Harry Lavo

Default NPR reports on new brain research music

Heard on NPR this AM the results of some more work done with regard to the
brain processing music. Scientists found that if the person under test was
familiar with the music being played, and the music was interrupted briefly,
the person was unawares and the brain continues to "fill in the blanks". If
the music was unfamiliar, this did not happen. This "memory" appeared to
occur in the area of the brain associated with musical processing; it was
not clear from the report whether other areas were involved as well.

I think the most important implication of this is how little we really know
about how we hear, especially with regard to processing music.

However, to my hobby horse (you knew I'd get there eventually, right? :-) I
wonder if this may be involved with our ongoing disputes over testing. The
scientist found the brain would seamlessly fill in the sound for 3-5 seconds
(remember Oohashi's team also found a "lag" in the time it took for
emotional response to build or subside). Is it not possible, therefore,
that the "no difference" null from quick-switch blind testing results from
the brain not really hearing the switch, but rather overriding it, so that
there is no apparent change unless there is a radically (.5 db?) difference
in volume or frequency response. Could this be why some audiophiles feel
they learn more from alternately listening to the same (remembered) piece of
music over and over again, switching (but not instantaneously)? Is it
possible that people familiar with live acoustic music have brains that can
do more of this "fill in the blanks" when hearing reproduced music, and that
the better the reproduction, the more this "fill in the blanks" provides the
emotional satisfaction of the live event, and the audiophile to rate the
equipment in the chain as allowing a pretty good "live" facsimile?

None of this is posted as "being true". All of it is posted as "what if" or
"could it be" hypothesis. Wish I had chosen this field for study...there
must be years of work an avid audiophile could do as follow up to some of
the recent findings (hard-wired "rhythm" and "harmonic" patterns, for
example).

Harry Lavo
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" -- Duke Ellington

Russ Button

Harry Lavo wrote:
Heard on NPR this AM the results of some more work done with regard to the
brain processing music. Scientists found that if the person under test was
familiar with the music being played, and the music was interrupted briefly,
the person was unawares and the brain continues to "fill in the blanks".

Somewhat related to this is the curious fact that so many professional
and/or serious musicians who have truly crappy home audio systems.
What seems to happen is that even though the system is in the boombox
class of performance, their brains seem to fill in what is missing.
Musicians listen for harmonic structure, counterpoint, and how the
various components of a song work together.

It strikes me that the things that audiophiles treasure are very much
sensual - imaging, timbre, tonal balance, etc.

To illustrate my point, I have a short video clip at my web site you
might want to pull down and take a listen to. It's a trombone
quartet consisting of four young women, whom I later learned are
from Scotland. These women are really strong players and the quality
of their performance comes through very well, even though the sound
quality is that of an AM radio.

http://www.button.com/Russ/videos/bones01.wmv

I think the most important implication of this is how little we really know
about how we hear, especially with regard to processing music.

It's one thing to listen for the sensual pleasures that a great home audio
system can produce. It's quite another to listen for musical content.

Harry Lavo
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" -- Duke Ellington

Russ Button

Since we're quoting great musicians here...

"You don't necessarily learn about jazz in school. Many folks
have this idea that jazz means you're up there on the bandstand
playing whatever comes into your head, and hopefully when
you're done the other cats will be about done, too.

It isn't like that at all. Jazz improvisation is the creation of
blues-based melodies in the context of harmonic, rhythmic,
and timbral variation. There's a logic to its imposition of
order on what would otherwise be chaos. And we all create
the logic as we go along.

The most important emotion in jazz is joy. But you don't create
that joy just by feeling good. You create it by feeling terrible.
Worse than that. About all the bull**** that has been put on
people and continues to be heaped on. You have an empathy, a
desire to improve things, to say stuff can be another way, not
just about black people but the spiritual condition of all
people.

You've got to play. Together. You can't play jazz alone."

Wynton Marsalis - "Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life"

Harry Lavo wrote:
Heard on NPR this AM the results of some more work done with regard

to the
brain processing music.

I bet I know where this is going... ;-)

Scientists found that if the person under test was
familiar with the music being played, and the music was interrupted

briefly,
the person was unawares and the brain continues to "fill in the

blanks". If
the music was unfamiliar, this did not happen. This "memory"

appeared to
occur in the area of the brain associated with musical processing; it

was
not clear from the report whether other areas were involved as well.

I think the most important implication of this is how little we

really know
about how we hear, especially with regard to processing music.

Do hearing and processing music have anything to do with one another?
This study appears to suggest not. After all, subjects are shown to
"process music" even when they aren't hearing anything at all!

