chung

Default Blindtest question

All Ears wrote:

I do not disagree about the basic idea of blind tests, done under the right
circumstances. It is always good with a reality check.

However, I must also admit that I like choosing things like cables, from how
I think they sound in my system. This is despite the fact that I know that I
probably not will be able to identify these cables in a blind test. But then
again, if changing something like set of speaker cables can change my
perception of the sound from being harsh, bright, laid back, etc. into
something pleasing, then why not do it?

No other reason except you are spending money where it makes the least
audible difference. If money is no object (and perhaps even if it is),
do it if that makes you happy.

KE

Richard D Pierce

In article cXB_a.139754$uu5.19479@sccrnsc04,
All Ears wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
. net...
"All Ears" wrote"

can recommend blind testing beer, nobody can taste any difference within
the same type of beer anyway. Lots of money to save....

So then why not for audio components?

I do not disagree about the basic idea of blind tests, done under the right
circumstances. It is always good with a reality check.

However, I must also admit that I like choosing things like cables, from how
I think they sound in my system. This is despite the fact that I know that I
probably not will be able to identify these cables in a blind test. But then
again, if changing something like set of speaker cables can change my
perception of the sound from being harsh, bright, laid back, etc. into
something pleasing, then why not do it?

Absolutely, why not? Certainly I, having been tarred with the
objectivist brush, have no objection whatsoever. You have a
method which works for you.

But it's the elevation of personal preference to physical,
universal fact that the problem begins. It's a very different
thing to say "I like this cable because such-and-such," it's a
very different thing to claim "this cable IS better because of
the elimination of interstrand charge jumping and the
elimination of intercrystalline micro-diode effects." And it's
also a very different kettle of fish to start dragging out
excuses like "your system doesn't have enough resolution" and
such when one's first claims of "clear and obvious differences"
are not born out.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |

All Ears

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"All Ears" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
[...]

Well; it could limit the sonic throughput of your system. Or deliver the

wrong
market data. If hadn't spent the money on the wires you could have

purchased
more recordings OR given more money to the orchestra of your choice.

Buying the wire may have inadvertantley limited the availability of
acoustically performed concerts in the long run.

Of course my argument is just that. No one of us makes these decisions.

But we
should be happy that the market as a whole is probably not directly

endorsing
the cut-back of classical music performance.

But it surely isn't helping.

I am actually using classical and acoustic music as referance, I don't think
that my choice of cables has any negative impact in reprodusing this kind of
music.

KE

All Ears

"chung" wrote in message
All Ears wrote:

I do not disagree about the basic idea of blind tests, done under the

right
circumstances. It is always good with a reality check.

However, I must also admit that I like choosing things like cables, from

how
I think they sound in my system. This is despite the fact that I know

that I
probably not will be able to identify these cables in a blind test. But

then
again, if changing something like set of speaker cables can change my
perception of the sound from being harsh, bright, laid back, etc. into
something pleasing, then why not do it?

No other reason except you are spending money where it makes the least
audible difference. If money is no object (and perhaps even if it is),
do it if that makes you happy.

Since the rest of the components are among the best money can buy, and I do
feel a difference from the choice of cables, I use the ones I like. Of
course, things must be put into the right perspective. A set of 3000 USD
speaker cables would be a poor investment in a 1000 USD system.

KE

KE

chung

All Ears wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

Since the rest of the components are among the best money can buy, and I do
feel a difference from the choice of cables, I use the ones I like. Of
course, things must be put into the right perspective. A set of 3000 USD
speaker cables would be a poor investment in a 1000 USD system.

In that case, you obviously can, and will, do whatever you want to make
you happy.

However, I have this nagging thought that by buying expensive speaker
cables (assuming you are not buying the Home Depot or Radio Shack
brands), you are endorsing the high-end cable industry, and I can't
think of a less worthy segment of audio to endorse.
All Ears

"chung" wrote in message
All Ears wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

Since the rest of the components are among the best money can buy, and I

do
feel a difference from the choice of cables, I use the ones I like. Of
course, things must be put into the right perspective. A set of 3000 USD
speaker cables would be a poor investment in a 1000 USD system.

In that case, you obviously can, and will, do whatever you want to make
you happy.

However, I have this nagging thought that by buying expensive speaker
cables (assuming you are not buying the Home Depot or Radio Shack
brands), you are endorsing the high-end cable industry, and I can't
think of a less worthy segment of audio to endorse.

