xy

Default are there any books to read to get good at analog electronics?

hello,

i'd like to self-study so i can get good at understanding and building
modest-sized electronics projects. things like preamps, line drivers,
small 4x2 mixers and stuff like that.

are there any books that cater to this kind of learning?

in past years i've soldered together a few of the craig anderton
"electronic projects for musicians" stuff. but i'd like to focus on
"studio stuff".

the 1-2 year goal would be to be able to build high-quality,
point-to-point circuits for basic audio routing, and to actually
understand what i'm soldering together!

not trying to get to ssl-level complexity. but i would like to be
able to look at a neve 1272 card and understand every part and circuit
value on it, and also to build my own little preamp/mixer projects
using "the good stuff". so it wouldn't be like a complex computer
drilled mackie circuit board. more like you would open up the box and
find a small number of really big, high-voltage things wired together
in a somewhat minimalist fashion.

so if any of the books make reference to good audio quality and high
bandwidth, that would be ideal. some books might tell you to get
average parts and build stuff that works, but is only ho-hum in terms
of noise and sound quality.

i'm good with a soldering iron, and can point out the resistors, caps,
transistors, transformers, diodes and some other stuff on a circuit
board. but that's about the extent of my skills right now.

thanks for any info!
xy

thanks scott,
from reading your posts i have seen that you know a ton about audio
circuits. i'll make it a point to source out this book over the next 4
days or so.
Byron G Jacquot

so if any of the books make reference to good audio quality and high
bandwidth, that would be ideal. some books might tell you to get
average parts and build stuff that works, but is only ho-hum in terms
of noise and sound quality.

i'm good with a soldering iron, and can point out the resistors, caps,
transistors, transformers, diodes and some other stuff on a circuit
board. but that's about the extent of my skills right now.

I won't shoot down the H&H recommendations, but I'll also say that it
can be a really terse reference. Bob Pease's Troubleshooting Analog
Electronics is in a similar league.

The AES journal has theoretical articles from some of the folks who are
trying to squeeze ever better performance from their circuits.

From a practical standpoint, get the little pamphlets that Radio Shack
carries that were written by Forrest Mims...there are several in the
series, I've used the ones covering Opamps, digital circuits, and
transistor circuits.

Then get a breadboard, a handful of components, and build up some of
those circuits. Learn to solder well, and use test equipment to
troubleshoot.

Also, look for datasheets from folks who make components you're
interested in. Jensen transformers have some good whitepapers, National
Semiconductor's FET datasheet/app note, the old RCA tube manual, the
Opamp Labs gizmos, and the Silonex audiohm designs are all interesting
starting points.

Learning how to find what you want in the Mouser and Digikey catalogs is
also a worthwhile exercise!

Byron Jacquot
Mike Rivers

It depends on the knowledge that you're seeking. If you want to learn
to design circuits, first you need to understand the basics of
circuits - current flow, voltage drop, resistance (that makes them
both happen). From then on, you can learn about amplifiers, and that's
about it.

For what it's worth (to the novice), I have an article in the August
issue of Recording Magazine which explains the basic principles of a
circuit. With that knowledge you can figure out how a lot of things
work (or why they don't). It will be followed by an article explaining
the meaning and implications of impedance (but the editors thought
that was so long and complicated that they're going to spread it out
over three issues - can you say "cliff hanger?").

Read this series if you can't find anything better (do the Boy Scouts
still have a merit badge for electricity?) and then you'll be ready to
tackle the Horowitz & Hill book.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Bill Thompson

xy wrote:
i'd like to self-study so i can get good at understanding and building
modest-sized electronics projects. things like preamps, line drivers,
small 4x2 mixers and stuff like that.

are there any books that cater to this kind of learning?

snip

There are TONS of books, the real problem is sorting them outG. Much
like microphones and compressors, your mileage may vary, but here's a
list of books that don't sit on my shelves for extended periods of timeG.

First, I got my start in electronics through amateur radio. It isn't
nearly as popular as it once was, but the prep books may still be a
great way to get started. The one I used is long out of print, but the
ARRL still publishes one, so I'd at least check it out.

