J. Roberts

Default BLUE Mics vs. JZ Mics

Anybody seen this yet:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/

They claim to be the designers and manufacturers of all of the BLUE
mics (other than the more recent made-in-China ones). Supposedly,
BLUE's contract with them has run out, and they're selling them
directly now under the "JZ recording Equipment" name.

Anybody know the real scoop?

Is Skipper around?
play on

On 11 Mar 2005 21:26:41 -0800, (J. Roberts)
wrote:

Anybody seen this yet:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/

They claim to be the designers and manufacturers of all of the BLUE
mics (other than the more recent made-in-China ones). Supposedly,
BLUE's contract with them has run out, and they're selling them
directly now under the "JZ recording Equipment" name.

Anybody know the real scoop?

I dunno but the first thing you see on their web page is a guy in a
clown suit...

Al
WillStG

J. Roberts wrote:
Anybody seen this yet:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/

They claim to be the designers and manufacturers of all of the BLUE
mics (other than the more recent made-in-China ones). Supposedly,
BLUE's contract with them has run out, and they're selling them
directly now under the "JZ recording Equipment" name.

This is the factory company link - but their line of mics looks a
bit different than the BLUE mics.

http://violet-design.com/

Dave Martin

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Pal-Yat-Chee? (Spike Jones with Homer and Jethro)

"When we listen to Pal-yat-chee, we get itchy and scratchy..."

"This sure is top corn, so we go and buy some popcorn."

"We hate to go back, but we can't get our dough back"

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

J. Roberts

"WillStG" wrote in message...
This is the factory company link - but their line of mics looks a
bit different than the BLUE mics.

The mics here sure don't look any different (except that the Mouse
looks like it put on a bit of weight):

Blueberry: http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j2.html

Mouse: http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j2.html

Dragonfly: http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j4.html

Baby Bottle: http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j1.html
WillStG

J. Roberts wrote:
"WillStG" wrote in message...
This is the factory company link - but their line of mics

looks a
bit different than the BLUE mics.

The mics here sure don't look any different (except that the Mouse
looks like it put on a bit of weight):

Blueberry:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j2.html

Mouse:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j2.html

Dragonfly:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j4.html

Baby Bottle:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/html/www_...oducts_j1.html

Hey now J., you gotsta pay better attention. g Is it *that
*hard to click on the link I posted? .

Go to www.violet-design.com - the name should be a "hint".

The jz-recording.lv site links to that site in a not really obvious
way (I forget how though), and the mics ARE different than the BLUE
line but with that familiar crafting/look.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away." Tom Waits

Rob Reedijk

J. Roberts wrote:
Anybody seen this yet:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/

They claim to be the designers and manufacturers of all of the BLUE
mics (other than the more recent made-in-China ones). Supposedly,
BLUE's contract with them has run out, and they're selling them
directly now under the "JZ recording Equipment" name.

I couldn't find the claim to be the designers of BLUE. I find the fact
that they are calling them "Violet" rather disturbing. And they don't
look exactly the same as the various BLUE mics.

But they aren't even the first to steal the look, if that is what is
going on. M-Audio already did that.

Anybody know the real scoop?

Is Skipper around?

I hope he does tell us what is happening.

Rob R.
J. Roberts

Um, OK. I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. They sell mic's at
the JZ site that look *exactly* like the BLUE mics. And they sell
mics on the Violet site that look different. JZ has claimed to be the
original designers and manufacturers of BLUE mics, and say that BLUE's
contract with them has expired. If that's true, it would presumably
have a *huge* impact on BLUE's business. I was just wondering if
anyone knew anything about this. I haven't seen BLUE comment on it,
but I know that BLUE representatives read r.a.p. from time to time.

"WillStG" wrote in message
Hey now J., you gotsta pay better attention. g Is it *that
*hard to click on the link I posted? .

Go to www.violet-design.com - the name should be a "hint".

WillStG

J. Roberts wrote:
Um, OK. I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. They sell mic's at
the JZ site that look *exactly* like the BLUE mics. And they sell
mics on the Violet site that look different.

What *I* said was, the Violet mics look different. And I got there
from a JZ site link - which is why I posted the link.

JZ has claimed to be the
original designers and manufacturers of BLUE mics, and say that

BLUE's
contract with them has expired. If that's true, it would presumably
have a *huge* impact on BLUE's business. I was just wondering if
anyone knew anything about this. I haven't seen BLUE comment on it,
but I know that BLUE representatives read r.a.p. from time to time.