I admit that I am not using cheap cables, on the other hand, I don't always
think that the most expencive are the best. I know that it is impossible to
prove the difference, and I could most likely not identify these cables in a
DBT. Does this make me a fool? Maybe, but then again, this is a hobby for
me, and I find great joy in combining equipment and listen to the result.
In a really good setup, it is often possible to take out one or two minor
components and replace with "default components" without any serious damage
to the end result.

I do not endorse any part of the industry, that do not, from my point of
view, deserve it.

KE

Nousaine

wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you have 'unlimited' resources it surely must have. I'm not ashamed of
spending $2000 to design and build the world's most accomplished subwoofer

Stewart Pinkerton

All Ears wrote:

If money is no object (and perhaps even if it is),
do it if that makes you happy.

Since the rest of the components are among the best money can buy, and I do
feel a difference from the choice of cables, I use the ones I like. Of
course, things must be put into the right perspective. A set of 3000 USD
speaker cables would be a poor investment in a 1000 USD system.

They're also a darned poor 'investment' in a $30,000 system........

Of course, if phat cables make you feel all warm and phuzzy, why not?

All Ears

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"All Ears" wrote:

Unless you have 'unlimited' resources it surely must have. I'm not

ashamed
of
spending $2000 to design and build the world's most accomplished

subwoofer

When a guy building some of the best speakers in the world suggests me to
use either brand A or brand B in cables, I think it would be silly at

least
not to try these?

So who does this?

If you want names and brands, I can mail these to you.

In order to build these speakers, his ears must be good and he must know
what he is doing. So if I find that he is right, I'll buy the cables.

If this is all true why doesn't his speaker come with the cables? Is he
purposley allowing some of his customers to have substandard sound with

his
speakers.

People are free to do what they like and want, however advise is free and
obtional.

Interestingly enough, different cables are recommended for SS and tubed
amplifiers.

What I find interesting here, is that a guy capable of designing fantastic
speakers, would recommend cables if there really is no difference. These
speakers has been refined and improved over many years, going systematically
through all components of the construction. I am sure that most people would
not be able to hear difference from the individual little improvements, but
when it all adds up, it does give a notisable difference.

KE

Why should you be ashamed in spending $2000 on building the world's most
accomplished subwoofer? If you can prove this in a DBT, I'll buy one from
you

KE

You can't "buy" one; you'll have to make it. Want a scheme get a back

issue of
the June '99 Sound & Vision. Want to know what "wires" are used? Ask me.

chung

All Ears wrote:

People are free to do what they like and want, however advise is free and
obtional.

Did the designer put his recommendation on cables in writing? Do you
also realize that there may be a conflict of interest if he recommends
Home Depot 12-gauge cables? You also should understand that a lot of
"audiophiles" will not respect him if he says that all cables of a
certain gauge are fine.

Maybe a reason he recommends a certain cable is to make sure that you
don't buy a cable with built-in tone controls? You should ask him
privately if Home Depot 12-gauge is good enough.

Interestingly enough, different cables are recommended for SS and tubed
amplifiers.

What I find interesting here, is that a guy capable of designing fantastic
speakers, would recommend cables if there really is no difference. These
speakers has been refined and improved over many years, going systematically
through all components of the construction. I am sure that most people would
not be able to hear difference from the individual little improvements, but
when it all adds up, it does give a notisable difference.

You should read John Dunlavy's comments on speaker cables. As you well
know, he designed some very highly respected speaker systems. Dick
Pierce is another professional who designs and develops speaker systems,
and you know his position on cables by now.

Richard D Pierce

In article 5Z90b.182884$YN5.134772@sccrnsc01,
All Ears wrote:
You should read John Dunlavy's comments on speaker cables. As you well
know, he designed some very highly respected speaker systems. Dick
Pierce is another professional who designs and develops speaker systems,
and you know his position on cables by now.

I have read a lot on this issue, and accepts the fact that in a DBT, nobody
can hear a difference.

It could have something to do with the fact that the brain has great
difficulty in remembering a sound image, and that it tends to fill out the
blanks or adapt the sound into something acceptable.

Come on, this same old lame, weak, stupid argument has been
raised time and time again, and it only gets lamer, weaker and
more stupid with each telling.

If you're asserting that the brain has great difficulty in
remembering a sound image, then, guess what, the brain is at
least equally hampered in remembering a sound image in eithe a
blind test or an informal test. One of the wntire points of a
time-proximate test methodlogy is that it REDUCES the necessaity
of the brain to remember fine acoustical details, which IS a
known problem.

And as to your hypothesis that the brain tends to fill out [sic]
the blanks or adapt the sound to something acceptable, it seems
that you are making a good case AGAINST "break-in" and any other
of a number of high-end claims.

