1,2,3 and to the 4ohm

Default Wiring options

Hello, i just got a new syatem and am not sure on the best way to wire
it. I have the DEI 600D and 2 Audiobahn AW1200Q subs. The subs can be
ran down to 2ohms but the amp is 1ohm stable. I want to get the most
amount of power out of it b/c the subs can supposedly handle 1400
watts, if im only running a 2ohm load that would give me 200rms to each
sub, right? Now the amp is internally paralelled or whatever so any
help on this would be great because i really dont want to blow the subs
or the amp, i hear these amps are really good and really hard to come
by so i dont want to lose that for sure. Thanks

Tony F

Do the subs have dual 4-ohm voice coils? If the amp is truly stable to 1
ohm, why don't you wire the subs in parallel for a 1-ohm load? Mind you, I
know nothing about that amp in particular, but DEI makes some good amps and
if it's 1-ohm stable...

Anyone else?

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

ups.com...

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm wrote:
Hello, i just got a new syatem and am not sure on the best way to

wire
it. I have the DEI 600D and 2 Audiobahn AW1200Q subs. The subs can be
ran down to 2ohms but the amp is 1ohm stable. I want to get the most
amount of power out of it b/c the subs can supposedly handle 1400
watts, if im only running a 2ohm load that would give me 200rms to

each
sub, right? Now the amp is internally paralelled or whatever so any
help on this would be great because i really dont want to blow the

subs
or the amp, i hear these amps are really good and really hard to come
by so i dont want to lose that for sure. Thanks

If you wanna the noise around 1400 watts, it's good chance that you
might
destory your amp or sub or both. There is no way you can maintain
amp around 1400 watts. It will be neither sub or amp blowing out soon.
1400 watts is a monsterous noise that you might awake up the whole
neighbor! The solution is keep the noise down. You do not have
to join the street booming competition.

MZ

If you wanna the noise around 1400 watts, it's good chance that you
might
destory your amp or sub or both. There is no way you can maintain
amp around 1400 watts. It will be neither sub or amp blowing out soon.
1400 watts is a monsterous noise that you might awake up the whole
neighbor! The solution is keep the noise down. You do not have
to join the street booming competition.

Please do not take this troll's advice.

AntiSpammer

:P

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm wrote:
[...]

I'm not trying to run 1400 watts, i just want to maximize the power
that the amp can produce, 600rms/1200max, and if i run it at 2Ohms i
would be getting 800TOTAL watts and the subs can handle up to 1400
watts, thats why i would like to see if there is a way to wire DUAL
4OHM subs and make the amp see a 1Ohm load so i can get the max power
out of it, and of course without blowing the whole thing up in the
process. Also i have another question, the amp has 2 60amp fuses on it,
i was wondering if i should get a 60 or 70 amp fuse for the battery.
Thanks again!

MOSFET

lol
You crack me up, MZ:
"Please do not take this Troll's advice"
"Please do not respond to my posts"

MOSFET

mmdir2.. must die, and i volunteer to be the eradicator

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm wrote:
wrote:
1,2,3 and to the 4ohm wrote:
[...]

Are you so ignorant on electrornic stuff? Fuse has nothing to do with
power delivery. Fuse is just a protection wire in order to protect the
device. YOu put the high rating fuse you defintely going to blow the
device. WARNING: NEVER PUT THE HIGHER RATING FUSE!

KicRocs

OK, Im assuming you have 2 subs that are dual 4ohm voice coils. On the
first sub wire the two positive together. Then wire the two negatives
together. The sub now see's half the load which is now 2ohms. Do the
same thing to the second sub. Now connect the positive wire from the
first sub to the second sub positive. Now connect the negative the same
way. Now your subs see 1ohm.

--
KicRocs
KicRocs's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33359

MOSFET

Are you so ignorant on electrornic stuff? Fuse has nothing to do with
power delivery. Fuse is just a protection wire in order to protect the
device. YOu put the high rating fuse you defintely going to blow the
device. WARNING: NEVER PUT THE HIGHER RATING FUSE!

Mmdir2002, I would refrain from calling anyone ignorant. Again, the irony
here of YOU wondering if someone else is ignorant on "electronic stuff" is
just too much to bare.

MOSFET

Scott Gardner

On 1 Mar 2005 11:18:34 -0800, "1,2,3 and to the 4ohm"

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm wrote:
[...]

Actually, if you have two 60-amp fuses in the amplifier, I would use
at least a 120-amp fuse near the battery. The size of the fuse near
the battery doesn't have anything to do with protecting the amplifier
- it's just to protect the wiring. In case of excessive current, as
long as the fuse near the battery blows before the main power wire
becomes damaged, it's done its job. If you pick a battery fuse that's
too small, like 60- or 70-amps, you may end up repeatedly blowing the
battery fuse, just because of the current requirements of the amp.