It was the original poster that made that said that - near as I can
tell anyway.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES

J. Roberts

Rob Reedijk wrote...
I couldn't find the claim to be the designers of BLUE.

It's been posted to a few recording forums. This is from Violet's own
forum (Violet and JZ appear to be related companies):

"There is going around discussion about the question – who is designer
and owner of the colored microphones sold under "Blue" name, "Violet
Design" microphone line, and the coming out classic microphone line
under "JZ Recording Equipment" name. Above microphone products have
one private owner of the visual design, the technical design and the
manufacturing technology – Mr. Juris Zarins from Latvia. First
designed microphone model was "Blueberry" (named so by US trade
company "Blue"). Next models - "Mouse's", "Dragonfly's", "Cactus",
"Kivi", "Baby Bottle's" and a number of microphone accessories
followed.

The most important part of the microphone – capsules use hard to clone
manufacturing technology, it prevents the original product from cheap
copying and degradation of image. Product manufacturing is organised
under agreement between Mr. Juris Zarins (as owner of the product) and
manufacturer. During the last three years it was impossible to come
to written agreement between "Blue" company and manufacturer, and as
the result manufacturing of above microphone models and accessories
for "Blue" was cancelled in October 2004.

57 people involved in microphone design and manufacturing are able to
confirm above information.

Sorry for my US English.

Juris Zarins"
ceedub

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message
J. Roberts wrote:
Anybody seen this yet:

http://www.jz-recording.lv/

They claim to be the designers and manufacturers of all of the BLUE
mics (other than the more recent made-in-China ones). Supposedly,
BLUE's contract with them has run out, and they're selling them
directly now under the "JZ recording Equipment" name.

I couldn't find the claim to be the designers of BLUE. I find the fact
that they are calling them "Violet" rather disturbing. And they don't
look exactly the same as the various BLUE mics.

But they aren't even the first to steal the look, if that is what is
going on. M-Audio already did that.

Anybody know the real scoop?

Is Skipper around?

I hope he does tell us what is happening.

Rob R.

Well, if the JZ-6 really is a "Baby Bottle," it's not priced too far off
from the BLUE mic. The JZ-6 is listed at $550 USD, whereas MF is selling the
Baby Bottle at $599 (though list is $799).

If this is true, I wonder what's going to happen to BLUE. According to their
website, these really are engineered and produced in Latvia, so it sounds
like they may run into some trouble.

Craig

Scott Dorsey

Ty Ford wrote:
So Skipper didn't design the mics?

No, the mikes were designed by Martin Saulspurens, who is Skipper's
partner. The two of them basically went back and forth through a lot
of iterations until Martin had built mikes that were voiced the way Skipper
wanted them to sound.

Martin is a smart guy, and he actually knows about mikes. He knows a few
things about tensioning and backplate configuration that seem to elude most
of the newer manufacturers. There is no question in my mind that he is
actually a real microphone designer.

Maetin and Skipper both show up together at the trade shows, and Martin's
English isn't all that great but he's still a fun guy to talk to about
microphones.

Whether they have contracted out some or all of the actual manufacturing,
I don't know. But that's a question for them.

The most important part of the microphone – capsules use hard to clone
manufacturing technology, it prevents the original product from cheap
copying and degradation of image.

Well tell that to the Chinese.

The Chinese can copy the look, but none of the Chinese factories know of
a correct technique to tension diaphragms evenly. This seems to be something
of a minor secret in the industry even though there are a couple of different
ways to do it.

I have toured several microphone plants, and pretty much all of the ones
that were making good condenser mikes had some room that they wouldn't let
me look inside, where the diaphragms were actually attached.

The Chinese will show you how they do it. In fact, the SE Electronics booth
at the last AES show had on display one of the trampoline arrangements that
they use. These methods, for the most part, work very poorly.

Product manufacturing is organised
under agreement between Mr. Juris Zarins (as owner of the product) and
manufacturer. During the last three years it was impossible to come
to written agreement between "Blue" company and manufacturer, and as
the result manufacturing of above microphone models and accessories
for "Blue" was cancelled in October 2004.

57 people involved in microphone design and manufacturing are able to
confirm above information.

Like whom?

The question is not so much whether they did contract work for BLUE, but whether
BLUE told them enough that they can actually make a complete product accurately
on their own.