You've just started your journey away from the Dark Side, my
son. :-)

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |

chung

All Ears wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
All Ears wrote:

People are free to do what they like and want, however advise is free

and
obtional.

Did the designer put his recommendation on cables in writing? Do you
also realize that there may be a conflict of interest if he recommends
Home Depot 12-gauge cables? You also should understand that a lot of
"audiophiles" will not respect him if he says that all cables of a
certain gauge are fine.

No the recommendation is verbal. I do however know that he would use dog
****, if it gave the desired result

But will he state that, or recommend that to you?

Maybe a reason he recommends a certain cable is to make sure that you
don't buy a cable with built-in tone controls? You should ask him
privately if Home Depot 12-gauge is good enough.

The answer would be: "If it works for you, it's fine with me"

OK, so he really has no strong opinion on which cable should be used.
Makes more sense.

You should read John Dunlavy's comments on speaker cables. As you well
know, he designed some very highly respected speaker systems. Dick
Pierce is another professional who designs and develops speaker systems,
and you know his position on cables by now.

I have read a lot on this issue, and accepts the fact that in a DBT, nobody
can hear a difference.

Why would you accept that without trying?

If you were willing to accept that, then why not accept that there
perhaps is no *audible* difference?

It could have something to do with the fact that the brain has great
difficulty in remembering a sound image, and that it tends to fill out the
blanks or adapt the sound into something acceptable.

Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that there is *no
audible difference*? Remember Occam's Razor?

Richard D Pierce

In article K%b0b.183243$Ho3.25518@sccrnsc03,
All Ears wrote:
"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message
[...]

Working hard on getting The Force with me....

Frankly speaking, it is just hard not to be allowed to trust the things I
experience.

Nobody is asking you to do otherwise, any more than you just
asked yourself to do. If the brain is, as you claim, imcapable
of remmebering a sound image, and is so capable of filling in
missing blanks and so adaptable, how can you trust it as a
constant?

When you design speakers, do you DBT every little modification
you do, or do you allow yourself to trust what you (think) you
hear? Maybe you design from measurements only?

When I design speakers, I do so, most of the time, at the behest
of a client who is paying me money to make a speaker that has
appropriate commercial viability. That means that the
performance has to be first well defined in that market
context. That will put constraints on a variety of system
performance parameters, and these constraints further lead to a
coherent system specification, which includes axial and power
response requirements. From that, we get fairly strict
requirements for enclosure size and type, driver requirements
and so on.

With all that in hand, detailed system design can commence and
proceed to a point where a final design is pretty well
proscribed.

How much listening have I done to this point? Well, none is
possible because the system doesn't even exist yet. Yet, I can
pretty well predict HOW it will sound or, more importantlu, will
the sound fit the clients requirements.

Generally, it's not necessary to build any more than one or two
versions of the prototype for listening purposes, because MOST
of the tweaking will have already been done in the design
process.

THIS is what separates the pros form the amateurs: most people
believe that speaker design is this long, almost endless
iterative process of build, tweak, rebuild, tweak again, build
yet again, tweak yet again, and so on. Well, it IS, if you have
neither the skill, experience, tools or facilities to avoid the
process. The vats majority of amateurs and not a small number of
commercial speaker companies DO NOT HAVE ANY of the required
skill, experience, tools or facilities for efficient,
comprehensive and accurate design.

When I started many years ago, I made a lot of mistakes. Guess
what, I don't make thos emistakes anymore. But if you have some
rank amateur who has NO test facilities to verify the changes he
makes are what he THINKS they a the guy ius going to end up
wandering around blind. His ears ARE NOT GOING TO HELP. You just
now admitted, for all to see (including you, I hope), that the
brain is too willing to fill in gaps, too adaptable, and too
poor at remembering detailed sound images. In that sense you are
absolutely right. So how can one be trustful of something YOU
have declared so unreliable?

Let's kook at an example. A person who has NO measurement or
design facility may tweak, by ear, the low frequency tuning of a
system until it sounds like what he wants. How does this person
know that, in the process, he has not seriously compromised the
excursion-limited power handling of the system, or its
distortion?

Another example: since multi-way speakers are not minimum-phase
systems (and understand that "minimum phase" is a very precisely
defined term that is nonetheless POORLY understood in the audio
community), one can not take the response as shown by your
typical "real-time analyzer" or even the aural impression by ear
and use it to tweak driver equalization, simply because the
frequency response and phase response of non-minimum-phase
systems are NOT uniquely linked.

