Glowplug53

Default 539B Heater Current Measuring

Howdy,

What type of meter would I use if I pulled the strap to observe
heater current while a tube was under test? This is AC current.
TIA

GP53
Rich Sherman

Hello Glowplug:

You would place an AC Ammeter in series with the filament to
measure AC amperes. The meter type must be one that allows
for AC current readings.

Now, for the amperage capacity of the meter, I don't find a 539B tube
data, so you must know the current draw of the filament before you
connect any AC ammeter, else risk blowing a fuse or ruining the meter.

A 10 ampere fused AC ammeter might be a good 'blind' start. If the
fuse goes, you will require a more specialized AC ammeter
that can handle filament currents above 10 amperes.

What kind of valve (tube) is a 539B? I don't find this in the
Duncans Amps database.

Rich

Glowplug53 wrote in article
Howdy,

What type of meter would I use if I pulled the strap to observe
heater current while a tube was under test? This is AC current.
TIA

GP53

Phil Allison

"Rich Sherman"

What kind of valve (tube) is a 539B? I don't find this in the
Duncans Amps database.

** The "539B" is a Hickok tube tester.

Don't you just love ambiguous headings ??

............ Phil

Robert Casey

Phil Allison wrote:
"Rich Sherman"

What kind of valve (tube) is a 539B? I don't find this in the
Duncans Amps database.

** The "539B" is a Hickok tube tester.

Don't you just love ambiguous headings ??

Heh heh... had me going too. I was looking to see
what sort of tube a 539 might be...

In any event be careful that the ammeter itself doesn't
drop much voltage thru it. Also you'd want to know what the
voltage applied to the heater actually is. But heaters
are fairly forgiving.

Phil Allison

"Glowplug53"
Howdy,

What type of meter would I use if I pulled the strap to observe
heater current while a tube was under test? This is AC current.
TIA

** Try to get a nice "moving iron" meter with a large scale - 0 to 3 or
5 amps

A "moving iron" meter reads AC (amps rms, 50/60 Hz) and DC equally
ell - magic.

................. Phil

Phil Allison

"Carroll Conklin"
Phil,

The "moving iron" you refer to is normally called an "Iron Vane".

** No Mr Smartarse - "moving iron" is the common and trade name.

You are correct that this is an AC meter.

** No again, it is a AC/DC type - maybe just like you.

It should be said that this is the motor
type that moves the needle to a certain position.

** Noooooo fooooling ?????

Other types are D'Arsovol
( which is the most popular) and electrostatic (usually used for high
voltage) Iron Vanes, because of their universal appeal and age, are
getting
rarer than hen's teeth to find.

** This turkey speaks purest gobbledegook.

Gobble , gobble, gobble ........

............ Phil

Sander deWaal

"Carroll Conklin" said:

The "moving iron" you refer to is normally called an "Iron Vane". You are
correct that this is an AC meter. It should be said that this is the motor
type that moves the needle to a certain position. Other types are D'Arsovol
( which is the most popular) and electrostatic (usually used for high
voltage) Iron Vanes, because of their universal appeal and age, are getting
rarer than hen's teeth to find.

Nit-picking: that would be "D'Arsonval". :-)

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

Sander deWaal

"Carroll Conklin" said:

Thanks Sander. First thing in the morning typo. I got an earful from Phil. I
don't know how he got off my "block sender" list, but he is again neatly
tucked away.

Phil just can't help himself, he has Gilles de la Tourette syndrome in
written form.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

Phil Allison

"Carroll Conklin

Thanks Sander. First thing in the morning typo. I got an earful from Phil.

** Next time you go to Google to learn what a phrase I have used means,
find there some ****wit's web site full of bull****, then post that same
bull**** in contrary reply to my words - complete with added garbage of
your own .......

Expect to get more and much worse of a telling off - you posturing ass.

............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Jon Yaeger"

" Exacerbated by a fulminating case of anal compulsiveness . . . . "

** From the mouths of utter ****wits ......

.............. Phil

Sander deWaal

Phil Allison said:

** From the mouths of utter ****wits ......

............. Phil

You know, there *are* treatments for what you have.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
John Stewart

Phil Allison wrote:

"Carroll Conklin"
Phil,

The "moving iron" you refer to is normally called an "Iron Vane".

** No Mr Smartarse - "moving iron" is the common and trade name.

You are correct that this is an AC meter.