That should be an early clue to how far off the trail you are about to
wander.

However, to my hobby horse (you knew I'd get there eventually, right?

:-) I
wonder if this may be involved with our ongoing disputes over

testing. The
scientist found the brain would seamlessly fill in the sound for 3-5

seconds
(remember Oohashi's team also found a "lag" in the time it took for
emotional response to build or subside). Is it not possible,

therefore,
that the "no difference" null from quick-switch blind testing results

from
the brain not really hearing the switch, but rather overriding it, so

that
there is no apparent change unless there is a radically (.5 db?)

difference
in volume or frequency response.

Lots of things are possible, but this study (at least as you have
described it) provides no basis for such speculation. Now, if the study
showed that people continued to "process" a piece of music when the
testers switched to a different piece of music, then I might at least
entertain the possibility that you are right. But anyone who's ever had
that happen to them knows that what you actually hear very quickly
overrides what you had been expecting to hear. It is inconceivable that
switching to the *same* piece of music with some partial loudness
differences would have the opposite effect.

Could this be why some audiophiles feel
they learn more from alternately listening to the same (remembered)

piece of
music over and over again, switching (but not instantaneously)?

No. The reason some audiophiles feel that way is because it allows them
to use psychoacoustic illusion to get the result they want--namely,
proof that they have particularly discerning hearing.

Is it
possible that people familiar with live acoustic music have brains

that can
do more of this "fill in the blanks" when hearing reproduced music,

and that
the better the reproduction, the more this "fill in the blanks"

provides the
emotional satisfaction of the live event, and the audiophile to rate

the
equipment in the chain as allowing a pretty good "live" facsimile?

Lots of things are possible, but this study (at least as you have
described it) provides no basis for such speculation. Now, if the study
had compared subjects' ability to fill in the blanks when listening to
live music and recorded music, and found they did better when the live
music stopped, then I might at least entertain the possibility that you
are right. But that's not what this study compared; it compared people
familiar with a piece of music to people unfamiliar to a piece of
music. (Which, by the way, has nothing whatever to do with familiarity
with "the sound of live acoustic music," if that were even a meaningful
concept.) Furthermore, this study offers no evidence that this
fill-in-the-blank skill is related to emotional satisfaction; the test
was based on familiarity alone.

Consider again the apparent disconnect between what people hear and
what they process. Why should we believe that this disconnect occurs
only when the music stops? Isn't it equally possible that, while we are
actually listening to a piece of music that we are familiar with, our
brain is processing it in some idealized form, and it is that idealized
version that we are conscious of, rather than the sonically imperfect
reproduction we are listening to? Doesn't this study suggest that it
might be better, in listening comparisons, to use music you are
*unfamiliar* with? Answer: No, it does not suggest that, any more than
it bolsters any of your speculations. I just wanted to show you how
easy it is to play this game.

None of this is posted as "being true". All of it is posted as "what

if" or
"could it be" hypothesis. Wish I had chosen this field for

study...there
must be years of work an avid audiophile could do as follow up to

some of
the recent findings (hard-wired "rhythm" and "harmonic" patterns, for
example).

Sure. Those are very interesting topics, which is why scientists are
researching them, rather than trying to prove that DBTs are flawed.

bob
Bob Ross

Harry Lavo wrote:
Heard on NPR this AM the results of some more work done with regard

to the
brain processing music. [huge snippage]

Two words: Daniel Dennett

Read Dennett's works on human perception, conciousness, how our sensory
apparatus informs our awareness, and (especially) how the entire
concept of the brain "filling in" information that doesn't exits is
complete horse puckey.

Read and learn.
Bob Ross

Russ Button wrote:

Since we're quoting great musicians here...

[snip]

Wynton Marsalis - "Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life"

With all due respect, Wynton may be a fantastic trumpet player, but he
is an embarassment (and nothing more) when it comes to intellectual
observations on what Jazz "is". Not even close. Not even in the same
galaxy. Somebody shut that man up.

Steven Sullivan

Harry Lavo wrote:
[...]

Harry is of course free to lengthen the switching interval as long as he
likes. The bulk of psychoacoustic research suggests it will decrease,
rather than increase, sensitivity to difference, but what the hey.

But it's good to see him note that 0.5 dB can be a radical difference in
level. Unlike Harry's hypothetical flaw in quick-switching DBT, level
mismatch is an all too real source of error. DBTs routinely attend to it,
sighted comparisons in the audiophile press and online anecdotes tend not
to. Perhaps Harry will devote some posts to meditations on this rather
more definite and pervasive source of erroneous conclusions of difference,
emanating largely from the subjectivist faction of audiophile culture.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
Gareth Magennis

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
Heard on NPR this AM the results of some more work done with regard to the
brain processing music. Scientists found that if the person under test
was
familiar with the music being played, and the music was interrupted
briefly,
the person was unawares and the brain continues to "fill in the blanks".
If
the music was unfamiliar, this did not happen. This "memory" appeared to
occur in the area of the brain associated with musical processing; it was
not clear from the report whether other areas were involved as well.