How many people in the high-end business, in YOUR store, know
what "minimum phase" means? I'll bet dollars to donuts the
answer is a very small number, yet it is a crucial concept in
loudspeaker design.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |

ludovic mirabel

"All Ears" wrote in message ...
"chung" wrote in message
All Ears wrote:

People are free to do what they like and want, however advise is free

and
obtional.

Did the designer put his recommendation on cables in writing? Do you
also realize that there may be a conflict of interest if he recommends
Home Depot 12-gauge cables? You also should understand that a lot of
"audiophiles" will not respect him if he says that all cables of a
certain gauge are fine.

No the recommendation is verbal. I do however know that he would use dog
****, if it gave the desired result

But will he state that, or recommend that to you?

Oh yes, he did already, although no actual recommendation is given

[...]

That is what I hear, over and over again....

It could have something to do with the fact that the brain has great
difficulty in remembering a sound image, and that it tends to fill out

the
blanks or adapt the sound into something acceptable.

Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that there is *no
audible difference*? Remember Occam's Razor?

Maybe.....

I'm glad to see that someone doesn't let himself be intimidated by
people who believe that heaping up adjectives like "lame, weak,
stupid" will cow a heretic into confessing his sins prior to auto-da-
fe.
The same people, or their kin, will deny, against common sense and
all evidence, that "proximate'(or whatever obfuscating substitute for
one-after-another sequence they choose) listening to A , then to B and
then comparing X with A and B is not a problem for many. No training
needed or is it? And how much of it? And who decides when enough is
enough?
On the other hand when someone like myself says that SIMULTANEOUS
comparison by the left-right method with random changes suits HIM
better he is told that his method is "fatally flawed" or something to
that effect. Says who?
Well- they do. And who are they? Those who say so of course.
Ludovic Mirabel

Arny Krueger

"All Ears" wrote in message

Frankly speaking, it is just hard not to be allowed to trust the
things I experience.

The first thing that one needs to do is to understand that there are big
differences and little differences. Quantification is often the place were
many people let their ears lead them astray. Just because you can hear
differences between just about any loudspeakers doesn't mean that you can
hear differences between just about any cables or power amplifiers.

When you design speakers, do you DBT every
little modification you do, or do you allow yourself to trust what
you (think) you hear?

Loudspeaker design involves relatively large differences.

Maybe you design from measurements only?

Power amplifier design usually involves relatively small differences.

Leonard

Ref: Blindtest issues...
For what its worth...

Use about any criteria you desire regarding cables,
amps, etc...also, if you feel better about it, put
a sign on each component with its name in blazing
qualities. It possibly will make you feel better
about the system and strangely, the whole thing
might well sound better. That is part of this whole
experience regarding audio...if your prejudices
are deep set from within..then give in to them
and enjoy the music. Be happy with the most
expensive equipment you can afford, it might well
be pretty good..mentally, you might come to
accept that fact..music will flourish, bloom
and all will be right with the Universe!!

All this "shadow-boxing" regarding "all is the
same" is interesting in this strange dimension
that surrounds Audio. Go with you own prejudices
and be happy. Very important to your Audio
happiness!

Leonard...

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:11:48 +0000, Thomas A wrote:

Is there any published DBT of amps, CD players or cables where the
number of trials are greater than 500?

If there difference is miniscule there is likely that many "guesses"
are wrong and would require many trials to reveal any subtle
difference?

Thomas

Arny Krueger

"ludovic mirabel" wrote in message

I'm glad to see that someone doesn't let himself be intimidated by
people who believe that heaping up adjectives like "lame, weak,
stupid" will cow a heretic into confessing his sins prior to auto-da-
fe.

I did a search on the word "stupid" in the RAO archives and found that
since the beginning of the year, the leading user of this word is one
Ludivoc Mirabel.

The same people, or their kin, will deny, against common sense and
all evidence, that "proximate' (or whatever obfuscating substitute for
one-after-another sequence they choose) listening to A , then to B and
then comparing X with A and B is not a problem for many.

Here we see an absolutely unbelievable claim - that "proximate" listening is
not the same as "one-after-another" listening.

No training needed or is it?

Listening is at its core a form of physical and mental endeavor, like sports
or many professions. Training helps people do better at sports and
professions and this is generally thought to be a good thing. yet here we
see a tacit claim that somehow training is a bad thing.

And how much of it? And who decides when enough is enough?

Who decides when a person has enough training - usually its the person
themselves, right?

