Steve Grauman

Default JL Audio 300/4 is this a bad amp?

I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die, burnout, and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of their
stuff, especially the 300/4?
sanitarium

they are top notch amps IMHO. Where is he getting his information from?
Does he have any prior first hand experience? Let me guess... he
doesn't sell JL, or is recommending something more expensive?

Garrett

Steve Grauman wrote:
I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die, burnout, and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

sanitarium

Are there ANY honest sales goons in this industry? I am becoming very
jaded / biased, and would like to think there is just a little honesty
left in our wonderfull hobby.

I dont recall this much dishonesty 10 years ago when I was competing in
IASCA events... maybe I was just oblivious to it.

Garrett

Paul Vina wrote:
I own a 300/4 and it kicks ass. Let me guess, the installer's store didn't
carry JL and wanted you to buy something else.

Paul Vina

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message

I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die, burnout,

and

do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

clibert

Let me guess, the installer you talked to is a shop that doesn't carry JL
amps. JL amps are nice amps, obviously they aren't quite Butler audio,
Zapco competiotion, or Brax but they are nice amps

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die, burnout,

and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

Douglas Conder

They are suppose to be awesome but, I did indeed have my 300/4 that was bad.
The right channel, front output went bad. 3-4 weeks and $100 later, seems
to be good as new. I have another 300/4 that is acting up. I am hoping it
is just the wiring.

Douglas

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die, burnout,

and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

Brandon Buckner

I do remember a thread about the JL amps a while back about someone
having tons of quality control issues. I think it was 9 months to a year
ago. Can't remember who though. Might do a google groups search.

Brandonb

Steve Grauman wrote:
I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die, burnout, and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

steve

Steve Grauman wrote:

I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die, burnout, and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

My first one smoked the first time I cranked it good, however the
replacment has been working faithfuly for over 2 years.

There's always some percent of bad product that will make it past QC, no
matter who makes them. That's where customer support makes the
difference. Just make sure that you're dealing with a place that won't
give you a hard time if there's a problem with whatever you buy.
Paul Vina

Are there ANY honest sales goons in this industry?

I was one. Most customers think salespeople are shady because their
opinions on good and bad equipment usually comes from experience and not
what the his buddies think is best or what they're told is best.

I am becoming very
jaded / biased, and would like to think there is just a little honesty
left in our wonderfull hobby.

Somtimes you need to look a little harder, but old fashioned, honest people
and shops are still out there.

I dont recall this much dishonesty 10 years ago when I was competing in
IASCA events... maybe I was just oblivious to it.

10 years ago there was less of a *business* mentality and more of a "just
have fun" attitude. Not really any more or less honest, just more fun.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

If you had the same problem with two amps I'd be looking for a bad speaker
or speaker wiring. I'd bet you have a speaker that's bad or is shorting to
ground.

Paul Vina

"Douglas Conder" wrote in message
k.net...
They are suppose to be awesome but, I did indeed have my 300/4 that was

bad.
The right channel, front output went bad. 3-4 weeks and $100 later,

seems
to be good as new. I have another 300/4 that is acting up. I am hoping

it
is just the wiring.

Douglas

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die,

burnout,
and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of

their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

Paul Vina

I would easily put them in the same league as a Brax or Zapco. Why do you
think they shouldn't be? Don't say "their not as good" either, that's not a
real reason.

Paul Vina

"clibert" wrote in message
m...
Let me guess, the installer you talked to is a shop that doesn't carry JL
amps. JL amps are nice amps, obviously they aren't quite Butler audio,
Zapco competiotion, or Brax but they are nice amps

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die,

burnout,
and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of

their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

dconder

2 amps but, in 2 different vehicles. I have not narrowed the latest problem
down yet. May have nothing to do with the amp. The wife calls and says the
music shuts off for no reason so, I have to do some inspecting on it.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Grauman

Let me guess... he
doesn't sell JL, or is recommending something more expensive?