A more studied parallel is the filling in the blanks associated with
visionary information. If you walk into a room, have a look around and come
out again, you think you have looked at most things in that room and think
you now know what that room is like. However, if you attatch sensors to the
eyes and brain, it is shown that you only actually look at a few key points
and the brain fills in the rest with what it expects to see based on stored
images and previous experiences. In reality you see very little, yet have no
idea this process is happening.

It seems logical that at least some form of this would occur in auditory
processing too.

Gareth.

Do hearing and processing music have anything to do with one another?
This study appears to suggest not. After all, subjects are shown to
"process music" even when they aren't hearing anything at all!

Haven't you ever heard of persistence of vision? Eyes work this way
also. When watch a movie, you are actually looking at a black screen
about half the time.

This study shows that we process vision and hearing in much the same
way.

Russ Button wrote:

Somewhat related to this is the curious fact that so many

professional
and/or serious musicians who have truly crappy home audio systems.
What seems to happen is that even though the system is in the boombox
class of performance, their brains seem to fill in what is missing.

Or maybe nothing's missing, at least nothing that a musician needs.
Which suggests an obvious question: What is it that audiophiles "need"
that musicians don't?

Musicians listen for harmonic structure, counterpoint, and how the
various components of a song work together.

Sometimes, when they're thinking about a work on a technical level. But
they also listen just to listen, like the rest of us.

It strikes me that the things that audiophiles treasure are very much
sensual - imaging, timbre, tonal balance, etc.

I don't think you really mean to say that musicians aren't sensual in
their listening. It would be more correct, I think, to say that
musicians and audiophiles, when they are listening on a technical
level, are listening to different things.Imaging, timbre, and tonal
balance, are technical factors, just like harmonic structure, etc.

bob
Russ Button

Bob Ross wrote:
Russ Button wrote:

Since we're quoting great musicians here...

[snip]

Wynton Marsalis - "Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life"

With all due respect, Wynton may be a fantastic trumpet player, but he
is an embarassment (and nothing more) when it comes to intellectual
observations on what Jazz "is". Not even close. Not even in the same
galaxy. Somebody shut that man up.

I've only been playing big band swing for a bit more than 30 years
and I like what Wynton had to say. Seeing as how Wynton was playing
with Art Blakey at the age of 18, has at least a dozen recordings to
his name, and is the leader of the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra,
it struck me that there might be some merit to what he had to say.

Opinions are just that. They are not gospel.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to what jazz is, and what
credentials you have to support your assertions.

Russ

Harry Lavo

"Bob Ross" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
Heard on NPR this AM the results of some more work done with regard

to the
brain processing music. [huge snippage]

Two words: Daniel Dennett

Read Dennett's works on human perception, conciousness, how our sensory
apparatus informs our awareness, and (especially) how the entire
concept of the brain "filling in" information that doesn't exits is
complete horse puckey.

Read and learn.

Okay, here are the exact words from the NPR website summary. Read and
learn.

"Morning Edition, March 14, 2005 · Researchers at Dartmouth College find the
"iPod of the brain." They've learned that the brain's auditory cortex, the
part that handles information from our ears, holds on to musical memories. "

The link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4533543

Russ Button

Russ Button wrote:

Musicians listen for harmonic structure, counterpoint, and how the
various components of a song work together.

Sometimes, when they're thinking about a work on a technical level. But
they also listen just to listen, like the rest of us.

Sure they do, but musicians generally don't hold high quality in audio to
be of great importance.

It strikes me that the things that audiophiles treasure are very much
sensual - imaging, timbre, tonal balance, etc.

I don't think you really mean to say that musicians aren't sensual in
their listening. It would be more correct, I think, to say that
musicians and audiophiles, when they are listening on a technical
level, are listening to different things.Imaging, timbre, and tonal
balance, are technical factors, just like harmonic structure, etc.

On the whole, I agree.

My wife is a professional violinist. Last year she purchased a
baroque violin (as opposed to a "modern" violin). This instrument
was made in 1774 has was never altered for modern performance, unlike
the great majority of the violins from that period. She spent about
a year and a half playing different violins and was very particular
about what she wanted. All the things we talk about like timbre,
tonal balance and harmonics are fundamental to what she wanted out
of her instrument.