On the other hand when someone like myself says that SIMULTANEOUS
comparison by the left-right method with random changes suits HIM
better he is told that his method is "fatally flawed" or something to
that effect. Says who?

Just about anybody who has tried it. The problem with simultaneous listening
is the poor signal-to-noise ratio. Presuming that the levels are matched,
the highest possible SNR for simultaneous listening is 6 dB, and usually
the SNR associated with simultaneous listening is zero (0.0) dB.

Well- they do. And who are they?

People who tried it and found that the 40-100 dB SNR of proximate listening
leads to more sensitive results than the 0-6 dB SNR of simultaneous
listening.

Those who say so of course.

We observe that our leading promoter of simultaneous listening argues
frequently against blind listening. One unarguable benefit of blind
listening is that positive results can't be falsified. Somehow it all fits,
no?

All Ears

All Ears wrote:
"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message
How much listening have I done to this point? Well, none is
possible because the system doesn't even exist yet. Yet, I can
pretty well predict HOW it will sound or, more importantlu, will
the sound fit the clients requirements.

Guess this is what they call experience, you know how it will sound

because
you did similar designs in the past.

Actually, no, many of the designs are NOT "similar," though they
ALL behave according to the same basic physical rules. Have yet
to see even the hint of an exception, event in new and wonderful
systems that claim to be operating on "entirely new principals."

Generally, it's not necessary to build any more than one or two
versions of the prototype for listening purposes, because MOST
of the tweaking will have already been done in the design
process.

So the prototypes are mainly to satisfy the client?

No, the prototypes are REQUIRED by the client.

Or will you establish a
DBT to determine the differences between the prototypes?

The differences between the two are differences requested by the
client. It is most often the case that they will hand me a set
of requirements, I will design and build to that set of
requirements, hit the target pretty dead on, and then the
client, on listening to the prortypes, discovers that they did
not understand their requirements very well. So in some
respects, tweaking the prototypes is really the clients tweaking
their own expectations.

But you fail to understand where a double blind test is
required. It is for the purpose of establishing whether a
difference can be heard where the differences can be approaching
the threshold capability of the listener.

In that light, I would and have recommended that the CLIENT
engage in a blind listening test where the client has requested
a change that I feel is unwarranted. A classic example: in
designing a network for a speaker that had to meet a specific
cost target, the client insisted, against my recommendations,
that the complex conjugate inpedance comensator on the woofer
use a very expensive film capacitor, where I had specifically
designed in an NP electrolytic. The point where the capacitor is
actually active is well outside of the passband of the woofer,
the entire conjugate itself is effectively bypassed by a large
film capacitor that is the shunt element in the network itself.
and is further isolated by a fairly large value resistor, and
that whole circuit is, itself, a shunt leg across the driver.

Using an NP electrolytic instead of the film cap saved enough
money to be spent on stuff that was REALLY important, yet the
client insisted the speaker would sound dreadful without it. The
client agreed to take one prortype with two networks, both in a
box he couldn't see in, and listen to the two by whatever means
he chose, save that he wasn't allowed to peak in the box. He and
12 other listeners listening over a period of a month were
utterly unable to pick which was which.

The blind test proved the assertion, which was supported by
solid engineering data, that the cap in that position of the
circuit had no audible effect (though there was a measurable
difference). It further wasted a month of the clients valuable
marketing time.

[...]

Getting carried away?......

No, but you seem to be avoiding the implication of your original
statement.

I really don't see that, I never claimed that ears can replace math or
measurements in engineering, which of course is a natural starting point. I
said that there are well know limitations in what to expect from listening.
This is why I prefer to make judgements of equipment over a longer period of
time. A system that initially sounds fantastic, may reveal flaws by extended
listening.

Let's kook at an example. A person who has NO measurement or
design facility may tweak, by ear, the low frequency tuning of a
system until it sounds like what he wants. How does this person
know that, in the process, he has not seriously compromised the
excursion-limited power handling of the system, or its
distortion?

He can surely not...

Fine, then you can see, with this one example, precisely how
untrustworthy the method you implicitly advocate is.

I think you are putting the words into my mouth, which method am I supposed
to advocate??

Another example: since multi-way speakers are not minimum-phase
systems (and understand that "minimum phase" is a very precisely
defined term that is nonetheless POORLY understood in the audio
community), one can not take the response as shown by your
typical "real-time analyzer" or even the aural impression by ear
and use it to tweak driver equalization, simply because the
frequency response and phase response of non-minimum-phase
systems are NOT uniquely linked.

I would assume that you are talking about phase coherent designs,
which I do know a little about. Dynamic linearity is also quite
important to get a good result.

