Default problem with installing a deck in my 2003 cavilar

so i got this 2003 cavilar with an am/fm radio...no cd....no cassette.

i wanna put an after market cd player in it. But the guy at the most
reputable install shop says the stock am/fm radio is part of the car
computer/ecu/brains and it wont work without it. He said that i
need a module to replace it, and that costs 400 bucks canadien (250
american) . Other option is to reroute my stock am/fm radio to the
trunk, but he says thatll cost me the same as the module.

Anyone know if this is true? And if it is true... is his price on the
module correct? Can i get one cheaper off of the internet somewhere?

anyone got any websites for me ???

i dont wanna spend that much cash for an install. Id be paying around
500 bucks canadien (325 american) for a basic cd install.

Any suggestions???

thanks
adam

Skrabble

how does a cavilar compare to Chevy's Cavalier?

--
- -
skrabble

wrote in message

[...]

Daniel Snooks

so i got this 2003 cavilar with an am/fm radio...no cd....no cassette.

i wanna put an after market cd player in it. But the guy at the most
reputable install shop says the stock am/fm radio is part of the car
computer/ecu/brains and it wont work without it. He said that i
need a module to replace it, and that costs 400 bucks canadien (250
american) . Other option is to reroute my stock am/fm radio to the
trunk, but he says thatll cost me the same as the module.

Anyone know if this is true? And if it is true... is his price on the
module correct? Can i get one cheaper off of the internet somewhere?

I bought my '03 Cavy in Feb. and what he said is sort of true, but not
really.

1) The car will work without the stock radio installed. You will lose the
dummy bell (door chime if you leave lights on and such). I was told that the
airbags would also be affected but not in the way that username is
suggesting. What they said to me was, after the airbags have deployed, you
won't be able to reset them. This did not concern me much

2) If you want to maintain the stock radio you can buy a relocation kit that
mounts it in the trunk. HOWEVER the kit only costs CAN$70. The guy is
hammered to rip people off for $400 on a reroute kit. Should be less then
$300 installed. Back in Feb, when I first looked into it, the kit was $120.
What shop was this?

3) Are you planning on doing the install yourself? If so, the biggest
problem you will have is getting the front of the car taken apart so you can
remove the stock deck and install the new one, it is ridiculous. Someone
with experience should be able to do a reroute install in about 90 - 120
minutes. So at $70/hour, that's ~$130 for the installation. Throw in the kit
and add tax you end up with ~$230. This doesn't include the cost of the deck
you are installing, but I didn't think your post was including that in the
$500 quote.

4) For the money, I would not bother with the reroute. A Metra harness is
$20 and not rerouting will save almost an hour on the install. I have left
the lights on a few times, but the system has run-down protection

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Gravity

This guy is ripping you off. The harness to relocate the factory deck to the
trunk is $9

:-D I just cut the cheese!
wrote in message

[...]

Gravity

oops.. don't know what happened there. The harness is $99 CDN at all of my
local stores.

:-D I just cut the cheese!

wrote in message

[...]

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:39:10 -0400, "Gravity"
wrote:

oops.. don't know what happened there. The harness is $99 CDN at all of my
local stores.

i went to best buy, and they will reloacte my stock deck to the trunk
for 80 bucks canadien...so i am quite happy about that!!!!!! now i can
get a nice deck

username

And nice thing about getting it done at BBY is that if something does get
****ed up, they are gonna cover you because they are backed by large
insurance companies. Could sometimes be a hassle trying to get them to pay
off a claim, but what company is easy doing that? :P One thing I will
suggest to you, is read all the fine print, and make sure a check-in and out
is completed before you sign anything. Trust me, I work at a BBY install
bay and it amazes me at how many times customers do not read anything and
just sign a blank invoice. Not that I am shisty or anything, just
principle.

wrote:

oops.. don't know what happened there. The harness is $99 CDN at all of

my
local stores.

i went to best buy, and they will reloacte my stock deck to the trunk
for 80 bucks canadien...so i am quite happy about that!!!!!! now i can
get a nice deck

Daniel Snooks

username wrote
90-120minutes? Geez, I can do this car (non-relocating) in about

15minutes.
If I am relocating, then give me a total of about 45-60minutes. Numbers
could probably be lower, but I usually have to answer customer phone calls
and customer walk-ins. And I never said that it will mess with your ABS

as
a fact, those are just rumors I heard. But I don't buy it.

15 minutes? I call bull****. Even once you know exactly how to remove the
dash and deck it takes almost 15 minutes to get the factory deck OUT, never
mind installing the new deck and putting it back together, so I would say 25
minutes minimum. Maybe you are just smarter then the average bear, but is
any shop in the universe going to put down the labour cost of doing a simple
deck install at 0.25 hours? Give me a break, and be realistic about what a
customer will PAY for in terms of labour, not how long it actually takes to
do the work.