** No again, it is a AC/DC type - maybe just like you.

It should be said that this is the motor
type that moves the needle to a certain position.

** Noooooo fooooling ?????

Other types are D'Arsovol
( which is the most popular) and electrostatic (usually used for high
voltage) Iron Vanes, because of their universal appeal and age, are
getting
rarer than hen's teeth to find.

** This turkey speaks purest gobbledegook.

Gobble , gobble, gobble ........

........... Phil

A Google search of "Iron Vane Meter" quickly produced many hits,
so I suppose they (Google) are not aware of Phil's definition.

For example, see
http://www.yokogawa-usa.com/Product....1=26&Param2=33

I guess that would make me a "****wit"!

Cheers, John Stewart

Phil Allison

"Sander deWaal
Phil Allison said:

** From the mouths of utter ****wits ......

You know, there *are* treatments for what you have.

** What is the "treatment" for malicious assholes like you who snip posts
to create false impressions ??

What "social skill" is that ??

Looks more like a social disease.

............. Phil

Phil Allison

** Turn of that damn HTML you bloody imbecile !!!!!

........... Phil

Sander deWaal

"Phil Allison" said:

** What is the "treatment" for malicious assholes like you who snip posts
to create false impressions ??

Ask around how many people would agree with you.

What "social skill" is that ??
Looks more like a social disease.

Whenever you're visiting the US, be sure to have a beer with Willie
Whittaker AKA Lord Valve.
The two of you are woven from the same cloth. Or would that be clod?

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Sander deWaal

"Phil Allison" said:

** Turn of that damn HTML you bloody imbecile !!!!!

Geez! What are you like when you're *really* angry?

.......... Phil

BTW I snipped all your unnecessary white lines.

insert obligate Allison insult here

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

John Stewart

Phil Allison wrote:

** Turn of that damn HTML you bloody imbecile !!!!!

.......... Phil

Does it hurt when you think? JLS

Phil Allison

"John Stewart"

Phil Allison wrote:

** Turn of that damn HTML you bloody imbecile !!!!!

.......... Phil

Does it hurt when you think?

** Must be excruciating for you - since you avoid the effort on all
occasions.

.......... Phil

Phil Allison

"Sander deWaal"
"Phil Allison"

** What is the "treatment" for malicious assholes like you who snip posts
to create false impressions ??

Ask around how many people would agree with you.

** What is the "treatment" for malicious assholes like you who claim there
are many others just like them ??

What "social skill" is that ??
Looks more like a social disease.

Whenever you're visiting the US, be sure to have a beer with Willie
Whittaker AKA Lord Valve.

** Now there is the name of a social disease.

The two of you are woven from the same cloth. Or would that be clod?

** Really - does he use the term " moving iron" as well ?

.............. Phil

Adam Stouffer

Sander deWaal wrote:

Phil Allison said:

** From the mouths of utter ****wits ......

............. Phil

You know, there *are* treatments for what you have.

Oh someday we'll all be old and cranky like Phil. I bet he has the same
affliction as Joe Pesci, short person syndrome.

Adam
Doak Wattigney

Thatta boy Adam.
Lord Valve does RULE!
Always makes sense in my book.

You other guys just see the world through that wimpy, warped "euro"
perspective.

Ha....got the asbestos suit on.

"Adam Stouffer" wrote in message
Sander deWaal wrote:

Phil Allison said:

** From the mouths of utter ****wits ......

............. Phil

You know, there *are* treatments for what you have.

Oh someday we'll all be old and cranky like Phil. I bet he has the same
affliction as Joe Pesci, short person syndrome.

Adam

Lord Valve

They're all crying in their Foster's over John Howard winning.
It's *killin'* 'em. ;-)

Ain't it grand?

Lord Valve
American

Sander deWaal wrote:

Phil Allison said:

** From the mouths of utter ****wits ......

............. Phil

You know, there *are* treatments for what you have.

Oh someday we'll all be old and cranky like Phil. I bet he has the same
affliction as Joe Pesci, short person syndrome.

Adam

Sander deWaal

"Doak Wattigney" said:

Thatta boy Adam.
Lord Valve does RULE!
Always makes sense in my book.

When it is about tubes, I agree.
When it's about anything else, he's full of crap.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Patrick Turner

Sander deWaal wrote:

"Doak Wattigney" said:

Thatta boy Adam.
Lord Valve does RULE!
Always makes sense in my book.