Well you fell into the trap, as almost every person in the
high-end indistry does, because they hear "phase" and then
immediately conjure up advertising slogans and a pile of utter
hooey written by high-end magazine wonks who haven't the
faintest clue about what they are talking about.

Okay the term "Phase coherence" may be worn out or ill defined.

The term "minimum-phase" has a very precise, well understood
meaning, it seems, everywhere but in high-end audio. A "minimum-
phase" system is ANY system whose amplitude response and phase
response are unique transforms of one another. It DOES NOT mean
"phase coherent,: because "phase coherent" is a vague,
ill-defined term that is more advertising hooey than anything
else.

A 'minimum-phase' system is onewhere if you take the frequency
response of the system and mathematically calculate the phase
response from that (which you can do via a mathematical
operation called the 'Hilbert transform'), and compare it to the
actual MEASURED phase of the system, they will be the same.

If the two are NOT the same, then the system is non-minimum-
phase and the difference between the two is called,, cleverly
enough, the system's 'excess phase.'

Now, are 'minimum phase systems' inherently better? Well,
'minimum phase' is NOT a measure of 'quality' in the sense that
you might want to know at all. For instance, every listener has
a component in their system which is a non-minimum-phase
component that they can never avoid. The non-minimum-phase
behavior of this component is very large and quite variable. Are
all high-end systems (indeed ALL audio systems) inherently bad
because of it? Well, with such a scary term like 'non-minimum-
phase, you'dthink so, right?

Wrong, because the component I'm talking about is simply the air
between you and the speakers. It's a simple perfectly linear
delay, and simple linear delays have non-minimum phase behavior.
How? Well, if your were to measure the response of this delay,
it would have a flat frequency response. The phase response
derived via the Hilbert transform is a flat phase response. But
the MEASURED phase response is decidely not flat. The reason is
because of the delay. Yet no one is going to argue that the
non-minimum-phase result of listening to the acoustical delay
between the speakers and your ears is a bad thing. (the delay,
by the way, has a linear phase response)

But the point of all this is that non-minimum phase systems,
which ALL speakers with crossovers are, do not necesarily behave
in a manner that is intuitive. You might see a dip in the
response and be inclined to diddle with the crossover to
equalize the dip out, only to find that the dip is STILL there
despite the clear change in equalization. Rverberent rooms
behave the same way, having non-minimum-phase response. You see
a big peak in the amplitude response due to some big
resonance, your minimum-phase brain and your minimum-phase
equalizer want to fill in that hole, and you push a knob down,
only to find that the peak is STILL there, the excessive
reveration that causes the peak is STILL there, and now the
whole system sounds WORSE because not only have you NOT
corrected the non-minimum-phase problem with a minimum phase
solution, you've also screwed up the direct-arrival frequency
response a bunch.

Oh, did you know that each band of a graphic equalizer has nice
minimum phase response? That makes them better, right?

Setting up another trap, are we Let's just go outside and listen to one
way speakers. I think you gave the answer yourself, above.

How many people in the high-end business, in YOUR store, know
what "minimum phase" means? I'll bet dollars to donuts the
answer is a very small number, yet it is a crucial concept in
loudspeaker design.

I don't really have a store, but a listening room where interested people
can book an appointment.

Whatever, if you told one of your visitors to define "minimum
phase," what do you suppose they might say?

I could easily prove that most visitors are ignorant fools, but I choose not
to do this. I'd rather help them in finding a system that matches their
needs.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |

All Ears

Unless you have 'unlimited' resources it surely must have. I'm not

ashamed
of
spending $2000 to design and build the world's most accomplished

subwoofer

When a guy building some of the best speakers in the world suggests me

use either brand A or brand B in cables, I think it would be silly at

least
not to try these?

So who does this?

If you want names and brands, I can mail these to you.

I'm interested.

Okay, I'll mail you some info.

In order to build these speakers, his ears must be good and he must

know
what he is doing. So if I find that he is right, I'll buy the cables.

If this is all true why doesn't his speaker come with the cables? Is he
purposley allowing some of his customers to have substandard sound with

his
speakers.

People are free to do what they like and want, however advise is free and
obtional.

But he's purposely limiting the sound of his speakers when they're sold,
knowing that they'd sound better with better wire and NOT supplying that

wire
with the product?

No actually not, because the recommendation of wires are different with the
various system configurations.

Interestingly enough, different cables are recommended for SS and tubed
amplifiers.

What I find interesting here, is that a guy capable of designing

fantastic
speakers, would recommend cables if there really is no difference.