- The Arrl General Class License Manual

Next on my list would be text books. These are exactly what they claim
to be, and you do sort of need to work your way through them the first
time. After that they make excellent references. The two most often
mentioned a

- Alan V. Oppenheim, Alan S. Willsky, Signals and Systems
- Paul Horowitz & Winfield Hill, The Art of Electronics

The first one I used in college, which I often go back to, is:

- A. James Diefenderfer, Principles of Electronic Instrumentation

A great way to get your feet wet is repairing something that used to
work. I haven't seen the latest edition, but EDN published a great
collection of articles, and I can't imagine it isn't still worth a read.

- Robert A. Pease, Troubleshooting Analog Circuits

Then there are what I lump together as the personality books. These are
fun to read because their author's personalities really come through.
Even so, there is a tremendous amount of information to absorb.

- John Linsley Hood, Valve & Transistor Audio Amplifiers
- Douglas Self, Audio Power Amplifier Handbook
- Douglas Self, Self on Audio
- Jim Williams, Analog Circuit Design: Art, Science and Personalities
- Jim Williams, The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design

These three are simply indispensible, and the first two make the third a
lot easier to understand!!

- Ralph Morrison, Grounding and Shielding Techniques
- Henry Ott, Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems
- Philip Giddings, Audio Systems Design and Installation

In addition to the amateur radio books, I learned a lot from "cookbooks"
Amongst the best, I'd have to list:

- Walter G. Jung, Audio Op-Amp Cookbook
- Walter G. Jung, IC Op-Amp Cookbook
- Forrest M. Mims, The Forrest Mims Circuit Scrapbook
- Don Lancaster, Active Filter Cookbook

I also have a fantastic book on transformers, it's really a cross
between a cookbook and a textbook. Unfortuantely I just noticed that it
isn't where it belongs, so I can't tell you the exact title.

You mentioned circuit design specifically, but there are some
specialized areas of knowledge that you probably want to gain at least a
nodding aquaintance with. Among these would be microphones and loudspeakers:

- Lou Burroughs, Microphones: Design and Application
- John Eargle, The Microphone Book
- Martin Colloms, High Performance Loudspeakers
- John M. Eargle, Loudspeaker Handbook

It also never hurts to understand how the things you want to build are
going to be used...

- Robert Runstein, Modern Recording Techniques
- Don & Carolyn Davis, Sound System Engineering

Then there are handbooks. I like handbooks, and really should update my
copies!
- The Arrl Handbook for Radio Amateurs 2002
- Reference Data for Engineers Radio
- Handbook for Sound Engineers

The last in the list is really more than a handbook. It is HUGE, and
very broad in scope, but a lot of the articles are informative at many
levels, and some are even fun to read.

There are some books I've put into storage, so I can't give you exact
titles, but they were very important as I was learning about circuits
and electronics and all this cool stuff.

You will eventually do battle with circuits you build, so I'd suggest
picking up at least one title on each of the following topics:
- power supply design
- using oscilloscopes
- using analog and digital meters
- using signal generators

Finally, application notes are a tremendous source of ideas and
information. If you can, find some of the National Semiconductor data
and app-note books. Mine date back to the early 80s, but I still use
them. Analog Devices has published some great books as well, and
actually, most of the semiconductor companies have data books and
app-notes that are worth at least a quick read.

And a footnote about the world wide web. There is a lot of information
scattered about, and a lot of it is both correct and useful... but there
is a lot of questionable information as well. I'd suggest gaining a
strong footing through more conventional means, like books and
magazines, before trying to sift the good from the not-so-good on the web.

Speaking of magazines, Audio Amateur, which goes by another name that
evades me just now, is outstanding. All of the magazines published by
Old Colony are worth the time to read. Recording magazine has been
publishing DIY projects and tutorials for a while now, and they are
consistently well done. TapeOP is another source for DIY info, though
it's a little more sporacid.

There are others, but not nearly as many as when I was getting started,
and I wouldn't even know which ones are good anymore.

This may keep you busy for a week or two!

P Stamler

I second what everyone has mentioned -- and thanks for the nice words, Chris!
The new name of Audio Amateur is audioXpress, and it's still both fun to read
and informative.

