Posted to rec.audio.pro
rboy rboy is offline

Default Any reason to get Toast these days?

We haven't had a current version of Toast around here in ages.
Everything Roxio kept adding had nothing to do with my workflow, and
between several free apps (Simply Burns, etc) all of my audio burning
and archiving needs have been taken care of fine. I doubt I even have
an upgradeable version, it's been that many versions since I relied on
Roxio, especially after it went temporarily wonky a few years ago
(arrival of Tiger?) Probably when Jam was dropped/folded in to Toast
is the last version we upgraded to.

Now looking at the holiday sales I'm wondering if there's anything
that makes it worth having for $40 or whatever. Anything make it
better than the no frills free options that used Apple's built-in
engine? I don't burn audio masters, just typical discs for audio
playback, and send wavs for duplication or mastering, so even creating
more suitable CD masters isn't a plus.

Yea nor nay? : )

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

On Dec 9, 9:37*am, rboy wrote:
[...]

I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote...
I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?

Huh? Because Toast only runs on a Mac?
Your question doesn't make any sense.
Wanna try that again?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vdubreeze@verizon.net is offline

On Dec 9, 9:52*pm, wrote:

I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?

Because before Apple made burning a part of its system, if you had a
Mac based studio you had Jam for CDs and Toast for everything else.
(Unless you liked torturing yourself with Masterlist CD). And since
it took quite a while for Apple's burn engine to work the way most
people were used to, Roxio maintained a pretty good hold on that OSX
CD and DVD burning market, though it fell off once the engine got so
easy to write for, which cooincided with a buggy phase for Toast, so
it lost ground to the free and shareware apps.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

On Dec 9, 7:10*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
wrote...
I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?

Huh? *Because Toast only runs on a Mac?
Your question doesn't make any sense.
Wanna try that again?

Sorry dude, this is 2008, almost 2009. Toast is so 1990's. I didn't
mean to upset you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 9, 7:22*pm, wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:52*pm, wrote:

I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?

Because before Apple made burning a part of its system, if you had a
Mac based studio you had Jam for CDs and Toast for everything else.
(Unless you liked torturing yourself with Masterlist CD). * And since
it took quite a while for Apple's burn engine to work the way most
people were used to, Roxio maintained a pretty good hold on that OSX
CD and DVD burning market, though it fell off once the engine got so
easy to write for, which cooincided with a buggy phase for Toast, so
it lost ground to the free and shareware apps.

Thank you for putting that so well!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:10=A0pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
wrote...
I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?

Huh? =A0Because Toast only runs on a Mac?
Your question doesn't make any sense.
Wanna try that again?

Sorry dude, this is 2008, almost 2009. Toast is so 1990's. I didn't
mean to upset you.

Does this mean I have to stop using the Ampex now?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:52�pm, wrote:

I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?

Because before Apple made burning a part of its system, if you had a
Mac based studio you had Jam for CDs and Toast for everything else.
(Unless you liked torturing yourself with Masterlist CD). And since
it took quite a while for Apple's burn engine to work the way most
people were used to, Roxio maintained a pretty good hold on that OSX
CD and DVD burning market, though it fell off once the engine got so
easy to write for, which cooincided with a buggy phase for Toast, so
it lost ground to the free and shareware apps.

"torturing yourself with MasterList CD"? The control of the PQ and
setting of spacing is so much easier on MLCD than any other red book
burning program I have ever used that it is laughable.

MLCD also allows gain changes on one channel. I haven't seen that on
other programs.

The only torture was that there was no global import of data into
MLCD.

I still use MLCD and Sound Designer for a lot of my work. (On a very
old computer) I still use a Mac Centris 650 and a Mac 9600, though I
also have OSX system computers.

I use Toast for Backup CD's.

On my OSX system I use ProTools and Peak. Toast Lite is used for DVD
and CD backup. I don't really care for the built in apple burning
application.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] spigmu@gmail.com is offline

On Dec 9, 10:22*pm, wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:52*pm, wrote:

I take it you are on a Mac? And if so, why would you even consider
Toast?

Because before Apple made burning a part of its system, if you had a
Mac based studio you had Jam for CDs and Toast for everything else.
(Unless you liked torturing yourself with Masterlist CD). * And since
it took quite a while for Apple's burn engine to work the way most
people were used to, Roxio maintained a pretty good hold on that OSX
CD and DVD burning market, though it fell off once the engine got so
easy to write for, which cooincided with a buggy phase for Toast, so
it lost ground to the free and shareware apps.

Actually, there's a big reason the apps that use Apple's burning
engine (nearly all the free/shareware ones) may be unworkable for
some. Apple's Disc Recording Framework, which they all rely on, does
not support multisession burns in most ways, especially in how they
appear on when mounted when they can be done at all. BTW, I'm no
genius, I just know that from using Simply Burns and that's what he
says : ) May have changed recently, but I'm still unable to burn
appendable DVDs on any free OSX burning app. Toast, IIRC, does not
have this issue. A dealbreaker/maker, perhaps?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 10, 1:43*pm, Richard Kuschel wrote:

"torturing yourself with MasterList CD"? The control of the PQ and
setting of spacing is so much easier on MLCD than any other red book
burning program I have ever used that it is laughable.

MLCD also allows gain changes on one channel. I haven't seen that on
other programs.

The only torture was that there was no global import of data into
MLCD.

I still use MLCD and Sound Designer for a lot of my work. (On a very
old computer) I still use a Mac Centris 650 and a Mac 9600, though I
also have OSX system computers.

Richard, I understand all too well (I have my MLCD disk here
somewhere). But a great app discontinued 8 years ago that had been
orphaned literally years before it was dropped is still a long
orphaned, discontinued app that wouldn't burn on 90% of the drives you
could buy today. : ) I found it an infuriating program to use at
its finest hour. You had to have one of three mechanisms out of the
20 out there, and every year the big update news was that they added
another drive! Whoopee!!!

(Just giving you a hard time : ) )
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] spigmu@gmail.com is offline

Default multisession DVDs, it's a Mac issue, not any app

Well,I just pored over the Toast support site, and:

"The Mac OS does not display multiple DVD sessions correctly – data
from sessions is not accessible. As such, Toast does not allow burning
multi-session DVDS. "

So Toast was tripped up by the Tiger innards as well, meaning there's
not much it offers in the burning dept. above the free alternatives,
AFAIK. Apparently BluRay will, but I've not gone there yet.