What I find surprising is that such a person wouldn't deliver his speakers

with
the best-sounding wire as a package.

As answer above..

These
speakers has been refined and improved over many years, going

systematically
through all components of the construction. I am sure that most people

would
not be able to hear difference from the individual little improvements,

but
when it all adds up, it does give a notisable difference.

KE

Ah the series, cumulative tweak argument. I put that to the test in "To

Tweak
or Not." No cigar.

Why should you be ashamed in spending $2000 on building the world's

most
accomplished subwoofer? If you can prove this in a DBT, I'll buy one

from
you

KE

You can't "buy" one; you'll have to make it. Want a scheme get a back

issue of
the June '99 Sound & Vision. Want to know what "wires" are used? Ask

me.

And?

Okay, okay, tell me then..........

KE

Bob Marcus

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message news:5Ks0b.201187$YN5.140840@sccrnsc01...
"ludovic mirabel" wrote in message

On the other hand when someone like myself says that SIMULTANEOUS
comparison by the left-right method with random changes suits HIM
better he is told that his method is "fatally flawed" or something to
that effect. Says who?

Just about anybody who has tried it. The problem with simultaneous listening
is the poor signal-to-noise ratio. Presuming that the levels are matched,
the highest possible SNR for simultaneous listening is 6 dB, and usually
the SNR associated with simultaneous listening is zero (0.0) dB.

Besides, Mr. Mirabel's comparisons were done only single-blind and
were not level-matched. The lack of level-matching makes the whole
thing a joke, really. Even a slight mismatch will result in an easily
perceivable image shift, a perception that, while real, is completely
meaningless if you ultimately intend to use the same cable in both
channels.

Well- they do. And who are they?

People who tried it and found that the 40-100 dB SNR of proximate listening
leads to more sensitive results than the 0-6 dB SNR of simultaneous
listening.

Those who say so of course.

We observe that our leading promoter of simultaneous listening argues
frequently against blind listening. One unarguable benefit of blind
listening is that positive results can't be falsified. Somehow it all fits,
no?

Well, even I'll defend Mirabel here. He hasn't argued against blind
testing (though he hasn't conceded its absolute necessity for
difference tests, either). What he's argued against is proximate
comparisons. He says he gets confused, and then he can't tell things
apart. (He's not confused, of course. He just refuses to believe what
his ears are telling him!)

bob

S888Wheel

Tom said

So he designs speakers with the knowledge that the speakers won't be optimal
with the wire in the speaker and that there is no way of knowing in advance
how
the speaker will sound in any given system?

Every speaker manufacturer does this. Duh. Or should they include a
complimentary ideal room with their speakers?

All Ears

snip

So who does this?

If you want names and brands, I can mail these to you.

I'm interested.

Okay, I'll mail you some info.

Thanks in advance.

Info was mailed to you yesterday.

[...]

the speaker will sound in any given system? And that different wires will
improve things on-site?

If this is true, because he can't test all amplifiers, components and

wires
ever used, he has no prior knowledge of how his speakers will sound in any
given system other than the one used in design.

Is wires or amps made a big difference with any given speaker HOW can any
speaker designer make and sell any speaker in good conscience unless he

has a
complete system specification in advance? And if the system contains any

device
of the thousands available that were not part of the original

design/validation
process who's to say that it would be acceptable in any given system

Surely not
the maker or the point-of-sale representative.

There are actually two versions of this speakers, one optimized for SS the
other for tubes. A few SS designs are however recommended to be used with
the "tube harness"

So this is one step further than I have seen anybody else go.

These are not over-the-counter type mass produced speakers. Anybody
investing in this kind of equipment, should do some home work before the
actual purchase. Since these speakers are rather revealing, connecting them
to the "wrong" equipment, can be a rather unpleasent experience.

Interestingly enough, different cables are recommended for SS and

tubed
amplifiers.

What I find interesting here, is that a guy capable of designing

fantastic
speakers, would recommend cables if there really is no difference.

So how can he allow ANY cable that he has not personally validated be used

with
his speakers? Shouldn't he refuse to sell product to someone who has not
certified his cable kit?

I don't think so, some may prefer a zip cord.
It is not unusual for his customers to call and ask for advice, if the
desired result cannot be obtained. It is usually possible for him to pin
point the possible problems, which could be cables in some situations.

What I find surprising is that such a person wouldn't deliver his

speakers
with
the best-sounding wire as a package.

As answer above..

No satisfactory answer there. IF these speaker require a given set(s) of

cables
to perform optimally than why aren't they supplied with the speaker?