Last year she also bought another modern bow. Now this is a glorified
stick of wood to the rest of us, but to her, the subtleties were
enormous. She spent $12,000 on the bow, and that was actually pretty
middling for a player of her class. And then she bitched at me for
spending $900 on a new Courtois C trumpet! Go figure.

But if she were the one buying our home audio gear, she'd probably be
using something she had left over from her 1975 college dorm room. She
does enjoy the sound of our system, but it's not terribly important to
her.

I can't tell you how many times I've been in the homes of professional
and or serious amatuer musicians and they've got one JVC speaker sitting
on the floor, next to the couch, in one corner with a fern on top, and
the other speaker is in a bookcase on the opposite wall. And their
electronics consist of something like a JVC solid state receiver at
25 watts/channel with a 5 disc CD player and they threw their vinyl
away 15 years ago.

Russ
Chung

Russ Button wrote:

Somewhat related to this is the curious fact that so many

professional
and/or serious musicians who have truly crappy home audio systems.
What seems to happen is that even though the system is in the boombox
class of performance, their brains seem to fill in what is missing.

Or maybe nothing's missing, at least nothing that a musician needs.
Which suggests an obvious question: What is it that audiophiles "need"
that musicians don't?

When musicians listen to music, they are often listening carefully to
the way the music is played, i.e., the skills and techniques exhibited
by the performers. You really do not need a highly accurate system to be
able to do that. Or they may be listening for the way the music is
composed and presented. But again, you do not need a super-accurate
system for that. Or they may simply be immersing themselves in the music
and not concerned about the system at all, unless that gets to be really
distracting.

When audiophiles listen to music, they are supposedly trying to recreate
a musical event in their homes. So a system that sounds great, whatever
that means, is important. They want excellent bass extension, crystal
clear high-end, or even perhaps those euphonic distortion effects that
tube lovers and vinylphiles love. Or they may want a system that
reproduces movie soundtracks with a lot of impact. Or, as in my case,
they may want to listen to what is recorded on the medium very
accurately, and they do not like to have a system that distorts, or
unnecessarily filters the material through frequency response errors.
But clearly in these cases the audiophiles need more expensive or
higher-performance systems than musicians (unless the musicians happen
to be audiophiles also).

Musicians listen for harmonic structure, counterpoint, and how the
various components of a song work together.

Sometimes, when they're thinking about a work on a technical level. But
they also listen just to listen, like the rest of us.

It strikes me that the things that audiophiles treasure are very much
sensual - imaging, timbre, tonal balance, etc.

I don't think you really mean to say that musicians aren't sensual in
their listening. It would be more correct, I think, to say that
musicians and audiophiles, when they are listening on a technical
level, are listening to different things.Imaging, timbre, and tonal
balance, are technical factors, just like harmonic structure, etc.

bob

John La Grou

On 16 Mar 2005 00:48:53 GMT, "Bob Ross" wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:
Heard on NPR this AM the results of some more work done with regard

to the
brain processing music. [huge snippage]

Two words: Daniel Dennett

Read Dennett's works on human perception, conciousness, how our sensory
apparatus informs our awareness, and (especially) how the entire
concept of the brain "filling in" information that doesn't exits is
complete horse puckey.

Read and learn.

Bob,

Dennett is but one of many voices in a conflicting symphony of ideas
respeting imagery. Kosslyn, Fodor, Pylyshyn, Block (etc.) present a
more balanced treatment of pictorialism and the analog-propositional
debates. Keep in mind, most of this is pure conjecture -- a collection
of brain theories with little objective science behind it.

Here's a good introduction by philosopher Nigel Thomas

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/nthomas/mipia.htm

JL
Bob Ross

Russ Button wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:
Russ Button wrote:

Since we're quoting great musicians here...

[snip]

Wynton Marsalis - "Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life"

With all due r espect, Wynton may be a fantastic trumpet player,

but he
is an embarassment (and nothing more) when it comes to intellectual
observations on what Jazz "is". Not even close. Not even in the

same
galaxy. Somebody shut that man up.

I've onl y been playing big band swing for a bit more than 30 years
and I like what Wynton had to say. Seeing as how Wynton was playing
with Art Blakey at the age of 18, has at least a dozen recordings to
his name, and is the leader of the Lincoln Center Ja zz Orchestra,
it struck me that there might be some merit to what he had to say.

You would think. But if you ignore his credentials and just listen to
what he says...or, more realistically, listen to what he says in the
context of his credentials, you start to recognize a point of view that
just doesn't jibe with the spirit and intent with which most jazz used
to be made.

