peter

Default where to find cheap 6-RCA stereo inputs mixer?

I'm looking for a no-frills stereo mixer as a front end to my PC speakers because I also
have VCR, DVD player, ... nearby that I want to hear. These are mostly for testing DVDs
and tapes I make, so sound quality is not critical.

I need a mixer with 6 RCA stereo line level inputs. I don't need equalizers, pan, monitor,
balanced input, mic input, etc. In short, a cheap mixer with many inputs and one volume
control per input (if there are balance control and mute switches, that's even better).

Who makes mixers like this or where can I find them? Most audio mixers I found by
searching online are professional mixers.

CJT

peter wrote:

I'm looking for a no-frills stereo mixer as a front end to my PC speakers because I also
have VCR, DVD player, ... nearby that I want to hear. These are mostly for testing DVDs
and tapes I make, so sound quality is not critical.

I need a mixer with 6 RCA stereo line level inputs. I don't need equalizers, pan, monitor,
balanced input, mic input, etc. In short, a cheap mixer with many inputs and one volume
control per input (if there are balance control and mute switches, that's even better).

Who makes mixers like this or where can I find them? Most audio mixers I found by
searching online are professional mixers.

I think Behringer makes some cheap mixers that might be adequate.

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the
"SWEN" worm, I have concluded we must conceal our

Charlie

Todd H.

"peter" writes:

I'm looking for a no-frills stereo mixer as a front end to my PC
speakers because I also have VCR, DVD player, ... nearby that I want
to hear. These are mostly for testing DVDs and tapes I make, so
sound quality is not critical.

I need a mixer with 6 RCA stereo line level inputs. I don't need
equalizers, pan, monitor, balanced input, mic input, etc. In short,
a cheap mixer with many inputs and one volume control per input (if
there are balance control and mute switches, that's even better).

Who makes mixers like this or where can I find them? Most audio
mixers I found by searching online are professional mixers.

Finding something with that many RCA inputs will be a challenge.

If what you really need is switching and not the ability to mix
multiple sources playing at the same time, you'd be better off
purchasing a cheapie consumer stereo receiver and just uses it's
preamp output. It'll have the RCA inputs you need, and switching
capability...but no mixing.

If you really need mixing and want no frills, no eq, then you're
shopping for a "line mixer." Yes, it's pro audio gear in marketing,
but that doesn't mean it's pricey. Behringer makes a 1U unit, but
you'll need to buy RCA to 1/4" adapters for all your cables. $5 each,
Radio Shack part number 274-320 or equivalent. 2 for each piece of
audio gear.

Behringer $100 1U line mixer, 16input, 8 stereo channels:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/106341

Rolls makes on as well that's about $200:
http://www.rolls.com/data/rm203xdat.pdf
http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLRM203

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Engineer

"CJT" wrote in message

(snip)

After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the
"SWEN" worm, I have concluded we must conceal our
e-mail address. Our true address is the mirror image
of what you see before the "@" symbol. It's a shame
such steps are necessary.

Charlie

Good idea! It was like a train wreck for me! Had to change my email
address and mailer software. Lost my address book in the process, too
(finger trouble), but also ugraded to Win XP from Win 98. Also added
MailWasher, see http://www.mailwasher.net

My ID is supposed to be hidden now (I'll check this posting and delect it if
I find it!)

You can also play the "human-only" read game to give your address out for
replies, i.e. write it as
'yourname"at"provider"dot"com' - easily reformatted but not yet harvestable
by robot n.g. crawlers, but I suppose it could still be found by human
low-life as can yours.

Cheers,

Roger

--
Roger Jones, P.Eng.
Thornhill, Ontario

"Friends don't let friends vote Liberal"

Michael Black

(Todd H.) wrote in message ...
"peter" writes:

[...]

Of course, once you go that route, you don't need amplified speakers,
because the receiver can supply more than enough output (and depending
on the amplifiers in the speakers, might be a better amplifier). And
unless those speakers are really good, one might as well go to good
speakers of some type that don't have a built in amplifier.

I have a pair of Minimus-7 speakers as my "computer speakers". Both
bought at garage sales (though some years apart), they likely are
better than many "computer speakers". Of course, they needed an
amplifier. I was using a Delco digitally tuned car radio as the
amplifier; the cassette deck was missing and I used that input
for the signal from the computer. But then I bought, for seven dollars,
a nice Sony mini-stereo with separate components at a garage sale.
The tuner was horrible, and the tape deck was beyond repair, so I
just junked them. But the amplifier component has plenty of inputs,
a graphic equalizer of sorts, and is nice and compact. I use
that with the Minimus speakers.

I paid about $30 for the two speakers and the amplifier. While I
realize it's not top of the line, it's got to be better than most
of the low end "computer speakers", and I have the option of switching
to bigger speakers if I want to.

Michael