I see your point, but what about amplifier, CD player, etc., etc. It will be
a pretty big bulk package if taken to the full extend.

[...]

The Equalizer amp lead is a 36-foot rca cable that came in the box with an
inexpensive subwoofer product. The power amp lead is a 'junk box' rca

rescued
from my parts box. The 'internal' wiring of the 8 drivers was

accomplished
with 16 gauge zip cord sold as car speaker wire as was the amplifier
connection.

Does this work? Well find a subwoofer that will deliver 120 dB+ from 12 to

62
Hz at 2-meters in a real room. There are zero commercial products that

will do
this.

And it's not just raw acoustical power. The system is perfectly integrated

with
the 7 channel surround system and provides better-then-high end full

bandwidth
sound quality.

I have seen pictures of your design, looks pretty impressive. Already
considering to build one

KE

Thomas A

"All Ears" wrote in message ...
Snip
Why should you be ashamed in spending $2000 on building the world's

most
accomplished subwoofer? If you can prove this in a DBT, I'll buy one

from
you

KE

You can't "buy" one; you'll have to make it. Want a scheme get a back

issue of
the June '99 Sound & Vision. Want to know what "wires" are used? Ask

me.

And?

Okay let me guess, 10 gauge wire?

I admit cheating, saw a little info about your sub, looks like it will move
some air! Although I would hate my baby boy to get stuck down there....not
sure the woofers could handle this...

KE

I'll just add that the cables recommended (by the contructor at Ino
Audio) to the most competent commercial speaker system I know of is
cheap EKK 2.5mm2 cable. And this system can play high SPL with very
low distortion.

http://www.studioblue.se/images/monitorsystem.jpg

Thomas

Thomas A

(Nousaine) wrote in message .net...
"All Ears"
wrote:

.....snips....

[...]

Tom, Ino Audio produce subwoofer systems that produce extremely high
SPL at low frequencies. The Ino Audio Profundus Z-4 vented system can
pump 80 liters of air peak to peak at 20 Hz.

Thomas

And it's not just raw acoustical power. The system is perfectly integrated with
the 7 channel surround system and provides better-then-high end full bandwidth
sound quality.

Nousaine

(Nousaine) wrote in message
(Thomas A) wrote:

Tom, Ino Audio produce subwoofer systems that produce extremely high
SPL at low frequencies. The Ino Audio Profundus Z-4 vented system can
pump 80 liters of air peak to peak at 20 Hz.

Can you give me a reference? Displacement is the key element.

There is no reference on the web, other than the explanation of the
system given by Ingvar Öhman, the contructor of the speakers. I think
you've seen the thread befo

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...a94e5p01ahs%40

enews1.newsguy.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dino%2Baudio%2Bgroup:rec.audio
..high-end%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Drec.audio.high-end%26se
lm%3Da94e5p01ahs%2540enews1.
newsguy.com%26rnum%3D2

Thoma

Oh yeah I'd forgotten that. It seems that this system is just a fig-newton of
someone's imagination

80 liters is the equivalent of 14 small block Chevy V8s. My current system uses
8 23.5-mm Xmax 15-inch woofers and it's maximum displacement is about 34 liters.

Thomas A

(Thomas A) wrote:

Tom, Ino Audio produce subwoofer systems that produce extremely high
SPL at low frequencies. The Ino Audio Profundus Z-4 vented system can
pump 80 liters of air peak to peak at 20 Hz.

Can you give me a reference? Displacement is the key element.

There is no reference on the web, other than the explanation of the
system given by Ingvar Ã?hman, the contructor of the speakers. I think
you've seen the thread befo

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...a94e5p01ahs%40

enews1.newsguy.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dino%2Baudio%2Bgroup:rec.audio
.high-end%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Drec.audio.high-end%26se
lm%3Da94e5p01ahs%2540enews1.
newsguy.com%26rnum%3D2

Thoma

Oh yeah I'd forgotten that. It seems that this system is just a fig-newton of
someone's imagination

I'm not sure what you mean fig-newton , but I guess that it's hard
to believe the numbers given (which have been measured in the studio).
If you at anytime travel to Sweden, it might be possible for you to
both hear and measure the system, located in Stockholm. But you would
need to contact Ino and/or Studio Blue for a demonstration.

80 liters is the equivalent of 14 small block Chevy V8s. My current system uses
8 23.5-mm Xmax 15-inch woofers and it's maximum displacement is about 34 liters.

Ino also sell systems called Profundus Infra-10 which are 10 x 15 inch
woofers in closed box configuration.