Opinions are just that. They are not gospel.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to what jazz is, and what
credentials you have to support your assertions.

(As an aside, to paraphrase a quote that I saw on one of the online
music forums, "what credentials could I possibly possess that would
cause you to accept my opinion when it clearly contradicts yours?")

I've been a professional musician since 1974, playing jazz, rock,
classical, theater, and experimental music. I also work as an audio
engineer, so when I'm not playing music I'm listening (intently) to
other cats play. And what I've noticed, and what Wynton appears
hellbent on denying, is that the essence of jazz is about Progress:
looking forward, taking risks, stretching boundaries, developing as a
living thing. Wynton wants to put jazz in a museum, to encapsulate it
and halt its progress. He wants it to cease to develop...unless it
develops along strictly dictated lines.

That's not jazz. That's a pair of cement shoes.

Russ Button

Bob Ross wrote:

(As an aside, to paraphrase a quote that I saw on one of the online
music forums, "what credentials could I possibly possess that would
cause you to accept my opinion when it clearly contradicts yours?")

Credentials hopefully will give us some perspective on where you're
coming from. It's not about who's smarter, etc.

I've been a professional musician since 1974, playing jazz, rock,
classical, theater, and experimental music. I also work as an audio
engineer, so when I'm not playing music I'm listening (intently) to
other cats play. And what I've noticed, and what Wynton appears
hellbent on denying, is that the essence of jazz is about Progress:
looking forward, taking risks, stretching boundaries, developing as a
living thing. Wynton wants to put jazz in a museum, to encapsulate it
and halt its progress. He wants it to cease to develop...unless it
develops along strictly dictated lines.

That's not jazz. That's a pair of cement shoes.

I agree with you that music, not just jazz, should be about Progress.
But like so much else, unless you understand where you've come from,
you probably won't have much direction on where you're going.

Take the neo-swing scene of the 90's and all those bands like
Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Indigo Swing, LaVey Smith and the like.
All of those guys were playing for a very narrow audience of
people who wanted to dance the Lindy Hop. None of them were
really innovating. They were high energy and fun to listen to,
but it was very limited.

I didn't call it jazz and you probably didn't either. I can think
of a gazillion guys who were and are much more inventive than those
guys. The point I'm trying to make about them and their audience is
that they latched onto one small piece of popular art from the 40's,
the Lindy Hop (which people back then called Jitterbugging), and
made it into an industry.

Where they went wrong is in choosing to not experience the whole of the
dance music genre of the time. When my band would play a ballad,
instead of getting close with their partners and feeling romantic, they
all sat down, went to the bathroom, or chugged from their water bottles.
If these people were truly experience the whole of the music's
history, they'd then be in a position to give it a future.

It was Issac Newton who once said, "If I have seen farther, it is
because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."

So it is with music's development as well. All the great composers and
artists have always built upon what came before them. Bach was
succeeded by Hayden, who begat Mozart, who begat Beethovan. Beethovan
was followed by Shubert, Shumann, Berlioz and Wagner. They were in turn
followed by Mahler, Debussey and Ravel, who in turn inspired Stravinsky,
Prokofiev, Shastakovich, Copland, Ellington and Gershwin.

To my way of seeing it, Wynton extolls the virtures of Louis Armstrong
in the same way one might speak of Bach, but it didn't stop with
Armstrong or Ellington. Again, look at the history of the music and you
see the progression of ideas and form. Jazz has always been about
innovation, and great music is timeless. That's where a lot of guys
miss it.

Take big band for instance. `You listen to Ellington's Shakespearean
Suite recording, Basie's Super Chief or Atomic Basie recordings, Woody
Herman's mid-50's bands, Charlie Barnett, Stan Kenton or Shorty Rogers.
All of these bands had their own signiture sound. Big band music did a
major popular fade-out when it stopped being the dance music of the
kids. You get to the 70's and all you've got is Buddy Rich, Maynard
Fergusen and Don Ellis. Today we have college bands playing emminently
forgettable Rob McConnell charts.

They've lost sight of what it is that makes great music because they
don't understand what came before them. It's not that you have to play
"Corner Pocket" for the next 1000 years. But if you want people to take
notice of what you're doing, then you have to understand how to reach
them, and you do that by understanding what came before you.

One contemporary band I really like is a latin band called Mamborama.
Go to Amazon.com and do a search on them and take a listen to some of
their tracks. Very catchy and they're a totally hot band. Tito Puente
would have been proud to work with these guys. You can't possibly
listen to great latin players like this and think it's stale.

