mark palmos

Default buzz problem, HELP PLEASE!

Hello there folks,

I am trying to sort out a buzzing problem I have when connecting my laptop
to my hifi.

If I plug the laptop into Mains (AC power), then into my HiFi which is also
plugged into Mains, there is a buzz problem.

If I plug the laptop into Mains but listen on headphones (using the same
minijack output socket), there is no problem

If I use battery power on the laptop and connect it to my HiFi, there is no
problem...

SO there is only a problem when BOTH laptop AND HiFi are connected to the
Mains.

Anyone have any ideas what to do to fix it, or where the problem comes from?

Your input would me MASSIVELY appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:57:47 -0000, "mark palmos"
wrote:

Hello there folks,

I am trying to sort out a buzzing problem I have when connecting my laptop
to my hifi.

If I plug the laptop into Mains (AC power), then into my HiFi which is also
plugged into Mains, there is a buzz problem.

If I plug the laptop into Mains but listen on headphones (using the same
minijack output socket), there is no problem

If I use battery power on the laptop and connect it to my HiFi, there is no
problem...

SO there is only a problem when BOTH laptop AND HiFi are connected to the
Mains.

Anyone have any ideas what to do to fix it, or where the problem comes from?

Your input would me MASSIVELY appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark.

Sounds like a classic ground loop. Try building your own cables and
don't connect the sheilds on the RCA ends.

Iggy