Technically, he sells everything. While he doesn't keep a back-stock of JL
Product, he *can* get them. But yea, he's trying to sell me on a US Amps unit.
Either a $900 "standard" amp or a $1,200 tube amp unit. He keeps giving me the
speech about how much the tube amp "warms" the sound and makes it so "full". I
guess he didn't understand when I told him 6 times I wasn't looking for
anything that was going to color or distort the sound. He also wants to sell me
a Morel speaker system....
Steve Grauman

JL amps are nice amps, obviously they aren't quite Butler audio,
Zapco competiotion, or Brax but they are nice amps

Other than the fact that a Zapco Competition Series is going to have less
distortion than the JL (almost worthless anyway, anything below 0.10% THD is
inaudbile to the human ear), what makes any of those amps "better" than the JL?
It's amazing how slaes people can go on and on about how their product is the
"best", and then never back the statement up with *why* it's the best.

clibert

Well faster slew rate, higher damping factor are the only things I can think
of that can be measured. On the Zapco instruments seem to have more air
around them, the soundstage sounds larger and the presentation sounds warmer
and more laid back to me (this is my friends Zapco C2K 6.0x hooked up to my
system)

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
JL amps are nice amps, obviously they aren't quite Butler audio,
Zapco competiotion, or Brax but they are nice amps

Other than the fact that a Zapco Competition Series is going to have less
distortion than the JL (almost worthless anyway, anything below 0.10% THD

is
inaudbile to the human ear), what makes any of those amps "better" than

the JL?
It's amazing how slaes people can go on and on about how their product is

the
"best", and then never back the statement up with *why* it's the best.

sanitarium

IMHO US amps are great. If you can hear the difference and feel they
are worth the extra $$$ then by all means go for it. I dont believe
they are really tube power amps. They are tube / solid state hybrids.
They use 12AX7/AU7/AT7 preamp tubes to color the preamp signal and that
colored signal is amplified through a mosfet power stage. Unless US
amps makes an EL34 / EL84 power tube based circuit that I am unaware
of...? Even if they did use firebottles for the power stage, it would
most likely use a solid state rectifier.

I am a guitar player, and tubes are vital to the tone equation. I could
go into detail but wont bore you any further.

IMHO hes a prick for trying to push components onto you that you dont
want... **6 TIMES** ???

Tell him to back off and to give you time to use YOUR ears and make YOUR
decision. Give him a chance though, listen to the morel speakers and
use your ears to form an oppinion and stick to that.

IMHO its time for you to go to another shop... but thats MY oppinion :~)

Garrett

Steve Grauman wrote:
Let me guess... he
doesn't sell JL, or is recommending something more expensive?

Technically, he sells everything. While he doesn't keep a back-stock of JL
Product, he *can* get them. But yea, he's trying to sell me on a US Amps unit.
Either a $900 "standard" amp or a $1,200 tube amp unit. He keeps giving me the
speech about how much the tube amp "warms" the sound and makes it so "full". I
guess he didn't understand when I told him 6 times I wasn't looking for
anything that was going to color or distort the sound. He also wants to sell me
a Morel speaker system....

Daniel Snooks

Steve Grauman wrote
Technically, he sells everything. While he doesn't keep a back-stock of JL
Product, he *can* get them. But yea, he's trying to sell me on a US Amps

unit.
Either a $900 "standard" amp or a $1,200 tube amp unit. He keeps giving me

the
speech about how much the tube amp "warms" the sound and makes it so

"full". I
guess he didn't understand when I told him 6 times I wasn't looking for
anything that was going to color or distort the sound. He also wants to

sell me
a Morel speaker system....

Tube amplifiers tend to provide to most flawless reproduction of the
original signal. He is wrong to say that the tube amp "warms" the sound and
makes it "full". More correct would be to say that it does not "cool" the
sound or "diminish" it. For the record, the majority of people probably
would not be able to tell the difference between a high end transistor based
amp and a tube amp if they were wearing a blindfold.
For my $2000 ($0.02 isn't enough to get the equipment) a Morel system
running off of a tube amp would be orgasmic if installed well.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

dconder

I checked all the connections and everything looks good so, I am not sure
what it might be. When I first turned on the car, the amp did not come on,
then after maybe 10 seconds it came on. I have my Eclipse CD changer hooked
up at the amp too and it was off as well. When the amp came on, the changer
came on as well. Usually, they both come on as soon as the stereo is on.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

All of the differences you heard could easily be eq'd into a system by a
good tuner. Hell, it could have been the speakers themselves. I've heard
Zapco amps and they're really nice but nothing that puts them in a league
above anyone else's gear. Hell, I think most amps of good quality are close
enough in performance to not worry about it.