The way they got that way is that they all obviously know the music of
those who came before them. I think that's what Wynton is trying to
tell us. At least, that's how I choose to hear it.

A lot of guys are bugged about Wynton because they think he's got a big
ego. If having a big ego was a crime, we've have to put a *lot* of
people away. At least he's not a psychopath like Buddy Rich was. Give
Wynton credit for trying to preserve a tradition. Symphony orchestras
play the same literature year after year, but nobody's saying that
artform is dead or belongs in a museum (or maybe you didn't get to that
part of your speech).

Really great music is timeless. Listen to the Jazz Messengers from
their 50's recordings, the Beethovan symphonies, Berlioz's Symphony
Fantastique, Mozart's Requiium, Bach Partitas, and even a lot of the
Beatles' work, and you'll hear music that will stand the test of time.

But then listen to the music of people like Madonna, Britney Spears,
Michael Jackson, not to mention rap, and you're talking about stuff that
20 years from now will have all the relevancy of 70's disco, the
Monkees, and the other bad pop music every era has had to suffer through.

How can jazz strike out in a new direction if you don't know where jazz
came from? Some guys are needed to preserve the traditions and some
guys are needed to make new ones.

Russ

Russ Button wrote:

[...]

Wait a minute. Who's to say "they went wrong"? You, apparently. No
wonder you're a Marsalis fan.

Composers and musicians have taken many roads that turned out to be
dead ends. It's because they are free to do so that others created what
are now considered classics. But the "marketplace of ideas" ultimately
determines what is a classic. Supposed experts shouldn't appoint
themselves gatekeepers.

[...]

Including, especially, Marsalis. He isn't interested in the whole
history, only a piece of the history that fits with his own image of
himself.

[...]

Yeah--his.

Symphony orchestras
play the same literature year after year, but nobody's saying that
artform is dead or belongs in a museum (or maybe you didn't get to

that
part of your speech).

Actually, a lot of people are beginning to wonder about that. And some
of us jazz fans are concerned that this is precisely where Marsalis is
taking jazz.

Really great music is timeless. Listen to the Jazz Messengers from
their 50's recordings, the Beethovan symphonies, Berlioz's Symphony
Fantastique, Mozart's Requiium, Bach Partitas, and even a lot of the
Beatles' work, and you'll hear music that will stand the test of

time.

But then listen to the music of people like Madonna, Britney Spears,
Michael Jackson, not to mention rap, and you're talking about stuff

that
20 years from now will have all the relevancy of 70's disco, the
Monkees, and the other bad pop music every era has had to suffer

through.

How can jazz strike out in a new direction if you don't know where

jazz
came from? Some guys are needed to preserve the traditions and some
guys are needed to make new ones.

What we don't need are the guys who want to preserve only some of the
traditions.

bob
Russ Button

Where they went wrong is in choosing to not experience the whole of
the dance music genre of the time.

Wait a minute. Who's to say "they went wrong"? You, apparently. No
wonder you're a Marsalis fan.

Composers and musicians have taken many roads that turned out to be
dead ends. It's because they are free to do so that others created what
are now considered classics. But the "marketplace of ideas" ultimately
determines what is a classic. Supposed experts shouldn't appoint
themselves gatekeepers.

Oh I agree completely! Even the well-known composers of the 18th and
19th centuries had pieces that were stinkers and quite forgettable.
Paul Dukas, who taught at the Paris Conservatory, destroyed the great
majority of his works. There are only a few pieces of his left. His
"Fanfare for preceeding La Peri" is truly wonderful, but who knows what
his other work was like.

It is precisely the "marketplace of ideas" where ultimately, music that
is timeless gets judged so. We each have our own ideas as to what that
music is.

Including, especially, Marsalis. He isn't interested in the whole
history, only a piece of the history that fits with his own image of
himself.

Wow. You *really* don't like Wynton do you? It sounds to me like we
each see him differently. What I see I like for the most part.
Obviously you see him in a very different light.

Symphony orchestras
play the same literature year after year, but nobody's saying that
artform is dead or belongs in a museum (or maybe you didn't get to
that part of your speech).

Actually, a lot of people are beginning to wonder about that. And some
of us jazz fans are concerned that this is precisely where Marsalis is
taking jazz.

This issue isn't new. I remember back in the 60's how a number of
friends felt that classical and symphonic music was essentially dead.
I've been playing big band since the early 70's. Probably 80% of my
collection of recordings is jazz, but the place where I hear the Divine
is in Bach. There are a couple of recordings of Bach Partitas by
Rachael Podger which speak to me like nothing else. I can't explain it.
It's something more than just music to me. I certainly don't hear it
as a museum piece.

