aS open and up fronT.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
video 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAG3hJ50_Vc

video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNLsC_Y9Oo

is it just me, or is the audio quality of 1 much better than 2?

Does it really matter?

Poly

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro

On 6 June, 15:50, "polymod" wrote:
"Gill Smith" wrote in message

video 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAG3hJ50_Vc

video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNLsC_Y9Oo

is it just me, or is the audio quality of 1 much better than 2?

Does it really matter?

does to me

my stuff with Cubase5 sounds not a lot different from video 2

but I can't get anything like the quality/attributes of 1

- going by what I hear through headphones and my (admittedly lousy)
speakers

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/
Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Gill Smith wrote:

my stuff with Cubase5 sounds not a lot different from video 2

but I can't get anything like the quality/attributes of 1

- going by what I hear through headphones and my (admittedly lousy)
speakers

Both of those videos have severe compression artifacts courtesy of Youtube.

So... is your problem with Cubase5 to do with your mixes not sounding good
to you, or to do with compression artifacts when you export it somewhere?

Because in the case of those two sample videos, the compression artifacts
are what first jump out at me.

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro

On 6 June, 16:20, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Gill Smith wrote:

my stuff with Cubase5 sounds not a lot different from video 2

but I can't get anything like the quality/attributes of 1

- going by what I hear through headphones and my (admittedly lousy)
speakers

Both of those videos have severe compression artifacts courtesy of Youtube.

So... is your problem with Cubase5 to do with your mixes not sounding good
to you, or to do with compression artifacts when you export it somewhere?

Because in the case of those two sample videos, the compression artifacts
are what first jump out at me.

OK, here's the thing:

http://www.pyramidmusic.com/Home.php5

click on the jukebox at the top left for his music samples

this to me is something of a gold standard: crisp and clear,
throughout the whole musical spectrum

this has to be really, really, *really* expensive software, which is
able to sound like real audio waves
which have been recorded

I am in no position to record genuine instruments

all my sounds (apart from vocals) have to generated on a computer

but the best I can do is the sort of musical mush I hear on video 2

this will dictate the style of songs I intend to plug with my demos

(yep, Barry White's "My First, My Last, My Everything" was a country
song...)

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/
Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
On 6 June, 15:50, "polymod" wrote:
"Gill Smith" wrote in message

video 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAG3hJ50_Vc

video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNLsC_Y9Oo

is it just me, or is the audio quality of 1 much better than 2?

Does it really matter?

does to me

my stuff with Cubase5 sounds not a lot different from video 2

but I can't get anything like the quality/attributes of 1

- going by what I hear through headphones and my (admittedly lousy)
speakers

My apologies. Now I understand, but it's tough to hear "quality" when
dealing with youtoob videos.

Poly

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
On 6 June, 15:50, "polymod" wrote:
"Gill Smith" wrote in message

video 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAG3hJ50_Vc

video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNLsC_Y9Oo

is it just me, or is the audio quality of 1 much better than 2?

Does it really matter?

does to me

my stuff with Cubase5 sounds not a lot different from video 2

but I can't get anything like the quality/attributes of 1

- going by what I hear through headphones and my (admittedly lousy)
speakers

Ah...My apologies. Now I understand, but it's really tough to hear "quality"
when
dealing with youtoob videos.

Poly

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro

Gill Smith wrote:
OK, here's the thing:

http://www.pyramidmusic.com/Home.php5

click on the jukebox at the top left for his music samples

this to me is something of a gold standard: crisp and clear,
throughout the whole musical spectrum

As`it's a demo, I'd want it to be clear. The samples I listened to,
though, are like "lift music", bass and rhythm heavy with no real
dynamics and are, I'd say, not real instruments. The film samples aren't
much better.

this has to be really, really, *really* expensive software, which is
able to sound like real audio waves
which have been recorded

You could do what he's done in a full version of Cubase. The limits are
the ability of the user, with, possibly the purchase of some better
soundbanks for the VST instruments, or better instruments.

I am in no position to record genuine instruments

all my sounds (apart from vocals) have to generated on a computer

You and many others.

but the best I can do is the sort of musical mush I hear on video 2

The sounds heard on both the Youtube clips you linked to are, I would
say, exactly as the performers intended them to sound within the limits
of Youtube sound. The first is a minimally produced, well recorded and
performed piece. The second is a very "produced" piece which sounds like
just about any piece performed by such artistes. I'd say the first might
even have been recorded "live" with minimal editing, and I'd guess not
many tracks (8? 16? I'd use 8 and very few effects.), while the second
has been compiled from loops and studio sessions like a jigsaw puzzle,
using as many tracks and effects as could be fitted into the session.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"polymod" wrote in message

Ah...My apologies. Now I understand, but it's really tough to hear
"quality" when
dealing with youtoob videos.

Poly

Are you sure ?!!!

geoff

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

"polymod" wrote in message

Ah...My apologies. Now I understand, but it's really tough to hear
"quality" when
dealing with youtoob videos.

Poly

Are you sure ?!!!

In the words of Maxwell Smart: Sorry about that chief!

Poly

Posted to rec.music.makers.songwriting,rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

the biggest difference between 1 and 2 is the DYNAMIC range
compression. (not the bit rate compression)

Video 2 is excessively squashed. But as someone said, that may be the
sound the producer wanted, G-d only knows why.

Mark