Paul Vina

"clibert" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

That rules out the amp because the changer showed the same symptoms. Make
sure it's getting a solid +12V on the B+ and the remote lead. Other than
that make absolutely sure that you have a good ground.

Paul Vina

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Grauman

I dont believe
they are really tube power amps. They are tube / solid state hybrids.

You are correct, sir. But they do have that "warm" tube sound to them.

IMHO hes a prick for trying to push components onto you that you dont
want...

It's not even a matter of wanting or not wanting. It's a matter of being able
to give me a definitive reason why I should be spending $1,000 + on a US Amp as
opposed to $450-600 on a JL Amp. I listened to a system today using PG Titanium
series amps powering MB Quart Q series components, and it blew me away! The
system sounded incredible, warm without obviously coloring the sound, very
rich, and *full* of detail.

**6 TIMES** ???

I told him several times that while I don't mind spending extra money to get
what I want, what I want is a system that won't color or change the original
sound in any way, unless I tell it to! I'm now looking at the 300/4 as well as
a couple of PG amps, and Eclipse's PA5442.
Steve Grauman

For my $2000 ($0.02 isn't enough to get the equipment) a Morel system
running off of a tube amp would be orgasmic if installed well.

I still havn't actually heard any of Morel's speakers. I listened to Focal
Utopia's, which sound good, with great detail, but seem a bit to bright. I've
heard Dynaudio's speakers are good, I heard an older system of theirs, and
liked it somewhat. I heard a system today using MB Quart Q series components
and it blew me away.
Daniel Snooks

Steve Grauman wrote
I still havn't actually heard any of Morel's speakers. I listened to Focal
Utopia's, which sound good, with great detail, but seem a bit to bright.

I've
heard Dynaudio's speakers are good, I heard an older system of theirs, and
liked it somewhat. I heard a system today using MB Quart Q series

components
and it blew me away.

Steve, I am pretty sure that the problems people have had with JL amps in
the past are mostly due to growing pains. The line of amps is very new, and
was somewhat rushed onto the market to meet demand. I would trust that by
now (a couple of years) the bugs have been worked out and JL is rolling out
very impressive hardware ... reliable and powerful. After all, the company
would be in sorry shape if they launched a line of amps that consistently
kept customers from being able to listen to their great speakers

JL, PG, and Eclipse all make decent amps, do you have an opportunity to
audition Zapco or McIntosh?

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Steve Grauman

JL, PG, and Eclipse all make decent amps, do you have an opportunity to
audition Zapco or McIntosh?

I've heard the JL 300/4 and 2 of PG's Titanium series amps, sadly, I didn't get
to hear them drive the same speakers, so it's almost irrelevant. I have not yet
been able to demo the Eclipse amp or *anything* by Zapco or McIntosh. The shops
that carry Zapco and McIntosh don't ever seem to have any setup for demo use.
Regardless of if I'm spending $500 total, or $50,000 total, I don't like the
idea of laying out cash for such an important part of the system when I can't
demo it first.
Paul Vina

JL, PG, and Eclipse all make decent amps, do you have an opportunity to
audition Zapco or McIntosh?

I wouldn't bother with the new McIntosh's. They haven't been the same since
Clarion bought the company.

Paul Vina

Daniel Snooks

Paul Vina wrote
I wouldn't bother with the new McIntosh's. They haven't been the same

since
Clarion bought the company.

See, now that is a crying shame, those amps were fabulous ... why do
corporate takeovers always screw the end user out of satisfaction?

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Paul Vina

See, now that is a crying shame, those amps were fabulous ... why do
corporate takeovers always screw the end user out of satisfaction?

Tell me about it. Clarion did the same thing when they bought Ungo. They
used to be fantastic alarms. Sometimes it all about the almighty dollar.