Steve Scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:
No, the mikes were designed by Martin Saulspurens, who is Skipper's
partner. The two of them basically went back and forth through a lot
of iterations until Martin had built mikes that were voiced the way

Skipper
wanted them to sound.

You sure about that Scott? I've corresponded briefly with Mr. Zurins,
and his published statements of design and ownership sure appear
confident. And IMO BLUE always came across as marketing someone else's
technology... not to say that Mr. Saulespurens didn't organize or
supervise particular design directions.

Steve

Scott Dorsey

Steve Scott wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
No, the mikes were designed by Martin Saulspurens, who is Skipper's
partner. The two of them basically went back and forth through a lot
of iterations until Martin had built mikes that were voiced the way

Skipper
wanted them to sound.

You sure about that Scott? I've corresponded briefly with Mr. Zurins,
and his published statements of design and ownership sure appear
confident. And IMO BLUE always came across as marketing someone else's
technology... not to say that Mr. Saulespurens didn't organize or
supervise particular design directions.

I'm sure about that, but I'm not sure what they may have contracted out.

I do know that the first year they showed up at the AES show it was very
hard to tell WHAT they were doing. They had a bunch of Russian mikes in
various stages of disassembly, both vintage and new, and a lot of different
mike parts that they were selling. At the time, Martins had hardly any
English and my Russian is limited to asking for the bathroom and for the
life of me I couldn't figure out what they were actually selling other
than that they were offering mike rebuilding services of some sort.

They still do mike rebuilding, and Martins knows what he's doing.

That's not to say that they actually do any of the manufacturing themselves.
They may have contracted all or part of it out. That's a question for
Skipper. All I can really contribute is to say that one of the principals
of BLUE is a real microphone engineer, which is more than most microphone
vendors can say today.

Steve Scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Steve Scott wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
No, the mikes were designed by Martin Saulspurens, who is

Skipper's
partner. The two of them basically went back and forth through a

lot
of iterations until Martin had built mikes that were voiced the

way
Skipper
wanted them to sound.

You sure about that Scott? I've corresponded briefly with Mr.

Zurins,
and his published statements of design and ownership sure appear
confident. And IMO BLUE always came across as marketing someone

else's
technology... not to say that Mr. Saulespurens didn't organize or
supervise particular design directions.

I'm sure about that, but I'm not sure what they may have contracted

out.

snip

They still do mike rebuilding, and Martins knows what he's doing.

That's not to say that they actually do any of the manufacturing

themselves.
They may have contracted all or part of it out. That's a question

for
Skipper. All I can really contribute is to say that one of the

principals
of BLUE is a real microphone engineer, which is more than most

microphone
vendors can say today.

Well, I just thought it was interesting that I can't find any Blue mics
in stock anywhere, except for the random old-stock straggler. And the
JZ and Violet folks both seem to be shipping them right now. If
Martins owned those designs I'd think his Blue company would still be
selling them.

But now Blue is offering "Red" through their vintagemicrophone.com
site. They have one mic available. Also on that site is this
statement:

-- "We do not offer service or repair work for any microphone. All of
the parts and accessories we have to offer are accessible here through
the online store. If you can't find it, we don't have it. Click here
for a list of links we have compiled for your convenience regarding
information, parts, and services not offered by us."

That sure sounds like they're out of the restoration business.

I'm not too concerned one way or the other, I just think if Juris
Zarins is the original engineer and designer, then he certainly should
be recognized and compensated. AFAIK there has not been any public
comment from Blue on this matter, and "Mr. Burn" hasn't posted here for
a long time... shrugs

Steve

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

Well, I just thought it was interesting that I can't find any Blue mics
in stock anywhere

Interesting. Even at Guitar Center? That was their big break into big
business, much to the consternation of many of the fans of the "old"
company, but putting Blue products on GC shelves brought some
interesting mics to a lot of people who might never have tried them.

But now Blue is offering "Red" through their vintagemicrophone.com
site. They have one mic available. Also on that site is this
statement:

-- "We do not offer service or repair work for any microphone.

It could be that with others offering the service, it just wasn't
worth devoting their time to it. A friend of mine recently bought a
Kiwi capsule (on Blue's recommendation) to replace the dead capsule in
one of his U87s, installed it with Ari's assistance (wiring is a bit
different) and it's as good a match to his other U87s as any U87
picked at random would be. So while they may not be actually working
on mics that come in the door, they're still willing to support
repairs and repairers with advice and parts.

I'm not too concerned one way or the other, I just think if Juris
Zarins is the original engineer and designer, then he certainly should
be recognized and compensated.