I think that what makes music timeless is that it always has some
vitality and Life to it. Listen to Clifford Brown and it never stops
being something extraordinary. He was more than simply the best bop
trumpet player of his day (yeah, even better than Dizzy).

As for Wynton taking jazz into a museum, he can no more do that than
you can hold a gallon of water poured from a spigot simply by cupping
your hands underneath.

The great majority of people have crappy sound systems and are perfectly
happy with them. The great majority of recordings sold are to kids who
idolize pop divas like Beyonce, Britney Spears, Pink, etc; and then
there's the whole rap phenomena...

The market of people who listen to classical music, new jazz, world
music, and even old jazz, is a very small population segment. Frankly
the great majority of these people are musicians themselves, which is
why music education is so important. How many people do you know, who
are not musicians themselves, or don't work in music or sound, really
know much about music or its history? Very, very few.

But there will always be people who want to hear and make new music.
Just as sure as the sun comes up in the morning every day, there will be
new ears to hear new sounds. Unless you're being hounded daily by the
Marsalis Police, I wouldn't worry about Wynton.

That's why I don't worry that much about big band music dying out.
There's always going to be people who want to play it, and there will
always be people, who upon hearing for the first time, will want to hear
more.

How can jazz strike out in a new direction if you don't know where
jazz came from? Some guys are needed to preserve the traditions and some
guys are needed to make new ones.

What we don't need are the guys who want to preserve only some of the
traditions.

Why not? My wife is a professional violinist who plays both modern and
baroque violin. There's a whole genre of people who play what is called
"early music". It's really quite a revelation to hear an "early music"
group play music that you've heard a million times played by a "modern
orchestra". I remember hearing the Philharmonia Baroque orchestra
perform Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". You've heard it a gazillion times on
classical FM stations, restaurants and elevators. Zzzzzzz.... But when
I heard Philharmonia Baroque do it, it was like hearing it for the first
time! I never realized that "The Four Seasons" was an impressionistic
piece! It was almost like listening to Debussy!

You can take a composed piece and give it a new interpetation, or better
yet, a very personal interpetation and that can make it "new" music.

Every musician has a limited range of stuff they do, and it is
especially limited if they want to really excell at it. I've never
heard a musician who was equally brilliant at every music form. You say
you're a professional musician and that you play jazz. Are you equally
adept at World Beat music, bluegrass, Irish and/or Scottish jigs, Indian
classical music, baroque chamber music, etc, etc, etc? Of course not.
So why should you restrict some people from preserving one tradition or
another?

If Wynton wants to preserve a certain period of jazz history, then let
him. He doesn't limit anyone else from playing any other art form.
He's just doing his own thing. After the Ken Burns series (which I
presume is where you've decided that Wynton is pedantic), I never once
heard anyone say that jazz stopped with Duke Ellington.

I do agree that the Ken Burns series was skewed heavily towards the work
of Louis Armstrong (Pops) and Duke Ellington. It really should have
spent a lot more time on bop, latin, and the later history of
progressive work such as exemplified by the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Sun
Ra, John Coltrane, as well as the fusion movement of the 70's and beyond.

Life isn't always fair. This sort of thing happens all the time. The
question here is, what are you going to do about it beside complain?

Russ
Russ Button

WVK wrote:

"Marsalis disparaged Davis for abandoning acoustic jazz in favor of
jazz-rock fusion, and Davis sniped that Marsalis was spending too much
time playing classical music and not developing his own improvisational
voice."

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16763

Actually this is pretty funny. If you go further in the article
it reads:

"In an infamous incident at the Vancouver Jazz Festival in 1986,
a producer apparently tried to orchestrate a poignant
intergenerational moment by having Wynton come up on stage to
jam with Miles’ band, but Miles would have none of it, stopping
his band and crudely telling Wynton to 'get the **** off the stage.'"

Miles Davis was one of the great musical innovators of the 20th
century and like Wagner before him, one of the great assholes of
his time. So it's really quite funny to have people comment on
Wynton Marsalis and by hold Miles Davis up in comparison.

Let me tell you a story about Miles Davis. I heard this from a
friend who used to work for the San Francisco based music producer,
Bill Graham. Miles had come to town to play at an event that
Bill Graham had produced. He shows up to the gig in a limo,
and when he gets out Graham is there waiting to greet him saying,
"Hi Miles! How you do feel?" You know, a typical polite welcome.

Miles replies, "How do I feel? Hold up your hand." And he has
Bill Graham hold up his hand, vertical with palm out. Miles then
proceeds to punch Graham's hand *HARD*. He damn near broke it.
As the above article indicated, Miles had been boxer. Graham
was in pain for the next two weeks.

