Patricia Brine

Default Please help-having trouble with Kenwood Reciever

It's a Kenwood VR 509
The components I'm connecting to it are a cable box (motorola)
vcr (Panasonic), DVD player (via component inputs) and cassette deck.
I have connected the output of the cable box to the input of the vcr
via the back RCA jacks ( I think they're called L1 or AUX) and run a
tripleheader RCA cable to the PLAY IN of the Video 1 input of the
reciever. I have then run another tripleheader (yellow, red, white)
cable from the REC out (for the Audio) and Video 1 out (for the video)
to Input 1 of the TV. No luck. Could it be a few bad cables? I have
tried using the MONITOR OUT from the reciever and have gotten a picture
from the VCR thru the reciever, but not much in the way of sound..
I am hoping that the DVD and tape deck will be lots easier to connect

any pointers, hints, tips or diagrams would be much appreciated

I USED to have it all working, but that was before I got flooded out. I
only got 4 inches of water, so no damage to the tv/vcr or reciever, but
I had to take it all apart, and I have no idea as to how it was so that
it worked okay. I think I could use the Video 1 output on the reciever,
but I don't seem to be getting a picture

thanks

JB
Gary A. Edelstein

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:28:05 GMT, Patricia Brine
wrote:

[...]

The link to the manual for the receiver is he

ftp://docs.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/OM...-2001-KUSA.pdf

Most home theater enthusiasts don't bother to use the A/V switching
capabilities of a receiver to send sound to a TV. After all, that's
what the speakers hooked up to the receiver are for. However, it
normally is possible to send both a video and audio feed to a TV if
desired, but you have to avoid a setup that would allow an audio
feedback loop through the TV.

I'll provide a recommended hook up based on your description. I'll
assume the cable box doesn't have A/V outs. If it does, post back and
I'll modify this.

Cable box: RF out to VCR antenna in.

VCR: RF out to TV antenna in. L/R analog audio and composite vid out
to receiver vid 1 inputs.

DVD Player: Coax or tosliink (optical) audio out to receiver digital
audio in. Component or S-Vid out to appropriate TV input or receiver
input. With your components I see no reason to use the receiver
input; you can hook it directly to the TV. If you ever add another
source with component video, such as a HDTV tuner, then you may want
to use the component vid switching on the receiver if the TV only has
one component in.

Cassette deck: L/R audio outs to receiver MD/Tape ins, L/R audio
inputs from receiver MD/Tape outs.

Receiver: Composite monitor out to TV composite vid in. To get sound
to the TV speakers, an optional connection is the L/R audio monitor
out (the receiver manual on page 8 shows this connection labeled
monitor) to a TV L/R line level audio input corresponding to the
composite vid in on the TV. If you setup this audio connection, then
don't hook up an audio out from the TV to the receiver so you avoid a
feedback loop. Keep in mind that most receivers don't convert the
digital audio from the DVD player to analog, so there likely won't be
sound from the DVD player through this connection unless you hook up
the DVD player's analog L/R audio to say, CD/DVD, as shown on page 8.
Also, given that I recommend you hook up the RF out from the VCR to
the TV antenna input, you will get sound from the TV speakers (which
will likely be mono) through the TV tuner on the channel the cable box
RF out is on (normally VHF channels 2, 3, or 4) or the channel the VCR
RF out is on (channels 3 or 4). To record from the box you'll have to
set the VCR tuner to the channel the box RF out is on.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Patricia Brine

Thanks, Mr. Edelstein and all who replied to my question. Since I could
adjust the type of input and all that, I figured it out and used the
video 2 input. Everything is okay, so far

JB