Scott Gardner

Tony F

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm wrote: "thats why i would like to see if there is a
way to wire DUAL 4OHM subs and make the amp see a 1Ohm load"

Yes, there is. See he http://www.bcae1.com
Go to #58, "Series/Parallel Impedance" and there are multiple examples to
choose from. In your case, the specific example you need to follow is how
to wire two speakers with dual 2 ohm voice coils to get a 1/2 ohm load.
Same setup you need to use, just differnent values.

Tony

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm wrote:
[...]

Fuse does not protecting the wire. Fuse is for protecting the device.

Just read the manual of amplifier what it says about the fuse rating.

Vestax05pro

FUSE IS TO PROTECT THE WIRE FROM CATCHING ON FIRE. Whoever said the
primary function of a fuse to protect your equipment is talking out of
their a$$. Please learn ohms law and come back with a more educated
answer.

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541

Vestax05pro

MZ Wrote:
Never put the higher rating fuse!
[/color]

So if an amp was 50 feet away from the battery versus an amp 2 feet
away would draw the same amount of current? What happen to resistance?

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541

Vestax05pro

Electronic stuff? Nice way to put it......
And don't mean to be a grammar nazi but it's even harder to take you
seriously with "electronric". WTF is a electronric. Or would that be
electromagnetism and physics? Which you probably haven't taken in
college? Please GTFO and stop being an idiot.

MZ Wrote:
Are you so ignorant on electronric stuff?

"Vestax05pro" wrote in
message
news:1109794960.724cd04fda7037e1f97e98493ba71c27@t eranews...

MZ Wrote:
Never put the higher rating fuse!

So if an amp was 50 feet away from the battery versus an amp 2 feet
away would draw the same amount of current? What happen to

resistance?

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541
[/color]

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541

Vestax05pro

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm Wrote:
ok i understand what u are saying in all, but the sub manufacturer says
that the subs can only be operated at 2 or 8 ohms. so wouldnt that
hurt
the subs making them go lower than they are supposed to? I dont know,
maybe they can be maybe they cant be., thanks for the post hope to
keep
getting more feedback from knowledgable people!

Rule of thumb, you must take account the length and thickness of wire
when fusing at the battery. If the amplifier is pulling 60 amps of
current, then it would be safe to go with at least a 4 awg with a run
of over 12 feet. But like Scott Gardner said, you should go with a
bigger fuse on the inline fuse at the battery due to more amperage draw
and resistance in the wire.

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541

Vestax05pro

MZ Wrote:
Why don't you put a soup on your head and ride a bike, moron?

"Vestax05pro" wrote in
message
news:1109805754.b83b17cf744f0d36783ce6b04289bbff@t eranews...

MZ Wrote:
Never put the higher rating fuse!

So if an amp was 50 feet away from the battery versus an amp 2

feet
away would draw the same amount of current? What happen to
resistance?

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts

online!

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541
[/color]

Why don't you put a cork in your a$$ so you can stfu, halfwit?

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541

Vestax05pro

MZ Wrote:
Rule of thumb, you must take account the length and thickness of wire
when fusing at the battery. If the amplifier is pulling 60 amps of
current, then it would be safe to go with at least a 4 awg with a

run
of over 12 feet. But like Scott Gardner said, you should go with a
bigger fuse on the inline fuse at the battery due to more amperage

draw
and resistance in the wire.

Actually, the length of the wire doesn't matter when determining the
proper
size fuse. It's not the resistance of the wire that's the issue, but
rather
the resistance per unit length (or, even more accurately, resistance
per
unit surface area). This is because ultimately we're dealing with
heat
dissipation as the factor governing what a wire can handle.

Thanks for the regurgitation. And now that you explain nothing, so
you're saying it's better to put a 60 amp fuse on the inline batt for
an amp installed in the trunk of a limo drawing 60 amps? You haven't
worked in a shop have you?

--
Vestax05pro

Vestax05pro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=7766
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541

KicRocs

The manufacturer is only stating that one sub is capable of 2ohm or
8ohm. When you combine subs together the ohms will be different. This
will not damage the subs. What will damage the subs is if your amp is
not capable of handling the ohms you wire your subs to. This can damage
subs and amps. Thats why you need to make sure your amp can handle a
1ohm load. Look at the specs of your amp. You'll see the lower the ohm
the more power you get from the amp. That is what most people try to
achieve.

--
KicRocs
KicRocs's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33359
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=212541

1,2,3 and to the 4ohm

i meant it has 2 30amp fuses, my bad.

MZ

Thanks for the regurgitation. And now that you explain nothing, so
you're saying it's better to put a 60 amp fuse on the inline batt for
an amp installed in the trunk of a limo drawing 60 amps?

