dale

Default gold archive grade dvd

MAM-A Inc. Announces the release of their newest product,

Gold Archive Grade DVD-R

In order to meet consumer demands for large capacity, long life data
storage, MAM-A Inc. has developed an Gold Archive Grade recordable DVD
media. The media is capable of storing any type of data or video
content and is available in "-R" and "+R" formats for 4.7 GB of total
storage space. Either of these formats can be recorded in DVD+/-RW
drives for playback on any DVD player.

The product uses 24 karat gold as the reflective layer, offering
maximum resistance to breakdown -- one of the major causes of disc
failure. The MAM Gold Archive Grade DVD is offered as the long awaited
companion to the MAM Archive Grade Gold CD-R which has earned a
reputation for the best longevity of any storage media.

http://mitsuicdr.com/about/press_rel...005-12-05.html

James Perrett

On 25 May 2005 13:52:55 -0700, dale wrote:

MAM-A Inc. Announces the release of their newest product,

Gold Archive Grade DVD-R

In order to meet consumer demands for large capacity, long life data
storage, MAM-A Inc. has developed an Gold Archive Grade recordable DVD
media. The media is capable of storing any type of data or video
content and is available in "-R" and "+R" formats for 4.7 GB of total
storage space. Either of these formats can be recorded in DVD+/-RW
drives for playback on any DVD player.

The product uses 24 karat gold as the reflective layer, offering
maximum resistance to breakdown -- one of the major causes of disc
failure. The MAM Gold Archive Grade DVD is offered as the long awaited
companion to the MAM Archive Grade Gold CD-R which has earned a
reputation for the best longevity of any storage media.

http://mitsuicdr.com/about/press_rel...005-12-05.html

Are the error rates on these higher than standard DVD's? The error rates
on current Mitsui (MAM-E) CD's in Europe are something like 50 times
higher than the older Mitsui discs I have which were made in Japan.

James.

"James Perrett" wrote:
The error rates
on current Mitsui (MAM-E) CD's in Europe are something like 50 times
higher than the older Mitsui discs I have which were made in Japan.

Kodak once sold their own awful "gold is forever" disks. Thankfully gone
now.

MAM's claims are equally weird and unsupported. The error rates you quote
tell the real story.

Too bad Tayio Yuden doesn't make DVDs (or do they?).
dale

achivial grade means that they have a longer shelf life after data is
committed to disc.
closer tolerances in maufacture and types of dye and reflective surface
used are more costly.
archivist prefferred the kodiak, sadly they quit making them.

Travis Garrison

Taiyo Yuden does make DVDs. Check out www.rima.com.

Travis Garrison

"dale" wrote:

achivial grade means that they have a longer shelf life after data is
committed to disc.
closer tolerances in maufacture and types of dye and reflective surface
used are more costly.
archivist prefferred the kodiak, sadly they quit making them.

They made disks only for a few years, so how much was the "longer shelf
life"? It was commonplace unsupported marketing hype.

The fragility of their sticky-coated metal tops was a hazard. It nearly
liquified in humid weather. After losing a few, I threw out dozens of
unused disks. Good riddance.

dale

The fragility of their sticky-coated metal tops was a hazard.

what was the "sticky-coated metal tops", never saw one

I was reffering to the gold cd-r, preffered by achivist (for digital
medium)
for doing long term back-up/storage
more stable than hard drives, and any other cd-r on market.

dale

James Perrett

On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:24:51 -0400, wrote:

Too bad Tayio Yuden doesn't make DVDs (or do they?).

They do - and the ones that I've used seem good.

Cheers.

James.

James Perrett

On 30 May 2005 06:39:53 -0700, dale wrote:

The fragility of their sticky-coated metal tops was a hazard.

what was the "sticky-coated metal tops", never saw one

I was reffering to the gold cd-r, preffered by achivist (for digital
medium)
for doing long term back-up/storage
more stable than hard drives, and any other cd-r on market.

dale

Kodak used the Mitsui dye which would appear to have a longer readable
life than the Taiyo Yuden dye. When Kodak stopped making discs they
suggested that their customers use Mitsui discs.

I have a few Kodak discs but it is quite a while since I've tried reading
them.

Cheers.

James.

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:45:07 GMT, "uber_lame"
wrote:

I've often felt the Mitsui dye sounded warmer and more punchy...

Now, if we could find a way to add surface noise and a bit of
rumble......:-)