I learned a lot from Audio Amateur during its first decade of publication
(1970-1980). They're now publishing the early years on CD-ROMs, and I recommend
them highly. One of these days I hope Walter Jung revises the "Audio Op-Amp
Cookbook" to take into account 20 years of improved devices and techniques; I
corresponded with him for a while, and he's itching to do it, but apparently
his publishers aren't interested.

Peace,
Paul
William Sommerwerck

I always use his books as examples of how NOT
to design electronics, particularly the audio one.
I've seen too many would be engineers crib from
that source and create a production line disaster.

Example, please.

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I always use his books as examples of how NOT
to design electronics, particularly the audio one.
I've seen too many would be engineers crib from
that source and create a production line disaster.

Example, please.

If you read several of the monthlies oriented towards design engineers and
kept up with op amp manufacturer application notes, then Jung's Op Amp
Cookbook was a nice compendium of what you already saw once or twice or
three times...

OTOH Lancaster's active filter book is the real thing.

Jung's articles with Marsh about dielectric absorption were nicely debunked
by Robert Pease who in contrast really understood DA. In fact, anything
that Jung justified with listening evaluations can pretty well be dismissed
out of hand.

Graham Hinton

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

I always use his books as examples of how NOT
to design electronics, particularly the audio one.
I've seen too many would be engineers crib from
that source and create a production line disaster.

Example, please.

Have two:

SSL 5000 series. The first one melted on the stand at AES NY. The third
redesign got into production and usually went up in smoke in test.

H||H P73 electronic piano made the original company go bust when none of
the first 100 worked. (The present company of that name was bought up by
Carlsboro after the disaster.)

Most of the people working on those projects were big Jung fans. "oooh
look, here's a nice little circuit, let's put that in... " Jaws music

Graham Hinton

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

If you read several of the monthlies oriented towards design engineers and
kept up with op amp manufacturer application notes, then Jung's Op Amp
Cookbook was a nice compendium of what you already saw once or twice or
three times...

Quite, was there anything original in there at all?

Most of the manufacturer's application books were free then too.

I remember a good post here once by a certain G.Massenburg and his story
about Jung was so good that I wanted to get it framed.

OTOH Lancaster's active filter book is the real thing.

Yes, that is the only one of the Cookbook series that I actually bought.
In general though, a "cookbook" is a bad thing, it encourages not thinking
about the problem and taking short cuts. Any book that takes that approach
is not going to promote understanding.

What a lot of people don't seem to see is that there is a huge difference
between building a one off project from a kit or book and being pleased
with your results and building hundreds of something in a factory where you
have to guarantee that all instances of that design will work within
tolerances and not require expensive fiddling with before they go out the
door. And not come back a week later.

People that are good at design are busy doing it and rarely (if ever?)
write books so it should be obvious that the people writing books are not
actively designing anything and probably never did.

I don't know what university salaries are like in the US, but in the UK
they are peanuts and monkeys are what you get. People that are good at
electronics are working in industry, not teaching it. Raw graduates usually
need completely re-educating before they can be allowed near any design
projects.

The question was about "getting good" not learning the basics. There is
only one way to do that - study the best examples. Service manuals for good
designs are better than any book. Try to work out why something was done
one way instead of another. Choose the best company making top designs and
apply for a job, some of it may rub off.

Above all else good design is an ethos, you have to aspire to make it
better and that means being highly critical of your own designs as well as
others.
If you want to be good you have to really push yourself, train like a top
athlete. Cookbooks are like taking steroids instead.

P Stamler

20 years! Can the NE5534 be that old?!? Time flies.

No, it's older. The TDA-1034 (as the 5534 was originally called in Europe) was
introduced c. 1976.

In defense of Jung: If you read either of his cookbooks, you'll find he tells
you that his circuits are only starting points, not completed solutions. People
may ignore that warning at their peril, but that isn't the author's fault. Oh,
and those who bash Jung but laud application notes from Analog Devices: a large
proportion of the latter were written by Jung. He's been working there for at
least 15 years.