I'm sure he has been compensated. Do you know who designed any
microphone (other than Stephen Sank's father, because we're read about
him here) before about five years ago when we started becoming
conscious of these things?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Rob Reedijk

I have been in touch with Ari Soudak and he has sent me this:

Statement regarding Violet Designs and JZ Recording:

As is common in our industry, when you do something well, everyone wants a
piece of it. The microphone marketplace has been flooded with look-alike
products that promise equal performance for less. As manufacturers, we
believe that consumers will be "once bitten, twice shy." This is one of our
primary motivations for designing uniquely styled and superior performing
products. Furthermore, we would strongly caution buyers from buying
products of dubious design and origin.

We are aware of the activities of Violet Design and JZ Recording, which
involve the unauthorized production and attempt to sell copies of several
Blue products. They are indeed in violation of our trademark, trade dress
and intellectual property rights. These parties have also attempted to
mislead our distributors and customers about the origins and identity of
our products. Our legal department is handling the situation.

As we at Blue Microphones celebrate our 10th anniversary, we maintain the
same commitment to sonic quality, innovative design, and integrity that has
won us the accolades of critics, retailers, and customers the world over.

The recent announcement of our distribution partnership with Telex
Communications and Electro Voice Microphones is a sign of the quality and
growth you should expect from Blue Microphones from now and into the future.

Sincerely,

Blue Management

Furthermore, there is this article:
http://prosoundnews.com/articles/article_1644.shtml

Which shows you that BLUE is very much alive.

Rob R.
Steve Scott

Mike Rivers wrote:

I'm sure he has been compensated. Do you know who designed any
microphone (other than Stephen Sank's father, because we're read

about
him here) before about five years ago when we started becoming
conscious of these things?

I didn't write that very well... I know what you mean about the
"boutique" designers now vs. regular old factory mic engineers, I
wasn't really concerned about those "bragging rights". I was just
remarking that there apparently is a dispute underway about ownership
for future mfg rights -- it often happens that original
founders/owners/designers/whatever get the short end due to having less
lawyer money, etc. And I don't like it, for whichever one may lose out
here.

As a mechanical engineer I deal with a lot of similar kinds of
marketing and manufacturing pressure to "control" my designs -- it can
turn into manipulation pretty easily sometimes.

Rob, I saw that post on the Blue forum too. Sounds like everyone's
convinced they are right, I guess it'll be a legal discussion now.

Steve

Scott Dorsey

Mike Rivers wrote:

I'm sure he has been compensated. Do you know who designed any
microphone (other than Stephen Sank's father, because we're read

about
him here) before about five years ago when we started becoming
conscious of these things?

How about Misters Shure?

Rob Reedijk

Steve Scott wrote:

Rob, I saw that post on the Blue forum too. Sounds like everyone's
convinced they are right, I guess it'll be a legal discussion now.

Perhaps. But at this point, anyone buying a JZ or Violet mic thinking
they are buying a BLUE mic are fools with their money soon parted.

Rob R.

Paul Stamler

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Mike Rivers wrote:

I'm sure he has been compensated. Do you know who designed any
microphone (other than Stephen Sank's father, because we're read

about
him here) before about five years ago when we started becoming
conscious of these things?

How about Misters Shure?

Harry Olson? Georg Neumann?

Peace,
Paul

play on

Mike Rivers wrote:

I'm sure he has been compensated. Do you know who designed any
microphone (other than Stephen Sank's father, because we're read

about
him here) before about five years ago when we started becoming
conscious of these things?

How about Misters Shure?

Harry Olson? Georg Neumann?

Uli Behringer?

just kidding...

Al
WillStG

Rob Reedijk wrote:
Steve Scott wrote:

Rob, I saw that post on the Blue forum too. Sounds like everyone's
convinced they are right, I guess it'll be a legal discussion now.

Perhaps. But at this point, anyone buying a JZ or Violet mic

thinking
they are buying a BLUE mic are fools with their money soon parted.

Rob R.

Speaking of which, did you guys see that someone on Ebay named
"Envisionmusic" - who says he's a regular on this group - came back
from China with 6 "U95S" Chinese clones? That look *exactly* like
my Soundelux U95S, except for the case, power supply, and of course the
capsule by "Blue" (dunno about the tube)... And he just sold one for
$1312!!!!