When it is about tubes, I agree.
When it's about anything else, he's full of crap.

But Sander, didn't you realise our Moppet Valve is a bleedin
expert on Australian politics?

The Oz election, unlike the Spanish election, shows that
most Oz folks couldn't give a ****e about any social or foreign affairs
issues and as long as interest rates don't rise on the record high
mortgages
on houses, and people are employed, with full bellies, **** all else
matters.

The opposition leader we have has only been at the job a few months, and
he is yet to
mature into a force especially if Lil Johnny Brown Nose starts making
mistakes
that all leaders make before they eventually leave politics.
Lil JBN knows about as much about human rights as LV,
but he sure does know about keeping a country's accounts in the black,
and that's the greater thing in voters eyes here.

It would have been some what different had we had say 100 lives lost
in our infinitessimally small contribution to the
stealing of oil from Iraq.

Maybe the Oz soldiers in far away places know how to keep out of trouble
better than the
yanks!

Maybe oil prices will soar, interest rates will rise despite Johnny,
and unemployment may creep up, and Johhny will be stuffed.
Its happened before quite a bit.....

About 7% voted for the Greens, which is an enchoraging sign, at least
a few people are concerned about the way the rest of Oz trashes our
environment.

Patrick Turner.

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."

Mike Diack

Patrick Turner wrote in news:416D4FD1.CD5664C0
@turneraudio.com.au:

The Oz election, unlike the Spanish election, shows that
most Oz folks couldn't give a ****e about any social or foreign

affairs
issues and as long as interest rates don't rise on the record high
mortgages
on houses, and people are employed, with full bellies, **** all else
matters.

snip

Dear Pat - please dont start on Aus politics - it's every bit as
stultifyingly boring as NZ politics (just bigger).The electronics groups
are already infested with US politics much to their detriment. There
must be other more appropriate groups to go save/run the world.

About 7% voted for the Greens, which is an enchoraging sign, at least
a few people are concerned about the way the rest of Oz trashes our
environment.

*** help us from the loony worm farmers :-)
cheers
Patrick Turner

Mike Diack wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote in news:416D4FD1.CD5664C0
@turneraudio.com.au:

The Oz election, unlike the Spanish election, shows that
most Oz folks couldn't give a ****e about any social or foreign

affairs
issues and as long as interest rates don't rise on the record high
mortgages
on houses, and people are employed, with full bellies, **** all else
matters.

snip

Dear Pat - please dont start on Aus politics - it's every bit as
stultifyingly boring as NZ politics (just bigger).The electronics groups
are already infested with US politics much to their detriment. There
must be other more appropriate groups to go save/run the world.

I small drop of Oz politics won't make your brain fall out of your head.
LV is wrong about everyone being sad about the election.

The problem with groups is that the people partaking are human.
They focus in on one group, and get to know a few dudes,
and they like to discuss OT with those dudes, not ppl who
they don't know, ain't used to, and don't like arguing with
on the groups where politics is the main topic, and where OT
things about electronics and cars and pop stars ain't right to mention.
God, what a dull world it'd be if we always only ever
stayed on topic!

About 7% voted for the Greens, which is an enchoraging sign, at least
a few people are concerned about the way the rest of Oz trashes our
environment.

*** help us from the loony worm farmers :-)
cheers

I will agree to disagree with you about the "worm farmers",
but you ought to see the mess the Murray river has become,
and in 200 years, I doubt Oz will be as able as it is now to
produce all its own food and export to elsewhere.
The Styx valley in Tasmania where the tallest eucalypts grow is being logged
mercilessly
for bloomin wood chips for japan. Maybe you're real happy to see such
ancient
natural wonders flattened, but I say our country is wealthy enough to
put asside the plundering of such places, on which the tourist industry
depends.

Maybe you like the sight of bulldozers rolling across every square inch
of countryside and destroying all, but I don't.

I'd rather be primarily concerned about my triodes,
but sometimes I look out the window, and I don't always like what I see.

And we had the hottest ever recorded october springtime temperature
yesterday.
Its queer, the Greens blame the T rise on the Red Necks, who know sfa about
the
greenhouse effect.

Imho, the world needs a few worm farmers to point out the excesses
of the loony right.

Patrick Turner.