Peace,
Paul

James Boyk

I didn't say the refrig. was portable. In fact, it plugged into the wall.

Scott Dorsey

Graham Hinton wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

I always use his books as examples of how NOT
to design electronics, particularly the audio one.
I've seen too many would be engineers crib from
that source and create a production line disaster.

Example, please.

SSL 5000 series. The first one melted on the stand at AES NY. The third
redesign got into production and usually went up in smoke in test.

H||H P73 electronic piano made the original company go bust when none of
the first 100 worked. (The present company of that name was bought up by
Carlsboro after the disaster.)

Most of the people working on those projects were big Jung fans. "oooh
look, here's a nice little circuit, let's put that in... " Jaws music

None of these are the result of cribbing from the Jung book, though.
Both of these are the result of taking good circuits and misapplying
them. And using them without doing the math to see what they are really
doing.

I don't see how it's Walt's fault that somebody took some gain stages and
didn't bother calculating how much heat they'd produce with a given power
input....
Arny Krueger

"Graham Hinton" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

If you read several of the monthlies oriented towards design
engineers and kept up with op amp manufacturer application notes,
then Jung's Op Amp Cookbook was a nice compendium of what you
already saw once or twice or three times...

Quite, was there anything original in there at all?

Nothing comes to mind.

Most of the manufacturer's application books were free then too.

Right, and so were a number of engineering periodicals that carried circuit
ideas.

I remember a good post here once by a certain G.Massenburg and his
story about Jung was so good that I wanted to get it framed.

You mean

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=38...ix.netcom.com?

OTOH Lancaster's active filter book is the real thing.

Yes, that is the only one of the Cookbook series that I actually
bought. In general though, a "cookbook" is a bad thing, it encourages
not thinking about the problem and taking short cuts. Any book that
takes that approach is not going to promote understanding.

I didn't see Lancaster's book as encouraging that sort of thing. He provided
a starting point design, some equations for scaling the design, and comments
about the slings and arrows of scaling the design beyond certain limits.

What a lot of people don't seem to see is that there is a huge
difference between building a one off project from a kit or book and
being pleased with your results and building hundreds of something in
a factory where you have to guarantee that all instances of that
design will work within tolerances and not require expensive fiddling
with before they go out the door. And not come back a week later.

Been there, done that. IOW, I find that it's true. You don't know all the
way that a design can become unintentionally screwed up until you make a few
and give them to other people to play with.

People that are good at design are busy doing it and rarely (if ever?)
write books so it should be obvious that the people writing books are
not actively designing anything and probably never did.

True, I don't recall seeing many books about the slings and arrows of making
a design commercial.

I don't know what university salaries are like in the US, but in the
UK they are peanuts and monkeys are what you get. People that are
good at electronics are working in industry, not teaching it. Raw
graduates usually need completely re-educating before they can be
allowed near any design projects.

Ideally fresh young engineers are put to work for and with experienced
engineers when they start working in industry. I think that's how it usually
works - that's how it worked for me.

The question was about "getting good" not learning the basics. There
is only one way to do that - study the best examples. Service manuals
for good designs are better than any book. Try to work out why
something was done one way instead of another. Choose the best
company making top designs and apply for a job, some of it may rub
off.

There's also the school of hard knocks.

Above all else good design is an ethos, you have to aspire to make it
better and that means being highly critical of your own designs as
well as others.

After a while one gets a sense for what's commercial and what's not, and how
to take a raw design commercial.

If you want to be good you have to really push yourself, train like a
top athlete. Cookbooks are like taking steroids instead.

Cookbooks are like doing nothing at this stage in the process.

Graham Hinton

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

You mean

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=38...ix.netcom.com?

The same.

I didn't see Lancaster's book as encouraging that sort of thing.

No, it wasn't really a Cookbook, was it? Sams just pidgeon holed it in
with the series.

True, I don't recall seeing many books about the slings and arrows of making
a design commercial.

You don't have a copy of Building High End Recording Consoles for Dummies
on your shelf then?

Ideally fresh young engineers are put to work for and with experienced
engineers when they start working in industry. I think that's how it usually
works - that's how it worked for me.