Paul Vina

keith

Hi Steve,
I have the Morel 6.2 system in my truck, (bi)amped with an old (but
good) a/d/s/ PH15, with a 642ix, and in my opinion, it's hard to beat
the morels. They're definitely on a par with the best of the Dynaudio,
and Focal Utopia systems that I've heard (powered by high quality
amplification) - certainly better for neutral, power compressionless
reproduction than any MB Quart system I've heard.
Bottom line, you've got to hear them in the right listening environment.
If you're in the SF Bay area, I'll gladly let you take a listen to my
set-up.
Keith

Steve Grauman wrote:

Let me guess... he
doesn't sell JL, or is recommending something more expensive?

Technically, he sells everything. While he doesn't keep a back-stock of JL
Product, he *can* get them. But yea, he's trying to sell me on a US Amps unit.
Either a $900 "standard" amp or a $1,200 tube amp unit. He keeps giving me the
speech about how much the tube amp "warms" the sound and makes it so "full". I
guess he didn't understand when I told him 6 times I wasn't looking for
anything that was going to color or distort the sound. He also wants to sell me
a Morel speaker system....

Daniel Snooks

Paul Vina wrote
Tell me about it. Clarion did the same thing when they bought Ungo. They
used to be fantastic alarms. Sometimes it all about the almighty dollar.

And to think ... Clarion used to crank out some gorgeous equipment of their
own (I love the old DRX series of head units) such a pity

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Douglas Conder

Turns out it was my fuse holder near the battery. There has been some
arcing at some time and it left a burned, powder spot that was not letting
the fuse make good contact. I cleaned it up good and the wife says it had
no problems. Thanks for your help.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

My brother still has the Clarion 6770 I bought in 93 or 94. It was part of
the original ProSeries line. That was a great sounding head.

Paul Vina

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
.. .
Paul Vina wrote
Tell me about it. Clarion did the same thing when they bought Ungo.

They
used to be fantastic alarms. Sometimes it all about the almighty

dollar.

And to think ... Clarion used to crank out some gorgeous equipment of

their
own (I love the old DRX series of head units) such a pity

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Steve Grauman

why do
corporate takeovers always screw the end user out of satisfaction?

Roackford bought out MB Quart some time ago, and the MB system I heard a couple
days ago blew me away.
Steve Grauman

If you're in the SF Bay area, I'll gladly let you take a listen to my
set-up.

Damnit-all. Where were you when I was living in Danville? LOL. I'm back in Los
Angeles now.

Steve Grauman

I listened to a Diamond Audio system today, in an installer's Honda Accord, I
didn't like it, at least not enough to spend that kind of money on those
speakers. I did like his Xtant amps though. The 300/4 seems like a good amp
afterall, and I'll keep it in my list of potentials. My big problem right now
is picking a speaker setup, it'll probably be an Alpine Type-X system, MB Quart
Q system, Dynaudio system, or Morel system. Unless I hear something I like
better.
Perry

"steve" wrote in message

Steve Grauman wrote:

I was told by an installer that JL's amps have a tendancy to die,

burnout, and
do other bad things. Has anyone had any bad experiances with any of

their
stuff, especially the 300/4?

My first one smoked the first time I cranked it good, however the
replacment has been working faithfuly for over 2 years.

There's always some percent of bad product that will make it past QC, no
matter who makes them. That's where customer support makes the
difference. Just make sure that you're dealing with a place that won't
give you a hard time if there's a problem with whatever you buy.

My 2 JL amps have performed flawlessly(300/2 and 500/1). I have no
complaints at all.

Steve Grauman

Bah, why'd ya go and do that?!
The offer still stands if you make it up this way...
keith

I'm still in that part of my life where I'm dependant (financially speaking) on
my parents. Gotta go where they go. I'd love to demo your setup though, I'm
usually in SF twice a year or so (although we've got nothing coming up), I'll
drop you a line.
muffbuster

Heck... if you come up, let me know and you can hear my
Dynaudio/McIntosh setup...

muffbuster

AUDIO FILE EDIT: HELP PLS! DL General 2 February 21st 04 11:05 PM
Audio Source vs. Cambridge Audio vs. NAD vs. Adcom Mark General 8 August 5th 03 07:39 PM
-Ultimate Audio Reviews Online- Steven R. Rochlin General 0 August 5th 03 05:21 PM
fix audio files [email protected] General 1 July 15th 03 05:44 PM
gps install: how to mix its audio (voice prompting) with head unit audio-out? bryan Car Audio 0 July 3rd 03 05:46 PM