No. I'm saying if the wire can only handle 60 amps, then a 60 amp fuse
should be used. The length of the wire is completely irrelevant. It does
not change the current-handling capacity of the wire.

Scott Gardner

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:11:09 +0000, Vestax05pro
wrote:

MZ Wrote:
Why don't you put a soup on your head and ride a bike, moron?

"Vestax05pro" wrote in
message
news:1109805754.b83b17cf744f0d36783ce6b04289bbff@t eranews...

Electronic stuff? Nice way to put it......
And don't mean to be a grammar nazi but it's even harder to take you
seriously with "electronric". WTF is a electronric. Or would that be
electromagnetism and physics? Which you probably haven't taken in
college? Please GTFO and stop being an idiot.

Lol - MZ is one of the more knowledgeable posters in this group, and
his mastery of both spelling and grammar is fine. His fractured
English in this thread is a joke on another poster that's been making
a pest of himself on here recently.

Scott
MOSFET

Actually, the length of the wire doesn't matter when determining the
proper
size fuse. It's not the resistance of the wire that's the issue, but

rather
the resistance per unit length (or, even more accurately, resistance per
unit surface area). This is because ultimately we're dealing with heat
dissipation as the factor governing what a wire can handle.

Wait a sec MZ. The length of a given wire WOULD effect voltage, right?
Longer runs cause larger losses of voltage. So, if you had a very long run
and your voltage dropped considerably, wouldn't you need more amperage to
maintain a given wattage (Ohm's law)? So, length of wire WOULD effect
amperage. Is my reasoning flawed?

MOSFET

MZ

Actually, the length of the wire doesn't matter when determining the
proper
size fuse. It's not the resistance of the wire that's the issue, but

rather
the resistance per unit length (or, even more accurately, resistance per
unit surface area). This is because ultimately we're dealing with heat
dissipation as the factor governing what a wire can handle.

Wait a sec MZ. The length of a given wire WOULD effect voltage, right?
Longer runs cause larger losses of voltage.

Exactly right.

So, if you had a very long run
and your voltage dropped considerably, wouldn't you need more amperage to
maintain a given wattage (Ohm's law)? So, length of wire WOULD effect
amperage. Is my reasoning flawed?

This would be true only if today's amplifiers were fully regulated and that
they were perfectly capable of maintaining their power output despite
fluctuations in the supply voltage. But most amplifiers today are only
semi-regulated, and what you find is that the power output decreases as the
supply voltage decreases. As a result, the current draw is technically
lower with higher resistance wire.

But all this doesn't matter, really. Fusing depends only on the properties
of the wire - how much current the amp draws is irrelevant because fusing is
done to protect the wire. The internal fuse protects the amplifier.

Scott Gardner

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:02:20 -0800, "MOSFET"
wrote:

Actually, the length of the wire doesn't matter when determining the

proper
size fuse. It's not the resistance of the wire that's the issue, but

rather
the resistance per unit length (or, even more accurately, resistance per
unit surface area). This is because ultimately we're dealing with heat
dissipation as the factor governing what a wire can handle.

Wait a sec MZ. The length of a given wire WOULD effect voltage, right?
Longer runs cause larger losses of voltage. So, if you had a very long run
and your voltage dropped considerably, wouldn't you need more amperage to
maintain a given wattage (Ohm's law)? So, length of wire WOULD effect
amperage. Is my reasoning flawed?

MOSFET

The reduced voltage from a longer run will only cause the current to
increase if you have a regulated power supply in the amplifier. But
it doesn't matter anyway - Mark's right - the current-carrying
capacity of a wire isn't affected by the wire's length.

Let's say that 4ga wire can safely carry 135 amps of current. That's
going to stay the same whether you're talking about a two-foot run or
a twenty-foot run. That's why the current-capacity charts for wires
don't specify a standard run length.

Since the fuse near the battery for the main power lead is only to
protect the wiring, you just have to make sure that you use a fuse
that will blow before the wire is damaged. In this case, a 135-amp
fuse or breaker would do the trick.

BTW, voltage losses in the main power wire are pretty much negligible
anyway. To continue to use 4ga wire as an example, the resistance of
4ga is about a quarter-ohm **per thousand feet**. This means that
even if you had a twenty-foot run length of 4 ga wire and ran 135 amps
of current through it, you're only talking about a voltage drop of a
little more than half a volt. An amplifier with any kind of
regulation in the power supply won't even notice a drop that small.

Scott Gardner

Thor Lancelot Simon

Scott Gardner wrote:

Since the fuse near the battery for the main power lead is only to
protect the wiring, you just have to make sure that you use a fuse
that will blow before the wire is damaged. In this case, a 135-amp
fuse or breaker would do the trick.