It is how it worked for me too and looking back I realise how much I owe to
my first boss, not so much technical information as attitude and definitely
for actively encouraging me.
I *can* remember the last time I found an employable fresh graduate, but it
was a long time ago.

Monte P McGuire

In article ,
Graham Hinton wrote:
The question was about "getting good" not learning the basics. There is
only one way to do that - study the best examples. Service manuals for good
designs are better than any book. Try to work out why something was done
one way instead of another.

This is great advice. When I started out, I was often confused as to
why a designer did certain things a certain way, and it took me a long
time to realize that there are a lot of bad circuits in basic
electronics texts. Study from the best and then you might be able to
see why the "not best" circuits are the way they are.

Another thing to think about when looking at a schematic is to think
about the things that _aren't_ in the circuit. It's sometimes
deceptive to look at something and miss the magic because you didn't
see what _wasn't_ done in order to get the job done. Lots of basic
designs throw in a lot of needless junk that often diminishes
performance. With analog electronics, less is often more. The
simpler you can make your circuit (and still get it to work reliably),
the better it sounds (most of the time).

John Curl's amplifier designs from the 70s are probably the best
examples of such a circuit. They're deceptively simple, although his
circuits may not pass muster with your "buildability" requirements.
They're extremely simple and elegant, but rely on closely matched
devices, usually JFETs, that aren't that well matched up to start out
with.

Still, if you can build a handful of them, then who's to say it's not
ready for production? You just add the screening and matching steps
into the production line...

Above all else good design is an ethos, you have to aspire to make it
better and that means being highly critical of your own designs as well as
others.

Also great advice. There's a lot of junk out there, sometimes sold
for astoundingly high prices, so deciding what's good and bad should
have something to do with your experiences working with the gear.

I think the best gear has come from folks who not only design but also
use gear, since they know what really needs to be done and where the
priorities are. Most of the annoying junk made today seems to be
driven by what would look good on a cut sheet, and it just doesn't
work when you actually try to use the stuff.

To the original poster, study electronics, study great designs, design
and build your own creations and use them all for your own recording
projects. This is a good way to figure out what's important and
what's not. Continue that cycle and you'll probably find out some
neat stuff.

Regards,

Monte McGuire

Tom Loredo

Hi folks-

If this was mentioned, I missed it, and though I've seen and used most
of the other references, I consider this one of the best single sources
of audio electronics design info I've come across (assuming you already
know the basics): Steve Dove's chapter on console design in *Handbook
for sound engineers: the new audio cyclopedia*, edited by Glen Ballou and
published by Howard Sams.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Amazon shows it as currently out of print, but you may be able to
find it at a library (perhaps via interlibrary loan) so you can copy
the chapter. It originally sold for $100, but I found a used copy
a few years ago for $50. Besides Dove's article, there is a lot of
other useful info, including chapters by F. A. Everest on acoustics.
Worth every penny!

I met Dove at AES a couple years ago and he told me there is a
new edition of the book in the works. I don't know what will
survive to the new edition; he told me they requested he heavily
alter his chapter to include coverage of digital consoles, but
at a less technical level than the 2nd edition, IIRC.

There have been past threads on this topic with good advice; for example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...4747538&rnum=1
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...517fcdf&rnum=1
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...da8cdbe&rnum=1

Peace,
Tom Loredo
Justin Ulysses Morse

Start with the basics, as they say. About 8 years ago I bought a basic
electronics textbook on clearance at the mall for like $3. The first 2
or 3 chapters were fantastic because they explained the basic
sub-molecular mechanism of electricity, then they explained Ohm's Law
and Kirchoff and Thevenin and conventional current flow vs. electron
current flow. Then they explained, on a molecular level, how a silicon
junction (like in a diode or transistor) works, and had a diagram I
could memorize about which wire is which on a bipolar transistor, which
direction the current flows in relation to the arrow, how much DC
voltage you get out of various rectifier circuits, etc. I still have
the book someplace, but it doesn't matter what it is. You could go to
your local bookstore and find a similar college or highschool textbook,
sit down in the aisle and read the first three chapters, and you'd have
a good start. I had to read it several times before it all came
together. Read it once, then go read the "theory of operation" section
of some Urei, Orban, RCA, Rane, and Tascam service manuals, then go
back and read it again. Get some schematics and try to follow the
signal path from input to output, or the power supply voltage from + to
-. Open up some old junk and look at the parts. Compare the good
stuff to the crap. And remember, you don't have to understand every
component in a discrete gain stage before you can build one. Anything
you don't understand, you copy. Once you understand it you can change
it.