Ouch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
" The large proint giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

play on

On 18 Mar 2005 19:59:05 -0800, "WillStG" wrote:

Rob Reedijk wrote:
Steve Scott wrote:

Rob, I saw that post on the Blue forum too. Sounds like everyone's
convinced they are right, I guess it'll be a legal discussion now.

Perhaps. But at this point, anyone buying a JZ or Violet mic

thinking
they are buying a BLUE mic are fools with their money soon parted.

Rob R.

Speaking of which, did you guys see that someone on Ebay named
"Envisionmusic" - who says he's a regular on this group - came back
from China with 6 "U95S" Chinese clones? That look *exactly* like
my Soundelux U95S, except for the case, power supply, and of course the
capsule by "Blue" (dunno about the tube)... And he just sold one for
$1312!!!!

Ouch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Since he bought six I bet he paid about $400 apiece for them... nice.

Al
Rob Reedijk

Jay Levitt wrote:
In article ,
says...
I have been in touch with Ari Soudak and he has sent me this:

Statement regarding Violet Designs and JZ Recording:

[snip]

[Partial Unsnip]

"We are aware of the activities of Violet Design and JZ Recording, which
involve the unauthorized production and attempt to sell copies of several
Blue products. They are indeed in violation of our trademark, trade dress
and intellectual property rights. These parties have also attempted to
mislead our distributors and customers about the origins and identity of
our products. Our legal department is handling the situation."

That's awful vague.

I think it's pretty clear.

I am sure their legal department carefully crafted
that non-statement, but considering the big boost BLUE has had from the
Web, and Skipper's normal near-constant presence here, I'd feel better
with a statement explaining just what JZ's relationship with BLUE was,
what involvement he had with those mic designs, and whether BLUE has a
commitment to keep manufacturing them. This is antithetical to
traditional business-law practices, but it's inimical to modern Internet
communications. BLUE needs a presence boost.

I have to say I agree with you on one point and that is that Skipper
hasn't chimed in. And he should. On the other hand, JZ, and the posters
who have repeated his statements really have no background to what they
are saying. I have yet to hear one person who is actually connected
with the business (as opposed to a couple of guys who recently began posting
here) substantiate JZ/Violet's claims.

Rob R.

play on

Could it be possible that Skipper doesn't want to respond because of
pending legal action?

Al

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:23:05 -0500, Jay Levitt

says...
I have yet to hear one person who is actually connected
with the business (as opposed to a couple of guys who recently began posting
here) substantiate JZ/Violet's claims.

Ditto, substitute "refute" for "substantiate".

Neil Henderson

"play on" wrote in message
Could it be possible that Skipper doesn't want to respond because of
pending legal action?

Could be... then maybe we should ask him to respond based on whatever he can
say that wouldn't be affected by said legal action? Surely he has to be able
to say SOMETHING, if indeed he wants to.

Personally, I'd certainly be interested in what's going on... I'm a big fan
of B.L.U.E., having six of their mics (Kiwi, Blueberry, 2x Baby Bottles, and
2x of "The Ball") - I'd like to know just from a current consumer & "might
definitely buy more in the future" standpoint.

Neil Henderson

Roger W. Norman

Well, those of us expecting V7 of Samplitude were finally slowing down on
yelling about Magix' move to Emagic as distributor, only to find that Apple
purchased Emagic right out from under the then current distribution
agreement Magix had already signed. And we got not one word or hint prior
to the announcement from the Magix guys. So it's highly likely that if
there are legal considerations to be determined, then there won't be prior
word about what's happening.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Neil Henderson" wrote in message
m...

"play on" wrote in message
Could it be possible that Skipper doesn't want to respond because of
pending legal action?

Could be... then maybe we should ask him to respond based on whatever he

can
say that wouldn't be affected by said legal action? Surely he has to be

able
to say SOMETHING, if indeed he wants to.

Personally, I'd certainly be interested in what's going on... I'm a big

fan
of B.L.U.E., having six of their mics (Kiwi, Blueberry, 2x Baby Bottles,

and
2x of "The Ball") - I'd like to know just from a current consumer & "might
definitely buy more in the future" standpoint.

Neil Henderson

Ty Ford

I have to say I agree with you on one point and that is that Skipper
hasn't chimed in. And he should. On the other hand, JZ, and the posters
who have repeated his statements really have no background to what they
are saying. I have yet to hear one person who is actually connected
with the business (as opposed to a couple of guys who recently began posting
here) substantiate JZ/Violet's claims.

Rob R.

That Skipper hasn't posted anything tells me a lot.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com