That's not the _only_ thing to worry about. In practice, it's far safer
to use a fuse of equal or lesser rating to the fuses at the far end: you
cannot need _more_ current, after all (and if you have multiple fused
devices at the far end, in practice they will almost certainly never
present maximum draw at exactly the same time), and a fuse of lesser
rating at the battery will blow sooner if the wire is physically
damaged, which is a real concern. A 2ga wire going through a grommet
at the firewall that some later idiot knocks out of place is a lot
less likely to start a fire if fused for the devices at the far end than
if fused for the theoretical capacity of the wire (in practice, if you
really _need_ 2ga because of the current draw, you're going to get a
fire anyway if the insulation is damaged and it shorts to something,
but you know what I mean).

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

Scott Gardner wrote:
On 1 Mar 2005 23:35:14 -0800, wrote:

Fuse does not protecting the wire. Fuse is for protecting the

device.

Just read the manual of amplifier what it says about the fuse

rating.

Red Cloud (I'm going to start calling you by your old nickname, since
it's easier to type than
),

You really have no business giving advice in this group. Some day,
someone is going to follow your silly advice and get hurt or set fire
to their car.

The fuse near the battery in the main power wire is NOT to protect

the
amplifier, it's to protect the wiring. The reason is, if you don't
have a fuse in the main power wire and any part of it shorts to
ground, the main power wire will catch fire.

That's why you put the fuse in the main power wire as close to the
battery as you can, so that the part of the wire that isn't protected
by the fuse (the part of the wire between the battery and the fuse)

is
as short as possible.

The amplifier is protected by its own fuses. The fuse near the

battery
is ONLY for protecting the wiring.

Scott Gardner

Scott Gardner,
There is no such electronic theory of fuse protecting a wire.
NO electronic class taught such misleading theory.
The fuse is required from the power source to protecting the
electronic
device, and make sure that the current is not higher than required
by device. The fuse of car amplifier is only fuse you need to
protect
the amplifier from the battery. What you have is you got a fuse for
amplifier and another fuse for wi Sound very stupid.
IN other word, you have two fuse in a serial wiring. That is so
awful setting. I've never heard of connecting one fuse and after
another.
That is so stupid. YOu are so stupid.

MOSFET

wrote in message
oups.com...
Scott Gardner,
There is no such electronic theory of fuse protecting a wire.
NO electronic class taught such misleading theory.
The fuse is required from the power source to protecting the
electronic
device, and make sure that the current is not higher than required
by device. The fuse of car amplifier is only fuse you need to
protect
the amplifier from the battery. What you have is you got a fuse for
amplifier and another fuse for wi Sound very stupid.
IN other word, you have two fuse in a serial wiring. That is so
awful setting. I've never heard of connecting one fuse and after
another.
That is so stupid. YOu are so stupid.

I really can't believe I'm wasting my time responding to you....

Mmdir2002 (or Red Cloud, or whatever), we have all given you many reasons
why the power cable to an amp is fused at the battery, and I'm not going to
go through it again. I have to think that you are just yanking all of our
chains as you could easily research this yourself and know that WE are
right.

Why do you do this? Please leave and go somewhere else.

MOSFET

MOSFET

I will ask a simple question, and try to make it easy for you to
understand. If you have a power wire going from the battery to the
amplifier, and the only fuse is at the amplifier, what happens if any
part of the power wire shorts to ground?

Mmdir2002, if you cannot answer this simple question, you have no business
answering questions in this group.

You have more one chance with me because I sense in some of your posts you
are truly trying to help (though most here think you are hopeless). Please
think carefully before answering. Thank you.

MOSFET

Scott Gardner wrote:
On 2 Mar 2005 20:05:07 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Then that only fuse of the amplifier will be cut off.

That's right, you moron - the wire will burn through and the
insulation will catch fire. Your car will probably catch fire, too.
THAT is why any installer with a brain in his head puts a fuse in the
main power wire, right next to the battery.

Scott Gardner

Let me play a devil advocate here. What you saying is you put
another fuse at the battery (the power source), there are two
ways power wire will cut off from the power source: 1) short it 2)
higher current. #1 is very obvious. You forgot the #2. The fuse
prevents from higher current to flow to the amplifier. But since
there is another fuse at the amplier, you don't need another fuse.
You only need one fuse to protect the amplifers. If you put a higher
rating fuse at the battery, this fuse will not protect the amplifier
because it does not operate at the amplifier's fuse rating
recommendation. Your thoery is nonsense. But I don't need
your theory because my amplifer is not connected to the battery.

To connect the Amplifer or a CD unit directly to the battery is like
a touch the burning fire with a bare hand.