ulysses

xy wrote:

i'd like to self-study so i can get good at understanding and building
modest-sized electronics projects. things like preamps, line drivers,
small 4x2 mixers and stuff like that.

are there any books that cater to this kind of learning?

i'm good with a soldering iron, and can point out the resistors, caps,
transistors, transformers, diodes and some other stuff on a circuit
board. but that's about the extent of my skills right now.

Jay Kadis

In article
(Graham Hinton) writes:
In article ,
Bill Thompson wrote:

Over here it is not uncommon for the universities to work
with industry so that the professor's are in fact working on designs
that will see the light of day. Not every professor can do that, but the
ones that can usually do.

I've been on both sides. I've worked at top universities in the days before
the grants ran dry and I've worked for several startup companies that have
turned into multi-million plcs. I know where I prefer to be and I know how
little academic research gets into production for various reasons, but
mainly the culture difference.

On the software side, there are real, practical contributions from academia.
Our center has produced several contributions to the world of computer-based
musical instruments, like FM and waveguide synthesis techniques. Our graduates
are sought after by industry and populate the commercial audio DSP world, from
Digidesign to Apple computer.

I am surprised to hear that professors
are paid peanuts over there... here an engineering professor can live
comfortably on his professor's salary. They could certainly make more in
industry, but some are simply attracted to either research or teaching.

There may be some terminology difference. Here a professor is a top job and
often comes with a house, so living on the salary is easier. Day to day
teaching is done by lecturers and they are low paid. Also every little
college has been renamed a University for political correctness, rendering
the word almost meaningless.

Nevertheless, some universities are still real universities.

I'm sure that if you are a philosopher or an expert in ancient Etruscan
literature then a University is where the cut and thrust is, but not up to
date technology and not learning about it. Not here.

Try a place like Stanford, Cal Tech, or U.C. Berkeley.

-Jay
--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
x CCRMA, Stanford University x
Kurt Albershardt

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

[...]

I started with one of my Dad's high school textbooks from the '40s and
moved from that to the ARRL Handbooks of the '70s. The ARRL books are
still on my shelf.

And I'll second the recommendation of "The New Audio Cyclopedia" even if
it's the mid-'80s edition I bought. Not a huge amount of circuit
design, but read that one cover to cover a few times and--assuming you
understand most of it--you'll (sadly) have a better working knowledge of
audio than many of the so-called pros in the business today.

Graham Hinton

In article ,
(Jay Kadis) wrote:

Nevertheless, some universities are still real universities.

I don't think you understand the gulf that has widened between the US and
the UK. We started slipping in the 70s and it has got worse and worse until
it is now a crisis.

When I was interviewing post graduate applicants at SSL I went through
hundreds of UK qualified engineers in one six month period. It was a most
depressing experience. Most not only did not know what the firm made, but
could not give a clear description of what they did in their current job or
correctly interpret a few simple circuit diagrams and these were the ones
that had already been screened. I did not find one person that could be
given a job. I'm not saying there are not suitable people, but they are
rare and the general standard is apallingly low. This reflects directly and
poorly on the education system that they are a product of.

This also creates a dilema for young talented people that want to learn.
Where can you go to get a decent education? Do you settle for the best of a
bad choice? Do you even know it is a bad choice until too late?

Try a place like Stanford, Cal Tech, or U.C. Berkeley.

You are talking about the handful of top places in the world with a
viewpoint from within one. The exception rather than the rule. I'm
perfectly aware of them and what they have done. I'm talking about the
general situation in the UK.

I wonder if you would like to lecture here for a UK salary? Or if you saw
what the facilities or morale are like?