Handywired

Default Thoughts on DVD-R for ProTools session backup?

I recently bought ProTools LE and am running it on a G4. SO far so good,
mostly. I bought this setup is to add more tracks and editing capabilites to
my otherwise analog commercial project studio.

One major impediment to getting lower-budget clients to "let" me open the
Pandora's box of editing their stuff (so that I can get "new" billable time
from my new rig), is that I can't store everyone's stuff indefinatly for them,
so clients would have to buy their own FireWire drive for me to copy it to. On
some larger projects I'm sure that will happen, but I need a viable backup
alternative; something removable, cheap, and large capacity. So... why not
DVD-R? The things hold over 4 Gigs, and I can get an external DVD-R/RW drive
for about $200. I know this won't crank data to PT fast enough to work as an
actual working source for session data, but then, it doesn't NEED to; it'd just
be to store sessions on. Stuff would be transferred back to my main hard
drives(s) for actual mixes, etc.

Anyone see any reason not to do this? I realize 4 gigs wouldn't hold entire
multitrack projects, bt it WOULD hold a song or three. I could charge $10/pop
for 'em and pay off the burner fairly quickly (always looking to make digital
stuff pay it's way before it's obsolete, eh), and people could have backup
copies of their PT sessions for $30 or so...

-jeff
Marc Wielage

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:13:24 -0700, Handywired wrote:

I could charge $10/pop
for 'em and pay off the burner fairly quickly (always looking to make digital
stuff pay it's way before it's obsolete, eh), and people could have backup
copies of their PT sessions for $30 or so...

That'll work in the short-turn, but what if you do a bunch of songs? 10 DVD
blanks will be a charge of $100, and you can buy an 80-gig Firewire drive
(actually, more like 120-gigs) for that.

Also, know up front that burning 4 gigs of data to DVD-R is very slow,
especially compared to just dumping it on a spare hard drive.

--MFW

EricK

Handywired wrote:
snip
So... why not
DVD-R? The things hold over 4 Gigs, and I can get an external DVD-R/RW drive
for about $200. I know this won't crank data to PT fast enough to work as an
actual working source for session data, but then, it doesn't NEED to; it'd just
be to store sessions on. Stuff would be transferred back to my main hard
drives(s) for actual mixes, etc.

Backup to DVD-R is pretty common. I can take a while though. Be sure to
get at least a 4x drive. If the 8x's are available and reasonable, get
one of those.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Ken / Eleven Shadows

I backup regularly to an external firewire HD (daily backups), but
also save/archive on DVD-R. Both are great for their own purposes.

Ken/Eleven Shadows
http://www.blueberrybuddha.com
Apogee AD-16 for auction on EBay:

Handywired

I backup regularly to an external firewire HD (daily backups), but
also save/archive on DVD-R. Both are great for their own purposes.

Thanks, Ken! That's what I was hoping to hear. That is my plan, essentially,
also: a backup hard drive for "internal" backup and DVD-R backup for (cheap)
clients and archival purposes.

-jeff
Handywired

I backup regularly to an external firewire HD (daily backups), but
also save/archive on DVD-R. Both are great for their own purposes.

Thanks, Ken! That's what I was hoping to hear. That is my plan, essentially,
also: a backup hard drive for "internal" backup and DVD-R backup for (cheap)
clients and archival purposes.

-jeff

Recommendations for Backup Software for LP/CD Database Bruce J. Richman Audio Opinions 23 April 30th 04 09:02 PM
Battery backup for Sony clock radio glad heart General 3 April 12th 04 04:48 AM
XP Backup Phil Audio Opinions 10 October 21st 03 10:16 AM
OT : XP Backup Lionel Audio Opinions 2 October 5th 03 09:59 PM
location recording backup system hollywood_steve Pro Audio 10 August 23rd 03 11:44 PM