He hit's Graham's hand and says in his heroin ruined voice,
"I feel fine."

Miles Davis was infamous for turning his back to the audience.
If you listen to the pop and funk flavored stuff he recorded in
the 80's and take away the rhythm tracks behind it, he really
doesn't play anything new. The rhythm tracks are repetitive
and without invention, which is typical of pop music. Miles'
own playing is really just a lot of licks without a hint of
the lyricism that marked his seminal work of the 50's.

Frankly his 80's/90's stuff only sold because it said Miles Davis
on the cover. It was crap then and it's crap today. Turn on
any jazz station today and nobody is playing it. Turn on any
pop station and nobody is playing it. As Bob Ross wrote in
an earlier posting here, the marketplace of ideas is where
artistic work gets judged.

Go to Amazon.com and do a search under popular music for
Miles Davis. Not a single 80's/90's vintage alblum comes up on
the first screen, and only 2 post 1980 alblums show up in
the first 30 listings. This is not an accident. Amazon.com
is in the business of selling product and they're going to
show first the things that sell the most.

As for Wynton Marsalis, I didn't care for the stuff he did
back in the 80's and early 90's. I like lyricism and harmonic
development. Take a listen to his first "Standard Time" alblum
and you'll hear what I mean. Too much intellect, not enough
heart. At least for me.

I didn't listen to him at all until last year when I was visiting
Siegfried Linkwitz to audition his Orion loudspeakers and he
played "Mr. Jelly Lord". The recording sounded was remarkable,
both sonically and musically, and of course I was hearing them
on the Orions, which was a real treat, never having heard them
before.

I'm not sure what the beef is about Wynton and why people get so
worked up about him. He's got an opinion and has a venue to
express it. We have a First Amendment for a reason.

I don't agree with a lot of what Wynton says, but that doesn't mean
I have to dislike everything he says, and that's the problem here.
I posted a Marsalis quote last week and Bob Ross dumped all over
it only because it came from Wynton, not because of anything in
the substance of the quote.

If you don't like Wynton Marsalis, then I recommend you not buy
any of his recordings. But if you see someone quoting him, I
suggest that your criticism will be more effective if you address
the substance of the quote, rather than just say it's BS because
you think Wynton's a jerk. As jerk's go, Wynton is truly minor
league compared to Miles Davis.

Russ

Russ Button

Stu Alden wrote:

In addition to his "seminal" 50s stuff, I think the 60's stuff with
Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, et al is quite amazing too -- not so much
for Miles's playing but for everyone else's. I've always felt that
Miles's best feature was the other people who played with him.

Miles was much more than just a trumpet player. He was a
musical innovator and a band leader. Look at the other
great band leaders of the period. With the exceptions of
Dizzy Gillespie and Buddy Rich, none of them were really
considered to be great soloists and Grand Masters of their
instruments. But their bands each had a signiture sound
that you can readily identify.

Consider Count Basie for a moment. He was a fine pianist, but
when jazz buffs talk about the giants of the instrument, they
talk about Oscar Peterson, Teddy Wilson, Bud Powell, Bill Evans,
Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, Bennie Green, etc.
They don't mention Count Basie, Duke Ellington or Stan Kenton
as being at that level of performance.

Compare Woody Herman to Buddy DeFranco, or Charlie Barnett to
Sonny Rollins. The only two bandleaders I can think of who are
also acknowledged to be giants of their respective instruments
are Dizzy Gillespie and Buddy Rich.

So it is with Miles. He was a good trumpet player, but certainly
not in the same league with guys like Dizzy, Clifford Brown,
or even Freddie Hubbard or Woody Shaw. But Miles was a musical
innovator and visionary. Sure he had great players around him,
but he also had the genius to not only recognize the great young
talent when he saw it, he knew which of these guys would be able
to do the things he wanted them to do.

It was like that with Ellington as well. He was also a great
musical innovator and needed not just good players, but the right
players to carry off what he wanted to do. I expect that in
centuries to come, music historians will see Ellington as one
of the great 20th century composers like Aaron Copland,
George Gershwin, Serge Prokofiev, etc. He was much more than
a band leader.

Russ Button

PS. In the issue of Miles vs. Wynton, it is well known that
Miles didn't care for Wynton. During the 1980's, Miles Davis'
favorite trumpet player was Woody Shaw. If you're not familiar
with Woody Shaw, his "Rosewood" alblum was Downbeat Magazine's
1978 alblum of the year and is a must for any serious jazz collector.
Do a search for "Woody Shaw" at Amazon.com and that's the very
first thing that comes up.