Also, I did not mean to suggest that you said/believed the ABS rumour, only
wanted to let him know that I had heard a different opinion of what could be
affected.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

username

And you know what, I am going to bring my camcorder into work today and if I
do a cavalier, I will record it and capture it to the computer so you can
watch and see. Better?

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
[...]

Michael Hughes

i dunno, its odd, for some reason the stock radio in my 1985 BMW 635csi
caused the spedometer to short circut, removing it solved the problem.....

"username" wrote in message
et...
Well I can honestly say that I have never run into a problem with removing
non-RDS radios. When I remove the basic radio systems, there has never

been
any problems, and I've installed over 100 in the 3 years that modle has be
developed. People say your air bags won't deploy, your abs gets ****ed
,yadda yadda yadda. I've never had a single problem, and even one of the
cars got totalled and the air bags did deploy as they should. So I think
it's just a myth with that.

The reason for having the module or reloacting the stock stereo with the

RDS
radio is to keep certain functions intact. For instance, being able to
reset the tire and oil lights (which is done through the factory radio).
However, there are secondary alternatives to resetting these which you can
find in the owners manual. You do loose the horn honk function when

locking
your doors with your remote transmitter. And you will lose the door chime
function (which is through the factory radio) with both systems.

So with your setup, don't be afraid, you are good to go. And I know RDS
(Radio Date System) has nothing to do with the cars functions, but radios
that have that are the ones that are used to reset the above functions and
typically have the most running through them.

wrote in message

[...]

Daniel Snooks

username wrote
And you know what, I am going to bring my camcorder into work today and if

do a cavalier, I will record it and capture it to the computer so you can
watch and see. Better?

Sounds like a great show ... I stand corrected.
Right after sending that last reply I wondered if I was getting a little too
bitchin' for someone who doesn't install for a living (I know how quickly I
can do electrical work compared to people that don't do it day in and day
out).
I do have a question for you though. Have you ever installed a Rockford
Fosgate deck in a Cavy? That was what I put in mine and I had to cut out
quite a bit of the plastic bracing in the dash to get it to fit. The deck is
VERY deep, I was so surprised at the trouble I was having that I put it
beside my Clarion DRX and found it was indeed almost 3/4" deeper. I was
using the Metra adapter that gives the DIN on top and the cubby-hole on the
bottom. Are there other adapters that put the deck on the bottom (it looked
that that would have helped me out, but the adapter only fit in one way).

Sorry for shooting off my lip, foot firmly inserted :-/

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Paul Vina

Every Metra kit I've ever sold, installed or used on one of my personal
vehicles has allowed the use of the radio's trim ring. The ISO mounts do
not have to be used.

Paul Vina

"username" wrote in message
Depending on what year your vehicle is (2000+), I have only see the kits
that have the pocket at the bottom. The metra kit I do not like that much
(if we are thinking of the same one) because it is an ISO mount style and
not allowing for the factory trim of your radio to be used. I use at my
shop an American Internation kit (GMK-420) which allows for the radio's

trim
ring to be kept on giving a better look. Downside to this kit though is
that it sits into the radio cavity more, which would create even more
problems for you getting the deck in. As for removing alot of plastic in
the radio cavity, I have to do that all the time. Just typical stuff

there.
Especially when doing Kenwood radios, cause they average almost 8" in

depth!
BTW, I havn't done any Cavaliers lately at the shop, but still waiting if
you want proof.

[...]

username

I cannot remember the exact model of the kit, but this one did not. It was
the first time I've ever seen it too. Unless it was Scosche, but I don't
think it was, believe it was Metra. But I cannot find their website now to
find it.

"username" wrote in message
[...]

username

I use a Quick Cutter from Snap-On, which is basically a mini hand held
hacksaw. As for what to cut, trial and error that you "think" is in the
way.

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
Paul Vina wrote
Every Metra kit I've ever sold, installed or used on one of my personal
vehicles has allowed the use of the radio's trim ring. The ISO mounts

do
not have to be used.

Paul Vina

I was surprised as well Paul, but this one certainly does not allow the

use
of the trim. Luckily the deck looks perfectly at home without it.

Username, what do you use to clear out the plastic crap that is in the

way?
A dremel? Made an awful mess off shavings in there.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Deck problem...Help, again! :) Car Audio 0 August 26th 03 12:33 AM
Deck problem...Help! :) Car Audio 0 August 26th 03 12:17 AM
Alpine deck blew my subs! Indiglow Car Audio 9 August 16th 03 01:46 AM
Installing Alpine CDA-9815 on a Acura RSX Type-S - problem DK Car Audio 1 August 13th 03 05:13 AM
Installing new deck in 98 BMW with Harmon Kardon, want to keep stock speakers Bentley Bear Car Audio 0 July 26th 03 07:09 PM