Sam Carleton

Default angling sub out of spare tire well...

I will be placing a 12" sub in a fiberglass enclosure in my spare
tire wheel well. I do believe I have enough room as to not have to
face the sub straight up in my VW New Beetle. Should I have it
facing straight up, angled toward the back or the front? Does
anyone have any thoughts?

Sam
Sam Carleton

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 at 04:07 GMT, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
Sam Carleton wrote:

I will be placing a 12" sub in a fiberglass enclosure in my spare
tire wheel well. I do believe I have enough room as to not have
to face the sub straight up in my VW New Beetle. Should I have it
facing straight up, angled toward the back or the front? Does
anyone have any thoughts?

I don't see how a little bit of an angle would matter. Do
whatever keeps the sub from being sealed off when you put stuff in
the trunk.

I don't know, the whole discussion of which direction to face your
sub, toward the front or back, made me think that there might be a
difference if I faced the sub up or at say a 30 deg angle one
direction or the other.

Do you actually need to fiberglass the tire well? They're usually
quite strong.

Well, I was assuming that is how I make a nice sealed enclosure that
fits the tire well. It is my plan to put down a layer of tape, then
fiberglass to get a mold of the bottom and sides, then secure some
MDF to make the top.

Do you have a better suggestion?

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
Sanitarium

I did this in my old accord hatch back in the early 90s. I didnt angle
the subs though, just raised the floor by about 4 inches to increase the
enclosure volume. Used expanding hole filler (foam type) to fill the
gaps. 3/4 MDF on the cabinet walls and fiberglassed over both the MDF
and hole filler. When it was finised it looked like the factory trunk
floor, but raised up a little.

Garrett